Popular Pages on the Main Site:   Next Episode | Official Merchandise | Sheldon Quotes | Latest News | Episode Guide

Welcome to The Big Bang Theory Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

I'm Sick Of Sheldon!

• Please log in to reply
137 replies to this topic

Ray Ellis

Ray Ellis

• Newbies
  • PipPip
  • 1 posts

I have stopped watching TBBT because Sheldon, the host of behavioural diseases that merit incarceration and Lithium, always seems to win.  He never pays for his egocentric abuse of everyone else, his narcisism, his smarmy self-satisfaction.  Even Penny punching his whining face doesn't make the abuse bearable.  In anything resembling a real world, he would have his ass kicked by everyone within a half mile,  And he deserves it!

Yeah, go ahead, flame me, tell me how wonderful Sheldon is. 

I respect your right to be horribly wrong.

< else />

• abormoumb, eirwinrommel, thephantom and 1 other like this

BlackWhiteRose

BlackWhiteRose

*loveTBBT*

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 826 posts

Like Sheldons mum would say: " And that is your opinion." Thats all I have to say about that.

• rachelshamyfan, abormoumb, silverangel and 3 others like this

koops

koops

Senior Partner: Midol & Seagull, ESQ

• Chat Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,452 posts

LOL, I hope to God you don't work as a psychiatrist/psychologist/therapist of any kind.

• BlackWhiteRose, HeWolf, rachelshamyfan and 4 others like this

phantagrae

phantagrae

Hooligan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,187 posts

POPULAR

I love it when people sign up on a forum just to come on and post something ridiculously over the top like this.  Feel free to stop watching, if you don't like it.  That's the way of the world.

• BlackWhiteRose, BangerMain, rachelshamyfan and 7 others like this

eirwinrommel

eirwinrommel

Senior Executive Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

I have stopped watching TBBT because Sheldon, the host of behavioural diseases that merit incarceration and Lithium, always seems to win.  He never pays for his egocentric abuse of everyone else, his narcisism, his smarmy self-satisfaction.  Even Penny punching his whining face doesn't make the abuse bearable.  In anything resembling a real world, he would have his ass kicked by everyone within a half mile,  And he deserves it!

Yeah, go ahead, flame me, tell me how wonderful Sheldon is. 

I respect your right to be horribly wrong.

While I agree about Sheldon being a pain, I haven't stopped watching the show. Actually I stopped watching TV over a year ago, but I download the few shows I like and watch them later. It was great last summer not to see all the political ad's.

rickfromillinois

rickfromillinois

Senior Executive Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,115 posts

I do have to agree that in real life people would be constantly punching Sheldon, both men and women, but in real life Penny would have nothing to do with any of them.  The show isn't real life, it is a comedy, which means that things are often exagerated for comedic purposes.  It also seems to me that when he goes too far one of the other characters often smacks him down (in a non-violent way).   Actually it seems to me that Sheldon has gotten much better in his inter-personal relationships then when the show first started.   I would also like to add that his friends, and they are his friends, realize that most of the time he doesn't really know that sometimes his actions are less then socially acceptable, but they feel that his good points outweigh the bad.

• Martin Pollard and Lionne like this

Willo the Wisp

Willo the Wisp

Mantis Fancier

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,446 posts

I do love Sheldon, but I see what you mean. He's one of those characters that would be impossible to live with in real life. This is a sitcom, though, and they do tent to have larger-than-life characters. Larger-than-life characters would be pointless if they stopped their dramatic behaviour as soon as another character got mad with them.

I must say you're making a very controversial first impression as a new member. I don't know whether to congratulate you or start worrying...

I think I'll start worrying.

Edited by Willo the Wisp, 16 July 2013 - 04:06 AM.

koops

koops

• Chat Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,452 posts

I personally do not care what he/she thinks of Sheldon as a character, it's the "host of behavioral diseases that merit incarceration or Lithium" that I find extremely disturbing. Because, while he might not be labeled as such (and need not to be), Sheldon shares many traits with people who, in RL, are on the Aspergers/Autism spectrum. If you condone punching someone like him in RL, you're a typical example of someone who doesn't stop and think for 5 minutes whether there might be a valid reason why people don't behave in a 'conventional' way. I am extremely uncomfortable with that. People like Sheldon might not be easy to live with or put up with, but thank God there are other people who are willing to see past that instead of developing hatred.

• phantagrae, Martin Pollard, MJistheBOMB and 2 others like this

ajond

ajond

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

I personally do not care what he/she thinks of Sheldon as a character, it's the "host of behavioral diseases that merit incarceration or Lithium" that I find extremely disturbing. Because, while he might not be labeled as such (and need not to be), Sheldon shares many traits with people who, in RL, are on the Aspergers/Autism spectrum. If you condone punching someone like him in RL, you're a typical example of someone who doesn't stop and think for 5 minutes whether there might be a valid reason why people don't behave in a 'conventional' way. I am extremely uncomfortable with that. People like Sheldon might not be easy to live with or put up with, but thank God there are other people who are willing to see past that instead of developing hatred.

