The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

4.16 The Cohabitation Formulation (Feb. 17)

I thought Bernadette and Howard got together because of their mothers.

Bernadette surprise at Howard's attachment to his mother doesn't fly.

Anyone else notice how happy Amy was when she went to 'console' Penny?

Amy didn't give a crap about Penny.

Raj needs to get back at Leonard for doing his sister. The obvious thing to do is Penny.

She wasn't surprised, but she does need more commitment from him at some point, if it's a long-term relationship. After all, she has a domineering mother too, but she's not running off from Howard every morning to do her mother's wig.

I'm sure that Amy was thinking more of the rhesus monkey than of Penny at that time, like a true scientist. However, both she and Sheldon were pretty caring towards Penny later, when she was really upset.

And you think Penny would agree to that? :)

From the synopsis this episode looked boring, but I really enjoyed when I actually watched it. Sheldon was spot on and had just the right amount of influence and the whole cast was involved, which is good. Bravo!

That's probably a reminder to us not to pre-judge. The writers are still capable of surprising us sometimes, good for them. The last two episodes almost made me feel as if they've been reading our discussions - they included many of the positive changes we wanted, like Leonard getting a more active presence, and Sheldon 'normalizing' somewhat to get back to his clueless sweetness.

lol, I wish she'd agree to that! Raj is the only guy without a girlfriend (or a girl who is a friend)! :p 'like to see that!

No, but seriously, something they must work on, its his selective mutism! I mean, sure, it was very funny when introduced, and it gives us some awesome moment (''Penny, can you come here a minute?'' ''Sure, what do you want?'' ''Nothing, I just wanted to make Raj stop talking'' HILARIOUS!), but now it seems they just put a bottle of bear in his hand as an excuse to be able to talk to the girls! More so now that there is three ladies in the group! I'm not saying it should be resolve after just one episode, maybe take a whole season, for a progressive recovery of his case, but it should be good!

As for Amy, I think she does actually care about Penny! Sure thing, she also considered it an opportunity for her esperiments, but Penny is her ''bestie'', and she came running to her as soon as she heard the bad news, she hugged her when Penny started crying... Considering she is a Sheldon with 5318008, that was big!

Which brings me to another point: I just love the whole Penny/Amy dynamic! I mean, where Sheldon really have a snarky attitude toward Penny for her lack of scientifical intelligence, Amy doesn't care about that, and befriends her very well! That's really nice in my opinion! :)

Howard was just plain pathetic here. His attachment to his mom has gotten creepier and creepier. For me it just isn't funny anymore. The writers are attempting to justify it with his mom having health problems. That might work for me if Howard didn't act like a dependant. While Bernadette's mom smothers her she at least has some independence from her and doesn't become childlike around her. Howard needs to grow up and soon or Bernadette is going to get sick and tired of this nonsense and dump him.

From the synopsis this episode looked boring, but I really enjoyed when I actually watched it. Sheldon was spot on and had just the right amount of influence and the whole cast was involved, which is good. Bravo!

That's probably a reminder to us not to pre-judge. The writers are still capable of surprising us sometimes, good for them. The last two episodes almost made me feel as if they've been reading our discussions - they included many of the positive changes we wanted, like Leonard getting a more active presence, and Sheldon 'normalizing' somewhat to get back to his clueless sweetness.

You're right of course, and really I didn't find that the focal point of the story... but yeah per the last few episodes you can understand why one would have a negative idea by the synopsis :p

No, but seriously, something they must work on, its his selective mutism! I mean, sure, it was very funny when introduced, and it gives us some awesome moment (''Penny, can you come here a minute?'' ''Sure, what do you want?'' ''Nothing, I just wanted to make Raj stop talking'' HILARIOUS!), but now it seems they just put a bottle of bear in his hand as an excuse to be able to talk to the girls! More so now that there is three ladies in the group! I'm not saying it should be resolve after just one episode, maybe take a whole season, for a progressive recovery of his case, but it should be good!

Considering she is a Sheldon with 5318008, that was big!

I've thought of that many times, and wondered how the writers might manage it. I think that, rather than a gradual recovery, I would visualize a scenario like something dramatic happening, in which Raj just has to speak in front of everyone, and somehow he blurts out his comment in the heat of the moment - only to discover that his selective mutism is healed after that, because he got over that internal block once. Does that sound more plausible?

I agree that Amy does care about Penny, in her own odd way. She's clearly drawn to her, as a person, though she probably doesn't even know why herself.

Loved that last comment. :)

I think that the show could do without Amy and Raj's sister. They just water down the other characters and make them alot less funny. Furthermore they aren't funny, unlike Zac who is a welcome comedic addition.

Reading through the posts for this season at times it seems like we're discussing a soap opera rather than a comedy.

The show has definitely lost its edge.

To make Leonard a ladies man is a total departure from what made the show funny in the first place and frankly a bit cheesy.

anyway, I'm sure many will disagree but I don't care about the developing emotional relationships. I wanna' laugh like I used to with TBBT.

Reading through the posts for this season at times it seems like we're discussing a soap opera rather than a comedy.

You're very right. The problem, though, is shippers vs anti-shipper. You have those who really want a relationship between two people and those who really don't want a relationship between two people.

Amy is very funny, at least to me now. Her scenes with Penny have me in splits.

Priya isn't, but I guess she's just a plot device - and she isn't going to hang around for long, she's a guest artiste.

I guess portraying a set of characters for years and not having any of them get into relationships wouldn't have been completely realistic. I agree that the writers often seem unsure or inconsistent on the Leonard character, as well as the Leonard-Penny thing. That has become the weak link in the characterization.

