The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
aprotosimaki

The show is starting to lose it

I have been a fan of this show since the very beginning but I must say not only has the writing become stale but the tried and tested formula of adding gf's for the various characters has been for the most part a complete flop. I particularly detest Amy Fowler as Sheldon's girlfriend. She is utterly painful to watch. I think the fundamental problem is that she is too like Sheldon albeit with a layer of juvenile sexual confusion. She is simply not funny nor particularly believable. She is really nothing more than a clown. Sheldon needs a foil not a reflection. Why not hook him up with a hippy humanities chick? Opposites attract but more vitally conflict opens the door to genuine humor.

In the same light Howard was far more interesting as a guy on the prowl rather than as a person in a stultifying relationship with Bernadette. I cannot recall one funny scene with the two of them. Bland and banal comes to mind. ( Simon Helberg is actually one of the strongest actors on the show; he is quite brilliant.)

Sorry but unless the show improves dramatically I will recall it has having three good seasons, the first two being very strong. The rest is lapsing into nonsense or vapid predictability.

I have another opinion.

I don`t think the show is starting to loose it.

Amy: I love her! She is so funny together with Sheldon and I always love to say Shamy (and its so funny that Amy doesn`t like it when Penny sais that *hihi* ) xD For me she is not a clown for me she is a female version of Sheldon :D And: I also love her together with Penny, ´cause they booth are so different. (Mayim Bialik plays Amy which such a straight face and even the funny scenes and thats what makes her scenes so amusing :D)

Bernadette & Howard: So cute! Howard is still funny. And he wanted Bernadette.

The next epsiode which is comming up today on CBS will be a really good one. I can`t wait to see it.

All in all I think that all the characters have developed especially Penny ´cause she´s hanging out with the guys since four years now and also her realtionship with Leonard maybe made her a little geeky :D

And Pennys friend Zack is so cool :D Have to say he´s the funniest of Pennys "macho"- friends :D

I don`t know just amusing that guy :D

And not everything can stay like it was at the beginning of the show. The show had to develop.

The authors now what they´re doing I trust them.

But that´s just how I feel.

Maybe not everybody likes it but whatever. It would be boring, when we all would have the same opinion.

Listen, dude. Sheldon has NO need for a romance! He has NEVER been interested in women. He will NEVER have a girlfriend. No offence, but Sheldon getting a girlfriend would ruin everything about the show!

Listen, dude. Sheldon has NO need for a romance! He has NEVER been interested in women. He will NEVER have a girlfriend. No offence, but Sheldon getting a girlfriend would ruin everything about the show!

Amy is his girlfriend, though. Lol. Yes, I doubt he will ever be romantic with a girl, outside a dream/nightmare sequence.

Amy is a girl she is Sheldons friend, but she is not Sheldons girlfriend :D

Love that when Sheldon always said that :D *haha* So funny :D Right Incognito only in a drem/nightmare sequence Sheldon would have a girlfriend :D Would be cool to see such a sequence in one epsiode :D *haha*

I understand that it's a let down when expectation set by the early seasons (..well... early ... ok... there's only 4) are not fulfilled, but basically I think that there is a need for character development... keeping the guys as they are all the time wouldn't work in the long run. Granted though, that throwing Sheldon in with a ... female... is a big step, but I'm hoping that it will become basis for some good Sheldonian insights in the nature of relationships and all that stuff, i.e. setting up some good lines about relationships (even ones as odd as The Shamy) and their bumps and pitfalls...

To be honest, aproto is right saying the show flatens from episode to episode. It seems, the geeks become more and more usual having too much influence from outside. Having one "big love story" with Penny and Lennart would really be enough. Sheldons "girl" perhaps fits, but it's not really funny. Would be really better, if the hottest chicks try it and for sure - only to be ignored.

They should stay nerds having here and there some short affairs, but not more. Howard is only good having no luck with the girls. Perhaps Ray could get some piece of the cake, but also nothing special. He's dreaming of Bernadette - could this be another brick in the wall soon? I like Bernadette, but is the character good for the show?

