The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
aprotosimaki

The show is starting to lose it

All I want are more classic Shenny scenes, like maybe some prank wars. Hate all you want for my predilection for the dynamic odd-ball comicedic duo - I have my flame-retardant kevlar vest on. ;)

Oh, I absolutely love Shenny as a comedic duo. Shenny scenes make the show. The only thing I don't agree with is any romantic possibility between them. That would spoil something for me.. I don't know what.. something. Maybe the subtlety of the spark they share. Apart from being out of character, of course.

A big star for "Jordy's" appearance last week and one for Amy's toothbrush...oops...forgot his name!!

Gerard (or Gerald?) :p

I'm not going to get into a big debate with anyone about this but I just want to put it out there that the show is starting to lose it. It should be careful because most good sitcoms start to lose it around series 3 in my experience. I'm a bit sad though because TBBT started out so hilarious because of its witty barbed comments, snarky wittisisms and general intelligence mixed with down to earth personal relationships. I'm a bit sad that its starting to turn into some slapstick comedy where the characters resemble joey tribbiani and frank spencer rather than genius's. As they say there is a fine line between genius and insanity and I think the show is crossing the border. Its a bit disappointing, particularly as the writers are paid more bucks than I'll ever see in my lifetime to make it good. I'm not writing this to start a debate. Its more for anyone who is involved in the show reading it. Try harder :)

I'm not going to get into a big debate with anyone about this but I just want to put it out there that the show is starting to lose it. It should be careful because most good sitcoms start to lose it around series 3 in my experience. I'm a bit sad though because TBBT started out so hilarious because of its witty barbed comments, snarky wittisisms and general intelligence mixed with down to earth personal relationships. I'm a bit sad that its starting to turn into some slapstick comedy where the characters resemble joey tribbiani and frank spencer rather than genius's. As they say there is a fine line between genius and insanity and I think the show is crossing the border. Its a bit disappointing, particularly as the writers are paid more bucks than I'll ever see in my lifetime to make it good. I'm not writing this to start a debate. Its more for anyone who is involved in the show reading it. Try harder :)

So, do you have someone standing next to you with a gun to your head?

No, then one is forcing you to continue watching are they....

I don't think the show's losing it to be honest; I like how it's going. Amy and Penny are funny together because they're opposite from each other but I will admit that if Sheldon ever does get a girlfriend it should be someone who isn't his female counterpart. It should be more someone like Penny: his complete opposite who accepts him for who he is, doesn't take his remarks personally and who knows how to take him on when he's being unreasonable. It also might be best that he gets a girlfriend at the end of the series too. But the romance is quite nice: I mean, the guys are human, they have their needs too. As long their personalities don't change I don't think giving them girlfriends will be an issue to the show.

I agree with you Sheldon`s Girl esp. about the part that the guys need romances ´cause they´re human. No one can just forbid it. And this show without romance would be a little weird and boring.

Bernadette and Howard are so sweet! And Amy is a big enrichment for the show I so love her! And she calls Penny "Bestie" so funny :D

I mean the show is funny, geeky and romantic thats what makes it so great!

I love the show as it is now. I loved season 2 more, I'll admit - it was smarter and geekier back then, more 'unique' as some people say - but I think season 4 is doing a great job of mixing it up. Season 3 flagged a little for me; but now they have this big ensemble cast and somehow they all fit together nicely and the group dynamics is being handled well.

Amy is getting better and better with each episode, I think. Seeing her interact with Penny and Bernadette is a scream. Hey, there's room on this show for female geeks too. :)

There were no relationship issues or "romantic" issues to distract the guys.

The only reply I can make to this is "Our babies will be smart and beautiful." Season one, episode one. Seems to me the basis of the show from the very beginning was relationship issues and romantic issues.

My 2 cents.

Dave

And you left off Sheldon's reply: "Not to mention imaginary." Which shows that at that point, the nerdiness trumped any ability to have a romantic involvement.

We need our nerds back! More comics! More Sci-Fi!! Bring back Lonely Larry and Captain Sweatpants! That's the good stuff. I despised "Friends", and I am starting to dislike BBT for the same reasons.

+ 1

Friends ran for 10 years and was one of the most successful sitcoms of the modern age. So if Big Bang is going to suck like that then I am sure Bill Prady and Chuck Lorre can live with that.

Characters that never change and never grow are only found in cartoons.

Seinfeld. The characters remained the same. George and Elaine changed jobs a lot, but everyone's personalities were cemented and outside relationships rarely mattered, except for comedic value. The characters never "changed and grew" in the typical sitcom fashion. I find Seinfeld is and always will be an exception to the rule.

