luminous

Renewal Thread

83 posts in this topic

Posted

Even if they still have more than enough money left it's still a roundabout 10% cut of their paychecks to support their colleagues and ensure the show's continuation. That's a wonderful gesture and shows the goodwill and camaraderie going on behind the scenes. (Unlike, say, a certain other show that's in renewal talks but involves lawsuits... yikes!)

Anyway, that explains why there hasn't been a proper S11/12 announcement, yet. Hopefully things will settle soon!

snapepans, bfm, mirs1 and 6 others like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Fascinating. Lovely of the original five to take a paycut (or to commute their payment in some way) to make sure the deal went through. But I am amazed and even slightly annoyed that it had to come to that. Holy shit WB were really digging their heels in on this one. Interesting - I would have thought that the balance of power would actually be with the cast rather than the producers. Huh.

Edited by wowbagger
deleted repeated post
snapepans, joyceraye and hokie3457 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, wowbagger said:

Fascinating. Lovely of the original five to take a paycut (or to commute their payment in some way) to make sure the deal went through. But I am amazed and even slightly annoyed that it had to come to that. Holy shit WB were really digging their heels in on this one. Interesting - I would have thought that the balance of power would actually be with the cast rather than the producers. Huh.

Apparently, there aren't any more the favorable conditions for having the same kinds of deals the big three (and to a lesser extent Kunal and Simon) got in S. 8. The article in Variety explains that somehow for WB it's not as convenient as it was in the past to renew the show, so apparently the only way for Mayim and Melissa to get decent pay raises was for the others  to do that generous gesture, for which they have all my respect. I think the sad part is that, had Melissa and Mayim negotiated their own contracts in S. 8 when the other did and not well before them (obviously I think they did that because their contracts were expiring), probably they could have gotten a better deal for themselves, at least by comparison with what the other got.

Edited by mirs1
Jonny, spidergirl and joyceraye like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

 

4 hours ago, wowbagger said:

Fascinating. Lovely of the original five to take a paycut (or to commute their payment in some way) to make sure the deal went through. But I am amazed and even slightly annoyed that it had to come to that. Holy shit WB were really digging their heels in on this one. Interesting - I would have thought that the balance of power would actually be with the cast rather than the producers. Huh.

At this stage of the game, it's CBS that is paying for essentially all production costs.  And they're between a rock and a hard place.   With declining ratings (Broadcast generally, I'm not speaking of TBBT alone, yet) they have declining revenue for the show.  Increases in production costs may mean they are losing money to put the show on the air.  So, trying to hold costs down may be the only way we get more seasons.   This is the usual way a long running show ends.  It simply becomes too expensive to produce vs the amount brought in because of the ratings.   The only way WB would be involved, would be if the actors are looking for a bigger cut (in the case of the first five) or for their first cut (in the case of M and M) of the back end.  That is the money that WB (or possibly Lorre's production company) controls

 

2 hours ago, mirs1 said:

Apparently, there aren't any more the favorable conditions for having the same kinds of deals the big three (and to a lesser extent Kunal and Simon) got in S. 8. The article in Variety explains that somehow for WB it's not as convenient as it was in the past to renew the show, so apparently the only way for Mayim and Melissa to get decent pay raises was for the others  to do that generous gesture, for which they have all my respect. I think the sad part is that, had Melissa and Mayim negotiated their own contracts in S. 8 when the other did and not well before them (obviously I think they did that because their contracts were expiring), probably they could have gotten a better deal for themselves, at least by comparison with what the other got.

See above for your first point.   In General, (there are specific exceptions) television contract allow for a renegotiation after the first three years.  As M and M started in season four, they were eligible to renegotiate after season six, and they did (their contracts expire at the end of season 10.  According to reports, their raises were on par with Simon and Kunal's (although admittedly less than the big three) raises after the third season.  If you give M and M much bigger raises, then you start a discussion with Simon and Kunal (or at least their agents) about why M and M got bigger raises than Simon and Kunal at the same point into their respective runs with the show.   

The complaints about how the first five got big raises, while M and M got so much less is a rather spurious argument.  The seven were never, until this year, in a position to negotiate as a group, or at least have something like some giving up some pay, so others could get a bigger raise.   This is the first time they were able to do that, and they did.  

