The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

4.17 The Toast Derivation (Feb. 24)

Just to switch topic but still stay on the Toast episode, a question to the girls on the forum only:

Who among you owns an electric toothbrush? ^_^ LOL

Ok, guys can answer, too, but honestly, that I don't want to know! LOL :p

I think there are far more efficient ways to... *ahem* "Clean your teeth"

This was seriously the worst TBBT episode ever... Even worse than the last week's one. I know, who would have ever guessed that was even possible?!

I absolutely loved the "Penny as Spock & Shelly as his mother" episode, and for me, it all went downhill from there...

I think it's become too mix & match, you just can't force all the characters into one single episode and make it work. It's not witty, it's not funny, did anyone even laugh during The Toast Derivation? Like, seriously, did anyone manage to laugh?

Sheldon-centered episodes imo are the best ones, since Sheldon is def the most defined and funniest character in the show..

The show really used to be a great laugh from 1st to last minute and I still have high hopes for it, but Priya, Leonard, Howard & Rajesh sitting on the couch and eating just doesn't cut it for me...

Do you think they will just keep piling on the characters and removing everything we used to love about The Big Bang Theory in the first place?

Let's face it, it was mostly about Sheldon & Leonard and their little geeky world & Penny across the hall etc., and the episodes really used to have some kind of a storyline that made sense and evolved through the episode. (I love trains!)

Anyone else feeling depressed?

:icon_cry:

It's not just the piling on of the characters, but the characters that they choose to pile on.

I'd prefer to see Leslie, Zac and Stuart....at least they're funny.

How believable and more importantly how funny is it that Leonard gets all the hot girls....as compared to the loser he was with his more appropriate (and believable) girlfriends like Leslie and the doctor from season two?

Well, I find it just as witty and funny as ever, the writers haven't lost their touch regarding that (to me, at least). It's a matter of opinion I guess. Yes, it's become a little less 'geek stuff' oriented and a little more relationship-oriented than before, and some people (especially the old loyal fans) don't like that. But I felt it to be a natural evolution.. a group of guys who we're seeing over 4 years (even if they're scientists) couldn't just be in 'dreaming about girls' mode all their lives. At some point they would transition to 'being with girls' mode.

How believable and more importantly how funny is it that Leonard gets all the hot girls....as compared to the loser he was with his more appropriate (and believable) girlfriends like Leslie and the doctor from season two?

I'm a little confused about this. Where do you people see Leonard getting all these hot girls? The only girl he's got is Priya, and even she, though hot, is partly a geeky girl herself, being a lawyer. He did not get Penny. Which other hot girl did he get, over this season - unless you're counting Mrs.Latham?

Let me remark that Leonard-Penny relations as well as social "non-adequacy" of Sheldon and "scientific" jokes are main storylines and features of the show from the very beginning. I don't think that the authors will exclude any of them. Although they can not resolve the relations completely simply because 3 more seasons are expected. :-)

I am afraid that the level of show is decreasing due to the wider audience. In particular, pretty good tradition of jokes around science is partially replaced with teenager's jokes around sex, etc. It's pity...

However, in my opinion the heroes are changing. Penny, a smart girl with a very limited education, can not date stupid guys anymore. The influence of the neighbors (and Leonard!) is evident. Leonard, a normal young man (with certain psychological problems), thanks to Penny, is efficiently learning girls. And it's nice that we see these changes. This does not contradict to the general comedy style, but makes it into a somewhat more interesting show. I predict that Penny will need Leonard and the other way around and that's something I like to see, because it's psychologically interesting and well-motivated, provided the value of jokes will come back to the original level.

He did not get Penny.

Well, not now. Not completely. :) But it is obvious from several episodes that Penny has serious feelings and Leonard is deeply in her brains. And, what is important, she is not the same girl as in the 1st series of the 1st season as well as Leonard is not the same geek as he was.

Let's see, we'll observe a lot of up-and-downs during the next seasons until the end of show.

