Tripper

episodes
1014 'The Emotion Detection Automation' (February 2)

69 posts in this topic

Posted

'The Emotion Detection Automation' - Season 10, Episode 14 
Airs Thursday, February 2 at 8/7c on CBS.

Sheldon beta-tests an MIT invention after hearing it can help him read people's emotions. Also, Leonard can't hide his feelings when Penny announces her brother is coming to town, and Raj invites his ex-girlfriends over to give him dating advice.

3ku11 and spidergirl like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

I've said it before that I am easily entertained.

I liked the episode. I enjoyed the Shamy parts, they are so natural together(I like their bedroom) and found Raj and Howard hilarious.

amethyst, mirs1, joyceraye and 1 other like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Just watched and it was a good episode...Shamy were great and I loved the Howard/Raj interactions. Actually Howard was the only reason I didn't fastforward through the yawnfest that was Raj and the girls. Tptb should just off him and give his airtime to Lenny, it would do them some good...if they're not fighting during it, that is. I found Lenny annoying in this episode. The fighting was just obnoxious.

*Forgot to add that the scenes with the gang were great. They almost felt like a family.

Edited by Judith
joyceraye, Jonny and Jedichic98 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

The girls were a little hard on Raj, especially Lucy and Emily.  It was hurtful that they all told Raj that dating him was beneficial for them because they found good relationships afterwards, very sad.  I didn't care for the Lenny fight, I didn't think it was funny at all, but it didn't seem really serious either, just a husband and wife having a difference in positions.  I didn't find the Shamy emotion plot funny at all, the scene with them on the bed was cute but the whole emotion detector felt flat to me.  I found the episode just okay.

joyceraye likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

After that hopefully only 10 left. Easily the worst episode of the year. The Lenny storyline was pointless. Just a set up for an equally pointless Sheldon emotion detector. Sheldon boo hooing  on the bed  has gotten old. The Raj storyline had a couple of laughs, espicially the suggestion of Raj/Howard being homosexuals. Bit then turned weird when the suggestion that their both available in 30 years they should get together. Then the predictable Raj wanting Bernadette in that scenerio.

JE7, legacy99, veejay and 6 others like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Hmm, maybe my humor run out during this season. I´ve just watched and had no single laugh, don´t mention a smile. I really have troubles with most of the storylines. I get Shamy. They are heading to a marriage. Their relationship is definitely developing into maturity and to care for eachother. Raj is the whole season a questionmark. Maybe this episode opens the path to reveal he is gay or whatever. Lenny? I don´t know what´s going on. There is a fight, with the context of Penny's brother staying or not. Than it turns out that Leonard turning the old room of Sheldon into a gaming room without communicating with Penny. Wow, did they ever talk before marriage? I get it that when couples are married have to overcome certain things. I had to with my wife. But c´mon learning to talk about a gaming room, and a brother helping out are the stuff to fight after 5 years of a relationship and almost 2 years marriage? I don´t get it. Especially that we don´t see how they or if they have resolved it. Sure it looks like at the tag, but did we see how it went?- So the storylines for Lenny are loose ends. Is there a growth to find, like the Shamy? To me it´s going downhill, the RA is thrown away. Man I get annoyed how the writers write them. And it´s this time not my mood. I am feeling actually good with a clear mind. 

34 minutes ago, Chrismo said:

After that hopefully only 10 left. Easily the worst episode of the year. The Lenny storyline was pointless. Just a set up for an equally pointless Sheldon emotion detector. Sheldon boo hooing  on the bed  has gotten old. The Raj storyline had a couple of laughs, espicially the suggestion of Raj/Howard being homosexuals. Bit then turned weird when the suggestion that their both available in 30 years they should get together. Then the predictable Raj wanting Bernadette in that scenerio.

I completely agree with you.