 

amethyst, snapepans, veejay and 6 others like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

The link I had gave a little more info and went into more than I saw on the previous page here.
https://www.yahoo.com/tv/big-bang-theory-stars-mayim-bialik-melissa-rauch-010004140.html

I was especially interested in the following statement
 

Quote

But the timing for Bialik and Rauch to reach the high six-figure threshold is not as optimum as it was three years ago for Helberg and Nayyar.

The show has grossed over $1 billion in syndication for Warner Bros. Because of the way the cable and broadcast syndication deals are structured for long-running shows, “Big Bang” won’t generate much incremental revenue from the additional 48 episodes to come in an 11th and 12th seasons.

Cabler TBS and the TV stations that carry “Big Bang” reruns pay for the show by the week, not by the episode, for a pre-set license term. That means Warner Bros. will make the same fees with the existing 230 episodes as it would by adding another 48 installments to the mix. An SVOD licensing deal for “Big Bang” is believed to be in the works at long last (now that cable and broadcast syndication exclusivity terms have ended) but that too will most likely be based on a flat fee for a license term rather than an episode-based pricing model. With the big SVOD outlets increasingly plowing more resources into original programming, spending on off-network acquisitions has become tighter. “Big Bang” will surely draw strong interest, but the promise of additional episodes to come in 2018 and 2019 probably won’t drive the pricetag higher.

 

bfm and joyceraye like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

4 hours ago, Tensor said:

 

At this stage of the game, it's CBS that is paying for essentially all production costs.  And they're between a rock and a hard place.   With declining ratings (Broadcast generally, I'm not speaking of TBBT alone, yet) they have declining revenue for the show.  Increases in production costs may mean they are losing money to put the show on the air.  So, trying to hold costs down may be the only way we get more seasons.   This is the usual way a long running show ends.  It simply becomes too expensive to produce vs the amount brought in because of the ratings.  

I remember reading that Friends was actually a money loser for NBC in the end when all six were making $1M per episode.  It gets to a point where a show's presence in the lineup and its use as a promotional vehicle makes it worthwhile to lose money in the short-term.  Much like NBC back then, CBS doesn't have a lot of guaranteed future performers, so TBBT's worth is more about the network's bottom line than the show's bottom line.

April, joyceraye, amethyst and 3 others like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

I think it is great that Kaley Johnny and Jim are willing to take a 10 percent pay cut so that the other 2 Melissa and Mayhem can get a raise but will they make it on 900000  an episode or will they have to be put on a budget like Raj :icon_razz:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

From what I've read it's a $100,000 cut. It's trending on Facebook right now haha. Referring to them as co workers of the year Haha. For a long running show. It comes down to how expensive a show is to produce. With the declining ratings and revenue. I guess it's down to Melissa and Mayim.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

The news of the "Original Five" (sort of like "We Seven", the Mercury program astronauts!) taking a pay cut/giving back is spreading big time.  My cable/computer company that I use as my homepage has the news on its rotating breaking news loop.  That is what you call a close working ensemble!!!

Regardless of the amount it is a grand gesture by them to support Mayim and Melissa.  As far as CBS paying for much of the production costs (a question for you Tensor) does the fact that they use TBBT as a lead in for newer comedies, trying to give them a boost help mitigate that cost?

bfm likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

On 2/20/2017 at 3:15 PM, Sah said:

For Lenny - More screen time, a road trip and some romantic/fun dates (picnic in a park) . More family from both sides.

For Shamy - Another milestone met and meeting Amy's family. More Meemaw and Mary Cooper. More Amy fantasies.

For Howardette - Great stories about raising a child, meeting Howards dad and finding out why Howard  wears the alien pins on his shirt all the time.

For Raj - Emily. I loved her... more of his hilarious parents and perhaps some siblings...but NOT Priya. I did not like the way she treated Leonard.

More group gatherings and more cafeteria conversations

More Stewart and Bert. Kripke also.

I'm not the slightest bit interested in Lenny. I don't understand it and never did, so I'm letting this one go.

Shamy...NO Meemaw. I love Mary, but Meemaw was a total disaster. I don't know a lot of people that worked for at all. Perhaps it was the fact that no one could make everyone happy after years of speculation, or that 17 1/2 minutes wasn't enough time to do the story justice, but Meemaw was all wrong for me. I'll take as much of Mary as we can get though. I wish they'd get Judd back again as Leonard's dad but I know he's busy right now. Maybe they could be seeing each other and writing the boys driving them crazy?

I'd rather see Howard's brother again than Howard's dad. Again, don't think they can do a decent follow through on that in a few minutes, but I thought the brother has potential.

