Tripper

episodes
1017 'The Comic-Con Conundrum' (February 23)

21 posts in this topic

Posted

'The Comic-Con Conundrum' - Season 10, Episode 17 
Airs Thursday, February 23 at 8/7c on CBS.

With Koothrappali cut off from his father's fortune, he appoints Sheldon to help him get out of debt. Also, Penny considers joining Leonard at Comic-Con.

Posted

Overall liked the episode. Thought it was generally a good episode. Lenny trying to please each other. Was all right with Shamy telling Penny she didn't want to go and Leonard not wanting Penny to go to Comic Con. Were  trying to compromise on something in the future. Bernadette getting Howard to do some work was good to see and him trying to do it was worth it. I actually liked Raj for once not accepting the money from Howdette. The tag was the worst part of the episode. Sheldon pretending to talk dirty to Amy was predictable. Kind of sad Amy fell for that.

HeWolf, JohnPhD, john2p and 1 other like this

Posted (edited)

Best episode in a while. Not saying Much though. Thought pacing wise was bit of a mess. So many stories going on. Seemed a bit over simplified tbh. Lennys plot was basically a misunderstanding and then compromising. I did like Penny acknowledging Leonard does so much for her. Maybe tptb are taking on response from fans. And harshening Penny, and softening her up a bit. I did like Penny was willing to do something she diddnt necessarily like to make Leonard happy. Vice versa for Leonard. Typical Lenny lol.

Amy was the contrary wouldent even consider going to cc with Sheldon. It did feel more like old school TbbT. With the theme, and the comic book store. I enjoyed Leonard and Sheldon interacting. Haven't seen that in a while. Liked Raj for once. Not accepting a hand out. I laughed out loud at Bernadettes line "Oh god your cheating on me with Raj" LOL. I could actually see that. Liked Penny comments about CC maybe more mainstream these days. But then Raj stool represents their key demo. The worst part again, was the Shamy tag. Predictable and cringy. Amy came across Sad and pathetic being manipulated by Sheldon like that. Overall I thought it was good.

Edited by 3ku11

Posted

still hating the Raj storyline (zero realism, if he's such a big spender, for sure he has tons of expensive collectibles to sell - for full price on ebay, not for 10% of the price to suddenly out-of-nowhere cocky Stuart), but the rest was actually hilarious! I've laughed more than in any other episode I remember this season...

Also I actually really liked Lenny in this ep, I thought they've had the best chemistry they've had all season, even in spite of the fight [so I'm gonna ignore how unrealistic it is that Penny can't recognize he's lying after she did it in one second in the Thanksgiving ep last season]

HeWolf, john2p, luminous and 4 others like this

Posted

I agree with most of the opinions. I was amused. Indeed mybee to many stories in one. But overall a lighthearted feel good comedy. The Raj story is unbelievable but I guess it´s necessary as a set upt to get him a stabile relationship.  The spoiled Raj was the main factor why the previous relationsships failed. I am so in love with the Lenny. They looked great! 

HeWolf likes this

Posted (edited)

Lenny were the best part. I enjoyed Sheldon wearing a visor hat and the guys' scene in 4A but I don't like the Raj plot TBH. Why not focus on his work as an astrophysicist  at Caltech and do more group scenes with the guys at Caltech cafeteria, instead of this money issue, which seems boring and out of nowhere ??  he could have sold some of his collectables at full price .

I liked Leonard and Penny in this episode . this reminds me why Penny is still my favorite character on TBBT, (it used to be both Penny and Sheldon ,but now, sometimes i can't stand what they have done to Sheldon ).   It is touching that she is genuinely willing to participate in some of the nerdy activities for Leonard and that Leonard recognized that and decided to stay back for her.The river rafting decision at the end was a nice touch.  I like that they are both willing to go out of their comfort zone for each other. It is give and take , like it should be. although a bit puzzling why they couldn't see through each others' lies.

Sheldon and Amy did nothing but snipe at each other the entire episode. Sheldon saying something rude and insensitive /Amy scolding him and barely tolerating him. where have i seen that before. thankfully i didn't get the man child/annoyed mommy vibe from S/A, so it could have been worse.