Sheldon-centered episodes imo are the best ones' date=' since Sheldon is def the most defined and funniest character in the show..[/quote']

I really don't like episodes centred on Sheldon to be honest, just because he always ends up being very overbearing and annoying, as if he's some kind of child. I think it's much better when the core is all doing something together. (i.e the boys and Penny). I really feel that this is what has been lost to the series recently, aswell as the main characters being watered down. Episodes like the last one are the way to go with Sheldon being the main focus imo.

Just my tuppence.

Another dud. This season had such potential, I hoped, what with the addition of Amy Farrah Fowler. I keep hoping things will improve, but there aren't many episodes left to make improvements. Very unlikely that I will spring for this season on DVD.

Sheldon-centered episodes imo are the best ones' date=' since Sheldon is def the most defined and funniest character in the show..[/quote']

I really don't like episodes centred on Sheldon to be honest, just because he always ends up being very overbearing and annoying, as if he's some kind of child. I think it's much better when the core is all doing something together. (i.e the boys and Penny). I really feel that this is what has been lost to the series recently, aswell as the main characters being watered down. Episodes like the last one are the way to go with Sheldon being the main focus imo.

I agree. That was the main problem which affected the second half of the third season (except for the priceless 'Staircase Implementation'). I feel that Season 4 has improved in that respect, in general. I also think that having a couple of new characters has helped, rather than harmed the show.. it gives the writers more to play with, and they're doing it quite well lately.

This episode was extremely funny, and exposed the gang's true feelings toward Sheldon's accompaniment

I'm quite surprised to see that quite a few people hated the last few episodes, whereas alot of us (including myself) liked them. Perhaps our expectations are too low now? :p

This episode was extremely funny, and exposed the gang's true feelings toward Sheldon's accompaniment

I'm quite surprised to see that quite a few people hated the last few episodes, whereas alot of us (including myself) liked them. Perhaps our expectations are too low now? :p

As am i. The only 4th season episode i did not like was the Thespian Catalyst. The episode just felt weird to me.

As am i. The only 4th season episode i did not like was the Thespian Catalyst. The episode just felt weird to me.

I think the only 4th season episodes i really really disliked were The Cohabitation Formulation and The Toast Derivation.

There could have been others, but they didn't depress me as much as those two did. :icon_cheesygrin:

The Thespian Catalyst sure was a bit weird, I only liked it because of Shelly & Penny parts.. I agree that the Raj's daydreams were a bit off. :icon_eek:

Certainly, and i found it confusing that they never referred back to Raj liking bernadette :o i want to see an episode where Raj confesses to Howard that he is being bothered by recent dreams of Burnadette.

I think the only 4th season episodes i really really disliked were The Cohabitation Formulation and The Toast Derivation.

There could have been others, but they didn't depress me as much as those two did. :icon_cheesygrin:

The Thespian Catalyst sure was a bit weird, I only liked it because of Shelly & Penny parts.. I agree that the Raj's daydreams were a bit off. :icon_eek:

I really liked Cohabitation Formulation and Toast Derivation (as well as Benefactor Factor), for reasons already outlined. Maybe those who disliked them had a specific reason for feeling that way.. they don't like the 'overpopulation' of characters, or they don't agree with the Leonard/Priya/Penny situation. Else these episodes were certainly very entertaining.

I really liked Cohabitation Formulation and Toast Derivation (as well as Benefactor Factor), for reasons already outlined. Maybe those who disliked them had a specific reason for feeling that way.. they don't like the 'overpopulation' of characters, or they don't agree with the Leonard/Priya/Penny situation. Else these episodes were certainly very entertaining.

Yeah as someone else already said, Leonard as a ladies man is just stupid as a premise, but I liked those episodes too as it wasn't focal on him being an irresistable stud (lol). I think some people like Sheldon to be the focal point, perhaps that's why they didn't like those episodes. In which case there are obvious devides with who likes what episodes. It does seem, however, pretty unanimous that season 4 is the worst season so far. :icon_lol:

I don't know, guys... I mean, there is not many episode that ''marks'' me as it used to before. The Panty-Pinata episode, one of my favorite, yet very Sheldon/Penny centric, right? Or that one where they all play in that quiz game? Awesome!

Lately, not many episodes that just go up there and will be in some kind of ''top 10''. That, I agree with you guys.

