Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Ratings Season 7 Ratings Thread.

406 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

This is the first Season 7 ratings post.   I will keep track of the various ratings and how TBBT is doing, ratings wise in each.  The format for this year is a bit different then last year.   Each day, Nielsen releases different data.  I will attempt to post late mornings most of the time.  However, we all know life gets in the way and they may be a delay to the evening of the same day to possibly the next day.  Once all the data for the week is posted, I’ll put them in an archive, so each week is together. 

I’ll be posting the following data on the following schedule. 

Monday: The Live + 7 data.   This is delayed by two weeks, due to the way the full data is collected.  So, the first two weeks will not include this. 

Tuesday: The Ratings for the top 25 programs for previous week for both Broadcast and Cable.   Also, if, like last year, there are TBBT repeat episodes run on Mondays, I will cover how they did in the ratings. 

Wednesday: They’ve changed the release schedule this year.  Syndicated ratings were released last year on Thursdays.  This year, they will be released on Tuesdays, but to spread things out and keep Tuesday from being too cluttered, I will post them on Wednesday.   

Thursday: There isn’t any relevant data released on Thursdays this year (New and Late night ratings).    However, I may post an occasional news item, ratings tidbits, or alternate looks at the ratings.  Just to give everyone a better idea of how the ratings work.

Friday: This will be the big day, for us.  How TBBT did in the ratings the previous night.  With comparisons, with other shows of the night and week.   The fast nationals (or overnights) are posted early (around 8:30 AM) and I’ll make the changes to the numbers when the final numbers are posted around 3:30 PM.  Note all times are US Eastern Time. 

If you have a question or comment, feel free to PM me or make a comment in the thread.    I’ll be reposting the explanation of how the ratings work, so everyone has a reference to look at. Hope you all enjoy the thread this year.

Tensor

Edited by Tensor

Posted (edited)

I use several terms, specific to ratings data.  To help everyone understand these terms and understand these posts better, this post will explain those terms.  

To begin, The Nielsen company gathers data from electronic boxes that are attached to the television, set top box, or DVR. These are the “People Meters” Individuals enter their specific ID (which is tied to their age and gender) and the box tracks what they are watching, even if they are just channel surfing. In the case of DVRs, it measures what has been recorded and watched up to seven days later.

People with their ID number sign in and out, each time they start or stop watching TV. In the case of multiple people watching the same TV, the ID allows the meter to track how many and when people are watching. The meter could track someone who turns the TV on, and if another person signs in, shows two people watching the same program. If the original person leaves by signing out, it will still be tracking what the other person is now watching.

Nielsen also uses the older diary method (where people write in what they are watching) to gather further demographic data to assist advertisers in targeting specific ages, genders, income, eduction, etc). Each August, Nielsen estimates the number of households in the US that have televisions to use during the season. The current number of households, from August of 2012-2013, is 114,200,000(When the new number is released in a week or two, for 2013-2014, I will update). Note, this is not how many households are tracked by Nielsen. Just the total number, so the specific breakdown of those that are part of the Nielsen ratings can be extrapolated to the total number of households.

What follows, are the various terms used in these articles

Live + Same Day (SD): The number of households (and viewers) that watched a program, including DVR viewing until 3 a.m. locally, the next day. At 3 a.m., the data is automatically sent to Nielsen from the box.

Live + 3: The number of households (and viewers) that watch a program up to three days after the program airs. Again, there is a 3 a.m. cutoff.

Live + 7: The number of households (and viewers) that watch a program up to seven days after the program airs. With the 3AM cutoff.

Overnights are announced the next day. Live + 7 is published two weeks after the end of week being measured.  While the Live + SD and Live + 7 are readily available, the Live + 3 isn’t.  So, Live + 3 are usually found through a press release from a network or show.

Overnights (or Fast Nationals) Are the preliminary ratings based on 56 metropolitan areas and is time-period based.  Think of this as the show is schedule to run from 8:00 to 8:30 PM.  This is what the overnights are based on.  If, say, there is a local news story that is being covered, then the show isn’t being watched in that market, and the final numbers would probably go down.   Or, as CBS does a lot, it runs TBBT to 8:31, then the final numbers will go up.  

Final Ratings: Adjusted (usually based on data included from other than the overnight areas, along with time zone specific data or local preemptions.

Ratings Point: The percentage of TV household, out of all TV households, that are watching a particular program.

Ratings Share: The percentage of households, who have their TV on, that are watching a particular program.

Note that a Ratings point is one percent total households with a TV. Ratings Share point is one percent of the total households with a TV ON. For a simplified example, lets say the total number of TVs is 100 and there are 50 of them on. If 10 TVs are tuned to a specific program, the ratings point would be 10 (10 is 10% of 100). The ratings share would be 20 (10 is 20% of 50).