Edited by serena_1995
JohnPhD, veejay, HeWolf and 3 others like this

Posted (edited)

-"His mother never had him tested". There, now Sheldon gets it.

-Looked up Comic-Con ticket prices. 50 for adults. I'm not sure how much transportation costs but Raj should easily be able to cover it. The writers are trying to find a way to work Raj up from being a loser, but are forgetting that Raj isn't a waiter at The Cheesecake Factory. I don't buy that he has an emergency credit card bill. He's been holding onto at least a little bit of his earnings for 10 years. He should be the richest in the group with or without the father moolah. Maybe this plotline was inspired by the paycheck differences between the actors, because that's where Raj gets the short end.

-"I already live in a place all the nerds come to". Who even talks like this? Why is she so bitter? When was the last time she was even shown to have a hobby going on? Nobody can fucking stand jokes like this, especially when the event is super mainstream in culture.

-Comic-Con > Amy's aunt's funeral.

-Leonard's right. Even if Penny tried to do the good gesture, she'd ultimately just get mad at him and ruin the trip because she'll realize trying in a relationship is hard.

-Sheldon be damned, if Raj really wants this he can disobey this flimsy arrangement of financial management. Why didn't he just ask Stuart to help him manage? Apparently these people love to give Sheldon positions of power even when he doesn't ask for them. Almost like they enjoy the toxic cycle of complaining about him.

-"Charge people to punch you in the face". No, I know, why not have the astrophysicist set up a lemonade stand? Science degrees are worthless.

-"Never gets old". I disagree!

-And now Howard has to do chores around the house to get permission. 10 seasons in and we're still equating wife with the word mother.

-Where's Wolowitz sounds like a blast.

-Oh cool, Sheldon slept in bed with Leonard/Penny. :D

-I don't get the chain mail part.

-Is Stuart's comic shop now GameStop?

-Leonard's an in-door cat.

-"Comic books aren't just for sad nerds anymore". But that was never who they were specifically for. I don't even really read comics and I've never been to Comic-Con, but really if you're going to panels it's like how people on this site go to a Big Bang Theory taping.

-Sweet costume. Stuart just had that lying around?

-No outsourcing.

-Leonard and Penny are the worst liars in the world. Do not they not hear each other's tone?

-The bell is your best idea Bernadette.

-Raj can't even afford double stuffed oreos?!

-"He can find a girl with a job". They are literally acting like he's unemployed and next time, homeless. They have a full two more seasons to play around with this regression if they had such an unfortunate idea, so I hope another turning point is being saved for the Season 10 finale.

-"If make-up is so truthful why is it called concealer?".

-Sheldon's right, sitcom relationship hijinks are high-larious.

-Lenny can't even agree on whose driving without a petty squabble of mass proportions, maybe Sheldon should put that license to good use.

-Shamy tag team Lenny fixing. That's something a lot of people on this board like to see.

-"Not next year either". So what, Season 12?

-"Room in the bed by Sheldon's feet". Maybe that's why Raj sacrificed what he was scrambling for all episode.

-Sheldon missing Comic-Con is like Amy missing her one sex per year.

-Hooray, Howard was just bullshitting. His change of heart would've been extra confusing after the week of labor.

-Erogenous ball and socket joint.

-"It's long isn't it?". The panelist list is a euphemism for his dick. The show doesn't make it clear but I doubt that was manipulation, just more of Sheldon's awkward wording that the dialogue forces. Wonder if Amy would agree to go to Comic-Con if it meant sex, but Stuart's still viable.

-That was a challenging February. March's schedule is a life saver.

Edited by Shelldon
brilliantfool and serena_1995 like this

Posted

I think it was a good episode. I had many laughs, some LOL's (e.g., "Where is Wollowitz?"; Bernadette seeing right through Howard's smooching).

Howardette were nice and funny. Raj bored me a little but his decision to reject Howardette's money was good and mature to me and made me think there is still hope for him. 

