The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
aprotosimaki

The show is starting to lose it

The romance is more evolved than it was before though. That's what I meant, sorry. It has a bigger focus than the 2 first seasons (they focused mainly on Leonard's desire to have Penny as a girlfriend). Now everyone but Sheldon, of course, has their own romantic issues to deal with: Leonard needs to clue in about Priya, Penny's jealous of Priya and vice versa, Raj wants Bernadette as a girlfriend, Amy's just having fun hating on Priya because apparently that's what "Besties" do (LOL), no comments on Sheldon in that department and I'm sure there's something that's gonna go wrong with Howard and Bernadette. I hope not but you never know.

Yes, the plots are more relationship-inclined in the last two seasons, that's what I meant too. That's probably what led to the astronomical rise in ratings - smart and funny plus a little mainstream. And that's what earned the grouse of those who loved the quaint geeky flavor of the show more than anything else.

Personally I'm ok with both ways, as long as they keep the writing good (which they're doing remarkably well, last few episodes) - and preferably if the 'relationship problem' aspects don't take up more than 50% of the focus. Upto a degree, having them makes the goings-on more realistic.

But oh, I love Sheldon/Amy. I could go around singing it. :)

I thought it was better back when it was just the guys, as well.

However, the new situations allow for new humor (even if more familiar to us via all the other sitcoms, it's new for Sheldon and the guys so new material with their peculiar twists) so I understand why. I just hope they work their way back to "the guys and a gal" formula.

I have been a fan of this show since the very beginning but I must say not only has the writing become stale but the tried and tested formula of adding gf's for the various characters has been for the most part a complete flop. I particularly detest Amy Fowler as Sheldon's girlfriend. She is utterly painful to watch. I think the fundamental problem is that she is too like Sheldon albeit with a layer of juvenile sexual confusion. She is simply not funny nor particularly believable. She is really nothing more than a clown. Sheldon needs a foil not a reflection. Why not hook him up with a hippy humanities chick? Opposites attract but more vitally conflict opens the door to genuine humor.

In the same light Howard was far more interesting as a guy on the prowl rather than as a person in a stultifying relationship with Bernadette. I cannot recall one funny scene with the two of them. Bland and banal comes to mind. ( Simon Helberg is actually one of the strongest actors on the show; he is quite brilliant.)

Sorry but unless the show improves dramatically I will recall it has having three good seasons, the first two being very strong. The rest is lapsing into nonsense or vapid predictability.

Although I do not entirely subscribe to all the arguments made here, I also think that the show is losing it (see the 'toilet humour' thread) and that the whole 'gf for everyone' flip is a flop. I also agree that trying to switch TBBT to "normal" sitcom situations, with poor-taste romance and very bad toilet jokes, was a terrible decision.

The way the show is evolving is in effect nonsensical and unpredictable and, other than some rare sparkles, each episode is harder to bear than the previous.

I personally am somewhere in the middle when it comes to the opposing comments on this thread. I truly miss the moments with only the guys, at the university, in the comic shop, or in the apartment playing video games or eating and discussing various topics in their unique ways. And I miss Kripke and Leslie - episodes with them were truly hilarious (remember Perpetual Motion Squad vs. Army Ants :D, or when Sheldon was a guest in a radio show :)).

I agree that the characters do have to evolve, and I really like the Howard and Bernadette story - it would be really interesting to see how they'll manage to organize their mutual life now that they are engaged. But on the other side, I have a feeling like there are too many characters in the show at the moment - the guys, Penny, Amy, Bernadette and Priya, and it's quite hard to work on the quality of a character when you want to balance all of them in an episode. In my opinion, Penny is neglected in the last few episodes, which I also don't like. And I'm still confused about Amy, sometimes she's OK, but sometimes she annoys the hell out of me. For me, she just did not fit in completely yet, it's like they are still trying to find a place for her.

I don't think that Sheldon and Amy will be a couple, and I would not like that. I agree with aprotosimaki - Sheldon should fall for a smart hippy humanities chick. That would be interesting, and she would be a great balance to his personality. Besides, Sheldon did not show any kind of attraction to Amy, and I would suppose that he would have all the physiological symptoms when he finally falls in love. After all, he's not a robot, or a violent sociopath :).

And of course people have different opinions about the show as it progresses and changes, it's human nature. And I don't see any hate in all the previous comments, on the contrary, these discussions are quite interesting :D.

I personally am somewhere in the middle when it comes to the opposing comments on this thread. I truly miss the moments with only the guys, at the university, in the comic shop, or in the apartment playing video games or eating and discussing various topics in their unique ways. And I miss Kripke and Leslie - episodes with them were truly hilarious (remember Perpetual Motion Squad vs. Army Ants :D, or when Sheldon was a guest in a radio show :)).

