Tensor

[Spoilers] Discussion: Season 10

10,827 posts in this topic

Posted

9 minutes ago, SRAM said:

Here is how I see it, Leonard probably accumulated a lot of student loan debt during his undergraduate and graduate years.  I bet Beverly made him pay his own way just to see how he did so she could put his results in her book.  So with  huge student loans, living in California and other bills, I could see him not having a lot of money, but him squirreling away a few thousand for emergencies is very IC for him.

People in physics generally get scholarships and don't have the burden of huge loans, as medical, law and undergraduate students have.

For those in science fields, your income is often a function of the grants you are able to bring in to the university.  Remember Amy skyping with Sheldon about being the ?? number wife of the Saudi guy who helps fund her research, and how he had to get out there and lobby/market for money, otherwise "the dirt people" will get it?  That's how it works.  

Posted

15 minutes ago, Cloud Strife said:

An otherwise crappy Lenny episode? If you're talking about the fact that they both went out of their way to save their marriage, that Penny was able to forgive Leonard while they both talked about their biggest fears (losing each other) and received a wedding gift from someone who's usually a major pain in the ass, then sure, I can see how that's total crap.

As I said, it was a cute moment in an otherwise crappy episode. Actually, it was a crappy three episode arc.  The beginning of 8.24 and the end of 9.02 were the only redeeming features for me.  

I would also recommend you look at our rules about snarky/sarcastic comments about other members opinions. 

15 minutes ago, Cloud Strife said:

The entire episode is ruined because of one meaningless comment that was supposed to make you laugh? I don't know how to process that.

Sorry, there have been multiple instances of that comment, not just one.  And the key phrase there is "supposed to".  It didn't make me laugh, all it did was piss me off, because it's been used several times (not just once) this year. If you don't know how to process that, that's fine.  But, it's how I, and more than several other Lennys here processed it. 

joyceraye, JohnPhD, JE7 and 2 others like this

Posted

10 minutes ago, Capt. Hilts said:

People in physics generally get scholarships and don't have the burden of huge loans, as medical, law and undergraduate students have.

For those in science fields, your income is often a function of the grants you are able to bring in to the university.  Remember Amy skyping with Sheldon about being the ?? number wife of the Saudi guy who helps fund her research, and how he had to get out there and lobby/market for money, otherwise "the dirt people" will get it?  That's how it works.  

I personally knew someone who had a scholarship for his masters which paid all tuition.  However it was from an expensive NE college in a high cost of living area.  He racked up a lot of debt in student loans for living expenses and for the college costs not covered by his scholarship.

Posted

21 minutes ago, Capt. Hilts said:

Remember Amy skyping with Sheldon about being the ?? number wife of the Saudi guy who helps fund her research

Actually, she said he was her Fiance.

serenaded214 and joyceraye like this

Posted

46 minutes ago, SRAM said:

Here is how I see it, Leonard probably accumulated a lot of student loan debt during his undergraduate and graduate years.  I bet Beverly made him pay his own way just to see how he did so she could put his results in her book.  So with  huge student loans, living in California and other bills, I could see him not having a lot of money, but him squirreling away a few thousand for emergencies is very IC for him.

Penny was able to live by her waitress job, Leonard's help and her credit cards which she ran up and now has a lot of debt.  If she has a 'guy', like she says, then he probably put a plan together for her that has a credit card pay off schedule plus involves investing part of her salary.  Penny probably has more money to spend but she probably doesn't see most of her salary because it goes to pay her debt, her investments, and to pay her and Leonard's shared bills, so the money he has squirreled away just may interest her.

I could believe this, but if Leonard had all this debt, how was he able to help Penny for all those years, not to mention, buy her a car.

6 minutes ago, wowbagger said:

To be fair, that line was actually not the most objectionable part of the Lenny plot in that episode - at least to me. The Central Casting Nerds objectifying Penny, and Leonard crowing over how he landed her (with an obviously miserable and uncomfortable Penny sitting behind him) is MY least favourite bit.

That's why I also mentioned treating Penny like a trophy, not his wife. 

wowbagger, bfm and joyceraye like this

Posted

34 minutes ago, SRAM said:

I personally knew someone who had a scholarship for his masters which paid all tuition.  However it was from an expensive NE college in a high cost of living area.  He racked up a lot of debt in student loans for living expenses and for the college costs not covered by his scholarship.

PHD students - especially in the sciences - have other income through being research assistants and teaching assistants and lab assistants.  

Yes, they can run up some debts, but not usually the huge ones racked up by humanities, law and medical students.

joyceraye and serenaded214 like this

Posted

12 minutes ago, Tensor said:

I could believe this, but if Leonard had all this debt, how was he able to help Penny for all those years, not to mention, buy her a car.

I picture Leonard as having a budget, which includes paying his student loans as well as putting a small amount of money away.  I think that is where he got the money for Penny's car---his "rainy day" savings????

Posted

1 minute ago, Zhalen565 said:

Sheldon: "Yeah, there’s Fisherman’s Wharf and Alcatraz and cable cars. We’re gonna have so much fun".

yeah! A really great wedding present where the GTB includes himself.

If I remember correctly wasn't the plan originally to take Amy there?

JE7 and joyceraye like this

Posted

3 hours ago, Capt. Hilts said:

This whole 'Raj living with Leonard and Penny' just makes no sense to me, on any level.  He's a physicist at a major research institution. Raj as welfare case makes no sense. The writers are destroying this character.  A guy like he is would have NO problems finding a girlfriend - even one from India - in the circumstances he's in.  There was even an episode where Howard and he go to a Hindu temple.  LOTS of folks go to religious services to meet people.  Trinity in Georgetown [washington dc] is known as the "Catholic meat market."  None of it makes sense.