Total Viewers: The total number of people watching a particular program. More than one person could be viewing a program in one house, say a family of four.  TBBT had the third highest number of viewers last year, behind Sunday Night Football and NCIS.  It was the highest viewed comedy last year,

Demo: This is an age breakout of the Ratings points and shares. To advertisers, the most important demo is made up of those people age 18-49. Whenever demo is used, it means 18-49, unless otherwise specified. There are other age breakouts, 18-34, 25-54, etc.  Breakouts by gender, education, location, etc.  This allows advertisers to target ads to specific populations. TBBT had the second highest demo last year, behind only Sunday Night Football.  This made TBBT the highest rated reality or scripted show last year.

Tensor
Edited by Tensor

Posted

Can't wait to see your first postings in this thread 10! :)

Posted (edited)

While the full overnights won't be released for another couple hours, there is some news. I normally concentrate on the demo and total viewers, however we won't have those until the overnights are released. In Terms of Households (remember that 114,000,000 from the first post) The one hour long preview of TBBT came in with an 11.9 rating and a 20 share. Both of which are up from last years 10.5 and a 17 share 9.3 with a 16 share. A ~20% year to year increase. More as it becomes available.

ETA: If the 15% increase holds for total viewers, then there is a possibility that the premiere could hit 18 Million viewers.

Another edit. the struck out numbers were for the Live + 7. The 9.3 and 16 share were the daily numbers for last years premiere

Edited by Tensor
JoeSal90, Kasey, Chiara and 2 others like this

Posted (edited)

Wow on the Ratings.  :dancer:

Thanks so much Tensor, you rock.

eta:  There was no football game to inflate the numbers, hopefully we will get a bounce for both episodes.

Edited by ArmyGirl

Posted

That's so amazing! We just keep going up.

Posted

They shoot, they score. 

Over 18 million viewers for the first episode and close to 20 for the second, those are breathtaking results. How a show in its seventh season can keep on gaining viewers is simply flabbergasting. 

MJistheBOMB, Tensor and Maddie like this

Posted

Makes me very happy.

Posted

Awesome!!!  :clapping:

Posted

Wow on the ratings from last night's TBBT episodes.  

Thanks so much as well Tensor, you rock.
Chiara likes this

Posted (edited)

I realise I forgot to thank Tensor... I am beneath everything and my parents would be ashamed of me. 

Thank you so much Tensor. 

Edited by Chiara

Posted

That is incredible! Thanks Tensor :)

Posted

Amazing viewing figures! Thanks Tensor for the info.

Posted

Thank you, Tensor for all your effort.

Posted

Thanks for the info ^^

That's really good ratings, let's hope the following episodes will keep with the good figures

Posted

OK, working on the update, but I want to get this out there.   Last night, 7.02  The Deception Verification has been adjusted up and set a new all time high for viewers with  20.44 Million viewers.  It's demo was also adjusted up to 6.1.  

The update will be up soon, as an edit to the preliminary numbers.  

Posted

Awesome ratings and you're pretty awesome too Tensor for providing this info!!!

Posted

Are you kiddin? 18 and 20 mill for the first eps, awesome! TBBT really is unprecedented when it comes to ratings, how does a show in it's seventh season still pull in these kinda ratings?

Posted

Are you kiddin? 18 and 20 mill for the first eps, awesome! TBBT really is unprecedented when it comes to ratings, how does a show in it's seventh season still pull in these kinda ratings?

Actually, it's 19 million for the first episode(18.99). Whoever can figure out the reason why this show pulls in the ratings it does, they would be rich. I would think it has something to do with having great writers, a great cast who gets along and a great crew who like what they are doing and who they're doing it with. But, that's just a guess. :)

Chiara likes this

Posted

I think that people are drawn to this show because they care about the characters and then also because it's just so dang funny, but ultimately in a sweet way.  Whenever there's a conflict, it's nothing dastardly and it gets resolved in a generally kind and sweet way.

People can have some fun, laugh a lot, and feel good in the end. :)

Chiara likes this

Posted

Actually, it's 19 million for the first episode(18.99). Whoever can figure out the reason why this show pulls in the ratings it does, they would be rich. I would think it has something to do with having great writers, a great cast who gets along and a great crew who like what they are doing and who they're doing it with. But, that's just a guess. :)

I also like that Johhny said it doesen't feel like 7 seasons, feel's almost like four. Said too he feels their are still a lot of stories to tell in the characters, I tend to agree still a lot of backstories to reveal within the characters. The beginning of S7 felt a lot like S3 IMO, difference being obviousley it was just Leonard coming home, this time though Penny diddn't form a relationship with out of missing him, but this time she missed their relationship. Okay back to the ratings haha, point is I feel the writing is a lot more balanced, and feel's a lot more refined in the episodes, I saw much better start then last season, I also think the syndicated shows are helping the ratings too.

Kasey likes this