Really liked Lenny this episode, especially the kitchen scene (great acting! both conveyed both the love and the discomfort) and Leonard's decision. I wrote my thoguhts in detail on the Lenny thread so I'll put a shortened version here with a little more on Shamy. I really liked that we got an episode full of Lenny that wasn't them fighting or unhappy for unclear or unjustified reasons! I also loved that, IMO, they showed that BOTH of them want to make each other happy and are willing to make sacrifices for each other. This is kind of new for Penny. She did things for him in the past but it was rare and didn't involve much sacrifice. So to me this is definitely character developement! I think it also shows that they really love each other, in spite of their differences. I think breaking up is not a good option for them (altough I am not rulling out, the characters and certainly the writers can make really bad choices). However, they do need to work on their communication. Ironically, I think this episode that brought the differences in Lenny's interests and prefered activities to the front, actually shows that they are not an "opposite attract" case.  They may differ in these aspects, but both are generally compassionate, caring people. They care about each other and about other people (for Penny mostly her close friends) and are willing to make efforts to help and make others happy, even if those others are very difficult people (*cough* Sheldon Cooper). 

Sheldon's meta comments were so on point: he was has been in the middle for all those years and they do want to make each other happy but make each other sad. But while the he and the writers may think it is hillarious, I certainly disagree and I think I am not alone. If it was 2-3 times, and these were like in this episode and not like "The Romance Recalibration" and "The Emotion Detection Automation", maybe. But this is too long, too rough and just all over the place.

I think the comparison between Lenny and Shamy wasn't meant to show that Lenny are bad and Shamy are so much better. What I got is that they are at almost opposite spots on a scale: Lenny are (not always but in this episode and more generally) too concerned about hurting each other, so they make efforts to hide some of their thoughts and feelings from each other and instead use various manipulations and end up fighting when they are actually on the same side. Shamy on the other hand, well not Shamy, Sheldon... he loves Amy and does things for her but also sticks to his likes, desires, thoughts and feelings to a point that it sometimes hurts her. Amy sometimes disregards his interests, like in this episode, but all of the girls do that (sadly the women on the show are the mommies who want to make their partners abandon their "immature", "pathetic" interests. Penny was more supportive in this episode which was nice!). Shamy weren't all perfect ths episode, not at all actually. So I think the message wasn't that this way is good and that way is not. There should be a balance. Shamy too can improve and I think they are (again, mostly Sheldon because it's mostly his problem) generally on the right track. 

Irene, Jonny, brilliantfool and 2 others like this

Posted

That episode showed Lenny in a way I'd love to see a lot more often. Although I was confused by Penny acknowledging that Leonard does stuff he doesn't like to make her happy when she just complained about him not putting enough effort into their marriage. Well, which is it? Just shows that these writers forget things they wrote a few weeks ago. 

Leonard and Penny were really sweet and considerate, though. I don't understand why we have to go through pointless drama that's resolved off screen (or is it even resolved?!) when instead we can have them be so great to each other. This was much more entertaining.

Posted (edited)

Decent episode, wasn't the best one of the season for me but it had some more laughs compared to some of the recent ones. Thought the storylines all had some amusing moments and I suspect the Lenny scenes in particular and their part in the storyline went down well with those shippers compared to the recent angst they have experienced.

Starting with Raj as he was a main theme in this story and has been for a number of episodes recently. I am fully behind the concept of changing Raj but this storyline didn't particularly grab me much in terms of the whole Raj transformation tour which looks like is on the cards. For one it didn't seem that realistic that he couldn't afford to go to comic con. As far as i'm aware the tickets aren't that outrageous it's just a first come first serve system i.e. they go very quickly so they are hard to obtain and the accommodation probably costs the most but then they had a plan to do their usual all share a room. The event was several months away right? (one of the gang could have bought him a ticket then after selling his items paid them back) Raj could have Ebayed his stuff and got way more than $25 for some of his collection. Obviously this is just one of these times where sitcom reality is different from real life reality lol. Only other things to add is I laughed at Raj presumably dressed as Aquaman? I'll never forget that conversation Raj and Leaonrd had in 4A going through comics and Raj brought up the nerd question of 'Where does Aquaman poop?' lol (it was the episode when Howard got that robot hand stuck to his todger lol) and of course the time he had to wear it to a costume competition at the comic book store. Kind of a nice scene as well with all the gang at Howardette's giving up going as well but for different reasons, except Sheldon of course lol.

Less angst for Lenny in this one, they had banter and snark like the old times and there was poor communication between them with the Penny doesn't really want to go, Leonard doesn't really want her to go because he doesn't think she will enjoy it and they don't know how to tell the other etc. But it was for comedic effect not drama in this case. Probably their best interactions since The Veracity Elasticity. Fun, silly and nothing heavy.

