Popular Pages on the Main Site:   Next Episode | Official Merchandise | Sheldon Quotes | Latest News | Episode Guide

Welcome to The Big Bang Theory Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Howard - The Letter From His Father

Howard Father Poll

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

Poll: Howard - The Letter From His Father (61 member(s) have cast votes)

The real message from Howards dad came from...?

1. Raj (3 votes [4.92%])

Percentage of vote: 4.92%

2. Sheldon (7 votes [11.48%])

Percentage of vote: 11.48%

3. Amy (17 votes [27.87%])

Percentage of vote: 27.87%

4. Penny (3 votes [4.92%])

Percentage of vote: 4.92%

5. Leonard (23 votes [37.70%])

Percentage of vote: 37.70%

6. Bernadette (8 votes [13.11%])

Percentage of vote: 13.11%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Moonbase

Moonbase

Laser on stun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,410 posts

Not my favourite episode but we can still have some fun with it.

Which character do you think told Howard the correct message from his father? ….and why. Do you think his father will make an appearance? William Shatner has been suggested by a few on the net.

Was it...

Raj's 18th birthday card?
Sheldon's Goonies treasure map?
Amy's graduation story?
Penny's double-life story?
Leonard's message about not throwing away family?
Bernadette's baby photo story and gift message?

Personally, I think it's Leonard's message but I'm voting Penny's because it would lead to more fun. Even if the guy is crazy and thinks he's a spy it would work for me.

< else />

• Gypeglogy likes this

Europa

Europa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Sheldon referred to it more than once as a "letter" - that was Leonard's, right? 

Moonbase

Moonbase

Laser on stun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,410 posts

Sheldon referred to it more than once as a "letter" - that was Leonard's, right? 

He did. Which could be Leonard's, Amy's, Penny's or Bernadette's if the photo was wrapped inside a note.

Europa

Europa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Hmm.  I'm still going to go with Leonard, although I like Amy's graduation story too.   

I really like how they did that.  It was a cool solution.  

• gaqo likes this

delsino

delsino

Senior Executive Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,304 posts

I also think it is Leonard's.

IMO, I think they would give the real "story" to someone close to Howard, Raj, Leonard or Bernadette. I don't think it was Raj or Bernadette's because he could feel from the envelope if there was a photo or a card. Sheldon's was the goonies. Penny's seemed, to me, the least unlikely. 

Either way, they all had me tearing up :)

koops

koops

Senior Partner: Midol & Seagull, ESQ

• Chat Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,396 posts

I'd like Amy's, Penny's or Leonard's. But realistically it's either Amy's or Leonard's. I can't decide which one I prefer between these two. 

untilyou

untilyou

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

I really love Amy's version. It's so deep, so touching and so beautiful. And the way she delivered it was both gentle and serious. 

• AdorkablyMe and howwerollintheshire like this

tmp

tmp

I loathe cliffhangers

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,463 posts

I thought the acting in that whole scene was great.  They all (except Jim) got to show their dramatic chops.

Moonbase

Moonbase

Laser on stun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,410 posts

So Amy's slightly in the lead with the graduation story. If they did cast Howard's dad  we might learn which one of these is real. Somehow I don't think they will do this because it would spoil the idea... so I'm going to guess and say we won't see Howard's dad.

ShamyFTW

ShamyFTW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

I liked Amy's, and Bernadette's but you probably could tell if there was a photo included in the envelope. The were very credible besides Sheldon's.

Miss Kitka

Miss Kitka

Soft Kitty, Warm Kitty, Little Ball Of Fur.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,042 posts
It's a toss-up between Leonard or Amy.

JoeSal90

JoeSal90

Senior Executive Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,556 posts

I liked Amy's message, but like koops it is realistically that's either Amy's or Leonard's. But I can't also decide which one I prefer between these two. And hopefully the writers will explore this even further in future episodes.

Lissie

Lissie

Senior Executive Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,278 posts

Well, the question here is which message I THINK is the real and not which message I LIKE MORE.

Bernadette´s and Amy´s are the most beautiful IMO and these are the ones I like more.

Leonard story will be ok if this message was sent after Howard marriage but in reality was sent in his 18th birthday.

BUT sadly I think the real message was Raj´s. Maybe because this is the way I imagine his father. He was who knows where and then suddenly he remembered that his son was in his 18th birthday then he sent a fast letter telling happy birthday to him. It is good Howard never opened it. I don´t know if I want to see him :(

Edited by Lissie, 15 March 2013 - 05:51 PM.