Seinfeld. The characters remained the same. George and Elaine changed jobs a lot, but everyone's personalities were cemented and outside relationships rarely mattered, except for comedic value. The characters never "changed and grew" in the typical sitcom fashion. I find Seinfeld is and always will be an exception to the rule.

Never really watched it. I always got the impression from what little I did see, each episode was more like a 25 min comedy sketch.

Would that be a fair assumption?

Never really watched it. I always got the impression from what little I did see, each episode was more like a 25 min comedy sketch.

It's a show about nothing... Really, it's just about every day situations that are exaggerated for comedic purposes. It's just one of those comedies where you watch it to laugh, not to observe relationships, etc. There are arcs and continuing story lines, but nothing that involves shipping. It's the comedy that began the "water cooler talk". ;)

It's a show about nothing... Really, it's just about every day situations that are exaggerated for comedic purposes. It's just one of those comedies where you watch it to laugh, not to observe relationships, etc. There are arcs and continuing story lines, but nothing that involves shipping. It's the comedy that began the "water cooler talk". ;)

Yeah, that sums up what Seinfeld is about. From beginning to end the characters remain the same, just facing different situations. A growth and change of character will make the show better if done right. I remember watching Fraser: a main point in the show was Niles lusting after Daphne. When the two married, it changed the show completely and it wasn't as funny any more. It just depends on how it's done. I think the writers of BBT are doing a great job with this; they haven't lost their edge. :)

I completely agree. It's not even The big bang theory any more. Howard is marrying Bernadette, Raj is trying to slit them up because he loves her, Sheldon is experimenting in the social sciences, Penny isn't hanging out with the guys. They've completely ruined the show.

I completely agree. It's not even The big bang theory any more. Howard is marrying Bernadette, Raj is trying to slit them up because he loves her, Sheldon is experimenting in the social sciences, Penny isn't hanging out with the guys. They've completely ruined the show.

So, don't watch anymore, and leave the rest of us to enjoy it!

Any show I don't like anymore, I simply stop watching.

Remember, it was rumored that Bernadette was going to break up with Howard. There's a chance that they won't stay engaged since it's possible that she was planning to break up with him but got caught up in the moment of the proposal and agreed to marry him. Or Penny misread something (which is often how gossip starts) in Bernadette's actions and everything turned out to be completely false. Future episodes will tell.

As for the rest: Raj was probably given his own plot (will he win Bernadette's heart or will he fail?), Sheldon's testing out social sciences because it's his idea of joke since he has no respect for the field, and Penny needs some girlfriends: you can't expect her to be with the guys 24/7 + in case you've forgotten, Priya made Leonard ask Penny to not hang around him anymore and hanging around Leonard = hanging around the rest of the guys too since he's always with them and Penny complied. It's unfortunate but true. Priya won't last long so Penny will be back with them soon. :)

Just my 2 cents.

I love the surprises in the show from week to week......everyone seems to compliment one

another. Out of curiosity, who chose the books in the background of the lecture room

in the show last night? Was that a contest to see whose book would be seen? Was very

interesting combination!

More Amy and Bernadette !! Less Penny and Raj's sister!

I love the surprises in the show from week to week......everyone seems to compliment one

another. Out of curiosity, who chose the books in the background of the lecture room

in the show last night? Was that a contest to see whose book would be seen? Was very

interesting combination!

More Amy and Bernadette !! Less Penny and Raj's sister!

I didn't even notice the books so I can't tell ya! xD I was more busy focusing on Sheldon and Amy (mostly Sheldon ;) )

I'm really beginning to feel a bit flabbergasted with those who are hating on the show after this last episode. It was hilarious, for heaven's sake, and very well-written and well-structured. I knew I wasn't off the mark in watching it 3 times consecutively that night, when I read the glowing reviews the next day - most people seem to have found it a season-best.

How justified is it to criticize a comedy show storyline 'in principle' because it didn't have enough geekiness or whatever? A dish can be delicious even with what one considers 'incorrect' ingredients. These guys may be geeks and brilliant physicists, but does that make it right to demand that they remain interested exclusively and solely in physics, gaming and comic-books all their lives? Would we, as nerds, be prepared to do that, foregoing normal relationships altogether? Why expect it from our favorite on-screen nerds then?

They're not just dating or sleeping around. They're trying to juggle the thrills and spills of relationships with their research, trying to handle teaching, attending fancy-dress competitions, fund-raising for equipment, chasing after gaming hackers, fighting over the ultraviolet properties of xenon, going ballistic over movies, messing with famous science writers, building algebra apps. That's about as realistic as it gets. Plus it's still very smartly funny.. the last few episodes proved that for me.

