Ki22

Why Can't Sheldon And Amy Have An Asexual Relationship?

256 posts in this topic

Posted

AVEN.net   com

It is OK..to be together and not have sex.

I am not against sex...I am ACE..

WE are OK!

AVEN

KayMarie and ATOB like this

Posted

Well Sex is a natural component of human and relationship construct. You can have one without it, but its part of western civilization culture. Its a matter of preference. Personally to validate their relationship they need to have coitus but that is just my opinion. 

Molecules likes this

Posted

Not to mention Amy clearly doesn't want an asexual relationship. But this is the wrong section for this discussion so hopefully one of the mods moves it to somewhere more appropriate.

Deb Ranquist likes this

Posted (edited)

All cultures I might add, not just western. ☺

Edit: To remove civilization.

Edited by Tonstar17

Posted (edited)

I think its just cultural for most ppl watching, and that is why a lot, not all, but a lot of ppl want to see that. I think most people view touching and intimacy as something needed. It has been shown a hug can be healing even. Thats just my thought on it.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/how-the-power-of-touch-reduces-pain-and-even-fights-disease-419462.html

Edited by EvilStewie
hazelra7 and Deb Ranquist like this

Posted

If the writers kept Amy as she was on the first date, then an a-sexual realtionship would have been possible.

But Amy has grown in to a woman who does want to consumate her relationship with Sheldon.

Deb Ranquist likes this

Posted (edited)

But when Sheldon says "A cross we must all bear", does he mean we all have to cope with having the potential for sexual arousal, or that we must all cope with Amy having the potential for sexual arousal?

I suspect, if you got Amy's motor running, there'd be no stopping her.

Edited by Stephen Hawking
JohnPhD likes this

Posted

But when Sheldon says "A cross we must all bear", does he mean we all have to cope with having the potential for sexual arousal, or that we must all cope with Amy having the potential for sexual arousal?

You think Amy is a sex offender?

Because Sheldon get's her motor running, remember the Gerard scene?

Posted

I still think Sheldon gets that touching can be beneficial! Kangaroo care is a good example of what I mean. Its used because it works!  His use of holding hands for moral support in RA. He accepted a consoling hug.  There is science behind touch! Which I do believe he is aware of.. I think most people watching find it enjoyable to see that grow in him. 

Posted (edited)

On 10/15/2014 at 5:56 PM, Chiany said:

You think Amy is a sex offender?

Where did I suggest she was a sex offender?

Posted

Where did I suggest she was a sex offender?

With the no stopping her comment.

Posted

I meant, I reckon she would be up for pretty much anything, and for as long as you had the stamina.

Bella Duveen likes this

Posted

AVEN.net   com

It is OK..to be together and not have sex.

I am not against sex...I am ACE..

WE are OK!

AVEN

I started a thread a while ago called Sheldon Cooper, Demisexual? Here...

My 2 cents is that Sheldon and Amy's comedy gold potential for weird and wonderful sexual adventures is just too rich not to mine and, as the kiss on the train showed, his body is way ahead of his brain.

Posted

I think he was referring to all humans having the potential for sexual arousal.

Posted

You will find that there are Asex people who do enjoy touch...human contact.  It usually does not go further than that, unless the the other person in the relationship is not Asex...then the do that for them...to be with them.  This is not because the have need, want, desire, or interest, it is to be there for the other person.

We are all social creatures and touch is a big part of that, but, sex is a very small part of the overall relationship.

I think that will probably happen on the show...peer pressure.

I am just sad that we have so few positive role models.  This is a true state of being. This is not unnatural. (I blame Fraud)froid ; )

Again...check out AVEN. We exist.

Posted

Sheldon and Amy were not written as poster-boy/girl of asexuality. They never have been and the writers have steered cleared of labelling them as such all along. The writers are not writing role models, they are writing characters in a story. The fact that they might increase awareness and/or acceptance of differences in the general audience is just an added bonus. But claiming that if Shamy have sex they stop being good role models is frankly pretty judgemental and, IMO, kind of defeats the whole purpose of these characters, if you believe that they do indeed increase acceptance and understanding of differences. It means that all you're doing is putting them in a box that's convenient for you and that if they don't behave in a way that you think is appropriate for that box, then they're letting you down. There is not just one way to be "asexual" (not to be pedantic, Redrose, :p but technically one can still experience sexual arousal and be mostly "asexual" - by the main definition, it's more to do with sexual drive and interested compared to the general population, rather than total presence or absence of arousal), just as there is not just one way to be straight or gay or bi. If and when they consummate their relationship, it's most definitely not going to be because of peer pressure. Not all asexuals who end up engaging in sex do so because of peer pressure. 

