Tripper

Episodes
1015 'The Locomotion Reverberation' (February 9)

100 posts in this topic

Posted

6 hours ago, Stephen Hawking said:

I know we didn't see them take the trip, but didn't Sheldon buy them a trip as a wedding gift?

Bernadette wasn't talking about a beer or glass of wine, but rather about getting drunk.

Yes, Sheldon bought them a trip to San Francisco, but the writers hasn't done anything with that story so in my opinion Lenny haven't gone on that trip. 

Tonstar17 likes this

Posted

Of course they've gone on that trip.  It was a good time for them, so naturally, TPTB had it happen off screen.  Can't have Lenny looking happy on screen for more than a few seconds.

Although I'm surprised they didn't, it would be a good opportunity for TPTB to make Lenny's honeymoon, all about Sheldon.  

JohnPhD, Tonstar17, bfm and 2 others like this

Posted (edited)

14 hours ago, Itwasdestined said:

No dispute on that, April. It was a lot of science talk early from everyone. For me, it was more central to the Sheldon character than the others. For me in Leonard's case it was only used to highlight the differences between him and Penny. For Sheldon it was his whole shtick. I only started watching in Season 5 but quickly binged earlier shows and it was that Sheldon I loved.

My original point that spurred your replies on this was a simple personal observation/feeling that Sheldon, a character I continue to love, has had his dialogue dumbed down a bit and for me it takes away from the character. Poodles and Taylor Swift and Kardashian awareness is not as interesting for me as his earlier persona. The changes in dialogue may have been necessary for him to become more socially normal in our society but it irks me. I also think the greater screen time magnifies it - I felt the manual reading obsession with Amy was overplayed. His earlier ramblings were interspersed with retorts from all the guys and Penny. And later Amy and Bernie. This was just a lot of talk from him and looks and one liners from Amy. You may see it differently which is fine but I feel what I feel.

Well, obviously I can't tell you how to feel about this. I just have a different take on it cause I can't help but contextualise the changes with the rest of the show. And in that context I don't feel Sheldon is singled out but that it's just a side effect of the whole group of friends being pulled out of their bubble that started with Penny moving in across the hall. Sure, Sheldon was the one who resisted the most but that only gets him so far as a character. He doesn't exist in a vacuum, he's affected by the general direction of the show just as anybody else.

With that said, I'm also not a fan of Kardashian jokes and the like - and I can mostly let it slide cause it was for just one scene when Sheldon was still living with Penny. I appreciate it a lot more that the moment he moved in with Amy the writers highlighted their intellectual compatibility again. Gone were scenes where he had to navigate Penny's meaningless celebrity gossip and instead he has gotten into science arguments, philosophical debates and experiments again.

Bottom line is that to keep Sheldon more intellectually minded you need to have him play off of someone in that way. They mostly succeed in that with Amy as per the examples above but she can't carry that on her own. When the whole group is more interested in their private lives than science and geeky stuff it's getting more and more difficult to have Sheldon be the only character still proudly holding up that flag. What I would wish for the show is to induce all the characters (maybe minus Penny) with more science related talk again to make these kind of scenarios more organic. I like it when all the characters engage in fun geeky and science related activities - I don't want Sheldon to end up like "The Last Samurai Nerd" standing on a battlefield overrun by every day trivialities.

Edited by April

Posted

Of course they've gone on that trip.  It was a good time for them, so naturally, TPTB had it happen off screen.  Can't have Lenny looking happy on screen for more than a few seconds.
 Although I'm surprised they didn't, it would be a good opportunity for TPTB to make Lenny's honeymoon, all about Sheldon.  

Good thing they didn't show it then. They probably knew they couldn't get away with inserting sheldon in Lennys honeymoon, so didn't bother with a follow through.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

JE7, agt_1, legacy99 and 1 other like this

Posted

30 minutes ago, Tensor said:

Yeah we can't have happy Lenny on screen too much, it is much more fun with a fighting and drama Lenny. TPTB clearly thinks that there is enough with one happy couple.  

legacy99, Tonstar17, JE7 and 1 other like this

Posted

1 hour ago, Stephen Hawking said:

Can we please have a scene, with Sheldon having a raunchy daydream about Amy.

They would have to infect him with alien parasites first.

JE7 and legacy99 like this

Posted

47 minutes ago, djsurrey said:

They would have to infect him with alien parasites first.

I just want to see Amy doing something incredibly erotic and seductive. :maninlove: 

Posted

10 minutes ago, Stephen Hawking said:

I just want to see Amy doing something incredibly erotic and seductive. :maninlove: 

Reading that reminds me of....

Posted

3 hours ago, Stephen Hawking said:

Amy would have to be sexy or in character that way in kind. That's not who she is.