If you mean Dr. Emily and not blind Emily, no. Actually I loathed both of them. They missed a huge opportunity with Yvette the vet. But I never want to see Emily again, although I like the actress well enough. I wish they hadn't killed her character off on Sleepy Hollow. THAT she was perfect for.

Group gatherings, yes, and some with unusual match ups would be great. Amy and Howard were hilarious on the scavenger hunt. I kept wondering if they ever went to that concert together.

Kripke is always hilarious. The Cooper/Kripke inversion is one of my favorite eps. Stuart needs to find success at something and not be such a sad sack. I always hoped it would be through his art...that someone would notice his art in the shop or something.

 

hokie3457 and snapepans like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

15 hours ago, Die Zimtzicke said:

The link I had gave a little more info and went into more than I saw on the previous page here.
https://www.yahoo.com/tv/big-bang-theory-stars-mayim-bialik-melissa-rauch-010004140.html

I was especially interested in the following statement
 

 

Whats more interesting is reader comments after the article. Most all think they are way overpaid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

6 minutes ago, Die Zimtzicke said:

I'm not the slightest bit interested in Lenny. I don't understand it and never did, so I'm letting this one go.

Shamy...NO Meemaw. I love Mary, but Meemaw was a total disaster. I don't know a lot of people that worked for at all. Perhaps it was the fact that no one could make everyone happy after years of speculation, or that 17 1/2 minutes wasn't enough time to do the story justice, but Meemaw was all wrong for me. I'll take as much of Mary as we can get though. I wish they'd get Judd back again as Leonard's dad but I know he's busy right now. Maybe they could be seeing each other and writing the boys driving them crazy?

I'd rather see Howard's brother again than Howard's dad. Again, don't think they can do a decent follow through on that in a few minutes, but I thought the brother has potential.

If you mean Dr. Emily and not blind Emily, no. Actually I loathed both of them. They missed a huge opportunity with Yvette the vet. But I never want to see Emily again, although I like the actress well enough. I wish they hadn't killed her character off on Sleepy Hollow. THAT she was perfect for.

Group gatherings, yes, and some with unusual match ups would be great. Amy and Howard were hilarious on the scavenger hunt. I kept wondering if they ever went to that concert together.

Kripke is always hilarious. The Cooper/Kripke inversion is one of my favorite eps. Stuart needs to find success at something and not be such a sad sack. I always hoped it would be through his art...that someone would notice his art in the shop or something.

 

...Other than the Lenny comment, so agree with most of this! 

Was sorry to see them make Meemaw so hard and cantankerous (and the large glass of [?] whiskey [?] was hoping that she was the impetus for Shelly’s teetotaler ways ).

The mutual regard between Howard and his half-brother (after the initial shock) was sweet.  He could be a sane voice of reason for Mr. Wolowitz.

I had been a fan of Dr. Emily, but after her last appearance is seems that bridge has been burned.  Yvette the vet would be an interesting return with Cinnamon as a hook.

It seems in the very recent episodes the group is slowly coming back together.  Would like to see more of this, however with baby Hallie that could be an issue for Howard and Bernadette.

Yes to both of these observations on Kripke and Stuart.  Unfortunately for us John Ross Bowie's availability is limited with his new series.....

snapepans and Irene like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

24 minutes ago, Chrismo said:

Whats more interesting is reader comments after the article. Most all think they are way overpaid.

 

I don't think they are overpaid at all . They are getting what they deserve imo.

BTW,   i remember Mayim said, they are all overpaid , including herself .  Lol.  I remember reading that  somewhere.

Edited by serena_1995
Jonny and veejay like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

5 minutes ago, serena_1995 said:

 

I don't think they are overpaid at all . They are getting what they deserve imo.

BTW,   i remember Mayim said, they are all overpaid , including herself .  Lol.  I remember reading that  somewhere.

I agree regarding "overpaid" in the entertainment/sport world context.  It is very interesting for someone like Mayim.  She had been away from acting for a bit when she landed the part of AFF, concentrating on her family and education.  Now that she has been back for a while, she has opened up greatly with charitable works and things like her Gronk site.  I can understand her wanting to make the most (monetarily) for whatever time is left of TBBT to be able to continue on with the sort of work she is doing now.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

12 minutes ago, serena_1995 said:

 

I don't think they are overpaid at all . They are getting what they deserve imo.