Thought it was quite Shamy lite this week which I have no problem with as they have had a lot of great moments this season and I am fine to see them take a bit of a back seat. Found the tag funny especially Sheldon clearly trying to persuade her and Amy seeing right through it. Obviously being a male some of my opinions may slightly differ on the scene and it's appeal or what someone may take from it as enjoyable lol (sometimes I forget that when judging a scene!) Thought their best scene overall was from the hallway with Lenny and some funny dialogue there.

Shelnard bromance was on display tonight quite a bit and the first really enjoyable Shelnard stuff since Veracity Elasticity. Wish the writers would show more of that instead of bickering and snide comments directed towards each other but hey that's just me. By the same token PAmy continues to flourish, loved some of the dialogue that Penny and Amy have these days, just so good together from a comedy standpoint.

Really enjoyed Howardette in this one. Simon and Melissa are really underrated as a comedy couple, loved the quips from Bernie especially in the kitchen and it was funny to see Howard actually doing some things around the house so that he could be allowed to go to comic con. They seem to be able to do a great range of different types of scenes together.

It was so Stuart to pay 25 bucks for the items then sell each one for like 50 bucks lol. Good to see him in his store, speaking of realism if you are going to question Raj's financial situation Stuart's probably generates some questions as well lol.

Overall a fun episode, not the seasons's best but better than some of the more recent ones imo.

Edited by Jonny
luminous, HeWolf, mirs1 and 1 other like this

Posted

I'm of a split mind on this one.  The Lenny interaction, and their reasoning was sweet.  But, dammit, miscommunication again.  After a month of miscommunication, we get more of it.  Remember, the RA?  It was supposed to get Lenny to communicate?  Was supposed to fix things for them?  How it was a admission that the writers knew they screwed the relationship up and were going to fix it?  I didn't buy it then, and it was obvious , last night, he writers weren't thinking that.

Remember the tag of the the RA episode?  How Lenny were allowed to say things weren't fine?  It simply fucking didn't work last night.  The writers can't even remember something from a month ago.   I said at the time it was simply a way to force more Sheldon into the episode, rather than fix things for Lenny.   That appears even stronger, to me, after last night, when they didn't even use the fucking document they drew up less than a month ago.

The Shamy interaction, except for the tag, seemed off to me last night.  Mean rather than playful.  The less we say about Raj, the better.  

Posted (edited)

19 minutes ago, Tensor said:

I'm of a split mind on this one.  The Lenny interaction, and their reasoning was sweet.  But, dammit, miscommunication again.  After a month of miscommunication, we get more of it.  Remember, the RA?  It was supposed to get Lenny to communicate?  Was supposed to fix things for them?  How it was a admission that the writers knew they screwed the relationship up and were going to fix it?  I didn't buy it then, and it was obvious , last night, he writers weren't thinking that.

Remember the tag of the the RA episode?  How Lenny were allowed to say things weren't fine?  It simply fucking didn't work last night.  The writers can't even remember something from a month ago.   

Got to hold my hands up you were right on the RA I was wrong. It was a pointless plot device, unless they suddenly remember during these next what 6 tapings that they drafted one to help with things like a lack of communication. To be fair I was trying to keep an open mind on the whole thing but the writers just never explored it when IMO they could have done. Maybe whatever issues they have might have been fixed by now from a storyline perspective had they actually delved into it.

Edited by Jonny
bfm, JE7, April and 1 other like this

Posted

First off, thanks.

5 minutes ago, Jonny said:

It was a pointless plot device...

It wasn't pointless, as it did what I feel it was designed to do. It allowed the writers to get Sheldon to interfere in Lenny marriage, thus giving him more screen time.  

Zhalen565, veejay, legacy99 and 6 others like this

Posted

Overall was a nice and funny episode, funnier than last ones imo. I have really enjoyed the ensemble moment as the gang supported Raj's decision of not taking the money to SDCC, although imo the Raj plotline sounds a bit unrealistic as he could save money for  the event as it was a few months away yet. There are two options imo for we could see his economical state as realistic: or he would have had spent money with his exes in a way that it could soud as he had bought mansions and expensive cars for them or he might have wasted all his salaries in bets, porno or gamblibg in such schocking way, lol!

