Popular Pages on the Main Site:   Next Episode | Official Merchandise | Sheldon Quotes | Latest News | Episode Guide

Welcome to The Big Bang Theory Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Season 7 Ratings Thread.

Ratings

• Please log in to reply
405 replies to this topic

Tensor

Tensor

Ratings Guru

• Global Moderator
  • 4,821 posts
News and Notes for Week 27. March 24, 2014

The final part of the 18-34 demo post's is up at Spotted Ratings . Ed looks at combining his 18-49 True rating with the 18-34 True rating and how this may explain why some marginally rated shows get renewed. Since the main purpose of this type of look is to understand why marginal shows may get renewed and, since TBBT is no where near a marginal show, this type of look wouldn't normally include TBBT. However a question by a reader of the post asked for a comparison between How I Met Your Mother and TBBT. As a result, we have a a look at the ratings of TBBT in this calculated numbers.

For instance, TBBT has a "raw" number score of 5.26 in the 18-49 demo. This is the number reported by Nielsen. At Spotted Ratings, Ed uses some calculation and includes the strength of a show's lead-in, strength of the other shows airing at the same time, number of people watching for a given time, etc. In this, TBBT has what Ed calls a "True" score of 5.46, in TBBT's case, this is higher than it's raw score. It's total score of the combination 18-49 demo and 18-34 demos is 9.11. That means that TBBT 18-34 True number is 3.65. In the article Ed give the 18-34/18-49 combined True scores for 51 different shows. TBBT 18-34 True score is higher than the combined 18-49/18-34 of all 51 of those shows, in the post. Again, giving an idea of just how big TBBT is.

Again, I recommend you visit Spotted Ratings. Ed does an outstanding job with the alternate ways of looking at the ratings and explaining it. I again want to thank him for graciously allowing me to summarize and link to his explanations.

Rick

Tensor

Tensor

Ratings Guru

• Global Moderator
  • 4,821 posts

Tuesday, March 25, 2014; Weekly Rankings Week 27 

Ratings based on Week Twenty-six numbers.

This week (and the upcoming week) is a bit of a dry spell for us TBBT fans. Basketball last week, basketball this week (On the bright side, my team is still going), so we don't even get to see how well a repeat of the show does against new shows.

The top ten in demo follows. (Repeats are designated by a R, Specials or Special Times are designated by a S, P indicates series Premiere )

Show                                       18-49 demo              18-49 viewers

The Voice (Mon)                            4.1                         5,170,000
The Voice (Tue)                             3.6                         4,568,000
Scandal                                          2.9                         3,715,000
How I Met Your Mother                  2.9                         3,744,000
The Blacklist                                   2.7                         3,416,000
Dancing with the Stars          P       2.6                         3,250,000
Resurrection                                   2.5                         3,231,000
Survivor                                          2.5                         3,166,000
NCIS                                               2.4                         3,102,000
Grey's Anatomy                              2.4                         3,087,000

(Repeats are designated by a R, Special times with an S, and Premieres with a P)

Show                                                      Total viewers

NCIS                                                        17,106,000

Dancing with the Stars                 P         15,440,000

NCIS:LA                                                   14,210,000

The Voice (Mon)                                      13,523,000

The Voice (Tue)                                       13,289,000
60 Minutes                                                11,306,000

The Blacklist                                             10,969000

Person of Interest                                     10,937,000
CSI                                                            10,202,000
Criminal Mind                                            10,138,000

I will get to the Syndicated ratings up tomorrow at the latest.

Tensor

notchinc

notchinc

Senior Executive Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts

So how does basketball fare in the BBT timeslot?  Please and thank you.

Tensor

Tensor

Ratings Guru

• Global Moderator
  • 4,821 posts
Terrible. Thursday, it was a 1.0, with 3.79 million viewers. But that's not really important. CBS has to televise those games to get the much higher rated games this coming Thur-Sun. This past Sunday, the games were hitting a 4.0 demo and will probably be in the 8.0 range by Sunday. The important ones are next week with the two semi-final games on Saturday and the Championship game Monday night.

Add to the fact that there are only 24 episodes to put into 36 weeks, those two weeks could have been repeats anyway. So it be it does CBS (and the show's ratings) good to not televise during those two weeks while CBS builds toward the championship.

Tensor

Tensor

Ratings Guru

• Global Moderator
  • 4,821 posts

Major update to the  broadcast schedule .  Between last night and this morning, I've gotten some verifications of previously speculative things along with some things that were finally announced.  