I agree that the characters do have to evolve, and I really like the Howard and Bernadette story - it would be really interesting to see how they'll manage to organize their mutual life now that they are engaged. But on the other side, I have a feeling like there are too many characters in the show at the moment - the guys, Penny, Amy, Bernadette and Priya, and it's quite hard to work on the quality of a character when you want to balance all of them in an episode. In my opinion, Penny is neglected in the last few episodes, which I also don't like. And I'm still confused about Amy, sometimes she's OK, but sometimes she annoys the hell out of me. For me, she just did not fit in completely yet, it's like they are still trying to find a place for her.

I don't think that Sheldon and Amy will be a couple, and I would not like that. I agree with aprotosimaki - Sheldon should fall for a smart hippy humanities chick. That would be interesting, and she would be a great balance to his personality. Besides, Sheldon did not show any kind of attraction to Amy, and I would suppose that he would have all the physiological symptoms when he finally falls in love. After all, he's not a robot, or a violent sociopath :).

And of course people have different opinions about the show as it progresses and changes, it's human nature. And I don't see any hate in all the previous comments, on the contrary, these discussions are quite interesting :D.

Yeah... Kripke and Leslie were really good characters. I mean, I still like the show, but still...

And kudos to that very last sentence. Sums it up nicely.

But on the other side, I have a feeling like there are too many characters in the show at the moment - the guys, Penny, Amy, Bernadette and Priya, and it's quite hard to work on the quality of a character when you want to balance all of them in an episode.

I feel they needed more characters, to be able to tell new stories over several years. There's only so far you can go with just five; and that was one reason for things to start feeling a bit stale (to me) by the second half of the third season.

Time will tell whether Amy and Bernadette have been good additions in the long run, but at present, they've certainly freshened up the proceedings and added some new dynamics and possibilities of character evolution for the core group. Not to mention that Mayim's performance in some recent episodes has struck me as comedic gold.

And I completely agree to your last sentence. Bring on the healthy debates, it's part of the fun. :)

I disagree. This show is not starting to lose it, it has already lost it. I thought they realized their mistakes and broke up Penny and Leonard. But since then they have just gone backwards. I think you will see this show continue to fall in the ratings like it has the past couple of years. My God don't the people in charge of the show ever read these things ? :icon_twisted:

I disagree. This show is not starting to lose it, it has already lost it. I thought they realized their mistakes and broke up Penny and Leonard. But since then they have just gone backwards. I think you will see this show continue to fall in the ratings like it has the past couple of years. My God don't the people in charge of the show ever read these things ? :icon_twisted:

Nah, it hasn't lost it. I still enjoy it, but an opinion is an opinion. I won't knock you for it.

OMG, this show is turning into a cesspool. First they are all super nerds that couldn't get laid if their lives depended on it, but now they all have hot girlfriends and they're all getting laid left and right. Now Raj is sleeping with Penny. What's next, and orgy? Logically speaking, that is next in line for this progression of degradation.

It's the best show on TV and just keeps getting better and more enjoyable.

All of you who don't like it now are free to stop watching, nobody's forcing you watch!

All of you who don't like it now are free to stop watching, nobody's forcing you watch!

Yes because when something you love starts to go bad you should just walk away and not try and rescue it.

if many of us stop watching it...this shows gonna get cancelled

Yes because when something you love starts to go bad you should just walk away and not try and rescue it.

I am a Stargate fan too, I enjoyed all of Stargate SG1, then came Stargate Atlantis which was great for the first two seasons, from S3 it changed course in a way I didn't like so I stopped watching.

Then came Stargate Universe, I watched a few eps and quickly decided I didn't like it and stopped watching.

Why bother watching something you don't like and aren't getting any enjoyment out of anymore..

As for 'rescuing' it, we have no way we can do that, we don't even know if 'they' bother to read forums like this.

I cant get my geek on when I watch this show as I used to.

The show should logicly go with what the majority wants and what will keep them in business. But theres nothing wrong with hopeing that the majority wants the same as yourself. And in my case im agreeing with the thread starter.

OMG, this show is turning into a cesspool. First they are all super nerds that couldn't get laid if their lives depended on it, but now they all have hot girlfriends and they're all getting laid left and right. Now Raj is sleeping with Penny. What's next, and orgy? Logically speaking, that is next in line for this progression of degradation.

Who said they 'couldn't get laid if their lives depended on it', earlier? In the first two seasons, Leonard got with Leslie, Howard got with Leslie, Leonard got with Stefanie, Raj got with the girl at Penny's Halloween party and the plump one in the bar, and even Sheldon could probably have got with Lalitha or with Ramona if he had wanted to (which he clearly didn't). The only difference is that Leonard and Howard have steady girlfriends now. But come on, isn't that the natural progression in life?

This nostalgia about the 'pure virtuous geekiness' of the first two seasons sometimes strikes me as more wishful thinking than anything else. Yes, there were more geek/science related storylines back then, but there was certainly no lack of 'romantic action' - just of a different kind.