Popular Pages on the Main Site:   Next Episode | Official Merchandise | Sheldon Quotes | Latest News | Episode Guide

Welcome to The Big Bang Theory Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Bernadette's Voice

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 rollthebones

rollthebones

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:47 PM

I don't understand why they increase the pitch so much. I've heard Melissa Rauch in interviews and I think her normal voice sounds much better.

What do you think?

#2 KingCon

KingCon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 08:19 AM

I agree

#3 HeWolf

HeWolf

On The Prowl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 09:11 AM

Melissa said in an interview that she patterns Bernadette's voice after her mother. The way she said it made it sound like it was her choice, not the producers.

#4 phantagrae

phantagrae

Hooligan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,193 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 12:57 PM

I believe it is definitely an acting/character choice, from what she said in that interview.

#5 muttle

muttle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 03:18 AM

Does/did Mellisa Raunch actually provide Mrs Wolowitz's voice, or is she just imitating it after the event ?

#6 zoomerxvii

zoomerxvii

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 03:36 AM

Does/did Mellisa Raunch actually provide Mrs Wolowitz's voice, or is she just imitating it after the event ?

No a different actress does Mrs Wolowitz. Forgot her name, but she has been there since the early episodes.

#7 phantagrae

phantagrae

Hooligan

• Members
  • 6,193 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 06:54 AM

She does not perform Mrs. Wolowitz's voice--there's a different actress that has performed that role from the beginning. I forget her first name but I think her last name is Susi. You can see it in the end credits in episodes with her voice.
Melissa Rauch just does a great imitation of her. :)

Edited by phantagrae, 26 September 2012 - 06:55 AM.

#8 Hocus_Pocus_Pocahontas

Hocus_Pocus_Pocahontas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 01:16 PM

I like it, it goes with her teeny character :D And when she mimicks Mrs. Wolowitz!? AWESOME!!!

#9 rollthebones

rollthebones

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 12:03 AM

No a different actress does Mrs Wolowitz. Forgot her name, but she has been there since the early episodes.

Carol Ann Susi. This is her in an episode of Seinfeld:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maYUQyC3jo4

Edited by rollthebones, 28 September 2012 - 12:04 AM.

• Tripper likes this

#10 alisaperne

alisaperne

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 01:01 PM

I think the high pitch voice of Melissa Rauch is suitable for the character of Bernadette. Bernadette is like a young girl in this show and I think Melissa did it on purpose just to give more character and it works. I find it cute actually. :icon_lol:

#11 walnutcowboy

walnutcowboy

SUPER LEGEND

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,559 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 08:55 PM

I can only stand her voice for so long. I'm glad she's not on for an hour. I would be crazy to marry someone with a voice that gets my dog's attention.
  • Moonbase likes this

#12 wannamaker

wannamaker

Executive Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 949 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 11:35 AM

I can only stand her voice for so long. I'm glad she's not on for an hour. I would be crazy to marry someone with a voice that gets my dog's attention.

So much for your dog's attention :lol: well get the dog into the kennel, when she is on, for its own sake...

Edited by wannamaker, 20 June 2013 - 11:42 AM.

#13 wannamaker

wannamaker

Executive Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 949 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 11:41 AM

I believe it is definitely an acting/character choice, from what she said in that interview.

Exactly. It's not her own choice to sound like a Chippendale cartoon character in adfdition they use a device to overspeed her lines.

If you listen with care at times her lines are faster and broken up (almost not grasping what she is saying) and other times she sounds more normal. Yes she is very good at making funny voices and creepy too ;)

#14 phantagrae

phantagrae

Hooligan

• Members
  • 6,193 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 11:55 AM

Exactly. It's not her own choice to sound like a Chippendale cartoon character in adfdition they use a device to overspeed her lines.

If you listen with care at times her lines are faster and broken up (almost not grasping what she is saying) and other times she sounds more normal. Yes she is very good at making funny voices and creepy too ;)

No, she chose the character voice from the time she auditioned for the role.  She said it's based on her mother's voice.

Where do you get the idea that they use a device on her lines?

People have seen her in the live tapings and no one has ever mentioned--nor has she, when asked about her voice on the show--that there's any such tampering going on.  They wouldn't bother doing something like that where they had to tweak every line a certain actor says.

#15 wannamaker

wannamaker

Executive Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 949 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 12:58 PM

Oh yes of course...what was I thinking. What a nerd!

Just try to deliver a line at that speed with no biting your tongue :p

#16 phantagrae

phantagrae

Hooligan

• Members
  • 6,193 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 09:26 PM

Oh yes of course...what was I thinking. What a nerd!

Just try to deliver a line at that speed with no biting your tongue :p

I don't know what the h$$$ you're talking about.  I've never heard her lines as being speeded up or whatever.  I think you're completely wrong.

#17 wannamaker

wannamaker

Executive Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 949 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 04:48 PM

What a lame thing to say that her mother has a voice like Chippendale cartoon character in real life, if was me I'd keep it to myself :ph34r:

#18 Ar Diem

Ar Diem

Official Hat Wearer

• Chat Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,214 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 06:15 PM

Geez, another ancient thread?  If the thread hasn't had any life for more than a couple of months start a new one, please. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users