Seriously dunmo what really to think about Raj's money at the moment but at least it seems he is trying to do something wise about it.

I really liked Howardette gesture for help Raj . It is nice to see how close is their friendship. Cheers to friendships to the show.

I have enjoyed all couples interactions as I am a domestic bliss sucker and we have it from Howardette  and shamy. Lenny was very funny too, their banter  about  SDCC turned funny and sweet as well. Pammy scenes were very funny too, it is  nice to see Amy and Penny 's friendship now works equally, you know. Their talks are nice and close, which is very nice to see as their SO are friends too.

Tag scene was so silly but at same time so funny. Sheldon did not make it how hard he tried as Amy read through him miles away, lol! The way Jim and Mayim were keeping to have their faces straight was priceless! 

Stuart is the weirdest guy, lol! However he always have a laugh of mine, hehe!

Btw, kudos for Simon and Melissa as their  chemestry in scene is even better  every week. 

Looking foward to seeing next one.

HeWolf, Jonny, brilliantfool and 1 other like this

Posted

6 minutes ago, spidergirl said:

Pammy scenes were very funny too, it is  nice to see Amy and Penny 's friendship now works equally, you know. Their talks are nice and close, which is very nice to see as their SO are friends too.

Thank you for bringing this up because I forgot to mention how much I loved their scenes. Kaley and Mayim play well off each other. 

Jonny, amethyst, snapepans and 3 others like this

Posted

I found it funny and it was much better than the last three episodes. I gave it a very good which was perhaps not quite warranted but it was a big improvement. I'm not too worried about continuity or realism.
Perhaps Lenny will improve if they give each other more space to be themselves.

sdffcx and veejay like this

Posted

I thought this was mainly a writers' episode, in that there was a lot of very funny dialogue that didn't depend entirely on delivery and facial reactions. The writers did some very nice work for Bernadette in particular; looks as tho she's a pleasure to write.

Some beautifully understated acting by KC. A sitcom with serious relationships has to veer between farce and feeling, and KC gave us the feeling while still being funny. I thought the Lenny mutual misunderstanding about who wanted what was actually quite realistic.

Raj touting for Stuart in the aquaman costume was a particularly nice touch if you remember how Raj objected being stuck as aquaman when the guys went to some costume competition at Stuart's in an early season.

Sheldon-type quibble; Wally (as in where's) wears hooped shirts: striped shirts are like referees/umpires in American team games wear. Penny would have known that if Leonard didn't.

bfm likes this

Posted

I thought in the very last scene with S & A the writers suddenly dropped the ball. I'm not much of a fan of MB generally but I could really relate relate to her expression there which seemed to say "what am I supposed to do with this nonsense?".

Posted (edited)

I gave this an excellent rating.

The chat between Amy and Penny was great (we don't see just the two of them chatting much) and Stuart ripping off Raj was hilarious. Maybe it's revenge, for Raj not included Stuart in his Murder-Mystery nights, Scavenger Hunts, etc.

Pleased to see Raj finally starting to sort himself out.

Loved Sheldon's innuendo filled flirting in the tag.

On 2/24/2017 at 7:41 AM, Shelldon said:

Nobody can fucking stand jokes like this

Speak for yourself.

On 2/24/2017 at 5:10 PM, spidergirl said:

the Raj plot-line sounds a bit unrealistic as he could save money for  the event as it was a few months away yet.

But weren't the tickets going on sale just a few days later?

On 2/24/2017 at 5:10 PM, spidergirl said:

or he would have had spent money with his exes in a way that it could sound as he had bought mansions and expensive cars for them.

You mean like he was doing for deaf Emily?

Edited by Stephen Hawking

Posted (edited)

On 3/30/2017 at 9:19 PM, JohnPhD said:

Raj touting for Stuart in the aquaman costume was a particularly nice touch if you remember how Raj objected being stuck as aquaman when the guys went to some costume competition at Stuart's in an early season.

It was The Justice League Recombination.

It's probably kinda sad, how I can remember these episodes. :blush: 

Edited by Stephen Hawking
JohnPhD and bfm like this