Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tripper

Episodes
822 The Graduation Transmission (April 23)

Your Episode Rating   77 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this episode?

• Excellent
    • Very Good
    • Good
    • Okay
    • Bad
    • Very Bad

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

118 posts in this topic

Posted

Very good episode!!! I loled a lot and I loved Howard - Sheldon and Penny - Leonard!! Both pairings literally shined!! Amy's absence was noticeable but it's absolutely understandable the reason why.

5Mississippis likes this

Posted

I just don't get why Amy's absence was noticeable. she just didn't fit into the story lines. would the episode been better with her?

Sara Smile likes this

Posted

I just don't get why Amy's absence was noticeable. she just didn't fit into the story lines. would the episode been better with her?

I guess it depends on each person's tastes. Amy is the main reason I started watching the show so one can easily understand why her absence was a turn off for me. Don't get me wrong I adored the episode I just missed her. So to answer your question the episode might or might not be better with her. What I know for sure is that for me it would. I could be very wrong here but I was under the impression that Mayim couldn't be a bigger part of the episode not that Amy just didn't fit in the storyline?? Anyway I definitely don't try to take something away from the episode or the characters and the storylines that made it so wonderful.

Posted (edited)

I guess it depends on each person's tastes. Amy is the main reason I started watching the show so one can easily understand why her absence was a turn off for me. Don't get me wrong I adored the episode I just missed her. So to answer your question the episode might or might not be better with her. What I know for sure is that for me it would. I could be very wrong here but I was under the impression that Mayim couldn't be a bigger part of the episode not that Amy just didn't fit in the storyline?? Anyway I definitely don't try to take something away from the episode or the characters and the storylines that made it so wonderful.

i started watching when there was 5 of them. I'm not picking on you but some on this forum don't seem to realize there was an actual show before Mayim/Amy came on. I actually like Amy but it was a great episode without her. I could see saying Amy was missed after 8.21 episode since there seems to be a general consensus this episode was better than that one. Edited by Chrismo
Sara Smile likes this

Posted (edited)

i started watching when there was 5 of them. I'm not picking on you but some on this forum don't seem to realize there was an actual show before Mayim/Amy came on. I actually like Amy but it was a great episode without her. I could see saying Amy was missed after 8.21 episode since there seems to be a general consensus this episode was better than that one.

I know your comment was in general I just thought I should clarify what I said in my original post. Also I can't speak for anyone else but I felt the lack of the Amy character merely cause I am fan. What I am trying to say is I am not sure if more Amy would have made the previous episode better cause frankly she could have some not funny lines or not interesting storylines etc. Same with this one she could have made it worse in general. I think that mainly fans would really notice it and be bumped she wasn't there more. For example if Raj wasn't there at all in an episode personally (and that is me and just me) I wouldn't be too bothered. Would I have noticed yes but I wouldn't think twice about it. Were there not moments that I found Raj hilarious and his storylines laugh out loud funny?? Of course there were!! I am just not a fan. Hoped I managed to give you at least some insight about why people missed Amy and I think it doesn't really have to do with whether it was a good or a bad episode but that they like character and enjoy seeing her. Of course there are probably other reasons but that's what I could think of. Hope that was helpful.

Edited by Cecilia
wowbagger likes this

Posted

The thing with an Amy-lite episode like this is, exactly where could adding Amy have added anything to the episode? Even Bernadette was superfluous to the goings-on, as her only real function here was to bring Howard some tools (which he could have gotten from [insert here]). What exactly could Amy have added to the proceedings? She just wasn't necessary to this particular episode.

mjc45, Tomasina, Sara Smile and 1 other like this

Posted

I really liked this episode. I thought Raj and his parents was very funny as well as Howard and Sheldon. Lenny was really good this week as well. I really liked Leonard's speech he came across like a professor. I did like Raj and his parents the best though this week. 

Posted

Howard said he wiped his bottom with warranties--meaning in general.  When Sheldon said his line later, he was speaking specifically about the warranty for the helicopter.  And said that he thought Howard meant it metaphorically, but that he had been in the bathroom a long time.

Splitting hairs

meka3000 likes this

Posted

The thing with an Amy-lite episode like this is, exactly where could adding Amy have added anything to the episode? Even Bernadette was superfluous to the goings-on, as her only real function here was to bring Howard some tools (which he could have gotten from [insert here]). What exactly could Amy have added to the proceedings? She just wasn't necessary to this particular episode.

The writers know they have many characters to write for, it's their JOB to find room for all characters.

Of course in this case Mayim wasn't really available a lot, so that changed things.

But imho they need to find a more equal balance between the on screen time and/or lines between all characters.

Posted

And it's also the writer's job to craft the best story possible, even if that means one or more characters are used sparingly (if at all). But in your view, they should have shoved Amy in there, anywhere, even if she didn't add anything to the episode? That's stupid, and proves that the writers know a helluva lot more about what they're doing than we fans do.

Sent from my HTC One M8 using Tapatalk

phantagrae and Sara Smile like this

Posted (edited)

And it's also the writer's job to craft the best story possible, even if that means one or more characters are used sparingly (if at all). But in your view, they should have shoved Amy in there, anywhere, even if she didn't add anything to the episode? That's stupid, and proves that the writers know a helluva lot more about what they're doing than we fans do.