BTW,   i remember Mayim said, they are all overpaid , including herself .  Lol.  I remember reading that  somewhere.

Compared to teachers, doctors, nurses etc. ? IMO overpaid. How many millions of people would love to have a one time $100,000 cut the 5 are giving away?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

11 minutes ago, serena_1995 said:

 

I don't think they are overpaid at all . They are getting what they deserve imo.

BTW,   i remember Mayim said, they are all overpaid , including herself .  Lol.  I remember reading that  somewhere.

Yeah I remember an article with her saying that, then the following day there was another article saying Kaley was pissed at her for saying that lol. All sorts of speculation at the time back then with all sorts of stories.

Are they overpaid? That's down to each individual and how they view it. But these arguments are usually silly because it's not us paying the money it's up to the networks what they are happy to pay them.

Lot of the negative comments in the articles about this negotiation development also have an external factor outside of acting and that's obviously the political situation. Most of the actors have been very vocal which is their right, but it also opens them up to criticism. You can see that in the article comments.

Anyway, I just hope they get this deal done.

mirs1 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

2 minutes ago, Jonny said:

Yeah I remember an article with her saying that, then the following day there was another article saying Kaley was pissed at her for saying that lol. All sorts of speculation at the time back then with all sorts of stories.

Are they overpaid? That's down to each individual and how they view it. But these arguments are usually silly because it's not us paying the money it's up to the networks what they are happy to pay them.

Lot of the negative comments in the articles about this negotiation development also have an external factor outside of acting and that's obviously the political situation. Most of the actors have been very vocal which is their right, but it also opens them up to criticism. You can see that in the article comments.

Anyway, I just hope they get this deal done.

 

That's why I was wondering why Mayim said they were all overpaid , if she wants a raise ? That's contradictory lol. 

JohnPhD likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

Overpaid?   Hardly.  Let's give them all $50,000 an episode( which I'm sure some will say is too much).  So, instead of salary costs of 5.5 million an episode, it's $250,000 an episode.  Where do you think the other 126 million, per year for salaries would go?  Do you think Warner Brothers would reduce the licensing fee to CBS?  Would you think CBS would reduce their profits to give advertisers a break on their ad fees?  Or, would WB and CBS simply keep the profits themselves?

See, most people have this backwards.  Advertisers pay all these huge fees on show's like TBBT, because there are a lot of people watching and advertisers want lots of people to see their ads. Because advertisers pay all those large fees, CBS and WB make huge profits.  So, the actors are just trying to get their cuts.  Cause the money is still there if the actors don't get it, it just goes to the networks and production companies. 

CBS is trying to get as much as they can from the advertisers.  WB is trying to get as much as they can from CBS.  Why is it considered as overpayment for the actors to get as much as they can from CBS and WB.  (As an off-topic aside, everytime I type CBS and WB, the song "Life is a Rock(But the Radio Rolled Me)" pops into my head.)

April, amethyst, hokie3457 and 6 others like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

9 minutes ago, Tensor said:

Overpaid?   Hardly.  Let's give them all $50,000 an episode( which I'm sure some will say is too much).  So, instead of salary costs of 5.5 million an episode, it's $250,000 an episode.  Where do you think the other 126 million, per year for salaries would go?  Do you think Warner Brothers would reduce the licensing fee to CBS?  Would you think CBS would reduce their profits to give advertisers a break on their ad fees?  Or, would WB and CBS simply keep the profits themselves?

See, most people have this backwards.  Advertisers pay all these huge fees on show's like TBBT, because there are a lot of people watching and advertisers want lots of people to see their ads. Because advertisers pay all those large fees, CBS and WB make huge profits.  So, the actors are just trying to get their cuts.  Cause the money is still there if the actors don't get it, it just goes to the networks and production companies. 

CBS is trying to get as much as they can from the advertisers.  WB is trying to get as much as they can from CBS.  Why is it considered as overpayment for the actors to get as much as they can from CBS and WB.  (As an off-topic aside, everytime I type CBS and WB, the song "Life is a Rock(But the Radio Rolled Me)" pops into my head.)

Overpaid compared to the WB and CBS. Hardly. Compared to the average viewer who watches the show? IMO absolutely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

6 minutes ago, Tensor said:

Overpaid?   Hardly.  Let's give them all $50,000 an episode( which I'm sure some will say is too much).  So, instead of salary costs of 5.5 million an episode, it's $250,000 an episode.  Where do you think the other 126 million, per year for salaries would go?  Do you think Warner Brothers would reduce the licensing fee to CBS?  Would you think CBS would reduce their profits to give advertisers a break on their ad fees?  Or, would WB and CBS simply keep the profits themselves?