Edited by john2p
veejay, legacy99, JE7 and 3 others like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

 cool seeing Sheldon use the emotion detector. finally some real science in an episode , including Amy's comment about Bernadette's ability to detect emotions . that MIT prototype uses heart rate and breathing , not images. pretty cool seeing Howard test it out with  Amy and Sheldon in Caltech. great Shamy scene in the bedroom, quite heartfelt and funny.

I wonder if TBBT will do a 30 years from now flash forward and Howard/Raj are together ? Raj would rather make a dig about Howard's wife though. UGH. Raj's ex-girlfriends have all moved on to new relationships. I can see why. Doesn't look like Claire, Emily S, deaf Emily and Lucy want Raj back,  When Lucy starts saying something nice about Raj, he jumps with "i'll go out with you" , his desperation has got to go.ugh.

Lenny were the worst part of the episode, and their fight was cliche and predictable. poor communication and lack of emotional honesty  mostly, YAWN.

Edited by serena_1995
Jonny, joyceraye, wowbagger and 1 other like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

18 minutes ago, serena_1995 said:

 cool seeing Sheldon use the emotion detector. finally some real science in an episode , including Amy's comment about Bernadette's ability to detect emotions . that MIT prototype uses heart rate and breathing , not images. pretty cool seeing Howard test it out with  Amy and Sheldon in Caltech. great Shamy scene in the bedroom, quite heartfelt and funny.

I wonder if TBBT will do a 30 years from now flash forward and Howard/Raj are together ? Raj would rather make a dig about Howard's wife though. UGH. Raj's ex-girlfriends have all moved on to new relationships. I can see why. Doesn't look like Claire, Emily S, deaf Emily and Lucy want Raj back, but I thought it was the funniest part of the episode, especially Howard's reactions . When Lucy starts saying something nice about Raj, he jumps with "i'll go out with you" , his desperation has got to go.ugh.

Lenny were the worst part of the episode, and their fight was cliche and predictable. poor communication and lack of emotional honesty  mostly, YAWN.

Yeah caused by Sheldon. Then they actually made them go and apologize to Sheldon, for starting a fight between them.  They would of discussed it in a better way. Yet Sheldon instigated it. Then expected the audience to feel sorry for him, because he cannot recognize emotions. I mean please. 

JE7, legacy99, joyceraye and 1 other like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

So there's not going to be an exciting incident to flash back to where Emily S and Claire found out about the two-timing. It was Raj who dumped Emily S first. Odd she didn't mention that. If he's going to get back with one of them my choice would be Emily S, then Lucy. If he's going to be alone it's because under his superficial cutie-pieness he's as unaware of his attitude to other people as Sheldon's ever been, or even less.

JohnPhD likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

1 minute ago, 3ku11 said:

Yeah caused by Sheldon. Then they actually made them go and apologize to Sheldon, for starting a fight between them.  They would of discussed it in a better way. Yet Sheldon instigated it. Then expected the audience to feel sorry for him, because he cannot recognize emotions. I mean please. 

I think the idea was to have Lenny the worst part of the episode to make Sheldon/Shamy look good. The best part was at the end when Bernadette pointed out Sheldon still thinks he's better than everyone. 

JE7, Carlos, john2p and 3 others like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Ehhh. Better then last week. Nothing laugh out loud funny, just average. The whole episode, particualrly the Lenny plot. Just seemed a set up for Sheldon premise, with his emotional detector thing. Then a scene where its boo hoo Sheldon, while Amy the lapdog consoles him LOL. The whole episode was seen from Sheldon's point of view.

I did like the Raj/Howard plot. Claire was basically the biggest part of that, she is sexy :D. But this was a long time coming I Don't think the show was too harsh at all. I Thought they weren't harsh enough. Raj has been a douche most of the series run. So this was Karma in a way. Raj is pathetic though. It took dating him, to change their lifes lol. I mean honestly. 

Their is something off about Penny for me atm. I mean she wasen't mean to Leonard. And it was not her words. But her entire demeanour and presence is very snarky. Almost like she is restricted some what, she feels cold and distant to me. Just a vibe, maybe its just me. She's also still very immature. I mean Sheldon showed more maturity in this episode then she did. The fight between them wasen't that serious. Just typical married stuff. But I am a big Penny fan, but what Penny said "I don't need your permission". Yes you do Penny.

