Tripper

[Spoilers] Non-Season 10 Show Discussion

365 posts in this topic

Posted

1 hour ago, Anita said:

I don't remember the episode well but both of them were drinking wine right? Why are we assuming raj was sober and making rational choices? Just because he remembers and she doesn't? Yo can be drunk and and not blackout . At the time the episode aired my impression was two friends making the wrong choice in a drunken state.  

We aren't assuming Raj was sober, it would be a case of who was less impaired.      In cases where both are impaired, California law requires an investigation, and tries to determine who was more impaired and when.  In this case while it is probably both were impaired, under California law, Raj was the least impaired (based on blackouts not happening until the BAC was over 0.20.  Since Penny blacked out, and Raj didn't.  She was over 0.20 and he wasn't) and more than likely would have been held responsible.  Whether that is right, or wrong or whatever is beside the point.  I was just pointing out what the actual legalities were.  Now the fact that neither reported it, guaranteed there wouldn't be an investigation.  

JE7 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

Uniform Code of Military Justice:  "Penetration, however slight, is sufficient to complete the offense."

Carry on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Cloud Strife said:

Exactly. Why people are blaming Raj for all this is beyond me. It was obviously a mutual thing.

Disagreed.

I'm not sure we can says it's an obviously mutual or not. Either case IMO can't be proven. 

As least to me you would have to go by what was said:

Penny- while still in the living room in 4.24 she told him she screwed up breaking up with Leonard. When she woke up in bed, and this is open up to interpretation, she realized that she was Leonard's bed and was sort of smiling. That looked changed when she saw Raj next to her. Penny told Raj not to tell anyone what had happened. Again my interpretation is she was embarrassed what happened. This seemed to be confirmed in 5.01 when Penny told Raj him at Amy's apartment sleeping together was a mistake. Later in 4a she apologized to the guys.

Raj- the only thing in 4.24 that was open to interpretation is if after Penny confession that she shouldn't broken up with Leonard did Raj know Priya was going back to India . JMO  it make him look worse if he knew but certainly he still  doesn't look good. In 5.01 he tells the guys basically that Penny and him are a couple. A bit of a stretch IMO since he knows she was drunk. Then he asks her out on a date which she turns saying she just wants to be friends with him. At the end in 4a Raj says it was a mutual decision to end their romance. Obviously by what was seen earlier that wasn't true.

Getting back to if what happened (or didn't happen) it just seems that Raj wanted this to happen more than Penny. There's more evidence it wasnt a mutual thing but again there is no proof that we actually saw either way.

Edited by Chrismo
JE7 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Tensor said:

based on blackouts not happening until the BAC was over 0.20.  Since Penny blacked out, and Raj didn't.  She was over 0.20 and he wasn't

I seem to recall reading someplace that blackouts occur because of the rate of change in BAC rather than the level.

Quote

A rapid increase in blood alcohol concentration (BAC) is most consistently associated with the likelihood of a blackout. However, not all subjects experience blackouts, implying that genetic factors play a role in determining CNS vulnerability to the effects of alcohol.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2800062/

 

Edited by djsurrey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

24 minutes ago, djsurrey said:

I seem to recall reading someplace that blackouts occur because of the rate of change in BAC rather than the level.

A rapid increase in blood alcohol concentration (BAC) is most consistently associated with the likelihood of a blackout. However, not all subjects experience blackouts, implying that genetic factors play a role in determining CNS vulnerability to the effects of alcohol.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2800062/

According to the body of the article you linked, it's not just how rapidly, but how much.  Also, this article also suggest a greater amount, with rapid ingesting making blackouts more likely.   You could consume two shots back to back, but if that's all you drink, the chances of a blackout aren't all that likely.   It appears  a rapid increase, either to over 0.20 or after already over  0.20 are requirements for blackout.  

From some of the other papers, it appears that Blackouts are symtomatic of early alcoholism.  Considering how they started implying Penny was drinking heavily during season four, she could have been in the early stages, thus making it more likely she would have blackouts.   

legacy99 and JE7 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Funny thing, in "The Creepy Candy Coating" Penny says that when she was a kid she and her friend made a pact to marry Bert and Ernie but it didn't work because they both wanted Ernie. In "The Spoiler Alert Segmentation" she says Sheldon and Leonard are like Bert and Ernie, and it is pretty clear who is Ernie in this comparison. So Penny did end up getting her Ernie :icon_biggrin:

 

 

(Things you notice when you're somewhat sick...)