Tensor

Tensor

Ratings Guru

• Global Moderator
  • 4,821 posts
News and Notes #2, 26 March, 2014

For basic cable TBS is the number one network in the 18-49 demo and in total viewers for the first quarter to date.   It won the demo and total viewers last year and continues strong with TBBT as the number one off net basic cable series in both demo and total viewers.

Edited by Tensor, 26 March 2014 - 04:17 PM.

Tensor

Tensor

Ratings Guru

• Global Moderator
  • 4,821 posts
Posted on 26 March, 2014, Syndication for Week 27.

Based on week Twenty-six ratings.

The syndicated rankings didn't change from last week in both demo and viewers. Judge Judy(JJ) leading in housholds this week, while Wheel of Fortune(WF) leading in viewers. TBBT finished fourth in both measures. In the household rating (we normally look at the 18-49 demo, but in syndication, it's more how many households and total viewers). JJ was first with a 7.1 household rating, and (WF)was second at 6.9. Jeopardy(JY) was third with a 6.9 and TBBT pulled in a 6.0 for fourth. In the ranking for total viewers, WF was first with 10.72 million viewers, JY was second with 10.14 million, JJ dropped to third with 9.74 million and TBBT was in fourth with 9.11 million.

The weekend edition (two nights) of TBBT was in sixth place, in both demo at 4.8 and total viewers with 7.36 million viewers and Modern Family was in seventh for both with 6.52 million viewers and a 4.3 demo.

If you look at the actual ratings listing, a Saturday morning program called Weekend Adventure is listed in the top five. Due to a quirk of how the syndicated ratings are collected, Saturday kid's shows show up in the evening syndication ratings, although they shouldn't. I generally pull that show out when figuring relative standings.

Tensor

Tensor

Tensor

Ratings Guru

• Global Moderator
  • 4,821 posts

Week 28 Schedule; 30 March, 2014 

Again, it's out Sunday night.  If you don't like it, wait until tomorrow to read it.  :p

Black indicates no show, Green indicates new episodes, Light Purple are reruns.  Special date and times will be indicated with an asterisk, in Orange.  I will start with week with these colors. Throughout the week, changes will be made in Red.This way, everyone can see what changes have been found throughout the week. I will be looking for the changes, but if anyone sees updated information, feel free to PM me so I can make the changes here. The first one I get a PM from will be credited for the information.

I want to thank BigBangSheldon and StardustMelody for contributions to the initial post.

Show Schedule 

2/06 New 7.14    The Locomotive Manipulation 
2/13 Rerun 7.05 The Workplace Proximity
2/20 Rerun 7.07 The Proton Displacement
2/27 New 7.16    The Table Polarization
3/06
 New 7.18    The Friendship Turbulence       Contributed by Moyra and bigbangsheldon. Note, from this episode, until 5/1 when 7.17 is broadcast, all the following broadcasts are out of taping order.
3/13 New 7.19    The Mommy Observation          Date contributed by bigbangsheldon                    
3/20 No Show     
3/27 No Show                                                                                                         
4/03 New 7.20     The Indecision Amalgamation   Contributed by Moyra
4/07 Rerun 7.02  The Deception Verification.        *Special Day, Monday
4/10 New 7.21     The Relationship Diremption      Contributed by happy kitty
4/17 Rerun 7.08  The Itchy Brain Simulation
4/17 Rerun 7.03  The Scavenger Vortex                 *Special Time: 8:31 PM  
4/24 New 7.22     The Anything Can Happen Recurrence    
5/01 New 7.17     The Proton Transmogrification   Contributed by Delsino  
5/08 New 7.23
5/15 New 7.24

Taping Schedule 

1/28 Taping 7.16 The Table Polarization
2/11 Taping 7.17 The Proton Transmogrification 
2/19 Taping 7.18 The Friendship Turbulence

3/04 Taping 7.19 The Mommy Observation
3/11 Taping 7.20 The Indecision Amalgamation
3/25 Taping 7.21 The Relationship Diremption
4/01 Taping 7.22 The Anything Can Happen Recurrence

4/15 Taping 7.23
4/22 Taping 7.24

Tensor.

Edited by Tensor, 04 April 2014 - 04:13 PM.

Tensor

Tensor

Ratings Guru

• Global Moderator
  • 4,821 posts

Week 28 Live + 7, 31 March, 2014

Based on Week 25 ratings.

