Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kev0821

Season 9: Episode Run-times

11 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I'm just curious if anyone has noticed the even shorter run-times this season... Episodes have always fluctuated between 18-22 minutes, but this season, the latest episodes are clocking in around 18ish minutes. I know TBBT is the network's highest rated sitcom, which spells a lot of ad-revenue for CBS, but I can't help but feel a little cheated. For example, they're using a new transition this season, where the camera zooms out quickly, as seen in "The 2003 Approximation" and tonight's "The Perspiration Implementation." Think this was done to help cram in more commercials? Also, we got a 5-second tag scene tonight. While not uncommon, it irks me, especially considering the already shortened time. Regardless, what really "creams my corn" is the fact that when these episodes enter syndication, they'll experience some edits, as well. (Yes, TBBT is not the only one experiencing shorter run-times, but take Modern Family, for example. That series still has episodes running 21+ minutes, and it has the same 31 minute allotment, albeit lower ratings.) Just something interesting I wanted to point out... Let me know your thoughts!

Edited by Kev0821
JE7 likes this

Posted

When new episodes are broadcast, does anyone's CBS affiliate sometimes "cut" a small portion of the episode, due to too many commercials? This is the second time this season that an episode came back after a commercial with a character mid-way through dialogue. Sheldon's line was ruined, and then they talked about starting the fireplace... I get that the show pulls in big bucks, but why is it being cut to fit these in? Sloppy editing from my local affiliate? Am I the only one experiencing this?

JohnPhD likes this

Posted

What DMA are you in or whats your largest city near you? Actually the only local affiliate breaks are the 758p EST and the approx 813-817p EST. And formatting is done in advance so not sure but in addition to your DMA can you tell me if you watch via a cable provider or DISH or old fashion over-the-air. I can look into it because formatting should be identical for all affiliates.

I can look into this for you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted (edited)

I have DirecTV and am close to the Pittsburgh area. Like I said, it doesn't happen often, but this is the second time it has occurred during TBBT this year. I wonder if national commercials are added first, and then local promos/commercials have so much time allotted to them. It seems like the commercials run over their time, when a news promo or local lottery commercial airs. It's just strange. I've noticed the same thing occur, during certain airings on ABC, as well.

Edited by Kev0821
spelling error

Posted

Watching on E4 in the UK I sometimes don't get lines of dialogue that I read about on this forum.

Posted

On ‎4‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 7:51 PM, Kev0821 said:

I have DirecTV and am close to the Pittsburgh area. Like I said, it doesn't happen often, but this is the second time it has occurred during TBBT this year. I wonder if national commercials are added first, and then local promos/commercials have so much time allotted to them. It seems like the commercials rum over their time, when a news promo or local lottery commercial airs. It's just strange. I've noticed the same thing occur, during certain airings on ABC, as well.

I've never had that happen.

Posted

On 10.4.2016 at 5:00 PM, JohnPhD said:

Watching on E4 in the UK I sometimes don't get lines of dialogue that I read about on this forum.

Interestingly, while watching "The Friendship Turbulence" on demand from the cable TV here in Israel, me and my mom thought the may have cut the line about Sheldon not having to pee anymore because we remembered it from the bloopers, but I'm not sure if it made it to the final cut. I did however hear other people saying E4 cuts parts.

Posted

E4 does sometimes perhaps cut to an advert earlier than they should,might explain some dialogue cuts. The only other editing I know they do is that some episodes are edited before the 8pm watershed.

For example, If The Opening Night Excitation is on before 8pm as a repeat then the 'That settles it Amy's birthday present will be my genitals' is cut. Another example is some of the jokes when Howard gets that robot hand to jack him off and it gets stuck are cut. Many other examples as well.

Posted

3 hours ago, Jonny said:

E4 does sometimes perhaps cut to an advert earlier than they should,might explain some dialogue cuts.

E4 always wastes minutes on trailers for other E4 shows. They could cut those if theyt've got more ads. Damn them.

Posted

In the U.S., some episodes get a line or scene cut from time to time to allow for more commercials in syndication. However, that's not what I'm talking about here... Sometimes my CBS station cuts off the episode, when it comes back from commercial break, or at the very start of the episode. It seems to me that certain ads run over their allotted time, and the episode resumes "already in progress." It's not all of the time, but when it does occur, it's irritating to say the least. It's like it picks right up with the characters already in mid-sentence. It may not be any more than 5-10 seconds lost, but when the episodes are already so short, I feel jibbed when it happens.