Sheldon is just a pain in the arse. Labelling him as Possible Aspergers or Autism is just a convenient way of explaining his behaviour. As fo L hitting him, did he not hit L to warn him off Amy.

• eirwinrommel likes this

koops

koops

• Chat Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,452 posts

Sheldon is just a pain in the arse. Labelling him as Possible Aspergers or Autism is just a convenient way of explaining his behaviour. As fo L hitting him, did he not hit L to warn him off Amy.

That's exactly what people say about people with Aspergers and Autism! "Oh they're just being a pain in the arse". Are you serious?? Incarceration and Lithium is an acceptable answer??? It's one thing to hit someone the way L hit him, but what's being suggested here is way beyond that. Please. 

• silverangel likes this

ajond

ajond

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

That's exactly what people say about people with Aspergers and Autism! "Oh they're just being a pain in the arse". Are you serious?? Incarceration and Lithium is an acceptable answer??? It's one thing to hit someone the way L hit him, but what's being suggested here is way beyond that. Please. 

So how did you come up with Aspergers/Autism. Why is pain in the arse not an equally valid explanation.

koops

koops

• Chat Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,452 posts

Because the OP explicitly stated "a host of BEHAVIORAL DISEASES that merit incarceration and lithium". There's a big difference between being a deliberate pain in the arse because you do not care about others and being a pain in the arse because your brain does not work the way most people's does. Those disorders are not made up excuses to justify people acting like jerks. The OP is clearly recognizing Sheldon has behavioral issues and yet states that people with such issues should be incarcerated. I have very big issues with that. 

Like I said, dislike Sheldon all you want, but to say you dislike him because he has "behavioral diseases that merit incarceration" is not acceptable, I'm sorry.

• phantagrae, Martin Pollard, bigbangsheldon and 5 others like this

ajond

ajond

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Because the OP explicitly stated "a host of BEHAVIORAL DISEASES that merit incarceration and lithium". There's a big difference between being a deliberate pain in the arse because you do not care about others and being a pain in the arse because your brain does not work the way most people's does. Those disorders are not made up excuses to justify people acting like jerks. The OP is clearly recognizing Sheldon has behavioral issues and yet states that people with such issues should be incarcerated. I have very big issues with that. 

Like I said, dislike Sheldon all you want, but to say you dislike him because he has "behavioral diseases that merit incarceration" is not acceptable, I'm sorry.

I never said any of that, I was merely commenting on your claim of Aspergers/Autism.He could just be a pain in the arse and not have some conveniently manufactured syndrome.

wannamaker

wannamaker

Executive Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 949 posts

However...it cannot be denied there's something not quite right about Sheldon...he is a giant-ass! :lol:

• eirwinrommel likes this

sheldon4ever

sheldon4ever

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Sheldon is the most funny caracter in this show!!! i mean to be serious this show would never be so famous and would never win so many prices without sheldon... he is the one who hold the show together, without him, noones gonna watch it anymore... sheldon is a honest person, he says what he thinks, he never care of anybodys opinion, he just lives his life no matter what others might think... and thats why i wnat to be like him... i mean he is a great physisist, and of course he is a genius... also in real world a lot of people, who we called geniuses, werent so friendly, had ticks ... and sheldon is there for his friends, he do realize when he makes mistakes like in the episode, when howard cant work on this projekt because sheldon told something about the mars rover accident... he even gave him his spot!!! and thats the biggest sign of friendship he did... you see sheldon as a autist, but he isnt... he hugs penny, and he said the spiderman line to amy... with penny and amy there is such a big relationship, not in the way you see it, not in the way, normal people would define a relationship, but it is a realtionship... of course sheldon isnt normal, but he is emotional, sincere, honest and a very good friend... dont put him in the asperger situation, cause he is more than that... 

• Letícia Parsons Jackson and Mel like this

phantagrae

phantagrae

Hooligan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,187 posts

I never said any of that, I was merely commenting on your claim of Aspergers/Autism.He could just be a pain in the arse and not have some conveniently manufactured syndrome.

They've never labled him as having any such condition on the show (and what would that be like--making fun of someone because of such a condition?), but some viewers want to insist that he is indeed somewhere on the Autism scale.

The OP is the one who asserted that Sheldon is someone with such behavioral DISEASES and then further stated that someone with such issues should be incarcerated or given Lithium.  The idea that someone with such a condition must be incarcerated or drugged is what is offensive.

While Sheldon may be a pain to live with, he is A) not a person with such conditions, and B ) if he were such a person, the solution would NOT be "incarceration and Lithium".