Scenes like the recalls of Lennart when he moved to Sheldon are a great idea. It's easier to make outstanding comedy getting rid of too much serious relationships.

No matter what happens, there will be people who like and don't like the show.

/shrug

Welcome to life.

They retain the same quality of humor in their writings. They're keeping the same main characters with little real change in their lives/situations. They're still keeping the same comic/gamer/computer humor mixed in to the episodes.

It's still the same show in damn near all ways. If your only complaint is the addition of one or two minor role characters after several years, then I really don't see that you have much to complain about.

Go buy the first 2 seasons on DVD and hit repeat.

The show has to change or it will become stale and stagnant. I like the direction the show is going. I still think it is very funny and I am going to continue to watch.

The show has to change or it will become stale and stagnant. I like the direction the show is going. I still think it is very funny and I am going to continue to watch.

I'm right there with you Bill

No matter what happens, there will be people who like and don't like the show.

/shrug

Welcome to life.

They retain the same quality of humor in their writings. They're keeping the same main characters with little real change in their lives/situations. They're still keeping the same comic/gamer/computer humor mixed in to the episodes.

It's still the same show in damn near all ways. If your only complaint is the addition of one or two minor role characters after several years, then I really don't see that you have much to complain about.

Go buy the first 2 seasons on DVD and hit repeat.

I completely agree with Bill and the above.

I would like to add that I am enjoying this season more than season 3.. there is more ensemble interaction than there was last season. And I think that after the 'Cohabitation Formulation' episode, most people (even former Amy-haters) have started accepting that after a shaky start, Amy's character is really settling into solid footing on the show. The writers have to be given credit for developing it. She is NOT just a female Sheldon - they have crucial differences, like her being more interested in human interaction than he is, and being just that bit more practical about the real world. And she is similar enough to him to 'speak his language', so she can explain things to him and even influence him. Their interaction is sweet to see. Also, the Penny-Amy scenes are hilarious.

I still don't get why they brought Amy into it, I find her to be an irritating and 1 dimensional character. It feels like the writers are trying to make her into the female equivelant of Sheldon, when the whole point of Sheldons character, is that HE thinks he is better than everyone else and there is no-one like him, thats part of the charm that makes the show what it is. I'm surprised no-ones noticed that Amy is just a younger version of Leonards Mother!!!

I think the writers would have been better bringing in a friend of Pennys into it, rather than another "Nerd" who is not really adding anything to the show. Bernadette is okay, but I think they should have played out a " will they or won't they" kind of thing with her and Howard, because I think his witty innuendos and blatant lust for any female is a big part of the shows appeal.

But the number one rule of writing a sitcom is not changing it too much. Maybe the supporting cast from the beginning should be brought back, ie, Kripke, Stuart and Leslie as they fitted in a lot better than Amy does.

I just hope they don't decide to "show" Howards mother!!

All just my opinion of course.

It's in the 4th season now, and if it had stayed the same with them not meeting and getting girlfriends, and they were still the same group who did their nerdy stuff, my god it would have become boring by now!!

It had to have some changes and develop the characters, and what better way for them to evolve than to meet the girls and have those relationships, and go through all that.

I think this last episode demonstrates how the show has grown and how it is still good and relevant.

This show must have been one episode crammed with many characters. The core group...Leonard, Sheldon, Raj, Howard and Penny were all pretty much split up for this episode. We had Howard, Raj, Leonard and Priya. Then we also followed Penny, Amy and Bernadette and Sheldon and his "new friends Zach (he's great I hope they keep him in the show) Stewart and Kripke were together. Despite this diversity and the core group now mixed with others this was a very funny episode.

To me I have an interest in the characters and I want to see them develop and see what happens in their lives.

If the show had just stayed with Sheldon, Leonard, Howard, Raj and Penny eating Chinese food and playing video games the show would have died a while ago.

I still don't get why they brought Amy into it, I find her to be an irritating and 1 dimensional character. It feels like the writers are trying to make her into the female equivelant of Sheldon, when the whole point of Sheldons character, is that HE thinks he is better than everyone else and there is no-one like him, thats part of the charm that makes the show what it is. I'm surprised no-ones noticed that Amy is just a younger version of Leonards Mother!!!

