stardustmelody

X-Files

41 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Sorry to resurrect an old thread (no TBBT stuff really atm, I wasn't on the forum when this aired and I am kind of bored lol) but I started a whole new re-watch of Seasons 1-9 plus the two movies in December/January and then watched the Season 10/mini series after that which I finished a couple of weeks ago. It remains my all time favorite TV show, those first 6 Seasons in particular are just magnificent tv viewing.

Pretty much have to agree with the comments already on here that it was a mixed bag in terms of Season 10. First episode was largely setting the scene after them being away for such a long time, lot of nostalgia thrown in there wondering what they had been up to and the story was ok but not great. But episodes 2-4 I loved, back on the X-Files and Monsters of the Week format. Were-Monster is as good as any of the comedy based Monsters they did back in the day. Episode 5 was just poor, Mulder on his magic mushroom trip (placebo driven lol) I have to say I cringed at that. The finale was just a mess quite frankly.

I see that Fox wants to bring it back because of the ratings, but it looks like 2018 is the likely time it will happen if it does happen and if they can get Gillian and David on board. David seems very up for it but Gillian less so though though that could be because she has a lot of other projects right now.

I would welcome it back but I think the mythology arc needs a major re-write. It kind of started to lose the plot around Season 6 and then continued to spiral after that. But I was always more of a fan of MOTW episodes anyway, they tend to be the most memorable when I think of the show and I think they proved they can still do them to a high standard.

I think the limited number of episodes kind of hurt them, 6 episodes where they had to fit in the mythology arc, monster of the week and some comedy episodes plus also a kind of catch up to see what they had both been up to since we last saw them. FOX are talking about perhaps a 10 episode Season 11 which actually might be a better idea to fit everything into the season.

Edited by Jonny
April, spidergirl, RJ1013 and 1 other like this

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Jonny said:

Sorry to resurrect an old thread (no TBBT stuff really atm, I wasn't on the forum when this aired and I am kind of bored lol) but I started a whole new re-watch of Seasons 1-9 plus the two movies in December/January and then watched the Season 10/mini series after that which I finished a couple of weeks ago. It remains my all time favorite TV show, those first 6 Seasons in particular are just magnificent tv viewing.

Pretty much have to agree with the comments already on here that it was a mixed bag in terms of Season 10. First episode was largely setting the scene after them being away for such a long time, lot of nostalgia thrown in there wondering what they had been up to and the story was ok but not great. But episodes 2-4 I loved, back on the X-Files and Monsters of the Week format. Were-Monster is as good as any of the comedy based Monsters they did back in the day. Episode 5 was just poor, Mulder on his magic mushroom trip (placebo driven lol) I have to say I cringed at that. The finale was just a mess quite frankly.

I see that Fox wants to bring it back because of the ratings, but it looks like 2018 is the likely time it will happen if it does happen and if they can get Gillian and David on board. David seems very up for it but Gillian less so though though that could be because she has a lot of other projects right now.

I would welcome it back but I think the mythology arc needs a major re-write. It kind of started to lose the plot around Season 6 and then continued to spiral after that. But I was always more of a fan of MOTW episodes anyway, they tend to be the most memorable when I think of the show and I think they proved they can still do them to a high standard.

I think the limited number of episodes kind of hurt them, 6 episodes where they had to fit in the mythology arc, monster of the week and some comedy episodes plus also a kind of catch up to see what they had both been up to since we last saw them. FOX are talking about perhaps a 10 episode Season 11 which actually might be a better idea to fit everything into the season.

I am watching for the first time. Yeah,I know, LOL! But I had classes at University after my work Schedule by the time the XFiles aired in portuguese tv. I am in season 2 at moment and really enjoying it. Going to post my thoughts here. :) 

Edited by spidergirl
Jonny and RJ1013 like this

Posted (edited)

A friend sent me a link letting me know the show is officially coming back for a Season 11, much to my excitement!!!

http://ew.com/tv/2017/04/20/x-files-fox-season-11/

10 episodes this time should really help with the pacing. If they can somehow fix the mythology arc then this should be pretty exciting. The Monsters of the Week actually were pretty decent in Season 10.