An alert here.  There are some possible questions about the Live + 7 numbers this week.  If there are changes, I'll make them when I see them.

When looking at the numbers remember that viewing was generally down this week overall. TBBT had a new episode, (7.19, The Mommy Observation).   In first place in total demo, was TBBT with a 7.5, in second was the Modern Family with a 5.4 and in third was Monday's  Resurrection with a 4.6.   In demo lift it was TBBT in first with 2.6, There was a tie for second with Modern Family and The Blacklist at 1.9.   In total demo,  Modern Family was the only show whose Live + 7 demo rating beat the Same Day rating of TBBT's 4.9.  

In total viewers, TBBT with  with 22.90 million, in second was Resurrection with 15.53 and in third was Wednesday's Blue Bloods with 15.09 million.  In terms of lift, there was TBBT with 5.56 million in first, Elementary in second , with 4.36 million and in third was Modern Family with 4.31 million. 

For this week, TBBT  demo lift was up one tenths above it's yearly average and it total demo was right at it's yearly average.  In viewers, TBBT was within 10,000 viewers of its yearly average in lift, while total viewers was down by almost 800,000 viewers.   Before you all panic, it's interesting to note that last year, on essentially the same date (13 March:14 March), TBBT had one of it's two episodes below 20 million viewers in Live + 7, after the first of the year.  Also, remember that last year, TBBT was averaging ~21 million viewers at this point last year, this year it's averaging 23.73 million.  This is up almost three million from last year.  In demo the average up over a half a point (7.75 to 7.23).   This is almost unheard of for a show in it's seventh year.  

Tensor

Tensor

Tensor

Ratings Guru

• Global Moderator
  • 4,821 posts

Tuesday, April 01, 2014; Weekly Rankings Week 28 

Ratings based on Week Twenty-seven numbers.

The numbers for this week are from the second week of the Basketball Championships (On the bright side, my team is in the Final Four), so we don't even get to see how well a repeat of the show does against new shows. Next week we'll have TBBT back in the rankings. Basketball was in the top ten this week, so, as usual, they will appear by themselves at the end of the post.

The top ten in demo follows. (Repeats are designated by a R, Specials or Special Times are designated by a S, P indicates series Premiere )

Show                                       18-49 demo              18-49 viewers

The Voice (Mon)                             3.7                         4,699,000

Modern Family                               3.6                         4,630,000

How I Met Your Mother                  3.5                         4,432,000

The Voice (Tue)                             3.4                         4,271,000

Scandal                                          3.1                         3,970,000
60 Minutes                                      2.8                         3,537,000

The Blacklist                                   2.8                         3,581,000

Grey's Anatomy                              2.6                         3,317,000

NCIS                                               2.5                         3,216,000

NCIS:LA                                          2.4                         3,102,000

Note that there were no shows with a  demo above 4.0

(Repeats are designated by a R, Special times with an S, and Premieres with a P)

Show                                                      Total viewers

NCIS                                                        17,520,000

NCIS:LA                                                   15,543,000

Dancing with the Stars                             14,648,000

60 Minutes                                                14,303,000

The Voice (Mon)                                       12,847,000
The Voice (Tue)                                        12,445,000
Person of Interest                                     12,226,000

Criminal Mind                                            10,959,000

The Blacklist                                             10,799,000
Criminal Mind                                            10,090,000

This marks the fourth new show in a row that NCIS has been below 18 million people for it's Live + Same Day.  Prior to these last four weeks, the low four weeks, for this season, were 18.33, 18.83, 18.99, and 19.18.  I'm not quite sure whats happening there.  Two of those shows were before Daylight Savings Time, including it's low of 17.03 million, so that isn't a factor.   It was still the high for the week, but it is Puzzling.

As for the Basketball the top two in demo were the following:

Thursday Evening:   3.6 Demo, 10.09 million viewers

Friday Evening:        2.6 Demo,   7.87 million viewers.

I will get to the Syndicated ratings up tomorrow at the latest.

Tensor

Tensor

Tensor

Ratings Guru

• Global Moderator
  • 4,821 posts
Posted on 02 April, 2014, Syndication for Week 28.

Based on week Twenty-seven ratings.

