Tripper

episodes
902 The Separation Oscillation (September 28)

What did you think of "The Separation Oscillation"?   96 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate the episode?

• Excellent
    • Very Good
    • Good
    • Okay
    • Bad
    • Very Bad

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

118 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

902 - THE SEPARATION OSCILLATION 
Aired September 28, 2015

The Separation Oscillation

As Leonard and Penny struggle with the revelation he kissed another woman, Leonard goes to meet the woman in question, Mandy, in a bid to show Penny there's nothing to worry about. Elsewhere, Sheldon films an episode of Fun with Flags alone following his break-up with Amy, who is angered by Sheldon's thinly veiled comments about their recent split.

Meanwhile, Bernadette is uncomfortable with the fact she's known about Leonard's kiss for two years after Howard told her, while Raj is unhappy that he did not share the gossip with him.

Edited by Tripper

Posted

I thought the episode was good. I loved it when Leonard asked Penny to stay married to him. Also loved it when Sheldon referred to FWF as his and Amy's baby.

Posted

well that wasn't so bad love the way Leonard and Penny talked and worked things out and in my opinion the dream kiss was really nothing to be that upset about and Sheldon better be careful Amy will issue another restraining order against him I loved the Shamy scenes too

veejay, Shamyyes, JoeSal90 and 1 other like this

Posted

Thought it was a good episode tonight and loved the way that Leonard and Penny worked things out with each other and I have a bad feeling that Sheldon has to be very careful in not getting another restraining order to along with his previous ones from Stan Lee, Leonard Nimoy, Bill Nye, and Carl Sagan.

mjc45, JE7 and Itwasdestined like this

Posted

It was a good episode, just still kinda hate this break up. Talking about sabotaging a relationship: Sheldon is doing exactly that but he has no idea. 

Posted

Meka: I don't know that they were blowing it out of proportion. He was still unfaithful, if you think about it, and while they did explain why he told Penny after almost two years, and , to me, the explanation makes sense, that still doesn't explain why he did what he did.

That being said I found a lot of things funny, like when Bernadette is insisting that everything is "so new to her", and also when Raj complaints to Howard why he hadn't told him about Leonard's indiscretions. Also loved the talk Leonard and Penny had in what is now "their" apartment, but didn't like the "group on" joke for the marriage counseling. Really enjoyed when Raj and Howard were teasing Leonard about what they'd do to Mandy, before he went over and spoke to her. Another thing that becomes crystal clear is how right Amy is to stay separated from Sheldon, since he's being a total ass. 

Posted

Cold open was 

G R O S S

G R O S S

G R O S S

Fwf was amusing but Sheldon needs to give Amy space

JE7 likes this

Posted

Meka: I don't know that they were blowing it out of proportion. He was still unfaithful, if you think about it, and while they did explain why he told Penny after almost two years, and , to me, the explanation makes sense,

Oh I agree he was unfaithful there.  But to me, different degree's of infidelity deserve different degree's of punishment.  If Leonard had not treated it as something shameful that he felt was worth keeping, Penny's reaction might not have been as bad as it was.  I think Penny's reaction was a combination of the stakes feeling so high because they were about to get married, plus her having her perception of Leonard challenged.

that still doesn't explain why he did what he did.

What do you mean?  Why he kissed Mandy, or why he kept it a secret for 2 years?

JohnPhD and Itwasdestined like this

Posted

Cold open was 

G R O S S

G R O S S

G R O S S

If people were bothered by the opening there really not fans of the show. JMO

JohnPhD likes this

Posted

Oh, yeah, I agree with you. It was an infidelity but it was not as if he had actually slept with Mandy. I still wouldn't have thought Leonard would have done that to Penny, but..well.. he did. In his defense there was alcohol involved and I'm sure he never thought he was going to be involved in anything like that, and to his credit he stopped it, but... the kiss still leaves a bad taste in my mouth ( no pun in tended). What I was referring to was why he kissed Mandy. Of course we might never know. .

Yes what Leonard said to Penny tonight was better than his vows in my opinion

I loved what he said to Penny tonight, but I liked the vows better.

Cold open was 

G R O S S

G R O S S

G R O S S

The cold open didn't bother me, because it was a dream, but it was , IMO, unnecessary, and inserted only for the shock value.

sarah7, JE7 and sdffcx like this

Posted

Just because it's a dream doesn't make it any less gross than if it was real

Posted (edited)

This was a very good episode and it follows a pattern that I think Steve Malaro and company uses to satisfy the diverse portions of  TBBT diaspora. When ever there is a major advancement in a season for the Lenny, there is some balm given to the Shennys in the form of a scene they can dream about. Normally he has a strong Shenny moment in a episode before of after the Lenny advancement, this time they did it all in one episode.