JohnPhD and legacy99 like this

Posted

4 hours ago, Stephen Hawking said:

I do want to see a Sheldon fantasy, but what about Amy playing Doctor Star Trek style, Amy in the Catholic schoolgirl outfit, Amy baking the penis cookies, or Amy in the Harry Potter robe?

Posted

20 hours ago, 3ku11 said:

Amy would have to be sexy or in character that way in kind. That's not who she is.

But this would be a Sheldon daydream, so Amy could be anything he imagines her to be.

Amy doesn't  need to be in character, in Sheldon's daydream.

Jedichic98 likes this

Posted

Good bit of publicity for them lol

serena_1995 likes this

Posted

Aww, that video is adorable!

"Leonard, you paid way too much - give me a call!" LMAO

Jonny and JE7 like this

Posted

On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 6:39 AM, wowbagger said:

the infantilisation isn't about the trains. I meant specifically this whole 'let's ship him off to get him out of the way' and to a degree even his burbling excitedly to a bored amy who doesn't want to drive him places. Which gave me a definite 'bored mommy' vibe. Now, to be clear: Nobody is saying amy has to be killed with excitement about trains, or that Sheldon should have outgrown trains. At least I am not. But I feel like THE SHOW is presenting it as some sort of pursuit that can be used as something shiny to get him out of the grownups' hair (of course the grownups come crawling back!). I don't know, it seemed off to me.

It also seemed "off" that Amy apparently knew about Leonard's gift by her under-breath surprise that he finally used it.   Sheldon has done a lot more annoying childish things that deserved being cast out as a child.   That Leonard felt this was the time to redeem several thousand dollars of a Sheldon-free pass because he came up with a great idea just seemed....well, I don't know what to say.    It just didn't fit with the situation.

JE7, serena_1995 and wowbagger like this

Posted

11 minutes ago, jenafan said:

It also seemed "off" that Amy apparently knew about Leonard's gift by her under-breath surprise that he finally used it.   Sheldon has done a lot more annoying childish things that deserved being cast out as a child.   That Leonard felt this was the time to redeem several thousand dollars of a Sheldon-free pass because he came up with a great idea just seemed....well, I don't know what to say.    It just didn't fit with the situation.

Not really it fit the story. They were trying to get rid if Sheldon. So I thought it made sense 

Posted (edited)

16 minutes ago, 3ku11 said:

Not really it fit the story. They were trying to get rid if Sheldon. So I thought it made sense 

Sending him out to pee several times, yes.   A ticket that cost Leonard maybe a month's net salary (I don't know how much a physicist makes), seemed a bit much. 

On a side note, what I appreciated about the episode was they kept Sheldon's eidetic memory in tact.   Rather than having forgotten the name of the girl in the cafeteria, he just simply didn't know it.

Edited by jenafan
JE7 likes this

Posted

7 hours ago, jenafan said:

It wasn't because of the new idea by itself, it was because of his whole behavior while working om the system, which was almost entirely off-screen, preceding the scene. Sheldon is awful to work with, remember the application they wanted to develop? I think they choose to leave his most annoying behaviors mostly off-screen in order to not make the audience hate him, so we need to deduce how bad he can be by others' reactions to him and by some comments about past incidents.

JE7 likes this

Posted

Isn't that a diagram, of the four cycles of a petrol (gasoline to you Americans) engine, on the whiteboard in 4B?

Posted

Sometimes I feel I have a sort of mystical connection with the writers. When I think the show couldn't get any worse, they seem to sense my thought and rise to the challenge - it does get worse.

I thought this ep would have been better if all the Shamy scenes had been cut out and replaced with Lenny or Penny-centered scenes, but do they have any writers who can even write Lenny any more?

Raj and  Stuart and the milk seemed to flounder. I wonder if they originally wrote something more extreme and fetishistic ( IC for R &S) but it was deemed to creepy to show, so what we saw is the wreckage after the creepy stuff was cut out.

The Charlie Brown joke was pretty funny, tho.

JE7 likes this

Posted

19 minutes ago, JohnPhD said:

I thought this ep would have been better if all the Shamy scenes had been cut out and replaced with Lenny or Penny-centered scenes

I quite liked the scene, where Sheldon is telling Amy about all the things he can do on the trains.

I loved the way she asks him, in an exasperated way, "Can I pee now?", and how she drags the covers over her head, when he tells her it's time to get up.

Posted

On 2017/3/17 at 10:31 PM, Stephen Hawking said:

Sheldon broke the no insults clause, of the contract.

finally I find out what you meant. I remember in 10.13 The Romance Recalibration,tag scene,when I wonder Amy's thoughts on signing the RA, because of the "no nostalgia" clause,all were gone. By comparison,in 10.18 The Escape Hatch Identification,Amy talked about sheldon first saying ILY to her,sheldon broke the clause and corrected her.

Posted

I was referring to the comments he made, about being a real engineer, not the sort Howard is.

According to the contract they all signed, for the guidance system, Sheldon cannot make derogatory comments about engineering.