Tensor

[Spoilers] Discussion: Season 10

14,044 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Carlos said:

I agree with you mostly, except for the part where you say you don't care too much about Lenny, because I'm a Lenny through and through. What I think 3ku11 was referring to when he said the writers have loved Shamy for the past 2 season  was the fact that they have received the best plots in comparison to Lenny, and that they have had the majority of the A plots. As far as how they're writing Shamy, I agree they're not writing it as well as they should, but if you think about it they have written Lenny even worse and to add insult to injury they have given them relatively little screen time.

I think the real problem is that the writers are really in love not with Shamy or Lenny, but with just Sheldon. I think that while the Shamy split had to occur (even if the timing was off, IMO, by about 23 episodes, the way it was handled was atrocious, since it was 95% from Sheldon's point of view. When they solved it without really changing anything, that's when they really lost me. I don't think the reconciliation was earned at all.

All of that being said I don't think the Ramona thing is much to worry about, but what do I know...  

THIS.

And not just the writers, most of the fans and casual audience too, I may add.

I don't know since when we have the notion - "The Big Three" (yeah, I'm not that devoted fan...And before Bernie and Amy showed up, I always thought "The Whole Five"...), but based on my observation on social media, most of the people really enjoy that Sheldon interrupts Lenny's various scenes.

They laughed at the scene of the 624 airport, they laughed when Sheldon talking to Lenny through the bedroom wall in 1001, they thought "Awwww, so sweet and touching!!!" when Sheldon delivered his love to Lenny in his speech, and they thought "I wish I have a friendship like Sheldon had with Leonard and Penny..." when the three of them hugged together in 1001. 

So, you see, to these people, Sheldon is bound to be involved in Lenny's life. 

And, even Sheldon himself thought so and he even said out loud. 

In 713, The Occupation Recalibration, when Leonard said:" Can we please have some privacy?" Sheldon said:" No, I'm as much a part of this relationship as you two, and I think it's high time we put all our cards on the table. For example, where is this going? Are you two ever getting married? And if so, where will we all live? Have you thought about that?" 

In 1017, The Comic-Con Conundrum, when Amy suggested Sheldon not to say anything to Lenny, Sheldon said:" If you haven't noticed, I've been between them for the last ten years."

Oh, and till this day, there are still many people think that it was Sheldon who pushed the "Lenny getting married" issue forward in 824. 

So, from the TPTB's perspective, this is a business, most of the people love Sheldon, love Sheldon in Lenny's life, so the writers give them that. They really have to meet the customers' demands.

So, all in all, I fully understand why the writers did what they did in the past three(and more) seasons. I'm not happy about it, but I understand.

PS: if you think this post is me defending the writers...I'm sorry, it's really not.

Edited by snapepans
add something
JE7, Carlos, serena_1995 and 5 others like this

Posted (edited)

4 hours ago, snapepans said:

THIS.

I don't know since when we have the notion - "The Big Three" (yeah, I'm not that devoted fan...And before Bernie and Amy showed up, I always thought "The Whole Five"...), but based on my observation on social media, most of the people really enjoy that Sheldon interrupts Lenny's various scenes.

They laughed at the scene of the 624 airport, they laughed when Sheldon talking to Lenny through the bedroom wall in 1001, they thought "Awwww, so sweet and touching!!!" when Sheldon delivered his love to Lenny in his speech, and they thought "I wish I have a friendship like Sheldon had with Leonard and Penny..." when the three of them hugged together in 1001. 

So, you see, to these people, Sheldon is bound to be involved in Lenny's life. 

And, even Sheldon himself thought so and he even said out loud. 

In 713, The Occupation Recalibration, when Leonard said:" Can we please have some privacy?" Sheldon said:" No, I'm as much a part of this relationship as you two, and I think it's high time we put all our cards on the table. For example, where is this going? Are you two ever getting married? And if so, where will we all live? Have you thought about that?" 

In 1017, The Comic-Con Conundrum, when Amy suggested Sheldon not to say anything to Lenny, Sheldon said:" If you haven't noticed, I've been between them for the last ten years."

Oh, and till this day, there are still many people think that it was Sheldon who pushed the "Lenny getting married" issue forward in 824. 

So, from the TPTB's perspective, this is a business, most of the people love Sheldon, love Sheldon in Lenny's life, so the writers give them that. They really have to meet the customers' demands.

So, all in all, I fully understand why the writers did what they did in the past three(and more) seasons. I'm not happy about it, but I understand.

