Penny 4 your thoughts

Dear Producers

43 posts in this topic

Posted

I have watched every episode of The Big Bang Theory and think it's one of the best shows ever made. However in recent seasons I have become less and less impressed. This boils down to two main reasons. 
1. I have never really like Amy. In my opinion she was a novelty for a few episodes but became boring and repetitive very soon. At the beginning of season 9 I thought for a while she might actually be dropped but sadly no.
2. Penny! I am sure I am not the only one that has noticed the two main reasons for liking  her have now completely gone. Her looks and her ignorance of the nerd culture and science. At the start she was  ultra sexy and dressed and behaved to match. Now with her short hair and clothes going up to her throat the producers have desexualised her completely.  This ruins the interaction with the male characters which is a large part of the humour. Now of course she is not so dumb. So once again funny interactions are not possible and scenes with Penny have become dull and unfunny.
I understand there is a desire to develop characters but remember this is a comedy. They are developing the characters into ones that you no longer laugh at (normal people). Look at comedies like Married With Children, all of the characters stayed the same throughout every episode so it stayed as funny at the end as it was at the start. Use other methods to keep it fresh and please please get rid of Amy.

djvang likes this

Posted (edited)

Mayim signed on sorry brah lol. As for Penny. She dresses differently as her character s outlook has changed. Due to Leonard. Not flaunting herself for guys anymore. But trust me in 09 ppl bitched then, just like they do now. I agree though Penny is not an old women. As it is Kaleys hair is longer now. Shes not going to behave out. As shes married now. Whole premise has changed by your right. But it had to. Change is the only constant. You want that Penny you described. Watch the dvds.

Edited by 3ku11
JE7 likes this

Posted

Penny dresses differently because she's not 20 anymore and she's married. Also in my opinion, Penny is cutter and hotter now with this season's haircut. But hey, I'm a girl, so who cares about my opinion on women's attractiveness. As for her ignorance of the nerd culture, well it's been 9 years, Penny may not have a PhD or something but she's not dumb.

I'm so sorry that you don't like Amy. But since I believe Mayim is not going anywhere until the show ends despite your sincere little letter to the producers, there's nothing you can do. Maybe you could switch channels whenever she's on screen? That's just my humble suggestion. I for one, LOVE Amy, so yay for me.

Posted

Well I sure as heck hope this poster wasn't trying to be sincere in their post about how they feel about the show...

Posted

19 hours ago, Penny 4 your thoughts said:

< snipped out all the fuckery >

19191.jpg.03053a1b0b4a84d823e25a8e1f1fe4

Just FYI the producers aren't here this is a FAN forum. 

4 hours ago, wowbagger said:

You are mistaken. Let me reveal my true identity as a producer of this show. I have read this post, and was waiting for just this signal to reverse the character and plot developments of the past nine seasons. Thank you, dear poster, of reminding me of my true obligation - my Prime Directive, if you will: to give my male viewers targets to sneer at (through the clueless desperate nerdy male characters) or to masturbate to (through Penny). I apologise profusely for the tasteless reminders over the past few seasons that women, too, have careers and brains and desires and agency, and don't always bother dressing to pleasure the Male Gaze. Message received, with my thanks!

Can we have more skimpy outfits on the guys for the girls/gay male stare pleaze?! k, thanks ;) 

Posted

9 minutes ago, Stephen Hawking said:

What about Amy and Bernadette?

You're not understanding the original poster at all Stevie boy, brains = not hot, DUR! :rofl:

JE7 and wowbagger like this

Posted

8 minutes ago, Einstein Von Brainstorm said:

19191.jpg.03053a1b0b4a84d823e25a8e1f1fe4

Just FYI the producers aren't here this is a FAN forum. 

Can we have more skimpy outfits on the guys for the girls/gay male stare pleaze?! k, thanks ;) 

No! There is no gaze except that of the heterosexual man! None! There have been a few regrettable lapses over the years wherein the menfolk have been observed sans trousers, and sometimes sans shirt, but there is only one body to be worshipped: that of the beautiful California blonde whose only other defining characteristic is a lack of knowledge of nerd culture. It all went to shit once we started letting Penny hang out with Sheldon, and sex was off the table. The writers took it into their heads to allow Penny to be funny, and to sometimes- the horror- look unkempt and unsexy. And then people began to realise Penny had loads of value on the show other than as a lust/romantic object for Leonard and Howard and Raj! And then the writers slipped their leash even more and brought on other girls for Penny to hang out with! I mean, even that might have been okay if all they ever did was giggle and have pillow-fights with each other in skimpy lace teddies, but they talked about stuff like the Hubble telescope and Thor's hammer and whether werewolves can swim! Can you imagine?!?