On the other hand, I still find the episodes of the season absolutely hilarious! Just not as hilarious as they used to be! Hilarious nonetheless! Loving the whole Penny/Amy relationship, which is kinda what Penny and Sheldon would be like if they were getting along! LOL ^_^ And I'm 100% pro Leonard/Penny!

I do miss Leslie, thought. That one was a heck of a great character! She should have been part of Sheldon's guest! :p

The "Bat Jar Conjecture" (Physics Bowl episode) was one of my favourite episodes, and there were no Shenny moments. :icon_eek: And, while I'm steadily beginning to like Amy (quite a lot, actually), I do miss Sheldon and Penny's comedic moments: arguing, staring each other down, singing soft kitty, etc. :icon_cry: The good ol' days...

I miss Leslie, too. I hope they bring her back. She's great for burning Dr Dumbass - I mean, Sheldon.

The "Bat Jar Conjecture" (Physics Bowl episode) was one of my favourite episodes, and there were no Shenny moments. :icon_eek: And, while I'm steadily beginning to like Amy (quite a lot, actually), I do miss Sheldon and Penny's comedic moments: arguing, staring each other down, singing soft kitty, etc. :icon_cry: The good ol' days...

I miss Leslie, too. I hope they bring her back. She's great for burning Dr Dumbass - I mean, Sheldon.

I think that it's because "The Bat Jar Conjecture" was about Sheldon being Sheldon but not overwhelmingly focusing on just how irritating they can make him. The Bus Pants Utilisation" for example... I did not enjoy that at all, yet it's the same subject.

Yeah Leslie is good at putting Sheldon in his place but I don't think she is essential for that

I think that it's because "The Bat Jar Conjecture" was about Sheldon being Sheldon but not overwhelmingly focusing on just how irritating they can make him. The Bus Pants Utilisation" for example... I did not enjoy that at all, yet it's the same subject.

Yeah Leslie is good at putting Sheldon in his place but I don't think she is essential for that

Uh ... Okay? I had no idea that my statement of personal preference for Leslie was up for debate.

Uh ... Okay? I had no idea that my statement of personal preference for Leslie was up for debate.

I was just responding to the bit where you said that she was good at burning Sheldon, I didn't mean to cause offense.

Is it unanimous that this season is the worst? I'm definitely enjoying season 4 more than season 3 (on average), and considerably so for the last few episodes. Season 3 had a few stand-out wonderful episodes - Pirate Solution, Adhesive Duck, Gorilla Experiment, Staircase Implementation - but much of it was rather ho-hum (IMO), especially the Leonard/Penny parts. I've seen some others also say they're liking 4 more than 3. Seasons 1 and 2, of course, had their own charm, and a rather different kind of charm it was.

While I love the 'Shenny' scenes, I'm finding the Shenny/Amy scenes very interesting, too, in a different way. But the reason I liked Thespian Catalyst is that it had a bit of the old Shenny chemistry going on, in the 'acting lesson' situation.

I was just responding to the bit where you said that she was good at burning Sheldon, I didn't mean to cause offense.

Anyway, in my opinion, I think Leslie and Wheaton are the best at burning Sheldon, and I miss their presence on the show. I will be made content if there are some Sheldon/Zack moments to come in the near future, though. :D

Kripke is also a pretty good Sheldon-burner, I'd say! The radio interview is one perfect exemple of that, and added some hilarious Raj moments afterward, when they try to ''cheer up'' Sheldon! :p Althought, considering when he was introduced, I'd say he was to be a Leslie replacement, and he's seriously not as great as Leslie was!

Kripke is also a pretty good Sheldon-burner, I'd say! The radio interview is one perfect exemple of that, and added some hilarious Raj moments afterward, when they try to ''cheer up'' Sheldon! :p Althought, considering when he was introduced, I'd say he was to be a Leslie replacement, and he's seriously not as great as Leslie was!

I was thinking about Kripke too actually, and I agree he's not as good as Leslie. Or Wheaton actually.

I was thinking about Kripke too actually, and I agree he's not as good as Leslie. Or Wheaton actually.

I like Leslie best, as Sheldon nemesis. The 'there are no incorrect equations on my board' come-back always has me clapping. :)