PS: if you think this post is me defending the writers...I'm sorry, it's really not.

I think the writers just want to keep TBBT unique. If Leonard drops off Penny without Sheldon then the scene is little different from 100s of other goodbyes in endless other shows. Sheldon in the back seat and the scene is uniquely TBBT.

____edit

oops meant to say Penny dropping of Leonard

Edited by djsurrey
Sah, Capt. Hilts and Stargazer like this

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, snapepans said:

THIS.

Since when ?I think Sheldon was interrupting Lenny, as early as season 3. I thought there was too much  Sheldon even in early seasons, particularly since Howard and Raj weren't very developed as characters to form an ensemble. Howard was a one note creep and Raj couldn't even talk much.

So I agree , Sheldon is/was the breakout character and one of the most popular characters from the show. So it makes sense the writers use him. But IMO, they tend to overuse Sheldon too. 

In the season 3 premiere Electric Can Opener Fluctuation, Leonard and Penny reuniting was interrupted by Sheldon running away to Texas.

I remember in Gothowitz Deviation, the plot was focused on Sheldon training Penny with chocolates and interfering with Lenny

In Guitarist Amplification, it was about Sheldon throwing a fit in reaction to Lenny fight about the Guitar guy. .

In Large Hadron Collider, it was about how Sheldon wanted to go to Switzerland ruining Lenny's trip, instead of a valentines day for Lenny.

The Gorilla Experiment was more about Sheldon teaching Penny physics and making her diss Leonard ( instead of a Lenny-only plot).

The Spagetti Catalyst was about how Sheldon was struggling to keep a dinner date with Penny, just after Lenny break up. And how Sheldon was treated as their kid.

in Einstein Approximation- Lenny were interrupted from sleeping and Leonard had to get out of bed at night to get Sheldon from the ball pit .

There were other Sheldon centered episodes with very less of Lenny, like Adhesive Duck Deficiency (S/P broken arm), Vengeance Formulation(Sheldon's foam prank on kripke), Bozeman Reaction(Sheldon moves to Montana because of a burglary) , Einstein Approximation(Sheldon wants to work at Cheesecake factory), The Excelsior Acquisition (Sheldon does to jail and meets Stan Lee), Pants Alternative( very Sheldon focused), and Staircase Implementation(mostly a Shelnard episode).

many of my friends, who only watch TBBT casually, can quote Sheldon or refer to his knocks or his catchphrases. Many people do laugh at all these throwaway jokes and interruptions.

I was looking at social media for the Bert episode, and a lot of people thought Sheldon having same blood type as Amy and harvesting organs was very funny joke. What I am saying is, not everyone analyzes the relationships and whether Sheldon is showing desire for Amy or not or other aspects of heartfelt scenes, that hard core fans and shippers sometimes do . it seems the writers want to make lazy jokes and cater to everyone.

Edited by serena_1995
Carlos, veejay, Sah and 2 others like this

Posted

I think the writers just want to keep TBBT unique. If Leonard drops off Penny without Sheldon then the scene is little different from 100s of other goodbyes in endless other shows. Sheldon in the back seat and the scene is uniquely TBBT.

We have a deference of opinion on this but i wouldn't call it unique

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

5Mississippis, snapepans and veejay like this

Posted

7 minutes ago, serena_1995 said:

many of my friends, who only watch TBBT casually, can quote Sheldon or refer to his knocks or his catchphrases. Many people do laugh at all these throwaway jokes and interruptions.

I was looking at social media for the Bert episode, and a lot of people thought Sheldon having same blood type as Amy and harvesting organs was very funny joke. What I am saying is, not everyone analyzes the relationships and whether Sheldon is showing desire for Amy or not or other aspects of heartfelt scenes, that hard core fans and shippers sometimes do and it seems the writers want to make lazy jokes and cater to everyone.

This, I totally agree. 

I have friends who are hard core Sheldon fans, and really remember every one of his traits and quotes. So when the writers changed the three knock thing to some cliche drama, they were NOT happy. Oh, and me too, I may add.

Sah and serena_1995 like this

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, Cloud Strife said:

Well, Leonard is Sheldon's best friend. He wanted to say goodbye, too. It was a beautiful scene nevertheless.