Posted

I believe Sheldon is demisexual.

We live in sex-driven society, so sex is explored a lot in the media. It's leading to Amy and Sheldon having sex.

FYI to everyone: Asexuals can have sex, and can have arousal. Asexuality = Lack of sexual attraction, not arousal or lack of libido.

But like I said, I believe Sheldon is demisexual. As for Amy, I'm really not sure. Bicurious grey-ace, possibly.

Ki22 likes this

Posted

I think that unless or until the writers make a case specifically for Sheldon being demi-sexual, or for either of them having any specific "diagnosis", no one can say for sure that they should or should not have a non-sexual relationship.

I think the writers have implied that Sheldon is not as testosterone driven as the other guys, but I think that until Sheldon met Amy, he had not yet met the kind of girl that would "turn him on".  Most guys are turned on my the physical aspects of a woman--big breasts, curvy hips, long legs, whatever.  But Sheldon was never affected by those things.

Still, that doesn't mean that Amy doesn't turn him on.  If the way to his heart (and body) is through his brain, then she's on the right track and he's succumbing to her specific type of allure.

Posted

Sorry, but your clearly picked wrong role model for you. They're not an asexuals, writers made them, and never said they are, although people asked this. And Sheldon didn't want just sex, he didn't want be in relationship, he didn't like any touching, not just sexual nature, he didn't enjoy human contact at all, why would he open relationship for that? Why, is different question, which can have many deep reasons, but I don't think, asexuality is one of them. As a scientist, he know there is such a thing, and could use that as his explanation years ago , to shut everyone.  And sorry, but for asexual, to be in relationship with sexual human seems like extremely selfish.  if you're willing to have sex, even if you don't want to, don't have any desire, and the other person even agree to that, for me it's like using someone . I think to go against your belief for anyone isn't base of healthy relationship. And if person with sexual desire, is pushing asexual to sex, that's same. In my world it can't work. asexuals have many options, to have healthy relationship. They're their groups, they can find other asexual, or even someone, who for some reason can't have sex, and have healthy relationship, without this constant pressure. And sex is small part of relationship for you, but not for everyone, we all have different opinions, Lenny or Bernadette and Howard consider sex as important and it's not making their relationship worse. Like in real life, many people, many differences. And I disagree with you. I think asexuality is unnatural. But there are lots of thing unnatural in this world - it didn't make them bad, or even unexisting. But to answer your questions, from my point of view - they can't because, they are not asexuals, and even if Sheldon were, to be with her, he would only hurt her,.. he care for her, as he's selfish, this would be much even for him. And to wrap this up, she asked him are you have any interest now? He said he's not rolled that out. For me that's yes. 

Deb Ranquist likes this

Posted (edited)

On 10/16/2014 at 5:24 PM, phantagrae said:

Still, that doesn't mean that Amy doesn't turn him on.

She turns me on.

EvilStewie, Rae, Jiab and 3 others like this

Posted

Well, demisexual does come under the asexual umbrella doesn't it? All is not lost.

There's a massive clue in the line "Amy, before I met you I never had any interest in being intimate with anyone".

koops and Deb Ranquist like this

Posted

They can, but then there is little point to them being boyfriend and girlfriend; not to mention the relationship becomes boring to watch as it becomes stagnant, never grows or changes.  We’ve had years of their asexual relationship.  It’s time to bump things up to the next level.

Well, demisexual does come under the asexual umbrella doesn't it? All is not lost.

There's a massive clue in the line "Amy, before I met you I never had any interest in being intimate with anyone".

So true, TOB.  Great line to quote!  You are so right about the clue; that is one massive clue, in my opinion!

ATOB likes this