It's valid to like or dislike a particular episode or storyline; tastes differ. It's not valid to dislike it because of the pre-conceived notion that anything 'relationship-based' is going to be bad. It's valid to say 'I'm going to stop watching this show if it goes on like this', but it's not valid to claim (as someone did) that there will be no show left if 'I and others like me' stop watching it. That's almost Sheldonesque narcissism.

\end{rant}

Did that sound like I was hotly defending the show and the characters? I was, because I just happened to fall a little more in love with them, after this episode (and a few preceding ones).

Pomita wrote: "That's almost Sheldonesque narcissism."

Thank you, I am indeed flattered. My co-workers have taken to frequently referring to me as "Dr. Cooper" rather than my true nom de plume. BTW, I did not say there will be no show left, I stated that the writers are in danger of losing the original core audience, which will damage the ratings, potentially leading to no show at some point (to satae the obvious, of course). Probably not enough to make a huge dent, because the show is so run-of-the-mill ordinary rom-com now, but still, no show should willingly alineate their core audience.

Pomita wrote: "That's almost Sheldonesque narcissism."

Thank you, I am indeed flattered. My co-workers have taken to frequently referring to me as "Dr. Cooper" rather than my true nom de plume. BTW, I did not say there will be no show left, I stated that the writers are in danger of losing the original core audience, which will damage the ratings, potentially leading to no show at some point (to satae the obvious, of course). Probably not enough to make a huge dent, because the show is so run-of-the-mill ordinary rom-com now, but still, no show should willingly alineate their core audience.

I recognize that my last post was something of a rant. No personal offense meant - and none taken, obviously. No true fan of this show would object to 'Sheldonesque'. I see there's hope for you (or this show, in re you) yet. :)

But jokes aside - I am not quite convinced that the show is going in a direction where it's losing it's core audience. Obviously, I haven't got a chance to perform a statistically foolproof survey, but if interactions with a few dozen people across physics research campuses at various places is any indication, we the science geeks seem to be quite enjoying season 4, in general. More than 3, less than 2 (also in general).

I find it interesting that they've added romance to the mix. I mean, the guys are allowed to have feelings for someone. Who knows, Sheldon might get a girlfriend too but if that ever happens it'll be at the very end of the series. The writers and producers can't stick with the same thing throughout the series: if they do, then the show will start to lose it. People will lose interest. Come on, admit it: you still pay attention to the show because you want to find out what Leonard will do about Priya and now if Howard and Bernadette will stay engaged and what about that rumor about them breaking up last episode? We'll propably find out later about the latter.

My point is, if things don't change a little it won't be as great. Don't get me wrong; I love the guys' geekiness but I love seeing how they're expanding their world past video games and physics (Sheldon's not as willing but he's, albeit very slowly, getting there: he's going out dancing next episode :) ). As I mentioned before, change is good in a show unless it's not done right.

Sheldon dancing? I think not. Unless they find some way to get him hammered first.

That's probably what's gonna happen. xD But the girls do bring him out for a night of dancing so they must do something to at least convince him to go to the club or wherever else that has dancing. That's what it says in the episode summary.

I find it interesting that they've added romance to the mix.

Actually romance always was in the mix, right from the beginning, for all of them except for Sheldon. As someone pointed out, earlier it was more about unsuccessful romantic feelings, which is admittedly easier to portray in a funny way, and now it's more about actual relationships. I find that realistic, given how people (including nerds) evolve between their 20's and their 30's in real life, but some people seem to find it not befitting to this show.

I find it interesting that they've added romance to the mix.

Actually romance always was in the mix, right from the beginning, for all of them except for Sheldon. As someone pointed out, earlier it was more about unsuccessful romantic feelings, which is admittedly easier to portray in a funny way, and now it's more about actual relationships. I find that realistic, given how people (including nerds) evolve between their 20's and their 30's in real life, but some people seem to find it not befitting to this show.

The romance is more evolved than it was before though. That's what I meant, sorry. It has a bigger focus than the 2 first seasons (they focused mainly on Leonard's desire to have Penny as a girlfriend). Now everyone but Sheldon, of course, has their own romantic issues to deal with: Leonard needs to clue in about Priya, Penny's jealous of Priya and vice versa, Raj wants Bernadette as a girlfriend, Amy's just having fun hating on Priya because apparently that's what "Besties" do (LOL), no comments on Sheldon in that department and I'm sure there's something that's gonna go wrong with Howard and Bernadetter. I hope not but you never know.