At the very least the show won't end on that bloody awful cliffhanger lol!

Edited by Jonny
RJ1013, April and spidergirl like this

Posted (edited)

5 hours ago, Jonny said:

A friend sent me a link letting me know the show is officially coming back for a Season 11, much to my excitement!!!

http://ew.com/tv/2017/04/20/x-files-fox-season-11/

10 episodes this time should really help with the pacing. If they can somehow fix the mythology arc then this should be pretty exciting. The Monsters of the Week actually were pretty decent in Season 10.

At the very least the show won't end on that bloody awful cliffhanger lol!

Gosh, this week had all great news? So happy for this! Thanks so much for sharing! 

Edited by spidergirl
Jonny likes this

Posted (edited)

You've just got to love their reaction to the announcement:

mulderscully.jpg.6318399b0c018f54d7db50bcf94060e7.jpg

:)

Edited by Jonny
spidergirl and RJ1013 like this

Posted

Ha! I love their shameless flirting on Twitter and elsewhere. It's hilarious.

RJ1013 and Jonny like this

Posted (edited)

18 minutes ago, No Regrets said:

Ha! I love their shameless flirting on Twitter and elsewhere. It's hilarious.

All adds to the legend of it, and the speculation (i'm sure they know what they are doing) lol. I'll never forget that interview last year Gillian had with a magazine when the interviewer tried to bring up did they have a thing off screen and Gillian was like well of course there is a mutual attraction between us, but we never acted on it. The way she said it was like in another lifetime or another set of circumstances yeah we would have hooked up lol.

With the legendary chemistry they had millions are convinced still something must have gone on at some point lol.

Edited by Jonny
spidergirl likes this

Posted

6 minutes ago, Jonny said:

All adds to the legend of it, and the speculation (i'm sure they know what they are doing) lol. I'll never forget that interview last year Gillian had with a magazine when the interviewer tried to bring up did they have a thing off screen and Gillian was like well of course there is a mutual attraction between us, but we never acted on it. The way she said it was like in another lifetime or another set of circumstances yeah we would have hooked up lol.

With the legendary chemistry they had millions are convinced still something must have gone on at some point lol.

They definitely have great chemistry now. I remember their interview on Jimmy Kimmel a while ago that made me raise an eyebrow, so I can imagine what it did to those hardcore "Gillovny" believers. LOL.

spidergirl and Jonny like this

Posted

3 minutes ago, No Regrets said:

They definitely have great chemistry now. I remember their interview on Jimmy Kimmel a while ago that made me raise an eyebrow, so I can imagine what it did to those hardcore "Gillovny" believers. LOL.

Was that the one about the Vancouver weather causing bad hair thanks to moisture? Took Gillian a while to explain the moistness lol

No Regrets likes this

Posted

1 minute ago, Jonny said:

Was that the one about the Vancouver weather causing bad hair thanks to moisture? Took Gillian a while to explain the moistness lol

Yes! That's the one. And David was like, "I'd finish the story if I had ANY idea what she's talking about". Hilarious.

spidergirl and Jonny like this

Posted (edited)

25 minutes ago, Jonny said:

I must confess the premise of the show did not get me curious but after hearing for all these years their chemestry as Molder and Scully was brilliant, I had a try. And now I am hooked, love these two!

Edited by spidergirl
RJ1013 and Jonny like this

Posted (edited)

32 minutes ago, spidergirl said:

I must confess the premise of the show did not get me curious but after hearing for all these years their chemestry as Molder and Scully was brilliant, I had a try. And now I am hooked, love these two!

As far as on screen chemistry there aren't many better. John and Aeryn from Farscape are the only other one that could compete for me. Though I have also heard great things about John and Delenn? from Babylon 5.

Did you know there is strong evidence that the term Shippers actually originated with Mulder and Scully? When the show was on and it was the early era of the internet the show was one of the first to have a real online community and discussion boards. You had shippers as in relationship/pers people who wanted them to get them together and non shippers who wanted them to go no further than a working relationship.

