Jump to content

Asperger's and Sheldon


Ryman1892
 Share

Recommended Posts

Advertisement

It doesn't pay to read up on things too much because it can spoil your enjoyment. I found the following on Asperger syndrome because I thought this might be the reason for Sheldon's behaviour...well read for yourself and make up your own mind. I found Sheldon really objectionable after this so I had to put it right out of my mind.  

Those with Asperger syndrome are often unable to pick up on social cues around them. They may fail to laugh or cry when a situation warrants these emotions, struggle to understand jokes, and take things literally. Someone with Asperger's may make comments inappropriate for the situation, or they may continue a conversation past a socially acceptable point, unaware of social "cues" given by those uncomfortable or disinterested in the conversation. This lack of awareness of another person's feelings is not intentional rudeness. Instead, neurologists think certain areas of the brain are structurally different in people with the disorder. One theory maintains that abnormal development of embryonic cells in utero affects the connectivity and final structure of the brain. This may cause alterations in the neural circuits that control behavior and cognition.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 6 months later...

Why objectionable? This explains a lot, and makes Sheldon even more likeable, because it confirms that he really doesn't mean to be rude, he's just not quite like most of us but he's a really good person. I've read about Asperger's too and agree he has a lot of its traits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The producers emphasized many times that Sheldon was not written as having Aspergers or any other diagnosible condition. Viewers continue to insist that he's on the Autism spectrum in order to suit their own interests or purpose. Maybe they just do it to make an often insufferable character more likeable. Sheldon very much means many of the mean, hurtful things he says. Sheldon doesn't insult other scientists and dismiss their work unaware of how offensive he's being. He doesn't demean Howard's work and education because he doesn't know any better. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, HeWolf said:

The producers emphasized many times that Sheldon was not written as having Aspergers or any other diagnosible condition. Viewers continue to insist that he's on the Autism spectrum in order to suit their own interests or purpose. Maybe they just do it to make an often insufferable character more likeable. Sheldon very much means many of the mean, hurtful things he says. Sheldon doesn't insult other scientists and dismiss their work unaware of how offensive he's being. He doesn't demean Howard's work and education because he doesn't know any better. 

Agree that Sheldon has many of the Aspergers traits. But one thing you say is true. His friends cover for him by saying he does not mean what comes out of his mouth, but in reality the hurtful  insults he says he truly knows what he is saying. There were many times he says inappropriate things and after a few moments tosses them aside as if they did not mean anything. In real life Sheldon would have been shunned with no friends

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I remember clearly him saying "I say what I mean and mean what I say". He knows what he is saying. He doesn't care if it's hurtful or not. Its the truth according to Sheldon. 

Edited by chucky

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, chucky said:

I remember clearly him saying "I say what I mean and mean what I say". He knows what he is saying. He doesn't care if it's hurtful or not. Its the truth according to Sheldon. 

You cannot tell me that all those remarks to Penny about her sexual history and promiscuity even when she was engaged and then married to Leonard he didn't know what he was saying?  They were so distasteful and insulting that I will never understand how Penny did not slap him in the face once in awhile. Also, I recall one scene where Sheldon was talking with Raj about his relationship agreement with Amy and he certainly knew what he was saying and doing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, Mario D. said:

You cannot tell me that all those remarks to Penny about her sexual history and promiscuity even when she was engaged and then married to Leonard he didn't know what he was saying?  They were so distasteful and insulting that I will never understand how Penny did not slap him in the face once in awhile. Also, I recall one scene where Sheldon was talking with Raj about his relationship agreement with Amy and he certainly knew what he was saying and doing.

In everyday life Penny would beaten him senseless and the gang would distance themselves from him. But alas, this is a sitcom. It's supposed to be funny. Sometimes it was but mostly , in my opinion,  it wasn't. 

Edited by chucky

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, chucky said:

In everyday life Penny would beaten him senseless and the gang would distance themselves from him. But alas, this is a sitcom. It's supposed to be funny. Sometimes it was but mostly , in my opinion,  it wasn't. 

Yes this was a comedy, but you are right some scenes and dialogue were in poor taste. As now I am watching all the reruns I have a hard time digesting Sheldon's attitude and overall obnoxiousness. You know if there were a 13th season without Sheldon the other characters storylines might have been more prominent without all the insults.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Mario D. said:

Yes this was a comedy, but you are right some scenes and dialogue were in poor taste. As now I am watching all the reruns I have a hard time digesting Sheldon's attitude and overall obnoxiousness. You know if there were a 13th season without Sheldon the other characters storylines might have been more prominent without all the insults.

I totally agree. Probably be a better show as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Well, you know, we all have our faults, there isn't a single person in this world who doesn't. I, for example, am hot tempered, absent minded and have OCD. I'm sure you have your faults too. And if our friends abandoned us just because of our faults, nobody would have friends and it would have been a very sad world indeed. Howard and all the rest say and do mean things to each other too, would they be better off without each other? Of course not. 'Let him who is without blame throw the first stone', do you remember this phrase ? And other thing, we often don't fully realize that our words hurt other people, I've been in such situation, everyone was. Consider this please. Peace to everyone.

Edited by Meri78
Correction

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 4 months later...
On 4/5/2022 at 9:50 AM, Mario D. said:

You cannot tell me that all those remarks to Penny about her sexual history and promiscuity even when she was engaged and then married to Leonard he didn't know what he was saying?  They were so distasteful and insulting that I will never understand how Penny did not slap him in the face once in awhile. Also, I recall one scene where Sheldon was talking with Raj about his relationship agreement with Amy and he certainly knew what he was saying and doing.

He also frequently insulted her level of intelligence. I know he did that to all of them, but Penny actually said to him, "You just see me as a blonde monkey, don't you"?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, TLW said:

He also frequently insulted her level of intelligence. I know he did that to all of them, but Penny actually said to him, "You just see me as a blonde monkey, don't you"?

Everyone of them had reasons belt him. Bernadette's reason was  saying Halley looked like Winston  Churchill.

Edited by chucky

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.