Popular Pages on the Main Site:   Next Episode | Official Merchandise | Sheldon Quotes | Latest News | Episode Guide

Welcome to The Big Bang Theory Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

What makes Sheldon knock like that?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Flare

Flare

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 09:09 AM

What part of Sheldon's intellect drives him to knock the door like that?

What is the scientific explanation towards him believing this is the proper way to do so?

Is it that great minds like his believe that the most efficient method for having someone answer the door is to repeatedly knock and call their names? Can't say he's not successful.

#2 Irvine

Irvine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 09:20 AM

Funny criticism! Anyway:

1- Sheldon is a ''creature'' of habits''
2- For a few episodes in the first and the beginning of the second season, Sheldon repeatedly knocked on everyone's door until they answered, mostly out of stress.
3- When he did so, the one one the other side of the door answered mostly after three knocks.
Conclusion: He took the habit of knocking three times one everyone door!

Plus, it's funny, especcially with the many variables of it! ^_^

#3 ozblues

ozblues

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 05:59 AM

I've never figured it out, I'm hoping it may be explained somehow in a future Ep.

#4 Steve

Steve

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 01:46 PM

I've been working on a complete record of Sheldon's knocking habits on the wiki:

http://wiki.the-big-...nock,_Sheldon's

I haven't yet added last night's discussion about the knock, nor some of the more recent season 3 variations (such as Penny answering Sheldon's knock back at him), so it's not complete. Just thought you might find the entry interesting anyway.

Steve
The Wiki

#5 SmartbutSlow

SmartbutSlow

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 11:08 PM

Wasn't there a song at one time ......... "knock three times?"

Loved last night's show, especially Sheldon's new "not" girlfriend.

And finally, a newer and improved Penny. Will she turn into them??

#6 Sherminator

Sherminator

Senior Executive Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 06:30 AM

The famous scientist Tesla had an obsession about number three. The three knocks might be nod to his direction.

#7 mercyfaith

mercyfaith

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 12:12 PM

I loved the episode at the end of series three where Sheldon knocked on Penny's door and she knocked back. This kept going for some time before Penny opened the door yelling "What do you want?" I was in stiches. I think Sheldon does the three knocks as part of his OCD. Every thing has its place and must be done the same, hence so many time tables and schedules and his overt cleanliness routines. I think the three knocks fits into that somehow. Whatever the reason it is so funny.

#8 BillF63

BillF63

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 12:50 PM

I loved the episode at the end of series three where Sheldon knocked on Penny's door and she knocked back. This kept going for some time before Penny opened the door yelling "What do you want?" I was in stiches. I think Sheldon does the three knocks as part of his OCD. Every thing has its place and must be done the same, hence so many time tables and schedules and his overt cleanliness routines. I think the three knocks fits into that somehow. Whatever the reason it is so funny.

I thought Penny knocking back was very funny too. I do think the simplest answer is that his 3 knocks are due to his OCD. The proof is that he gets upset if this ritual is disturbed in any way.

#9 Sherminator

Sherminator

Senior Executive Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 05:04 AM

My Tesla theory gets some backup: In the DVD box cover for season 3, you can see some Tesla spheres!
-now it could be a coincidence, but then again, it may be intentional too!

#10 RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock

RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 06:08 PM

Well on record the first time he does it (we dont see until season 3 in the flashback ep) is when Leonard is hooking up with Joyce Kim. That incident couldve been the starting point for his habit.

#11 Steve

Steve

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 10:15 PM

Actually, the first time he does it is Lobenfeld Decay (season 1, episode 10), and then it's four knocks, not three. Before that episode he knocks differently. (He does knock on doors in episodes before that, but he doesn't use that signature pattern at all). What would become Sheldon's signature knock was undoubtedly a bit of throwaway "business" used in that episode which really worked and which they decided to keep.

Last spring they added the triple knock to the flashback episode as if he'd been doing it for years, trying to make as many of the events of 2003 foreshadow the events in current episodes as they could (since that's the kind of thing that makes those types of episodes so fun to watch). They did that for comic effect, and it's cool and all, but in fact it's a continuity error. Sheldon simply didn't knock like that before Lobenfeld Decay.

Steve
Who Knows Entirely Too Much About This Show

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users