Edited by bfm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

40 minutes ago, bfm said:

Funny thing, in "The Creepy Candy Coating" Penny says that when she was a kid she and her friend made a pact to marry Bert and Ernie but it didn't work because they both wanted Ernie. In "The Spoiler Alert Segmentation" she says Sheldon and Leonard are like Bert and Ernie, and it is pretty clear who is Ernie in this comparison. So Penny did end up getting her Ernie :icon_biggrin:

 

 

(Things you notice when you're somewhat sick...)

There's no need to guess, she specifically called Leonard "Ernie".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

54 minutes ago, Cloud Strife said:

There's no need to guess, she specifically called Leonard "Ernie".

Thanks for the reminder :) I have a good memory but it is not eidetic haha I watched "The Spoiler Alert Segmentation" a few weeks ago. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

Saw an article on the BBC this morning that said there could be another Writers Strike on the horizon, with shows affected including this one potentially:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-39513623

Don't know much detail about it or how badly show's were affected the last time there was one. I guess it depends on how long it drags out should a strike happen? Presumably delays in between seasons could occur if any part of the creative process is delayed?

amethyst, joyceraye, mirs1 and 2 others like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

1 hour ago, Jonny said:

Saw an article on the BBC this morning that said there could be another Writers Strike on the horizon, with shows affected including this one potentially:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-39513623

Don't know much detail about it or how badly show's were affected the last time there was one. I guess it depends on how long it drags out should a strike happen? Presumably delays in between seasons could occur if any part of the creative process is delayed?

It has the possibility to be both better and worse than last time.  The last writers strike was in the middle of the season(that's why the show only has 17 episodes the first season).  This time, the strike, if there is one, would come after the season is over. If the strike runs for a while, it has the possibility to interfere with the beginning of next year. 

It could be worse, because the two sides seem to be dug, on what the want, so that could mean a longer strike.

In some ways, the strike helped the show last time.  The first eight episodes were reran several times, giving more people a chance to see it. Also, half hour multi cam comedies were able to start production faster, due to the way they are taped, which meant they were among the first shows to get new content on the screen. 

mirs1, Jonny, amethyst and 4 others like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

40 minutes ago, Tensor said:

It has the possibility to be both better and worse than last time.  The last writers strike was in the middle of the season(that's why the show only has 17 episodes the first season).  This time, the strike, if there is one, would come after the season is over. If the strike runs for a while, it has the possibility to interfere with the beginning of next year. 

It could be worse, because the two sides seem to be dug, on what the want, so that could mean a longer strike.

In some ways, the strike helped the show last time.  The first eight episodes were reran several times, giving more people a chance to see it. Also, half hour multi cam comedies were able to start production faster, due to the way they are taped, which meant they were among the first shows to get new content on the screen. 

As ever thanks for the insight on matters like this Tensor! :)

This news/potential developments makes me want there to be no major cliffhangers in the season finale even more! Imagine if there is something major and the Season 11 start gets delayed! We will already be going mad wanting to know the outcome of anything with the already exisiting hiatus time-frame lol

bfm, joyceraye, April and 2 others like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

An earlier strike than last time's resulted in the sale of British scripts to American companies. The funny thing was, some of them were sold back to British channels when broadcasting hours increased. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

Couldn't they get replacements writers? There's people on this thread IMO that could write better than TBBT's.

bfm likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

4 hours ago, Jonny said:

Saw an article on the BBC this morning that said there could be another Writers Strike on the horizon, with shows affected including this one potentially:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-39513623

Don't know much detail about it or how badly show's were affected the last time there was one. I guess it depends on how long it drags out should a strike happen? Presumably delays in between seasons could occur if any part of the creative process is delayed?

I just hope the writers don't get so disgruntled they write unfortunate scripts. Who remembers Fallon Carrington going up in a flying saucer ?

Jonny likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now