Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Penny's Last Name Paradox

58 posts in this topic

Posted

This used to bug the crap out of me. But since I read that the writers now have a thing about it, and are not going to tell us anytime soon what Penny's last name is, I care less. 

No doubt there will be some kind of revelation, some day. But if the writers are superstitious about it.... it might not be until the very end of the series. 

Posted

Penny's last name has become a real inconsistency with the show. If you all realize it,  Sheldon quite often tends to use the full names of his peers when he addresses them, most specifically Amy Farah Fowler. you would think that at some point in the past he would have done this with Penny.

Posted (edited)

I enjoy this little conceit. The characters all know her last name, else it would be discussed in the show as a mystery. Its just a cute device to irk some and be a pending gift or Easter egg for the viewers. Its a puzzle or device that has to be accepted for the moment, like the Force, transporter beams and that they continue to make Transformer movies. I'm just hoping the final reveal either won't occur, or will be better than Mr Lucas's "midi-chlorians".

Edited by Nogravitasatall
Count Wally de Honk likes this

Posted

I really do not think they will reveal her last name. If they do reveal it, I think a good way to do it would be in the last season if Penny and Leonard are going to get married I could see Penny not wanting to change her last name and causing a fight between her and leonard. That would give them the opportunity to reveal it.

OR

A good joke would be that Penny doesn't want to change her last name because she like her own last name better than Hofstadter but they still do not reveal it to the audience. It would drive people nuts!

koops likes this

Posted

I think the guys have always known Penny's last name, and it has always been established through out the show, just no one has bothered to ask her last name. You would think Leonard would he used to bring her mail over to her in S1 just as an excuse to talk to her, then get a foot in the fabled apartment haha, but I guess like I said know one asked her, I am sure the writers well reveal her last name when the times right, although I don't see what the big deal is every other characters last name has been revealed, its not like Penny has a sordid past wow shocking reveal! Penny was a Experiemental Physicist in a previous life! haha. 

Posted

Penny's surname is Schlurgenheifentroudlehurmer. Obviously.

That is why she's never told it to the guys.

She's ashamed.

"You chose a cold night to visit our dead planet," he said.  "Who ... who are you?" stammered Arthur.  The man looked away. Again a look of sadness seemed to cross his face.  "My name is not important," he said. Arthur looked at the old man, his face illuminated by the dull glow of tiny lights on the instrument panel.  "Excuse me," he said to him, "what is your name, by the way?"  "My name?" said the old man, and the same distant sadness came into his face again. He paused. "My name," he said, "is Slartibartfast."  Arthur practically choked.  "I beg your pardon?" he spluttered.  "Slartibartfast," repeated the old man quietly.  "Slartibartfast?"  The old man looked at him gravely.  "I said it wasn't important," he said.

Willo the Wisp likes this

Posted

I really do not think they will reveal her last name. If they do reveal it, I think a good way to do it would be in the last season if Penny and Leonard are going to get married I could see Penny not wanting to change her last name and causing a fight between her and leonard. That would give them the opportunity to reveal it.

OR

A good joke would be that Penny doesn't want to change her last name because she like her own last name better than Hofstadter but they still do not reveal it to the audience. It would drive people nuts!

LOL I would love this last scenario!