As Incognito pointed out, the comments and discussions very often go far beyond the degree of seriousness or drama with which things are actually portrayed in the show. I sometimes even catch myself doing that, and then tell myself I'm probably overthinking.

Anyway, I'm still laughing with the show, so I'm happy. :)

anyway, I'm sure many will disagree but I don't care about the developing emotional relationships. I wanna' laugh like I used to with TBBT.

Seconded, and I totally agree with everything you said.

I think that the show could do without Amy and Raj's sister. They just water down the other characters and make them alot less funny. Furthermore they aren't funny, unlike Zac who is a welcome comedic addition.

The show has definitely lost its edge.

To make Leonard a ladies man is a total departure from what made the show funny in the first place and frankly a bit cheesy.

I totally agree with everything you wrote!! We need TBBT back :icon_cry:

I did not quite like this episode, and I have to admit, I do not like Amy. She just does not fit in the show, she's totally redundant, at least for me. On the other side, Bernadette's character is brilliant - the relationship with Howard is so funny and interesting, and I'm so curious as how that will develop in the future. They were the best part of this episode, and, of course, Raj. Raj is always funny and never fails, at least to me, and if the authors choose to "find" him a partner, I hope from the bottom of my heart she (or he - remember "ersatz homosexual marriage" :D) won't be similar to Amy.

Chuck Lorre and his gang are priceless. However, those unfamiliar with probable outcome equations may find coincidences in TBBT and previous sitcoms.

Howard and his mother yell all the time. George and his parents yelled all the time.

Penny and Leonard behave a lot like; Sam and Diane, Niles and Daphne, Ross and Rachel.

Pria behaves like Emily and we all came to hate Emily. Pria and Emily both speak with roughly the same accent.

Essentially the show seems to be evolving into a Friends.

I love the show, but I think the writers could do better.

Chuck Lorre and his gang are priceless. However, those unfamiliar with probable outcome equations may find coincidences in TBBT and previous sitcoms.

Howard and his mother yell all the time. George and his parents yelled all the time.

Penny and Leonard behave a lot like; Sam and Diane, Niles and Daphne, Ross and Rachel.

Pria behaves like Emily and we all came to hate Emily. Pria and Emily both speak with roughly the same accent.

Essentially the show seems to be evolving into a Friends.

I love the show, but I think the writers could do better.

Yeah I agree, it's not perfect, but definately the best sitcom at the moment. This latest season is a bit meh... I've actually had much more laughs with House recently, it's alot funnier and not even a comedy per se. I still eagerly await each episode of TBBT and I do still like it... but it is getting old. Very gradually.

If all penny wanted was sex she wouldn't had been dated Leonard or used him for sex it would be the tall, muscular handsome guys she dated before

Penny has already done her own hurting, of course the only reason she's feeling like this now is becaus e Leonard has found a more desirable mate

This episode is the best of season 4. It's hilariously funny with some heartfelt moments. The moment at the end with Amy, Sheldon, and Penny is sweet.

I think season 4 was the best of all the seasons. It stays true to the original premise of the show but branches out to some more emotional territory. I know I'm probably alone in that thought from reading others posts.

I like the interaction between Raj and his sister. Do you see the funny look she gives Raj when he acts all possessive at the table at The Cheesecake Factory.

No seson 4 was the worst I'd almost say at times they got away from the premise of the show, season 1-2 is about the premise of the show

FINALLY! How long have I begged the writers to let Penny do a little hurting? It's seriously degrading for a guy to run to a girl who barely appreciates him and only uses him for sex. Make it sting, Leonard!

Well considering Leonard is only attracted to Penny because she's hot how's this different, not sure Penny used Leonard for sex.

I can only imagine Priya's reaction or impression of Penny when introduced to her and found out her and Leonard dated.

The moment at the end with Amy, Sheldon, and Penny is sweet.

I agree. This is a rare scene where the two most socially awkward characters on the show become very human and bring comfort to Penny. When Penny said she didn't want tea, and Sheldon said it wasn't optional, that smile Penny had on her face was priceless. It said to me that she was really touched by Sheldon and Amy's sincere intentions and that despite their quirkiness, they are true friends.

This episode is the best of season 4. It's hilariously funny with some heartfelt moments. The moment at the end with Amy, Sheldon, and Penny is sweet.

I think season 4 was the best of all the seasons. It stays true to the original premise of the show but branches out to some more emotional territory. I know I'm probably alone in that thought from reading others posts.

I like the interaction between Raj and his sister. Do you see the funny look she gives Raj when he acts all possessive at the table at The Cheesecake Factory.

Seasons 3 and 4 are my favorites.

Guest I'm not dead Cheryl

I agree. This is a rare scene where the two most socially awkward characters on the show become very human and bring comfort to Penny. When Penny said she didn't want tea, and Sheldon said it wasn't optional, that smile Penny had on her face was priceless. It said to me that she was really touched by Sheldon and Amy's sincere intentions and that despite their quirkiness, they are true friends.

Completely agree, the tag of the episode was really sweet and it was good to show how great friends both Amy and Sheldon can be to Penny and a nice way to show why they are friends.

Completely agree, the tag of the episode was really sweet and it was good to show how great friends both Amy and Sheldon can be to Penny and a nice way to show why they are friends.

It was one of my all time favorite moments. To have these two odd people prove to be Penny's best friends at that moment, when she was really in need of comfort, and there was no one else to provide it.. really sweet and touching.