Edited by Jonny
spidergirl likes this

Posted

32 minutes ago, Jonny said:

Did you know there is strong evidence that the term Shippers actually originated with Mulder and Scully? 

I've read that, too. Pretty cool.

Posted

1 hour ago, Jonny said:

As far as on screen chemistry there aren't many better. John and Aeryn from Farscape are the only other one that could compete for me. Though I have also heard great things about John and Delenn? from Babylon 5.

Did you know there is strong evidence that the term Shippers actually originated with Mulder and Scully? When the show was on and it was the early era of the internet the show was one of the first to have a real online community and discussion boards. You had shippers as in relationship/pers people who wanted them to get them together and non shippers who wanted them to go no further than a working relationship.

This is one of those things where I can say "Yes, it's true. I was there." LOL! We did invent that term. :p

TXF has been my first tv love, it started when I was too young to watch it (much to my mother's despair, since I would find ways to watch it anyway) and my first all-out obsession and the reason I got into science.

So it will always hold a special place in my heart, although it broke it in tiny little pieces, slowly and painfully, through seasons 8 through 10 (and movie #2). I did not enjoy anything about that revival at all other than Darin Morgan's episode (M&S meet the Weremonster - brilliant). I just don't think Chris Carter has it in him anymore to write this series, he should just step back the way George Lucas did with Star Wars. And the guys he got back to write are, IMO, some of the most overrated XF writers ever. The problem is that all the great XF writers are busy with their own, high-quality tv shows now (Vince Gilligan, Alex Gansa and Howard Gordon, Frank Spotnitz) and so it's unlikely he'll be bringing them back.

Plus, the fact that they tried to 'reset' the show back to 1995 really backfired big time. Mulder and Scully are just too old now to live the lives they used to live back in their 30's-40's. If they wanted to reboot the show, they should have let them evolve according to their experiences and their ages. The fact that they went back to the FBI after everything that happened at 50+ years old is ridiculous. The problem with CC is that he tries to milk and reinvent the same plots over and over instead of giving answers and moving on. He was a TV genius, and he created a template that has influenced television at large and will continue to for decades, but he's just not with it anymore. 

I'll watch S11, of course, but I'm not expecting to be blown away.

Jonny and spidergirl like this

Posted (edited)

4 hours ago, Jonny said:

That's so cool! 

You know, I have always had a shipper soul, hehe!  My friends and I were very active to ship offline couples from tv like Dempsey and Makepeace and Maddie and David from Moonlight as I was a teen. When internet became a usual thing for everyone have acess in my country , one of the  funniest things  were my times as Ron and Hermione shipper online and the great discovery of fanfics, lol!

Glad to know the shipper therm was created from such amazing tv show like X-Files . A nice shipper comunity online is something really cool and I am really glad to have found this one which allow me to have also great conversations about other tv shows couples I love like Mulder and Scully! Cheers to Internet! :)

Edited by spidergirl
Jonny likes this

Posted

Shipping in TXF fandom was a complicated phenomenon, and tiresome as well. Basically, there were different levels of shipping: you had the shippers who pretty much only watched the show to see if M&S would hook up, the shippers who loved the show and also loved the M&S dynamic and rooted for them to get together, the people who loved the show and were neutral as to whether they would get together or not (they were called Fencers) and the people who did not want them to hook up in any way, shape or form (they were called Noromos). You can imagine the massive rows and fights that would break out across these sections of the fandom, and the amount of sweeping generalizations and gender wars that came with it. 

I used to be in the second group when I was a teenager, but now I think I'm more of a Fencer (especially after the way CC handled them in S8-10, I can't bring myself to care anymore). It just made so much sense to me that they would get together after everything they went through and the extent they went to risk each other's lives to save the other and the fact that they ended up being essentially the only people on the planet they could trust, though. I mean, can you imagine Scully with a husband and kids suddenly getting up in the middle of dinner going "Sorry, dears. My colleague is in danger and I need to go risk my life to save his because I couldn't live without him otherwise. I may or may not return. Bye!"? LOL. 

April likes this