Obviousley they were going for a Guitar Amplification 2.0. Clearly they have run out of ideas. But this is not 2009. You can't go around making decisions as an independant. Like getting your former druggie brother a job at a Drug Rep company. And let him stay at your place. Without consulting your husband first. Your not an independant anymore. Leonard is right that needs to be discussed properly.

My fav part of the episode was prob the guys at the comic book store. I Think the show needs to take a break from the relatonship plots. And just get back to basics. Not the worst episode of the season. That was Last episodes. But it is not one I would want to watch again. Season Ten has gradually declined in the latter half of the year. Might be best that Season Ten is the last. 

Edited by 3ku11
JE7 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

22 minutes ago, 3ku11 said:

Yeah caused by Sheldon. Then they actually made them go and apologize to Sheldon, for starting a fight between them.  They would of discussed it in a better way. Yet Sheldon instigated it. Then expected the audience to feel sorry for him, because he cannot recognize emotions. I mean please. 

Sheldon didn't do anything. With the help of his device, he told it like it is. Leonard WAS mad about Penny inviting her brother, wasn't he ?

Sheldon did not start the fight. He did not end the fight either. He was an observer , just like Amy was.

Did Sheldon force Penny to invite her brother to 4A ? Did Sheldon ask Penny to give her brother a job ? No. It was Penny's own fault for being dishonest and Leonard was wrong to hide his true feelings from Penny. If anything, the device cleared up the poor communication between them , because the device was pointing out the truth- that Leonard was pretending to be fine, and in turn, being dishonest with Penny.

Edited by serena_1995

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

5 minutes ago, serena_1995 said:

Sheldon didn't do anything. With the help of his device, he told it like it is. Leonard WAS mad about Penny inviting her brother, wasn't he ?

Sheldon did not start the fight. He did not end the fight either. He was an observer , just like Amy was.

Did Sheldon force Penny to invite her brother to 4A ? Did Sheldon ask Penny to give her brother a job ? No. It was Penny's own fault for being dishonest and Leonard was wrong to hide his true feelings from Penny. If anything, the device cleared up the poor communication between them , because the device was pointing out the truth- that Leonard was pretending to be fine, and in turn, being dishonest with Penny.

Hiding feelings isn't wrong or dishonest. It's often the kindest and most appropriate thing to do. Sheldon will have a hard time getting his head round that one when the time comes.

 

veejay, 3ku11, Carlos and 5 others like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

2 minutes ago, serena_1995 said:

Sheldon didn't do anything. With the help of his device, he told it like it is. Leonard WAS mad about Penny inviting her brother, wasn't he ?

Sheldon did not start the fight. He did not end the fight either. He was an observer , just like Amy was.

Did Sheldon force Penny to invite her brother to 4A ? Did Sheldon ask Penny to give her brother a job ? No. It was Penny's own fault for being dishonest and Leonard was wrong to hide his true feelings from Penny. If anything, Sheldon cleared up the poor communication between them , because his device was pointing out the truth- that Leonard was pretending to be fine, and in turn, being dishonest with Penny.

But Sheldon needed something to observe. So that's where Lenny came in. What you say is true but as the tag showed everything miraculously was resolved with Lenny.  He didn't cause the " fight" but if there wasn't one there would be no point in Sheldon having an emotion detector.

john2p, veejay, 3ku11 and 2 others like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

Good the writers need a kick up the backside. Pick up your game. Beleive it or not they are better then this. 

JohnPhD, JE7 and 5Mississippis like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

36 minutes ago, Chrismo said:

The review from Vulture really ripped on the entire episode

"Time to go into the System Preferences folder again." LOL

JE7 and 3ku11 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

5 minutes ago, 3ku11 said:

Good the writers need a kick up the backside. Pick up your game. Beleive it or not they are better then this. 