See, most people have this backwards.  Advertisers pay all these huge fees on show's like TBBT, because there are a lot of people watching and advertisers want lots of people to see their ads. Because advertisers pay all those large fees, CBS and WB make huge profits.  So, the actors are just trying to get their cuts.  Cause the money is still there if the actors don't get it, it just goes to the networks and production companies. 

CBS is trying to get as much as they can from the advertisers.  WB is trying to get as much as they can from CBS.  Why is it considered as overpayment for the actors to get as much as they can from CBS and WB.  (As an off-topic aside, everytime I type CBS and WB, the song "Life is a Rock(But the Radio Rolled Me)" pops into my head.)

Yeah, it's all relative.

Is it overpaid in relation to what a more ordinary job with similar working times would get you? Yes. They have a relatively easy working schedule - it's not some gruelling 50 hours week for 52 weeks a year. (And this is what most people see when they say "they're overpaid", it's probably also what Mayim meant, but who knows cause her comment was pretty off-hand and nothing she elaborated on much.)

BUT

Is it overpaid in relation to how much profit the show is bringing in by using their work and images and what have you?? Not at all, for all the reasons listed in the quoted post above. If the money doesn't go to the actors it just goes to someone higher up the food chain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

40 minutes ago, Jonny said:

 

Are they overpaid? That's down to each individual and how they view it. But these arguments are usually silly because it's not us paying the money it's up to the networks what they are happy to pay them.

 

Unless you watch on free tv (no cable or dish) you are indirectly paying their salary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

39 minutes ago, Tensor said:

Overpaid?   Hardly.  Let's give them all $50,000 an episode( which I'm sure some will say is too much).  So, instead of salary costs of 5.5 million an episode, it's $250,000 an episode.  Where do you think the other 126 million, per year for salaries would go?  Do you think Warner Brothers would reduce the licensing fee to CBS?  Would you think CBS would reduce their profits to give advertisers a break on their ad fees?  Or, would WB and CBS simply keep the profits themselves?

See, most people have this backwards.  Advertisers pay all these huge fees on show's like TBBT, because there are a lot of people watching and advertisers want lots of people to see their ads. Because advertisers pay all those large fees, CBS and WB make huge profits.  So, the actors are just trying to get their cuts.  Cause the money is still there if the actors don't get it, it just goes to the networks and production companies. 

CBS is trying to get as much as they can from the advertisers.  WB is trying to get as much as they can from CBS.  Why is it considered as overpayment for the actors to get as much as they can from CBS and WB.  (As an off-topic aside, everytime I type CBS and WB, the song "Life is a Rock(But the Radio Rolled Me)" pops into my head.)

Ha!  "b.b. bumble and the stingers, mott the hoople, ray charles singers...."  It's been forever since I've even thought of that song!  Great call Tensor!!!!  "lonnie mack and twangin' eddie, take my ring we're going steady...."  I just can't!!!!!!!

serena_1995 and wowbagger like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

12 minutes ago, Chrismo said:

Overpaid compared to the WB and CBS. Hardly. Compared to the average viewer who watches the show? IMO absolutely.

But then, those who object have a defense, don't watch the show.  They wouldn't get those salaries, if the people weren't watching.  Their salaries have as much to do with the average viewer as what I get as disability compared to the average viewer...i. e. nothing.  People complain about their salaries, and compare them to teachers or first responders.  To make the calculations easier, I'm going to assume $50,000 a year, with 1,000 teachers. These aren't exact, but not far off.

 So our district is paying out about $50 million in teachers salaries. Now, let's give them $500,000 a year.  Now, the district has to come up with an extra $450 million in taxes.  How many people would be willing to increase their taxes by nine times( if I was paying taxes, mine would go from just over $2,000 a year, to just under $20,000 a year). 

The comparison is silly.  Teachers are paid under a non-profit system, the actors are paid based on a free economy, for profit system.  If you want to complain that they are paid too much, compared to teachers, complain about the societal system that values SOME actors more than most teachers. I say some, as according to SAG data, the average actor makes $30,000 a year.  Which means there are approximately 4,000 actors making nothing, to average out to $30,000, for the 120 million the first five are making each year. 

veejay, hokie3457, April and 3 others like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now