However difficult Sheldon may be, the truth of the show is that, like the other nerdy guys, he is a human being and is still someone worthy of understanding and even love.  I think that one of the greatest aspects of the show is how the characters care for each other, including Sheldon.

While he is full of pride that prevents him from being open about his feelings, there is no doubt that he does love his friends.  And the others, especially Leonard, are able to look past all of his egotism and bluster and understand that he is as vulnerable as they all are.

They're all off-kilter in their own ways, being who they are and having gone through being bullied or misunderstood, but Sheldon's case is very different from the others because of his background as a child prodigy that put him out of sync with everyone as he was growing up.  That is part of what makes him unable to relate properly to others and, yeah, makes him a pain in the butt.

But his friends still love him.

Edited by phantagrae, 16 July 2013 - 10:24 AM.

koops

koops

• Chat Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,452 posts

To be fair, the people who insist he should be labeled aren't just pulling it out of thin air. He *does* have a lot of traits someone on the spectrum has. Just like he doesn't have some other traits. And, to a lesser extent, so does Amy. I don't think the point the writers want to make with their refusal to label him is to state he doesn't have the condition or that they want to get away with making fun of someone with the condition, but that, just like Molaro said at Paley, labels should not matter. You don't need a label to give someone the benefit of the doubt and a bit of understanding. Just like it doesn't all have to be all doom and gloom and there shouldn't be any humor in the situation if someone does have the label. He could have the condition, or there may be many other good reasons why he is like he is (like his development as a child prodigy), or it could be a combination of both for different aspects of his personality.  

If he isn't labeled, he isn't any less special or worthy of understanding, and if he were to be labeled he wouldn't be any less of a human being. Which is why I find people who are vehemently opposed to him being labeled just as baffling as those who insist he should be. Why does it matter, one way or another? What is important is that he obviously has a big baggage of issues, for whatever reason, that his friends are willing to look past (most of the time) and he is trying to work through to function in the world and in his relationships. And so do a lot of people like him in real life who shouldn't be incarcerated just because they can't help what they are, they're not easy to deal with, or they don't fit the mold of the perfectly adjusted average Joe. 

I'm just going to gloss over the 'conveniently manifactured syndrome' comment because that's not worth my time.

• AndyRenee likes this

gaqo

gaqo

Executive Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 985 posts

I think the writers have to be careful about 'labeling' him, that could lead them into all sorts of problems, but there's no denying that he displays symptoms, and those symptoms are synonymous with Aspergers syndrome. I'm going to read that book 'Look me in the Eyes'(JP used for research), and another book I've just heard about, written by a boy in Japan with autism . I think those who deny he has  recognised mental health conditions, are living in 'denial', what is that a symptom of? And why would they deny it anyway? I agree with Koops! (savant: a learned person,esp,a distinguished scientist).

sheldon4ever

sheldon4ever

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

i am sorry but i dont see symptoms of asperger in sheldons behaviour!

he is a person who find a way to be happy in his life... in a world where nothing is forever, in a world you can rarely count on people, where you trust someone, where you love someone, but this person doesnt love you back... you give 100 procent and you get nothing back... in a world where everybody lies, where there isnt real, true love, where marriages crush down, where there isnt any hope, in a world with wars, with pain, where no person listen to each other, where there isnt any love in the faces of the people on the streets, where you get hurt when you be not normal, when you be emotional, when you be different...

in such a world sheldon finds a way to deal with all of it.... he makes rules which gives him a feeling of eternity... he doenst like to touch people, he doesnt like to talk about feelings, because he doesnt want to be hurt... in his childhood he learned that there isnt any acceptance for different people, he learned that you get mocked, that you cant be happy when you count on things people say... so he just want him to protect himself from getting hurt... he cant find trust in people because he knows exactly how it hurts when you trust someone and you get hurt... he sees the world exactly how it is and all his ticks, all his begaviour is a way to get happy in a world that doesnt like person like him....

Willo the Wisp

Willo the Wisp

Mantis Fancier

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,446 posts

I tend not to press myself with the deep psychological implications of characters. I like Sheldon. He's over-the-top, sometimes perplexing (but I always get where he's coming from with all his idiosyncracies -  The spot, the meticulous takeaway order, etc.) and I'm sure we can all agree, is not a big people-person. He's a larger than life fictional character and the writers and cast have said themselves in one way or another: he just is. He's got his own happy little bubble formed for the most part and though he annoys his friends they still care about him, and he does care about them too. I do not think it is necessary for people to stick a disorder on everyone who behaves out of the widely-considered ''ordinary''. Neither do I think it's necessary for you, Ray Ellis, to get so worked up about a character that you can just change the channel to escape if you hate him so much.

I will shut up now.

Edited by Willo the Wisp, 16 July 2013 - 01:37 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users