luminous

Renewal Thread

83 posts in this topic

Posted

24 minutes ago, hokie3457 said:

Ha!  "b.b. bumble and the stingers, mott the hoople, ray charles singers...."  It's been forever since I've even thought of that song!  Great call Tensor!!!!  "lonnie mack and twangin' eddie, take my ring we're going steady...."  I just can't!!!!!!!

And, of course, "...CBS and Warner Brothers, RCA and all the others..."

Posted

27 minutes ago, Tensor said:

But then, those who object have a defense, don't watch the show.   

I think there only defense is not watch TV.

Posted

13 minutes ago, Tensor said:

And, of course, "...CBS and Warner Brothers, RCA and all the others..."

"at the end of my rainbow, lies a golden oldie."  Seriously.  This song will be in my head all day......Tonight = YouTube looking for it...."Johnny Cash and Johny Rivers. can't stop now I've got the shivers."

serena_1995, Tensor and wowbagger like this

Posted

17 minutes ago, hokie3457 said:

"at the end of my rainbow, lies a golden oldie."  Seriously.  This song will be in my head all day......Tonight = YouTube looking for it...."Johnny Cash and Johny Rivers. can't stop now I've got the shivers."

For those who are totally confused by Hokie and I, and want the song, and the lyrics in one place, try here.

wowbagger, veejay and hokie3457 like this

Posted

6 minutes ago, Tensor said:

For those who are totally confused by Hokie and I, this is what we are talking about.     Lyrics can be found Here.

It was sung/spoken very quickly and was hard to understand unless you listened over and over.  Our local radio station had someone read the lyrics on air very, very slowly.  It was a fun diversion.  I just Googled it and found the song was from 1974.  I was 17!!!  Thanks Tensor!  This was a lot of fun. (and thank you forum members for putting up with my weird glee!!!

wowbagger, Tensor and veejay like this

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, Tensor said:

.........../........The comparison is silly.  Teachers are paid under a non-profit system, the actors are paid based on a free economy, for profit system.  If you want to complain that they are paid too much, compared to teachers, complain about the societal system that values SOME actors more than most teachers. I say some, as according to SAG data, the average actor makes $30,000 a year.  Which means there are approximately 4,000 actors making nothing, to average out to $30,000, for the 120 million the first five are making each year. 

yawm.gif.2e9de633522311dc80d468d46f4c6098.gif

Edited by veejay
hokie3457, JE7, wowbagger and 2 others like this

Posted

They are going to have to save a little salary money for the toddler they are going to have to add to the cast next year.  I don't think they will be able to get by with a doll by then.

Posted

8 minutes ago, SRAM said:

They are going to have to save a little salary money for the toddler they are going to have to add to the cast next year.  I don't think they will be able to get by with a doll by then.

Ooops. How do you know? :icon_cheesygrin:

100om.gif.e8b1c15063b55c51935cf57afb16f3f1.gif

bfm and serena_1995 like this

Posted

The news of the big five cutting their pay-checks in favour of Melissa and Mayim has made it also in some reliable newspaper in my Country, where actually TBBT is not that popular. Unluckily, it is reported in a very approximative way (in some cases the figures are completely messed up), the journalists have made very little research and basically they say the show has very few chances of getting renewed and this move from the main cast was the last attempt to save it. Just a quick look at Prady's Twitter, Kaley's IG or to Kunal's last interview to BBC should have shown the show has basically already been picked up for S. 11 and 12. Speaking of "fake" news, LOL!

April, kbp, spidergirl and 2 others like this

Posted

On 3/2/2017 at 2:44 AM, Earnie said:

Melissa and Mayhem

Typo?

Posted (edited)

Go in the comment sections though. Boy ppl hate this show lol. Basically boycott this show and its sponsors. Worst show ever etc. Guess that is what happens when you have such a high lvl of success for such a sustained period of time. Ppl either try to diminish it. Or attempt to qualifiy it. Hate who's on top mentality/tall poppy syndrome.

I'll say the cast are close to signing new deals for Season 11 and 12. Just the matter of Mel and Mayim reaching parity. Tbh the gap is too large. They've been on the show nearly half the series run now. They deserve a pay rise. Take Kaley and Johnnys salaries :D. 

