The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

4.17 The Toast Derivation (Feb. 24)

Kripke is also a pretty good Sheldon-burner, I'd say! The radio interview is one perfect exemple of that, and added some hilarious Raj moments afterward, when they try to ''cheer up'' Sheldon! :p Althought, considering when he was introduced, I'd say he was to be a Leslie replacement, and he's seriously not as great as Leslie was!

I was thinking about Kripke too actually, and I agree he's not as good as Leslie. Or Wheaton actually.

I like Leslie best, as Sheldon nemesis. The 'there are no incorrect equations on my board' come-back always has me clapping. :)

Yeah that was a good come-back. But seeing as she is a Quantum Loop gravity theorist, you'd probably not be able to take her at her word when she says that her board is correct :p. Think of the children!

I like Leslie best, as Sheldon nemesis. The 'there are no incorrect equations on my board' come-back always has me clapping. :)

Yeah that was a good come-back. But seeing as she is a Quantum Loop gravity theorist, you'd probably not be able to take her at her word when she says that her board is correct :p. Think of the children!

I could claim that if I were a 'String Theory over Loop Gravity' believer myself, but not being qualified to have an opinion (although I do happen to be in particle physics, but not at that level), I'll have to say that her board and Sheldon's board have an equal probability of being correct. :p

I could claim that if I were a 'String Theory over Loop Gravity' believer myself, but not being qualified to have an opinion (although I do happen to be in particle physics, but not at that level), I'll have to say that her board and Sheldon's board have an equal probability of being correct. :p

Well in theoretical physics nothing is proven really I guess... it gets too complicated for me especially as I'm bad at maths, but I do grasp the concepts. I guess it's just what seems more logical for you. No one is right or wrong when it's theoretical.

Well in theoretical physics nothing is proven really I guess... it gets too complicated for me especially as I'm bad at maths, but I do grasp the concepts. I guess it's just what seems more logical for you. No one is right or wrong when it's theoretical.

Don't be silly, of course it has to be proven. :icon_eek:

That's why the string theory is so controversial - it could probably "never" be (experimentally) proven.

Some scientists think there are ways to prove it, but.. you know :icon_cheesygrin: we can't see all the extra dimensions, we can't find the microscopic black holes... Our technology sucks. :icon_cry:

Not to mention we can't even properly time travel because none of our transportation devices are able to approach the speed of light.

I think we need Howie to start working on that. Sure, he doesn't have a PhD, but he could try :p Wow that was a bit offtopic.

That's why the string theory is so controversial - it could probably "never" be (experimentally) proven.

Some scientists think there are ways to prove it, but.. you know :icon_cheesygrin: we can't see all the extra dimensions, we can't find the microscopic black holes... Our technology sucks. :icon_cry:

Not to mention we can't even properly time travel because none of our transportation devices are able to approach the speed of light.

I think we need Howie to start working on that. Sure, he doesn't have a PhD, but he could try :p Wow that was a bit offtopic.

I didn't say that it doesnt have to be proven, I meant that while it is in the realm of theoretical physics, it hasn't been proven (yet). Yeah it's hard to prove things when they are on quantum scales, as we cant visually see them.

As for time travel, it has already been proven with GPS satellites as their atomic clocks were running slightly faster than ones on earth - i.e time for us on the planet was moving a little slower. Quite interesting really. If we could approach anything near the speed of light, space travel would be possible, as you are travelling quickly AND time slows down for you dramatically at those speeds. I think they said that travelling at 99.9% the speed of light, one could get to Proxima Centari within 3 weeks or something, 45 days if you went there and came straight back (for the passengers), which is over 8 years of static time. Win win for us. :)

I didn't say that it doesnt have to be proven, I meant that while it is in the realm of theoretical physics, it hasn't been proven (yet). Yeah it's hard to prove things when they are on quantum scales, as we cant visually see them.

As for time travel, it has already been proven with GPS satellites as their atomic clocks were running slightly faster than ones on earth - i.e time for us on the planet was moving a little slower. Quite interesting really. If we could approach anything near the speed of light, space travel would be possible, as you are travelling quickly AND time slows down for you dramatically at those speeds. I think they said that travelling at 99.9% the speed of light, one could get to Proxima Centari within 3 weeks or something, 45 days if you went there and came straight back (for the passengers), which is over 8 years of static time. Win win for us. :)

It's all about not being technically qualified at present to reach those high energies, those high speeds and so on. So hypothetically, proving or disproving string theory is possible (if we can reach Planck energy scales experimentally), and travelling at near speed of light is also possible. It's just that it's hard to envisage that right now. Yes, time dilation per se has been experimentally verified.

And no, I don't think it's off topic at all. How can talking of string theory or time travel be off-topic on a BBT board? It might be off-topic if we talked of shoes. :)

It's all about not being technically qualified at present to reach those high energies, those high speeds and so on. So hypothetically, proving or disproving string theory is possible (if we can reach Planck energy scales experimentally), and travelling at near speed of light is also possible. It's just that it's hard to envisage that right now. Yes, time dilation per se has been experimentally verified.

And no, I don't think it's off topic at all. How can talking of string theory or time travel be off-topic on a BBT board? It might be off-topic if we talked of shoes. :)

Well Penny likes shoes so maybe not ;)

But I agree, not off topic at all.

You know, I really find myself wondering what happened with that app! Both of them.

You know, I really find myself wondering what happened with that app! Both of them.

I'm guessing that a few dozen guys signed for the equation app, and their interest gradually bled away, while Penny's shoe app was bought by Bernadette if she actually got around to finishing it. :p

I'm guessing that a few dozen guys signed for the equation app, and their interest gradually bled away, while Penny's shoe app was bought by Bernadette if she actually got around to finishing it. :p

Likely. I might have envisaged a more lucrative outcome for the show app, though, given proper marketing and distribution channels. :)

Dont know if anybody else noticed that during this episode it sounded like Jim had a cold and was trying to disguise, Sheldons voice was notably different

Sheldon stops using the letter M, pronouncing misguided, moronic and madness without the letter M, but then uses the word "I'm", and pronounces the letter M.