Popular Pages on the Main Site:   Next Episode | Official Merchandise | Sheldon Quotes | Latest News | Episode Guide

Welcome to The Big Bang Theory Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

New Mobile Site

News

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Tripper

Tripper

Piemaster General

• Administrators
  • 3,057 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 07:30 AM

The main site has had a mobile version for a few months now and although it was an improvement over not having a mobile version, I don't think it was as good as it could be. The main problem was that it was hosted by another company who would traverse the site every time somebody requested a page on the mobile version, making some pages load very slowly for users. There were also problems with which content it could display and couldn't, and the inability to serve different layouts for mobile users where the content would be more useful that way.

I've been working on a mobile version of the site that works more like another theme, so it's on the same server as the site and just displays the content differently. It has a few design and layout changes, but in effect it's a lot like the main site if you just remove the sidebars. The design is more closely based on Version 4, the blue theme, as the header and layout style seemed better suited to mobiles.

I've tested it on a couple of devices and it seems to work fine, and be an improvement over the previous version, but I would like any feedback you may have. I am aware of a few problems with the shop pages, in particular. That content isn't easily slimmed down for mobiles.

If you're on a mobile device, you should see the new mobile site automatically when you visit the main site. If not, you can visit m.the-big-bang-theory.com  to see it. I have attached a few screenshots below to show what it should hopefully look like.

Attached File  mobile1.PNG   106.02KB   6 downloadsAttached File  mobile2.PNG   64.56KB   6 downloadsAttached File  mobile3.PNG   99.49KB   6 downloadsAttached File  mobile4.PNG   49.87KB   6 downloadsAttached File  mobile5.PNG   59.49KB   6 downloads 

• rachelshamyfan likes this

#2 rachelshamyfan

rachelshamyfan

Because Jim and Mayim have a platonic crush on each other

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,109 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 07:52 AM

It looks fine but its just for the main site and not the forums yes?

#3 Willo the Wisp

Willo the Wisp

Mantis Fancier

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,446 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 07:53 AM

Hm... That's pretty good. 

I bet it won't work on my rubbishy phone-that-looks-like-a-Blackberry-but-isn't though...

*Sigh*

#4 Tripper

Tripper

Piemaster General

• Administrators
  • 3,057 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 08:05 AM

It looks fine but its just for the main site and not the forums yes?

Yes, the forums have their own mobile design which comes with the software.

#5 rachelshamyfan

rachelshamyfan

• Members
  • 19,109 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 09:22 AM

OK
On my mobile though I can change from mobile to full site so its the same as if I was looking from pc

#6 Tripper

Tripper

Piemaster General

• Administrators
  • 3,057 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 12:25 PM

In case anybody is looking for a shorter URL for the site or the forums when visiting on mobiles, we have the TBBT.eu domain which will take you to the main site and a sub-domain F.tbbt.eu which brings you to the forums. These also work on computers, of course, so if you don't use a bookmark or similar then these might be helpful.

#7 CaitAmber

CaitAmber

Typo Connoisseur

• Chat Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 01:57 PM

Looks awesome, thanks Tripper!

#8 Tensor

Tensor

Ratings Guru

• Global Moderator
  • 5,087 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 04:23 PM

It really works well on my iPhone. Good job Tripper.

#9 Tripper

Tripper

Piemaster General

• Administrators
  • 3,057 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 04:28 PM

Looks awesome, thanks Tripper!

It really works well on my iPhone. Good job Tripper.

Thank you both for your feedback. :)

#10 Miss Kitka

Miss Kitka

Soft Kitty, Warm Kitty, Little Ball Of Fur.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,080 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 07:07 PM

Absolutely beautiful! Great job, Tripper! :)

#11 Tripper

Tripper

Piemaster General

• Administrators
  • 3,057 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 05:49 AM

Absolutely beautiful! Great job, Tripper! :)

Thank you, Miss Kitka. :)

#12 Tripper

Tripper

Piemaster General

• Administrators
  • 3,057 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 05:04 PM

Do users of the mobile site have any opinions on what the site's front page should contain? Right now, like the regular main site, it has the next episode block and then it's standard blog design with news posts. Does this work for mobile? Right now we're showing the full story on mobiles, but that can take up a lot of screen room so would showing a summary with a 'full story' link be better? Or should the homepage be different and not like a standard blog, more a summary of the site's content. I'm thinking a homepage that has blocks for episodes, then news, then maybe quotes, and other popular links.

#13 Tensor

Tensor

Ratings Guru

• Global Moderator
  • 5,087 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 10:51 PM

Do users of the mobile site have any opinions on what the site's front page should contain? Right now, like the regular main site, it has the next episode block and then it's standard blog design with news posts. Does this work for mobile? Right now we're showing the full story on mobiles, but that can take up a lot of screen room so would showing a summary with a 'full story' link be better? Or should the homepage be different and not like a standard blog, more a summary of the site's content. I'm thinking a homepage that has blocks for episodes, then news, then maybe quotes, and other popular links.

My guess would be go with a summary, then a link. That way, mobile users can choose which articles they will get. I'm thinking here of higher data usage, if the entire articles load. Or, the other way would be to go with a different design for the mobile, that way you could set what get loaded when coming to the site.

#14 rachelshamyfan

rachelshamyfan

• Members
  • 19,109 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 12:27 AM

What tensor said

#15 Tripper

Tripper

Piemaster General

• Administrators
  • 3,057 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 06:32 AM

My guess would be go with a summary, then a link. That way, mobile users can choose which articles they will get. I'm thinking here of higher data usage, if the entire articles load. Or, the other way would be to go with a different design for the mobile, that way you could set what get loaded when coming to the site.

I think I'll do that then. Loading the full article does seem unnecessary.

I've been looking at the website stats and the new mobile site has improved the numbers on some pages. The homepage, however, doesn't seem to have seen an improvement. I'm thinking this could be part of the reason.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: News

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users