Edited by 3ku11

Posted

44 minutes ago, mirs1 said:

The news of the big five cutting their pay-checks in favour of Melissa and Mayim has made it also in some reliable newspaper in my Country, where actually TBBT is not that popular. Unluckily, it is reported in a very approximative way (in some cases the figures are completely messed up), the journalists have made very little research and basically they say the show has very few chances of getting renewed and this move from the main cast was the last attempt to save it. Just a quick look at Prady's Twitter, Kaley's IG or to Kunal's last interview to BBC should have shown the show has basically already been picked up for S. 11 and 12. Speaking of "fake" news, LOL!

I saw the post on FB this morning and I have to say, I'm actually quite surprised by most of the comments to that article. Not as ignorant and stupid as I was expecting them to be. They even know the name of the actors...I mean! 

spidergirl and mirs1 like this

Posted (edited)

As expected it's all in the UK papers because the show is really popular over here. Mixed comments like everywhere, fans of the show happy a deal looks like it's on the cards, some complaining about the money they are getting paid (The Daily Mail paper and website has pictures of the cast with what they are getting in £) and some rightly thinking that gap needs to close substantially.

I have two sisters who watch the show who read the Variety piece and other articles and they told me they still think that gap is absolutely obscene even if Mayim and Melissa end up getting bumped up to around $450k per episode up from $200k (IIRC that was a figure I saw somewhere, though I could be wrong as there are so many articles out there). I would have to agree with them based on screen time and storyline involvement especially this season.

Mayim and Melissa should try and aim for as much as they get, but presumably they will get a take it or leave it deal like Kunal and Simon did iirc once?

Edited by Jonny
spidergirl, April and mirs1 like this

Posted

1 hour ago, 3ku11 said:

Go in the comment sections though. Boy ppl hate this show lol. Basically boycott this show and its sponsors. Worst show ever etc. Guess that is what happens when you have such a high lvl of success for such a sustained period of time. Ppl either try to diminish it. Or attempt to qualifiy it. Hate who's on top mentality/tall poppy syndrome.

I'll say the cast are close to signing new deals for Season 11 and 12. Just the matter of Mel and Mayim reaching parity. Tbh the gap is too large. They've been on the show nearly half the series run now. They deserve a pay rise. Take Kaley and Johnnys salaries :D. 

I think many comments are determined by the fact that some members of the cast (especially Johnny, Mayim and Simon) and the crew (have a look at Bill Prady's Twitter account, for example) are very explicit in their disagreement with Trump's political choices. Also in the TBBT official FB page there are many comments from people saying they are boycotting the show because of that. 

Posted

56 minutes ago, mirs1 said:

I think many comments are determined by the fact that some members of the cast (especially Johnny, Mayim and Simon) and the crew (have a look at Bill Prady's Twitter account, for example) are very explicit in their disagreement with Trump's political choices. Also in the TBBT official FB page there are many comments from people saying they are boycotting the show because of that. 

Yes it's politically driven. It's Also agenda driven. A lot of people resent this shows continued success. So yes I agree with you. 

Posted (edited)

7 hours ago, mirs1 said:

Same here. A newspaper (also reliable) mentioned Sheldon  spin off  with a litle  note in its article as if the show was not renewed, the spin off would replaced it (?) and the actors pay checks amounts and their possible cuttting for Melissa and Maym 's (whose values are more litle here I dont know why , lol).The only curiosity I found in the article was the spin off would be filmed with a single camera as "Malcolm in MIdle" was. It is a funny effect imo. Malcolm was funny for watch two seasons, not all of them, as I got tired of the non sense all time tone of the show, as it was too teen-ish. Not even the camera angles saved it for me, lol!

Edited by spidergirl
mirs1 likes this

Posted

On 3/2/2017 at 9:39 AM, Chrismo said:

Compared to teachers, doctors, nurses etc. ? IMO overpaid. How many millions of people would love to have a one time $100,000 cut the 5 are giving away?

In the summer I work for the county park dept. and rest of the year I am a teacher's aide for children with special needs. Both jobs pay $9.50 an hour. (Thank God my husband is an accountant that makes a lot more than that.) So I can safely say park service employees and lots of teachers probably all feel kind of off when they hear these numbers.

Posted

I don't get the "they don't deserve that amount of money" argument. Money makes the works go round. Life is not fair. But these tv studios like WB. Are worth billions. Particularly WB are set to make 3 billion from the show. Would they without the cast? Unlikely.