No, we're going back to the good old days when the girls were only ever there to be drooled over and to not understand the menfolk. As is right and proper.

Posted

2 minutes ago, wowbagger said:

No! There is no gaze except that of the heterosexual man! None! There have been a few regrettable lapses over the years wherein the menfolk have been observed sans trousers, and sometimes sans shirt, but there is only one body to be worshipped: that of the beautiful California blonde whose only other defining characteristic is a lack of knowledge of nerd culture. It all went to shit once we started letting Penny hang out with Sheldon, and sex was off the table. The writers took it into their heads to allow Penny to be funny, and to sometimes- the horror- look unkempt and unsexy. And then people began to realise Penny had loads of value on the show other than as a lust/romantic object for Leonard and Howard and Raj! And then the writers slipped their leash even more and brought on other girls for Penny to hang out with! I mean, even that might have been okay if all they ever did was giggle and have pillow-fights with each other in skimpy lace teddies, but they talked about stuff like the Hubble telescope and Thor's hammer and whether werewolves can swim! Can you imagine?!?

No, we're going back to the good old days when the girls were only ever there to be drooled over and to not understand the menfolk. As is right and proper.

tumblr_o0ngxhaQH61sp0cpeo4_250.gif.e962c 

c41355f8fd9623e722d5be4fbadbbae0.gif.794

ZI6JCap.gif.a60c93a89ba2711f75cfee911892

Posted

47 minutes ago, wowbagger said:

ok brilliant post is brilliant. I need you in my corner for any fight I ever have with anyone ever...

Posted

5 hours ago, wowbagger said:

You are mistaken. Let me reveal my true identity as a producer of this show. I have read this post, and was waiting for just this signal to reverse the character and plot developments of the past nine seasons. Thank you, dear poster, of reminding me of my true obligation - my Prime Directive, if you will: to give my male viewers targets to sneer at (through the clueless desperate nerdy male characters) or to masturbate to (through Penny). I apologise profusely for the tasteless reminders over the past few seasons that women, too, have careers and brains and desires and agency, and don't always bother dressing to pleasure the Male Gaze. Message received, with my thanks!

Damn it. I was so going to do that last night and changed my mind. I was going to say, "Hello, this is Bill Prady...." LMAO.

Posted (edited)

16 hours ago, phantagrae said:

Hate to break it to you, dear one-shot hit and run poster, but ain't no producer gonna read your post.

Pretty sure every poster here at some stage only had one post so not sure about that first statement. I know that no producers are going to read my post. It's a common and standard format used to share a grievance. Penny will understand what I mean when she reads it.

But yes, let's completely reduce Penny/Kaley to how she looks. That's awesome. 

I didn't completely reduce her to her looks,  did I? I clearly explained how it lead to a major aspect of the comedy set up being lost.

People are talking about how nice she is now. It's not a documentary, it's a comedy. I don't want a cast of nice decent normal people doing normal things. Comedies need larger than life characters. Most USA comedies have a dunce, a hot chick, a nasty person, a perv etc etc. You don't need them all but you need a few. BBT will never last in it's current form and people I know are saying the same thing. I guess on a BBT forum everyone will love it no matter what.

Edited by Penny 4 your thoughts

Posted

27 minutes ago, Penny 4 your thoughts said:

Pretty sure every poster here at some stage only had one post so not sure about that first statement. I know that no producers are going to read my post. It's a common and standard format used to share a grievance. Penny will understand what I mean when she reads it.

I didn't completely reduce her to her looks,  did I? I clearly explained how it lead to a major aspect of the comedy set up being lost.

People are talking about how nice she is now. It's not a documentary, it's a comedy. I don't want a cast of nice decent normal people doing normal things. Comedies need larger than life characters. Most USA comedies have a dunce, a hot chick, a nasty person, a perv etc etc. You don't need them all but you need a few. BBT will never last in it's current form and people I know are saying the same thing. I guess on a BBT forum everyone will love it no matter what.

Sorry to break it to you. But ratings never Been stronger. And its been renewed for three more seasons. So it well last in its current form. What your describing is 8 years ago. If those larger in life characters doing abnormal things still existed. Sorry it wouldn't last a second beyond s3. Its called character and story develop ment. All comedies have had it, bbt no different. Ship.sailed anyway Pennys a married women now. Which was the premise ending up with Leonard. Maybe you missed the boat their. While I enjoyed the hot girl next door. I am Also enjoying the hot girl next door growing up . But that's just me.