I think the writers would have been better bringing in a friend of Pennys into it, rather than another "Nerd" who is not really adding anything to the show.

I stand by my earlier comment on Amy. She is very much a 3-dimensional character now (as opposed to what she was at the inception), and her character has crucial differences with Sheldon's. Also, the show is at its heart about nerds, their quirks and their lives, so it is perfectly relevant to include a female nerd too. There already is a 'friend of Penny' who is relatively normal, i.e. Bernadette.

Agree with ozblues and Bill.

I think this last episode demonstrates how the show has grown and how it is still good and relevant.

To me I have an interest in the characters and I want to see them develop and see what happens in their lives.

If the show had just stayed with Sheldon, Leonard, Howard, Raj and Penny eating Chinese food and playing video games the show would have died a while ago.

Especially this.

I must say that my interest in the program is beginning to wane - a lot. The main draw fro me in the beginning was finally getting to see a program in which the characters were people I could identify with - they love comic books, sci-fi, science, board games, vintage video games, science, mathematics, all the good stuff in life. There were no relationship issues or "romantic" issues to distract the guys. That began to change Season 2, and now the program is all but unrecognizable from the original. And that is a shame. The one network program celebrating all things nerd has morphed into "Friends". Blecch.

I disagree. It was relative to a line chart at first, shooting straight up then during the late 3rd season went down all the way to the mid-4th but it is now shooting back up! I certainly enjoyed the most recent episode.

There were no relationship issues or "romantic" issues to distract the guys.

The only reply I can make to this is "Our babies will be smart and beautiful." Season one, episode one. Seems to me the basis of the show from the very beginning was relationship issues and romantic issues.

My 2 cents.

Dave

Not enjoying season 4 as much as i have the series thus far.

The GFs are getting a little boring. Bernadette was a great addition for season 3 but getting stale now. As for Amy... meh

I miss Penny <3

I have really only enjoyed the NYE costume party ep and last weeks ep was quite funny.

Still think season 2 has some of the funniest episodes :icon_cheesygrin:

nick

The only reply I can make to this is "Our babies will be smart and beautiful." Season one, episode one. Seems to me the basis of the show from the very beginning was relationship issues and romantic issues.

My 2 cents.

Dave

And you left off Sheldon's reply: "Not to mention imaginary." Which shows that at that point, the nerdiness trumped any ability to have a romantic involvement.

We need our nerds back! More comics! More Sci-Fi!! Bring back Lonely Larry and Captain Sweatpants! That's the good stuff. I despised "Friends", and I am starting to dislike BBT for the same reasons.

My 2 cents.

Dave

And you left off Sheldon's reply: "Not to mention imaginary." Which shows that at that point, the nerdiness trumped any ability to have a romantic involvement.

We need our nerds back! More comics! More Sci-Fi!! Bring back Lonely Larry and Captain Sweatpants! That's the good stuff. I despised "Friends", and I am starting to dislike BBT for the same reasons.

+ 1

I really love the geeky/sciency parts too, and wish there was more of that. But for all those who are saying that the inclusion of 'relationship issues' is bothering them, are you quite sure that you would have continued to enjoy the show for 4+ years, if these guys were still 'romantically unsuccessful' nerds, only dreaming of actual relationships but never having any? I think I wouldn't, because that, in my eyes, wouldn't be realistic. One or two seasons of that situation was fine. But I find that after getting so attached to the show, I don't just enjoy seeing the characters' quirks and abnormalities, I also care about them as persons and want them to grow.

Maybe many of you don't feel that way, and that's fine too.

All I want are more classic Shenny scenes, like maybe some prank wars. Hate all you want for my predilection for the dynamic odd-ball comedic duo - I have my flame-retardant kevlar vest on. ;)

FLAME ON!

Imaginary romance is great ! But I agree, there's enough boring romantic sitcoms out there

for the die-hard romantic hopefuls.

A big star for "Jordy's" appearance last week and one for Amy's toothbrush...oops...forgot his name!!