Lissie

Lissie

Senior Executive Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,278 posts

But if the writers decide to make his father come to the program and to be accepted for the group the only story working IMO will be Penny´s.

Pomita

Pomita

Senior Executive Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,076 posts

I liked Amy's graduation story (and the delivery of it) most; but for most probable, I think I'll go with Bernadette. Her story is equally plausible (all 5 are), but I have a feeling they would give the true version to his wife.

Still, I like not knowing and being in a state of epistemic ambivalence. :D

Sheldon was super-annoying in this scene, but I guess that was the point.. to have him keep interrupting with his absurdities, to keep the tone from getting completely serious and deep. They've already dared to make a pretty deep episode, as it is.

Moonbase

Moonbase

Laser on stun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,410 posts

I liked Amy's graduation story (and the delivery of it) most; but for most probable, I think I'll go with Bernadette. Her story is equally plausible (all 5 are), but I have a feeling they would give the true version to his wife.

Still, I like not knowing and being in a state of epistemic ambivalence. :D

Sheldon was super-annoying in this scene, but I guess that was the point.. to have him keep interrupting with his absurdities, to keep the tone from getting completely serious and deep. They've already dared to make a pretty deep episode, as it is.

Sheldon was super annoying because the version of the message he came up with wasn't funny.

tmp

tmp

I loathe cliffhangers

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,463 posts

That was my first reaction too but now I'm not so sure.  She might be too close to the situation.  Leonard seemed to be the leader, calling on everyone when it was their turn.  Leonard's story was an expression of regret as well as fatherly advice not to repeat his mistakes, which resonated with me.  When I read the taping report I was disappointed they didn't reveal which was the real story, but now having seen the episode I'm like Howard.  I want them all to be real and it's OK not to know which one it was.

Pomita

Pomita

Senior Executive Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,076 posts

It wasn't funny, but it was Sheldonesque in his convoluted way of making up stories with absurd names et al. They did get him to interrupt a little too often, though.

That was my first reaction too but now I'm not so sure.  She might be
too close to the situation.  Leonard seemed to be the leader, calling
on everyone when it was their turn.  Leonard's story was an expression
of regret as well as fatherly advice not to repeat his mistakes, which
resonated with me.  When I read the taping report I was disappointed
they didn't reveal which was the real story, but now having seen the
episode I'm like Howard.  I want them all to be real and it's OK not to
know which one it was.

You may be right. His version was actually the most pragmatic one, while Amy and Bernadette's stories were purely emotional and Penny's was a little far-fetched.

I agree with not needing to know. For all that, the truth may also be a linear combination of all their stories (besides Sheldon), to different extents.

Edited by Pomita, 15 March 2013 - 08:02 PM.

phantagrae

phantagrae

Hooligan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,072 posts
I kind of want all of them to be part of the truth, so that each of them mentioned a portion of the whole story.
Except Sheldon's story. Though it would be really funny if the letter had included some kind of treasure map. :p

If I had to choose only one, I think I'd go with Leonard's story. When Howard was in space I was wondering what it would be like if his dad would suddenly show up after having seen him on the news or something.
But I also like what we saw of Howard bonding with Bernie's dad, so I don't know if I'd want to see Howard's dad showing up at this point.
I did like this episode, though. It was a really nice look at this part of who Howard is. And though perhaps Bernie overstepped a bit, I do think that it could have been important for her to know the contents in case it was something crucial. Even though Sheldon knew the contents, who knows whether he'd understand what might be important.

And I loved Sheldon and his interruptions. I think that he wanted his story to be considered as a real possibility, even though he wasn't able to imagine a plausible alternative to the true story, which he didn't get to tell, even though he knew the true story. And I loved him and Amy in that scene. :)
  • tmp likes this

tmp

tmp

I loathe cliffhangers

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,463 posts

It wasn't funny, but it was Sheldonesque in his convoluted way of making up stories with absurd names et al. They did get him to interrupt a little too often, though.

You may be right. His version was actually the most pragmatic one, while Amy and Bernadette's stories were purely emotional and Penny's was a little far-fetched.

I agree with not needing to know. For all that, the truth may also be a linear combination of all their stories (besides Sheldon), to different extents.

Pom, are you a math person?  Sounds like you've taken matrix (linear) algebra. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users