It makes TV sense.  It injects Raj into the epicenter of the show where he can't be ignored and frees up some set space.

JE7, veejay, joyceraye and 1 other like this

Posted (edited)

11 minutes ago, hokie3457 said:

I picture Leonard as having a budget, which includes paying his student loans as well as putting a small amount of money away.  I think that is where he got the money for Penny's car---his "rainy day" savings????

If he had student loans, he probably wouldn't have been driving a Saab the past several years.  He might not be wealthy, but I don't think he's burdened by academic debts.

Edited by Capt. Hilts
JE7 and joyceraye like this

Posted

5 minutes ago, Capt. Hilts said:

If he had student loans, he probably wouldn't have been driving a Saab the past several years.

Again, I think it is possible with a budget.  We are not sure if he bought the Saab used or the length of the possible car loan......

joyceraye likes this

Posted

10 minutes ago, hokie3457 said:

I can see this, but I didn't get that from SRAMs post, hence my comment. 

hokie3457 and joyceraye like this

Posted

Just now, hokie3457 said:

Again, I think it is possible with a budget.  We are not sure if he bought the Saab used or the length of the possible car loan......

Yeah, but, again, a guy in physics, who's good enough at it to land a research position at Cal Tech, probably had a very good research job while working on his phd and that eases a lot of financial burdens.

bfm, joyceraye, JE7 and 1 other like this

Posted (edited)

9 minutes ago, Tensor said:

That was never stated.  It was an interpretation, that really had no basis. My question was always if it was originally for Amy, why were there three tickets?  And if Sheldon bought himself an extra ticket, why didn't he just buy another ticket for Amy?  No, this was another example of forcing Sheldon into Lenny's relationship.  

IIRC at the time of those speculations we didn't know about the third ticket. We just knew Sheldon was gifting them a trip to SF with things that Shamy would probably enjoy so it was an easy assumption to make that this may have been something he initially planned for himself and Amy.

The final episode then played out differently with Sheldon indeed inviting himself here. But for some reason those speculations still seemed to stick with some people... oh well.

Edited by April
bfm and joyceraye like this

Posted (edited)

That's how I see it; at the beginning of the show, TPTB asked the scientific consultant how much people like Leonard or Sheldon might have earned at that point in their career, which would have been more or less 40.000 dollars, probably it's not that much if you live in Southern California, but enough for the living standards they kept. Then, from that point, they assumed that was their budget and never cared to ask the consultant how much they would have earned NOW, which would be close to 100.000$ for Raj, Sheldon and Leonard, much more for Howard, who was an astronaut; again,  not enough to buy a castle, but for sure enough to take care of a baby and, in a reasonable time, of students loans.

Edited by mirs1

Posted

48 minutes ago, wowbagger said:

To be fair, that line was actually not the most objectionable part of the Lenny plot in that episode - at least to me. The Central Casting Nerds objectifying Penny, and Leonard crowing over how he landed her (with an obviously miserable and uncomfortable Penny sitting behind him) is MY least favourite bit.

I liked the whole thing.

joyceraye likes this

Posted

2 minutes ago, mirs1 said:

That's how I see it; at the beginning of the show, TPTB asked the scientific consultant how much people like Leonard or Sheldon might have earned at that point in their career, which would have been more or less 40.000 dollars, probably it's not that much if you live in Southern California, but a decent income to buy their "toys". Then, from that point, they assumed that was their budget and never cared to ask the consultant how much they would have earned NOW, which would be close to 100.000$ for Raj, Sheldon and Leonard, much more for Howard, who was an astronaut; again,  not enough to buy a castle, but for sure enough to take care of a baby and, in a reasonable time, of students loans.

Howard is a government employee, he is probably a GS-13, which is a journeyman engineer, fully qualified non supervisory.  He probably makes as salary of $100-110k accounting for additional locality pay due to being in California.  Being an astronaut does not do anything for him unless it results in a higher grade like a GS-14 or 15 because he is classified as the senior technical expert in his field at his location.

April, bfm, joyceraye and 3 others like this

Posted

34 minutes ago, Capt. Hilts said:

PHD students - especially in the sciences - have other income through being research assistants and teaching assistants and lab assistants.

Could you honestly picture Sheldon Lee Cooper being any of those?

You've only got to look at The Vacation Solution, to see how bad a lab assistant he makes (he couldn't even wash the glassware properly) , and that was when he was working for Amy.

Heaven help anyone else he works for. :icon_biggrin: 

joyceraye likes this

Posted

31 minutes ago, Enrico Fermi said:

It makes TV sense.  It injects Raj into the epicenter of the show where he can't be ignored and frees up some set space.

Talking about TV sense. I would like to say, sitcom finances usually have definitely zero basis in reality and I guess I shouldn't even bother complaining about it. :shy:

spidergirl, bfm, joyceraye and 1 other like this

Posted

4 minutes ago, Stephen Hawking said:

Could you honestly picture Sheldon Lee Cooper being any of those?

You've only got to look at The Vacation Solution, to see how bad a lab assistant he makes (he couldn't even wash the glassware properly) , and that was when he was working for Amy.

Heaven help anyone else he works for. :icon_biggrin: 

A research assistant?  Absolutely! He most likely was a paid researcher for a project funded by a grant.

Being personable, approachable or even understandable [whether it be because of complexity or the language] are NOT required of research or teaching assistants!

serenaded214 and joyceraye like this