Posted

Penny was never just the "hot chick" (although she was that, alright). Penny/KC always made the scenes she was in by her facial reactions to the other characters' lines; that was often what made them funny, as much as or more than the delivery.

Penny was never dumb. Her indifference to the guys' "nerd culture" was often the view the audiance were invited to take, and she came across as the grown-up compared with their childish pursuits. Eg the episode where Leonard gets the replica time machine, among many. Obviously she's ignorant of science, but a PhD in the humanities would be equally ignorant of science; the difference is Penny knows she's ignorant.

I agree with the Poster about Amy; a horrible character, unpleasant to watch and listen to; but I've long since given up hope that the producers will suddenly realise this.

Posted (edited)

34 minutes ago, JohnPhD said:

Penny was never just the "hot chick" (although she was that, alright). Penny/KC always made the scenes she was in by her facial reactions to the other characters' lines; that was often what made them funny, as much as or more than the delivery.

Penny was never dumb. Her indifference to the guys' "nerd culture" was often the view the audiance were invited to take, and she came across as the grown-up compared with their childish pursuits. Eg the episode where Leonard gets the replica time machine, among many. Obviously she's ignorant of science, but a PhD in the humanities would be equally ignorant of science; the difference is Penny knows she's ignorant.

I agree with the Poster about Amy; a horrible character, unpleasant to watch and listen to; but I've long since given up hope that the producers will suddenly realise this.

Agree. But Amy is better then she was in.s4-6. Shes watchable. Shes more humanized now. I think.she contributes to the show. I do miss penny and the guys. But Amys been.on the show what nearly five seasons now. That ship has long but sailed. That and Mayim has signed on. So she aint going anywhere lol. I agree too Penny wasent or isint dumb. Thats the perception. But she's often smarter in a real world sense. Shes the peculiar one. Shes also the most grown up character imo.  

Like she said theirs normal smart then theirs abnormal smart. But these complaints about going back. Pennys married now. Her whole outlook has changed. Penny changing even more then Sheldon prob had the biggest influence on the show. But if s3 was still s9. Trust me it would be stagnant. You just can't have the same impact after so many years. Its natural progression. Adapting is key. Unfortunately its a live action. So.the actors get older in real life lol. So you can't avoid that. I also think Moloro taking over Prady as showrunner was a change too.

Edited by 3ku11
JE7 likes this

Posted

33 minutes ago, JohnPhD said:

It's been almost 6 years dude.

By the final episode of S9 the show will have ran twice as long with her on it, as it existed before she was on it.

She has numerous award nominations for her role in this show, the only thing the producers will "realise" about the Amy character is that they need to show a little bit more of her back character/POV !  :icon_biggrin:

Judith, wowbagger, April and 2 others like this

Posted (edited)

On 1/30/2016 at 5:14 PM, Penny 4 your thoughts said:

1. I have never really like Amy. In my opinion she was a novelty for a few episodes but became boring and repetitive very soon. At the beginning of season 9 I thought for a while she might actually be dropped but sadly no.

So glad she is here to STAY cause I would still not like Sheldon ..I tolerated him before she showed up! Not a popular answer, but its the truth!! 

8611e199fc6bd3917d6f0ce6d2cf513c (1)-horz.jpg

Edited by EvilStewie

Posted

On 31/01/2016 at 9:25 AM, 3ku11 said:

Sorry to break it to you. But ratings never Been stronger. And its been renewed for three more seasons. So it well last in its current form. What your describing is 8 years ago. If those larger in life characters doing abnormal things still existed. Sorry it wouldn't last a second beyond s3. Its called character and story develop ment. All comedies have had it, bbt no different. Ship.sailed anyway Pennys a married women now. Which was the premise ending up with Leonard. Maybe you missed the boat their. While I enjoyed the hot girl next door. I am Also enjoying the hot girl next door growing up . But that's just me.

When was it renewed to season 12? If it was, God forbid, 'the horror'

Posted

Just now, EvilStewie said:

So glad she is here to STAY cause I would still not like Sheldon ..I tolerated him before she showed up! Not a popular answer, but its the truth!! 

Who couldn't love this face?:

tumblr_mcf05xXp661qkdght.gif.b4984cf51b9

And hilarious lines like this?:

tumblr_o0z1t83tf41ufum4to2_250.gif.b756e

EvilStewie likes this

Posted

3 minutes ago, Einstein Von Brainstorm said:

Who couldn't love this face?:

tumblr_mcf05xXp661qkdght.gif.b4984cf51b9

And hilarious lines like this?:

tumblr_o0z1t83tf41ufum4to2_250.gif.b756e

Right! Like this one... Pure Gold!