Kimberly Potts in the Vulture article ripped on everything. You would of thought a Lenny fan wrote it.

3ku11 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

This episode was a prime example of everything I hate about this season.

First of all, if you have a Lenny fight, get your facts straight cause last time I checked it was Penny who suggested that Sheldon live with them, Leonard didn’t make her. But God forbid that Queen Penny is the bad guy for once, huh? 

I’m wondering if Leonard can do anything right in Penny’s eyes. He lives there too and if someone - no matter who it is - is gonna stay with them potentially for a long time it’s basic courtesy to at least discuss it with him. But hey, Penny made Leonard live with Sheldon indefinitely so I guess she doesn’t feel that’s important to discuss in general. And then of course she threw him under the bus while explaining it to her dad. Could’ve said “It’s not a good time for us” but no, “It’s all Leonard’s fault, daddy!” Grow the hell up, Penny.

And naturally the whole point of this fight was to cater to Sheldon’s story and his character growth. It wasn’t about Leonard and Penny at all cause if it had been, we would’ve seen them talk and make up. But since they’ve become an afterthought on the Sheldon Show I expected no less. It was much more important to have them apologize to Sheldon than to each other.

The only good part about this episode was Shamy’s talk in the bedroom. Not surprising because that’s where the writers put all their energy these days.

Is this show over yet?

Edited by No Regrets
5Mississippis, JE7, Carlos and 6 others like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

Just now, Chrismo said:

Kimberly Potts in the Vulture article ripped on everything. You would of thought a Lenny fan wrote it.

Well a Lenny fan is definitely not writing this show ATM lol. More a Sheldon fan.

Just now, No Regrets said:

This episode was a prime example of everything I hate about this season.

First of all, if you have a Lenny fight, get your facts straight cause last time I checked it was Penny who suggested that Sheldon live with them, Leonard didn’t make her. But God forbid that Queen Penny is the bad guy for once, huh? 

I’m wondering if Leonard can do anything right in Penny’s eyes. He lives there too and if someone - no matter who it is - is gonna stay with them potentially for a long time it’s basic courtesy to at least discuss it with him. But hey, Penny made Leonard live with Sheldon indefinitely so I guess she doesn’t feel that’s important to discuss in general. And then of course she threw him under the bus while explaining it to her dad. Could’ve said “It’s not a good time for us” but no, “It’s all Leonard’s fault, daddy!” Grow the hell up, Penny.

And naturally the whole point of this fight was to cater to Sheldon’s story and his character growth. It wasn’t about Leonard and Penny at all cause if it had been, we would’ve seen them talk and make up. But since they’ve become an afterthought in the Sheldon Show I expected no less. 

The only good part about this episode was Shamy’s talk in the bedroom. Not surprising because that’s where the writers put all their energy these days.

Is this show over yet?

As a Big Penny fan. I can't defend her this time. That girl needs to grow the heck up. 

JE7, veejay and bfm like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

3 minutes ago, No Regrets said:

This episode was a prime example of everything I hate about this season.

First of all, if you have a Lenny fight, get your facts straight cause last time I checked it was Penny who suggested that Sheldon live with them, Leonard didn’t make her. But God forbid that Queen Penny is the bad guy for once, huh? 

I’m wondering if Leonard can do anything right in Penny’s eyes. He lives there too and if someone - no matter who it is - is gonna stay with them potentially for a long time it’s basic courtesy to at least discuss it with him. But hey, Penny made Leonard live with Sheldon indefinitely so I guess she doesn’t feel that’s important to discuss in general. And then of course she threw him under the bus while explaining it to her dad. Could’ve said “It’s not a good time for us” but no, “It’s all Leonard’s fault, daddy!” Grow the hell up, Penny.

And naturally the whole point of this fight was to cater to Sheldon’s story and his character growth. It wasn’t about Leonard and Penny at all cause if it had been, we would’ve seen them talk and make up. But since they’ve become an afterthought in the Sheldon Show I expected no less. 