Steve Malaro and the producers are steadfast in having the Lenny as THE primary lovers on TBBT without question but he is loathed to crush at least the visual hope of Shenny.

Season 5:

5.12 The Shiny Trinket Maneuver - Sheldon asks Penny out on a date to make Amy jealous and is convinced he is "the Guy" Penny is secretly in love with.

5.13 The Recombination Hypothesis - Leonard and Penny reunite

Season 6:

6.04 The Re-entry Minimization - The "Shenny Kiss" while wrestling.

6.05 The Holographic Excitation -  Penny realizes the reason she loves Leonard while he gives her a tour of his lab.

Season 7:

7.01 - The Hofstadter Insufficiency - Sheldon and Penny bond over missing Leonard who seems not to miss them at all. Culminating in a big Shenny hug.

7.02 - The Deception Verification - Leonard returns and the Lenny want alone time without Sheldon

7.11 - The Cooper Extraction - Amy's fantasy about Penny striping in the laundry room trying to seduce Sheldon

7.> - The rest of the season is a run up to the Lenny engagement with several Shenny scenes thrown in for good measure (7.13, 7.16 and 7.21)

Season 8:

8.16 - The Intimacy Acceleration - Sheldon and Penny try and fail to "fall in love"

8.>  - The rest of the season is a run up to the Lenny marriage.

Season 9:

9.02 - The Separation Oscillation - This time it's Leonard turn to dream about Shenny kissing.

9.02 - Lenny reaffirm that they are the loves of each others lives and the marriage starts in earnest.

The writers have the Lenny and Shamy canon so structured and in line that Shenny can only be shown in fantasy now. The kiss was so disconnected from the show's "reality" that it seem staged just to satisfy this year's Shenny moment.

Edited by BangerMain

Posted

I'm sorry I tried but I just can't.....I'm still pissed off about the robes!  

image.jpg

image.jpg

Posted

Huh? So fans have to like everything that happens on the show, no matter what?

Posted

I have not heard anything so ridiculous in my life!     I didn't realize you were the judge of who gets to be a fan or not.  I thought that was left up to individuals who watch the show for 9 years and invest their time in it to decide if they are a fan or not.  UGH!   

Posted

Oh, yeah, I agree with you. It was an infidelity but it was not as if he had actually slept with Mandy. I still wouldn't have thought Leonard would have done that to Penny, but..well.. he did. In his defense there was alcohol involved and I'm sure he never thought he was going to be involved in anything like that, and to his credit he stopped it, but... the kiss still leaves a bad taste in my mouth ( no pun in tended). What I was referring to was why he kissed Mandy. Of course we might never know. .

I loved what he said to Penny tonight, but I liked the vows better.

The cold open didn't bother me, because it was a dream, but it was , IMO, unnecessary, and inserted only for the shock value.

I think the conversation with Mandy showed how the kiss could have happened--not only were they all drunk, but she was obviously kissing or hooking up with various people, not looking for relationships or remembering what she had done.  It seems like she was not into him specifically, but just having "fun" with no expectations, kissing whoever she came across.

Posted

I'm sorry I tried but I just can't.....I'm still pissed off about the robes!  

image.jpg

image.jpg

Again they used those robes SPECIFICALLY for the body painting.

Posted

This was a very good episode and it follows a pattern that I think Steve Malaro and company uses to satisfy the diverse portions of  TBBT diaspora. When ever there is a major advancement in a season for the Lenny, there is some balm given to the Shennys in the form of a scene they can dream about. Normally he has a strong Shenny moment in a episode before of after the Lenny advancement, this time they did it all in one episode.

Steve Malaro and the producers are steadfast in having the Lenny as THE primary lovers on TBBT without question but he is loathed to crush at least the visual hope of Shenny.

Season 5:

5.12 The Shiny Trinket Maneuver - Sheldon asks Penny out on a date to make Amy jealous and is convinced he is "the Guy" Penny is secretly in love with.

5.13 The Recombination Hypothesis - Leonard and Penny reunite

Season 6:

6.04 The Re-entry Minimization - The "Shenny Kiss" while wrestling.

6.05 The Holographic Excitation -  Penny realizes the reason she loves Leonard while he gives her a tour of his lab.

Season 7:

7.01 - The Hofstadter Insufficiency - Sheldon and Penny bond over missing Leonard who seems not to miss them at all. Culminating in a big Shenny hug.