Sent from my HTC One M8 using Tapatalk

I haven't seen the ep yet (the enthusiasm here suggests that I should be optimistic), but for what it's worth, here is what I think someone like Amy could bring to this sort of episode:

The show tends to be quite gendered in its split of interests. The guys are problem-solvers. They like comic books and taking stuff apart and putting it back together (not always successfully!) The girls (usually, NOT always thank God) are there to roll their eyes at their menfolk. One of my cherished moments in the show was the girls getting into an argument about Thor, because it allowed the girls on the show to have goofy, specific, nerdy interests.

Another great moment on the show was where Amy and Bernie got into an argument with Sheldon about whether werewolves can swim. It was just a blast to watch the girls apply their logical apparatus to such a goofy, out-there problem. Isn't that the essence of nerdery in so many ways?

So I like it when the show remembers that girls can be nerdy, too, or sympathetic of nerdy interests. Amy is a great candidate for that sort of thing, because she's so like the guys in so many ways. Bernie too was a great candidate before the show decided to turn her into a screeching harpy. But alas and alack, Bernie dropped in in this episode to tick the guys off when they were trying to put the 'copter back together.

Does that mean that the addition of Amy automatically makes everything better? Of course not. As Cecilia points out, the writers could tank her character for the episode, or write it badly. But Amy's there, for me, to counteract the 'Men like these things, and women kill their buzz' trap the show can fall into. 

Edited by wowbagger
Cecilia likes this

Posted

Interesting, wowbagger, and I agree with much of what you say, but none of that specifically addresses what she could have added to this episode. I'd be interested in hearing your views on how this episode could have been improved by her presence (beyond the cold open) after you've seen it.

Posted

Interesting, wowbagger, and I agree with much of what you say, but none of that specifically addresses what she could have added to this episode. I'd be interested in hearing your views on how this episode could have been improved by her presence (beyond the cold open) after you've seen it.

Off the top of my head? Maybe get super into fixing the helicopter (to counteract Bernie's criticism) or having a science-y, nerdy plot with Bernie, so Bernie can do something other than pop in to shake her head at the men.

But this is is all spitballing, I confess- I'll watch the ep and get back to you!

Posted

After repeated viewings, I am still LOL at this episode! 

Sheldon to Leonard and Penny huddled on the floor: 'Don't worry! Everyone in here is safe!' Gasps at helicopter and slams door shut.

Still laughing! 

Tremendous, hilarious episode! 

Posted

I enjoyed the episode.

There were def. LOL moments for me and I loved the Lenny and more specifically LOVE LOVE LOVE how Leonard really stood out in this epi.  His speech was amazing.

If there were any quibble, for me...it was that Raj STILL has an allowance.  But whatever he does. I enjoyed him playing his parents.  Yes, I was happy to see his parents on screen again.  I like them.

After reading comments, I did not come away from this story thinking something or anything,anyone was missing.  I felt that it was well rounded.  Shamy/Amy could have been injected sure but (and you know I am both a Lenny and Shamy) I didn't personally think anything was missing.

I have never been a fan of just putting something or into a story because.  If it had to be there and made sense, sure I get it.  However, IMO, this story was ok to be Shamy/Amy light.  YMMV, of course.       

Posted

I absolutely loved this episode. Besides being a Lenny, I am also a fan of Amy even more so than Shamy, so normally if I had to pick one absence that I wouldn't mind as much it would be Shamy's rather than Amy's. However that would be in general. In this particular episode I didn't miss Amy at all, as I don't think that her presence would have fit the story very well. By having one less character the stories were allowed to breathe a little more, and were better IMO. I wish they'd do this more: not write for everybody all the time, but rather have one of the characters perhaps not appear so much in an episode, and let the stories they tell have more room to operate in.

Posted

I didn't really miss Amy in this story or in the previous one, either. I think that in these two cases, as was said above, there really wasn't much in the stories that would have played to her strengths as a character.

In the previous episode, Melissa had one scene with Howard (the cocktail spheres) that was part of the alpha/beta discussion, and then the girls had their scene at the end. Amy wouldn't have had much to do other than perhaps comment on the guys' discussion, which wasn't really needed.

And in this recent episode I think it would have been worse to try to shoehorn Amy into a story just to have her there.

I think that if the writers knew that Mayim would want/need more time off during Passover, etc., they found a way to tell some stories where her presence wasn't crucial, so the fort building episode came earlier, then she's given light duty over the next two episodes. She is required to be in every episode, but that doesn't mean that she, or any other character, has to be in every scene or has to be central to the storyline.

Lionne and 5Mississippis like this

Posted

Not seen this commented on yet.Just seen a repeat of this kepisode on U.K. Television, and the one thing that always puzzles me is why a know it all pedant like  Sheldon doesn't say mortar boards but instead says "pointy hats". I know it adds to the comic effect but just doesn't seem to fit with Sheldon's personality.

Licat Volari Si Super Tergum Aquila Volat