But it is not neccessary. To have Sheldon. When the plot or the scene was not about him. I mean even recently this season 10.02. Penny was having issues with Bernie. And they made Penny go to Sheldon. That would of been a perfect oppurtunity for her to discuss it with her husband. But they uneccesarily forced Sheldon into the plot. Because well Sheldon needed more screen time apparently. Hijacking their wedding wasen't enough :icon_cheesygrin:. That is the problem for Lenny for me. Lack of isolated scenes, and poor communication. 10x22 seems to be a rare time where that is not apparent. I mean you thought Sheldon gone, more Lenny time, nope. 

Edited by 3ku11
legacy99, bfm and Mario D. like this

Posted

11 minutes ago, snapepans said:

This, I totally agree. 

I have friends who are hard core Sheldon fans, and really remember every one of his traits and quotes. So when the writers changed the three knock thing to some cliche drama, they were NOT happy. Oh, and me too, I may add.

If they were hardcore they would of remembered he didn't knock three times early in season1.

Carlos, Zhalen565 and legacy99 like this

Posted

24 minutes ago, Chrismo said:

If they were hardcore they would of remembered he didn't knock three times early in season1.

Well tbf the show has changed cannon so many times regarding Sheldon's knock. I thought it was just part of his peculiar character and ways. But then to find out he does it because Daddy Dearest cheated. I thought was such a stupid decision, it is just creepy now lol. 

legacy99 and HeWolf like this

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, 1979 said:

Though they did share a passionate kiss and funny dialogue leading up to them going to the bedroom, they weren't shown in bedroom. Later Penny, Leonard and Raj are in the hallway and hear them talking "dirty" while they're doing it. The funniest part of the taping for me was watching Mayim and Jim sit fully clothed (off camera) on the couch and crack up trying to say those lines.

Thanks so much for that! Attending a taping is something really cool, isnt it? I just love to read how the viewers who had that experience felt about it! :)

Edited by spidergirl
joyceraye, bfm, Sah and 2 others like this

Posted

36 minutes ago, 3ku11 said:

But it is not neccessary. To have Sheldon. When the plot or the scene was not about him. I mean even recently this season 10.02. Penny was having issues with Bernie. And they made Penny go to Sheldon. That would of been a perfect oppurtunity for her to discuss it with her husband. But they uneccesarily forced Sheldon into the plot. Because well Sheldon needed more screen time apparently. Hijacking their wedding wasen't enough :icon_cheesygrin:. That is the problem for Lenny for me. Lack of isolated scenes, and poor communication. 10x22 seems to be a rare time where that is not apparent. I mean you thought Sheldon gone, more Lenny time, nope. 

Necessary has nothing to do with it.  Sheldon being unnecessarily intrusive as a matter of course is part of his shtick.  The show would have died at birth if it was nothing but couples having cutesy conversations about their relationships.  It's bad enough now with Shamy bedtime scenes every week.  The only reason that sort of works is because it usually has to do with Sheldon being obtuse in some amusing way.

Sah, JohnPhD, djsurrey and 1 other like this

Posted

3 minutes ago, Bigbang.daily said:

Judith-in the final scene sheldon is packing Amy's car and they talk and a key line stands out which is. When Amy is about to drive of and sheldon says don't fall in love with any other scientist I think this is going to be key for ep24

Thanks so much for that! And that's it. We are one taping from finale! These months were realy fast!

Sah, bfm, anicez and 2 others like this

Posted

6 hours ago, 5Mississippis said:

Ah, well! No fear! I'm sure the writers of The Sheldon Show will give Shamy a sweetly tender, memorable parting without any asinine clowns interrupting it.    

Seems to me Shamy has the "asinine clown" built in.

Posted

12 minutes ago, djsurrey said:

Seems to me Shamy has the "asinine clown" built in.

LOL    …and it could get worse. :shy:

s_0128.gif.6c2b7b8f38b59baf6206497d2c0c571d.gif

bfm, legacy99, Lagernisse and 4 others like this

Posted

I'm probably a minority in this, at least in part of what I'm about to say, but:

I tolerate, don't have a problem with, or laugh at some examples of: Sheldon disturbing Lenny (mostly when it's more Lenny opposite Sheldon, not Leonard and Penny opposite each other and Sheldon burging in), Sheldon child (especially with Lenny as surrogate parents), Sheldon dog, Tough Bernadette, Mrs. Wollowitz-esque Bernadette, spoiled/selfish Howard.

The thing is, to me, about context and doses. The doses of the first 2 are completely off to me. The Bernie ones I find fine and wouldn't mind even a little more of them. Howard I find perfectly fine. Sheldin dog is barely there anymore and I never found it too much when it was, IMO it was very little and I took it as light comedy and didn't feel it was too demeaning. 