The only good part about this episode was Shamy’s talk in the bedroom. Not surprising because that’s where the writers put all their energy these days.

Is this show over yet?

Realistically the Lenny disagreement could have been done in a minute. Penny telling Leonard about her brother coming over and Leonard saying no. As to the throwing Leonard under the bus Penny father loves Leonard. He would of taken Leonard side. As to the show being over. It's not over till the fat lady sings. But I believe she is starting to warm up. 

Carlos and legacy99 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

-"She said she didn't want to see me anymore and I found that insulting".

-"Not every member of the species finds a mate". That seems more and more true for Raj the closer we get to a series finale.

-Yes I'm sure they specifically built this machine because they were bad at social skills. Har har nerd stereotypes.

-Focus group. Finally, TBBT is trying to include people Raj dated. If we're going to see Raj miserable, we should at least see his goddamn break-ups on screen. Still pissed that for over half a season everything has been offscreen. I don't care if the board doesn't like seeing Raj, he's a member of the four and I'd prefer to see his journey be on equal pacing even when it has errors.

-No Sheldon, jokes are better when you end them with bazinga. Yeesh, his memory's spotty.

-Is Randall going to start living with Lenny? Lmfao the word Pharmaceuticals isn't even a hard word to spell. What grade is Penny's education?

-Amy's going to have a turkey neck.

-Who knew the voice actor for Wander could inspire such hateful energy?

-They deserved that finger.

-18 minutes in and we finally see the only plot I came for.

-Howard interpreting for the deaf girl again. Isn't this a blast from the past?

-Red-headed Emily Jr. 

-After two absent seasons, my favorite of the love interests is back. Give a hand for Lucy. Who came to this gathering with her own free will so she doesn't have much she can complain about with the anxiety. Speaking of which, hopefully she's taken a few small steps with that. Seeing as how this room has almost the same amount of people as how many she would've met if she had come seen the gang in the Season 6 finale.

-"For reasons I'm sure have something to do with my father".

-"So dominated by your parents". As in his parents had all the money and decided how much the gold digger could get! :D

-The Raj/Lucy reunion has been killed :( I'm guessing Lucy's new man just never has her around other people? Hopefully the new guy is challenging her to grow in a non-Raj type method.

-There is not one single Gary spelled with two r's. 

-"Little before actually". Now they're implying Claire was cheating and mingling around at the same time of the Raj fling? I guess that explains why Raj's infidelity was something they were so passive about.

-Ew, I don't like to hear that Season 5 Emily found someone as rich as Bruce Wayne. I want to hear she's living in a cardboard box.

-Howard and Bernadette were already married and most of the Raj/Howard gay jokes were in early seasons, so I have no idea why Emily Sweeney is the one saying she's surprised Howard/Raj didn't happen. Almost like the writers are just having the bland Emily/Claire pair say whatever pops into their heads. Lucy still feels like the only partner of Raj with her own personality and problems.

-SHELDON IS AN EMOTION MACHINE. But of course Penny resorts to the usual option that makes Leonard suffer. Haha, what's compromising?

-"Let's not wait so long for another bizarre awkward night". 

-"I don't care if they get fat". 

-Chip crunching. Ha, pun.

-If Season 10 is the last, this is sounding like the Raj/Howard gay send-off. I expect a flash forward in the finale showing they got together after Bernadette died. 

-Tag was lame. Promo for next week was lame. Someone should find a scientific way to knock Sheldon up like a seahorse.

Chrismo likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

 

1 hour ago, Shelldon said:

-There is not one single Gary spelled with two r's.

Garry Shandling

Garry Kasperov

Garry Newman

Garry Marshall.

I can continue...

 

 

Kathy2611, JE7 and Lady in Red like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

1 hour ago, Tensor said:

 

Garry Shandling

Garry Kasperov

Garry Newman

Garry Marshall.

I can continue...

 

 

There is not one single relevant Gary spelled with two r's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now