The syndicated rankings were quite shaken up this week, with TBBT rising in both households and viewers. Wheel of Fortune(WF)lead in both households and viewers this week. . In the household rating (we normally look at the 18-49 demo, but in syndication, it's more how many households and total viewers). WF was first with a 7.0 household rating, and Judge Judy(JJ) was second at 6.7. TBBT and Jeopardy(JY) tied for third with a 6.1. In the ranking for total viewers, WF was first with 11.21 million viewers, TBBT climbed from fourth to second with 9.61 million, JY stayed in third with 9.58 million and JJ dropped to fourth with 9.33 million.

The weekend edition (two nights) of TBBT fell to eighth place, in households at 3.6 and seventh in total viewers with 5.84 million viewers and Modern Family was in sixth for both households and viewers with a 4.3 and 6.52 million viewers, respectively.

If you look at the actual ratings listing, a Saturday morning program called Weekend Adventure is listed in the top five. Due to a quirk of how the syndicated ratings are collected, Saturday kid's shows show up in the evening syndication ratings, although they shouldn't. I generally pull that show out when figuring relative standings.

Tensor

Tensor

Tensor

Ratings Guru

• Global Moderator
  • 4,821 posts

Overnights 04 April, 2014 Week 28 

For Thursday 03 April broadcasts

Basketball is over on Thursday, and TBBT ran a new episode last night (7.20, The Indecision Amalgamation).  (As a note, the show is currently showing shows out of taping order).bringing in a 4.8, with 17.39 million people.  The share was up at 19.   I expect the normal adjustment up, one tenth in demo and about 200,000 people.  

TBBT was high with that 4.8, down a tenth from last last new show on March 13).  Second was The Millers with 2.9 and in third was a tie between Scandal with 2. 8).   In total viewers, TBBT was number one with 17.39 million viewers, up about 100,000 viewers from the last new one.  The Millers was second with 11.43 million and Two and A Half Men was third at 9.37 million viewers.  

With American Idol going to a half hour and moving to 9 PM, the only thing to really compare with the half hour splits is Hell's Kitchen.   During the common half hour, Hell's Kitchen had a 1.6 demo, with 4.63 million viewers.  After TBBT ended, the ratings went to 1.8 and 5.18 million people.

TBBT will be the entertainment program with the most viewers this week, as NCIS had only 17.16 million.  However, for the first time in a long time, TBBT will not be the entertainment program with the highest demo this week.  The series finale of How I Met Your Mother scored a 5.4 demo, although it only had 13.13 million viewers.  That 5.4 was a SERIES high.  

Tensor

Edited by Tensor, 21 April 2014 - 01:45 PM.

Kasey

Kasey

Senior Executive Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,858 posts

Thanks Tensor.  As far as HIMYM is concerned, it also may have the distinction of being the worst finale in history (depending on who you talk to)..

Tensor

Tensor

Ratings Guru

• Global Moderator
  • 4,821 posts

Thanks Tensor.  As far as HIMYM is concerned, it also may have the distinction of being the worst finale in history (depending on who you talk to)..

Certainly one of the most contentious.  But, it seems everyone, whether they liked it or not, stuck around for the whole thing.  Thus, it's high rating.

luke

luke

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Certainly one of the most contentious.  But, it seems everyone, whether they liked it or not, stuck around for the whole thing.  Thus, it's high rating.

But then after that ending all the long time viewers of HIMYM threw their TV's out the window - I was only a casual watcher and was taken a back by the awfulness of that ending - it kind of makes me nervous about the eventual ending of TBBT - writers seem to think they have to be clever instead of going with the obvios ending everyone expects - but I don't have to think about that for at least another three seasons, so I won't worry about it, not yet anyway :)

Edited by luke, 04 April 2014 - 12:58 PM.

Tensor

Tensor

Ratings Guru

• Global Moderator
  • 4,821 posts
The thing is, Nielsen doesn't measure how many people threw their TVs out the window. And as a point of reference, most of the long time viewers I know, still have their TVs. The ones that don't have them, tend to be more vocal about their dislike than the ones who liked it.

Tensor

Tensor

Ratings Guru

• Global Moderator
  • 4,821 posts
Finals are in, TBBT, as expected, was up a tenth to 4.9, tying last weeks demo. In viewers, it was up more than I predicted. I said 200,000, but it was up 340,000, to 17.73 million total viewers. Over six and a half million more than the rest of the broadcast show in its time slot. A full final post will come after I get home from my show tonight.

wonder63

wonder63

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Whats Big Bang's average this year will be, last year it placed 3rd for the year overall. Will it move up to 2nd or remain third. It made another record with over 20 million.