Of course, there are also the ones I can't take any of, like he wore her down, won the trophy hot chick, Stuart is a complete looser (I like it much better when he is somewhat manipulative), Sheldon claiming Lenny should break up, Scientists/nerds need a miracle to find a partner, Shamy are lousy because they don't have as much sex as most couples do (hopefully we are getting rid of that!) and Penny is stupid (but this one is mostly gone and was never very present after the pilot, there were just these completely off ones like "The Proton Ressurgance").

3ku11, Mario D., hokie3457 and 1 other like this

Posted (edited)

This notion Sheldon HAS to be in Lenny scenes, does not fly with me. And I still think Neccessary is appropriate. The first three seasons alot of the big Lenny MOMENTS or milestones, were just Lenny. The famous Lenny first kiss Middle Earth Paradigm. Imagine if Sheldon interuppted? That scene set the tone and standard for the show. Painting Leonard as the heroe. So I agree Sheldon is the breakout star of the show. And it is a winning formula for casuals. I am just saying their is times wher Sheldon was in a scene when it was absurd. Their original wedding as an example. 

Edited by 3ku11

Posted

5 hours ago, Enrico Fermi said:

Necessary has nothing to do with it.  Sheldon being unnecessarily intrusive as a matter of course is part of his shtick.  The show would have died at birth if it was nothing but couples having cutesy conversations about their relationships.  It's bad enough now with Shamy bedtime scenes every week.  The only reason that sort of works is because it usually has to do with Sheldon being obtuse in some amusing way.

Sheldon was always waking up Leonard in the middle of night to say weird stuff.  So, yes, it's intrusive, and that's always been part of his schtick.  He's intrusive. Now, Amy is the target of these midnight missives.  Sheldon had no business being at the airport.  Penny is blunt enough to tell him 'No'.   Being in the wrong place at the wrong time is his 'thing'.

Posted

I wouldn't get enjoyment out of TPTB wrecking Shamy. Just because they're writing my beloved couple horribly overall doesn't mean I want the same for everyone else. The most I would do is breathe a sigh of relief because if they had Sheldon cheating on Amy it'd mean TPTB aren't specifically just crapping on Lenny, it'd mean they're just shit writers in general without any respect for their audience and it'd be very easy for me to dump the show. And for the record: I wouldn't put it past them. They've got two more years to clean up a potential mess.

On 19/04/2017 at 7:28 AM, luminous said:

2017-04-18_kaleyjohnnytapenight_.gif.0d3725123a43513f32b04230418da597.gif

That's how I picture them picking up their pay checks. That'd be me for sure. LOL.

Posted (edited)

This year I've seen the word "Transhumanism" crop up quite a lot. I'd never seen it before. I haven't gone into it, but it seems superficially to refer to something that was an ambition of Sheldon's - to transfer his consciousness and personality into a more durable and powerful container than his body and brain. He mentioned this often in the early seasons, currently not so much.

It would have made sense for the writers to jump on this "Sheldonist" trend and make it a major storyline. IMO the reason they haven't is Shamy. Not only has Amy crowded out the only female character with star quality, Penny, she's also reduced Sheldon to little more than a one half of a not-very-interesting relationship. IMO the problem is not that TBBT has become the Sheldon show, but that it's been replaced by the Shamy show, and the brilliant comic creation that was Sheldon has become just an ordinary guy who's unusually irritating.

Edited by JohnPhD
JE7, Chrismo, legacy99 and 2 others like this

Posted

11 hours ago, legacy99 said:

Your post said exactly what I've been think. Great post

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Yes  A good post   And I can add another:  When Bernadette announced her pregnancy and they all went to karaoke, the last scene when P&L were talking about maybe having a baby one day.  That should have been a tender intimate moment for them but the camera switched to a drunk Sheldon with design on his face.  I thought this scene deserved a kiss as well.

legacy99, joyceraye and Tonstar17 like this

Posted

11 hours ago, Chrismo said:

First of all they should be in the background more than once awhile. They could have Lenny decorate Sheldon's room, go dancing, go to a football, spend a day in bed. Just because Shamy has a lot in common doesn't necessarily make them interesting to watch.

Also, maybe they can visit her parents in Nebraska, or have them attend Leonard's high school or college reunion, or have Penny win a sales award and give an acceptance speech. These storylines are certainly feasible.

Tonstar17, bfm, JE7 and 3 others like this