7.02 - The Deception Verification - Leonard returns and the Lenny want alone time without Sheldon

7.11 - The Cooper Extraction - Amy's fantasy about Penny striping in the laundry room trying to seduce Sheldon

7.> - The rest of the season is a run up to the Lenny engagement with several Shenny scenes thrown in for good measure (7.13, 7.16 and 7.21)

Season 8:

8.16 - The Intimacy Acceleration - Sheldon and Penny try and fail to "fall in love"

8.>  - The rest of the season is a run up to the Lenny marriage.

Season 9:

9.02 - The Separation Oscillation - This time it's Leonard turn to dream about Shenny kissing.

9.02 - Lenny reaffirm that they are the loves of each others lives and the marriage starts in earnest.

The writers have the Lenny and Shamy canon so structured and in line that Shenny can only be shown in fantasy now. The kiss was so disconnected from the show's "reality" that it seem staged just to satisfy this year's Shenny moment.

See it is this kind of silliness that bothers me.  They have a story to write and they want to have two couples be canon.  So why even care or bother with trying to appease fans that may not agree.  Other shows don't give a hoot or holler if a viewer disagrees with the choices they make for pairings.   If they had chosen Shenny in the beginning then well, probably all of us would be rooting for them.  But that wasn't where they ever intended on going.  Leonard was the man for Penny from the very first episode.   So why cater to fans who are having to live out a fantasy and annoy the fans that they have with such manufactured and pathetic scenes?  I really hate this mentality if this is truly what they are doing. 

Write the story and commit to it and quit playing games to appease a non-existent fan base because most of those "want romantic Shenny" fans have long left the show.  They watch and wait for these moments and then make more out of it than is intended.   

I just wish they would quit playing games like this, if indeed that is what they are doing.

Mariel and Chaliceinnana like this

Posted

See it is this kind of silliness that bothers me.  They have a story to write and they want to have two couples be canon.  So why even care or bother with trying to appease fans that may not agree.  Other shows don't give a hoot or holler if a viewer disagrees with the choices they make for pairings.   If they had chosen Shenny in the beginning then well, probably all of us would be rooting for them.  But that wasn't where they ever intended on going.  Leonard was the man for Penny from the very first episode.   So why cater to fans who are having to live out a fantasy and annoy the fans that they have with such manufactured and pathetic scenes?  I really hate this mentality if this is truly what they are doing. 

Write the story and commit to it and quit playing games to appease a non-existent fan base because most of those "want romantic Shenny" fans have long left the show.  They watch and wait for these moments and then make more out of it than is intended.   

I just wish they would quit playing games like this, if indeed that is what they are doing.

I don't think that list of incidents is truly indicative of an actual "Shenny appeasement plan" by the writers or TPTB.

Sheldon and Penny interact because they're neighbors and because certain kind of moments only work between the two of them simply because they're NOT a couple or intended to be seen as a couple.

The so-called Shenny kiss in re-entry minimization was intended to "torture" Sheldon--and it was a decidedly unromantic peck on the nose, not a mutual kiss.  And Amy joined into the "kissing" as well.

Shiny Trinket was, IMO, a moment where they were doing two things--showing that Sheldon was actually trying to figure out a way to make Amy jealous (kind of like tonight) by asking Penny out, and then blatantly underscoring the idea that there was NOTHING between them--"you're so not the guy".

I think that you can cherry pick episodes to try to create a pattern if you're predisposed to do so.  I think that the writers are just telling the stories as they come, not planning some crazy pattern for Shenny/Lenny fans.

April, veejay, Lionne and 1 other like this

Posted (edited)

I don't think that list of incidents is truly indicative of an actual "Shenny appeasement plan" by the writers or TPTB.

Sheldon and Penny interact because they're neighbors and because certain kind of moments only work between the two of them simply because they're NOT a couple or intended to be seen as a couple.

The so-called Shenny kiss in re-entry minimization was intended to "torture" Sheldon--and it was a decidedly unromantic peck on the nose, not a mutual kiss.  And Amy joined into the "kissing" as well.

Shiny Trinket was, IMO, a moment where they were doing two things--showing that Sheldon was actually trying to figure out a way to make Amy jealous (kind of like tonight) by asking Penny out, and then blatantly underscoring the idea that there was NOTHING between them--"you're so not the guy".

I think that you can cherry pick episodes to try to create a pattern if you're predisposed to do so.  I think that the writers are just telling the stories as they come, not planning some crazy pattern for Shenny/Lenny fans.

I didn't suggest this...this was suggested by the original poster.  I find it hard to believe they are trying to appease Shenny fans as well...but I really  don't know what is in the head of the writers.  They continue to baffle me with some of their choices.

Edited by stardustmelody
JE7 likes this