Tensor

Tensor

Ratings Guru

• Global Moderator
  • 4,821 posts
Ratings Final 04 April, 2014 Week 28

For Thursday 03 March broadcasts

TBBT ran a new episode last night (7.20, The Indecision Amalgamation).  (As a note, the show is currently showing shows out of taping order).bringing in a 4.8 4.9, with 17.39 17.73 million people.  The share was up at 19.   I expect the normal adjustment up, one tenth in demo and about 200,000 people.  The demo went up as I expected (one tenth), but viewers went up 340,000 viewers to 17.73 million. 

TBBT was high with that 4.8 4.9.  Second was The Millers with 2.9 2.8 and in third was  between Scandal with 2.8 2.9.   In finals, with the one tenth drop by The Millers, and the one tenth rise by Scandal, Scandal moved to second place.   In total viewers, TBBT was number one with 17.39 17.73 million viewers, up about 100,000 viewers, up almost a half a million from the last new one.  The Millers was second with 11.43 11.35 million and Two and A Half Men was third at 9.37 9.23 million viewers.  

With American Idol going to a half hour and moving to 9 PM, the only thing to really compare with the half hour splits is Hell's Kitchen.   During the common half hour, Hell's Kitchen had a 1.6 demo, with 4.63 million viewers.  After TBBT ended, the ratings went to 1.8 and 5.18 million people.

TBBT will be the entertainment program with the most viewers this week, as NCIS had only 17.16 million.  However, for the first time in a long time, TBBT will not be the entertainment program with the highest demo this week.  The series finale of How I Met Your Mother scored a 5.4 demo, although it only had 13.13 million viewers.  That 5.4 was a SERIES high.  

Tensor

Tensor

Tensor

Ratings Guru

• Global Moderator
  • 4,821 posts

Week 29 Schedule; 06 April, 2014 

Again, it's out Sunday night.  Had to, driving to Miami tomorrow to see Mayim give a talk.  

Black indicates no show, Green indicates new episodes, Light Purple are reruns.  Special date and times will be indicated with an asterisk, in Orange.  I will start with week with these colors. Throughout the week, changes will be made in Red.This way, everyone can see what changes have been found throughout the week. I will be looking for the changes, but if anyone sees updated information, feel free to PM me so I can make the changes here. The first one I get a PM from will be credited for the information.

I want to thank BigBangSheldon and StardustMelody for contributions to the initial post.

Show Schedule 

2/06 New 7.14    The Locomotive Manipulation 
2/13 Rerun 7.05 The Workplace Proximity
2/20 Rerun 7.07 The Proton Displacement
2/27 New 7.16    The Table Polarization
3/06
 New 7.18    The Friendship Turbulence                         Contributed by Moyra and bigbangsheldon. Note, from this episode, until 5/1 when 7.17 is broadcast, all the following broadcasts are out of taping order.
3/13 New 7.19    The Mommy Observation                            Date contributed by bigbangsheldon                    
3/20 No Show     
3/27 No Show                                                                                                         
4/03 New 7.20     The Indecision Amalgamation                    Contributed by Moyra
4/07 Rerun 7.02  The Deception Verification.                         *Special Day, Monday
4/10 New 7.21     The Relationship Diremption                      Contributed by happy kitty
4/17 Rerun 7.08  The Itchy Brain Simulation
4/17 Rerun 7.03  The Scavenger Vortex                                *Special Time: 8:31 PM  
4/21 Rerun 7.04  The Raiders Minimization                           *Special Night

4/24 New 7.22     The Anything Can Happen Recurrence     
5/01 New 7.17     The Proton Transmogrification                    Contributed by Delsino  
5/08 New 7.23     The Gorilla Dissolution*                               *Unverified

5/15 New 7.24

Taping Schedule 

1/28 Taping 7.16 The Table Polarization
2/11 Taping 7.17 The Proton Transmogrification 
2/19 Taping 7.18 The Friendship Turbulence

3/04 Taping 7.19 The Mommy Observation
3/11 Taping 7.20 The Indecision Amalgamation
3/25 Taping 7.21 The Relationship Diremption
4/01 Taping 7.22 The Anything Can Happen Recurrence  
4/15 Taping 7.23 The Gorilla Dissolution*                               *Unverified
4/22 Taping 7.24

Tensor.

Edited by Tensor, 12 April 2014 - 08:44 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Ratings

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users