Posted

10 hours ago, 3ku11 said:

Particularly WB are set to make 3 billion from the show. Would they without the cast? Unlikely.

I don't know where these billions are supposedly coming from. The syndication is a fee by the week isn't it, no matter  how many eps there are? And how many more commercials and how much more product placement can they add?

Posted

No, it's not by the week, and it's actually over a billion, so far.   First, you have the licensing fee CBS pays to Warner Brothers.  That has been in the 3-5 million dollar range for the entire run.  Using four million as some kind of average, with 231 episodes (through 10 seasons), comes in at close to a billion dollars alone.  However, production costs come out of that, (not counting salary, which CBS pays for).  So even if production costs are a third of that, That would still be over $600 million.   

TBS paid 1.5 million per episode.  FOX independent stations paid 500,000 per episode.  That's a total of 2 million per episode, for the life of the syndication contract.   With 231 episodes (again, with 10 years) that's almost a half a billion by itself.  So, WB is already looking at over a billion.

Exclusivity for those episodes ends, I believe, at the end of next year.  After that, TBS, FOX independent, and anyone else (Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, etc) can also bid and pay for it.  The next contracts will not get as much as the first contract for TBS and FOX independents, but with a renewal, there will be 279 episodes, and several other outlets that will want it.  

In addition, while future contract will less lucrative, they could run for another 20 year (as some current show from the 90s are still doing), bringing in more.  There is also the DVD that have already been purchased (I see that revenue declining as streaming picks up even more).  It is quite likely that when all is said and done, experts in the field believe there is going to be right around 3 Billion of revenue for the show.  

Most everyone concentrates on the million an episode that the actors get, but what a lot of people miss is the 1.25 points they get.  With those,  Johnny, Kaley, ad Jim are looking at around an additional $35 million over the course of the last contract, in addition to their salary.  And I would bet those terms are still in there for this contract.  

Posted

Inqusitr is a rag that has to be taken with the entire salt lick (if not the entire salt mine).

They are not going to announce anything until they have all the "i's" dotted and "t's" crossed.  Part of that was getting the first five to agree to a contract. It appears that is complete.  The next is getting Mayim and Melissa under contract.  They are working on that.  Part of it seemed to be seeing if the first five would take a cut, to get M and M their hike.  The other is how much M and M are demanding and how much CBS is willing to pay (and possibly Warner Brothers, if they are asking for points).  

Is it possible that it won't be back next year?  I suppose so, if they don't get M and M signed and CBS decides it  won't do it without them.  But, from a business standpoint, I can see CBS possibly bringing it back with only the first five, although they would probably lose audience, possibly removing the incentive to bring it back.

FWIW, with the first five ready to sign and willing to take a pay cut to get some coin for M and M, I can't see how it won't be back, with the full cast.   

mirs1, kbp, April and 3 others like this

Posted

But if I remember Bill Prady confirmed by twitter that they all signed up for the 2 new seasons and kaley's comment on istagram!

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Posted

It's still not official though and that's all that matters, until it's officially announced there is always a chance something could happen which means it doesn't.

I think a lot of these media sources 'jumped the gun' by assuming that once the highest paid 5 were signed on that it would be merely a formality that those on lesser money would just sign. The following stories about the pay cuts and trying to get Mayim and Melissa closer to parity could perhaps indicate that was the case.

IF Mayim and Melissa don't end up coming back I would have to seriously consider whether to watch the show going forward. They are an integral part of the show both as individual characters (it's no secret that Amy is my favorite character) but also are vital to other characters namely Sheldon and Howard and even to a large degree Penny.

bfm, snapepans and April like this

Posted

From TV Guide

The Big Bang Theory Renewal and Prequel Pickup Are Looking Good

CBS CEO Leslie Moonves is confident The Big Bang Theory and the show's prequel Little Sheldon will be on the network's schedule next fall.

During an investor gathering on Tuesday, Moonves told the Deutsche Bank Media Telecom Conference that CBS is "on the two yard line" in negotiating a two-year, 48-episode renewal of Big Bang in addition to the prequel, which will focus on a younger version of Jim Parson's Sheldon, Deadline reports.

(more in the link)

Jonny, Kev0821, bfm and 6 others like this