The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

4.18 The Prestidigitation Approximation (Mar. 10)

"The Prestidigitation Approximation" - Leonard must choose between new girlfriend Priya and his friendship with Penny. Meanwhile, Howard drives Sheldon crazy with a magic trick, on THE BIG BANG THEORY, Thursday, March 10 (8:00-8:31 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.

Episode Guide | Wiki

Priya is probably just a plot device to make Penny gradually 'realize' what she lost, through jealousy and all that jazz. I hardly expect much humor in that part of the story.

The magic trick bit, though sounding trivial, can be funny if done well.

"The Prestidigitation Approximation" - Leonard must choose between new girlfriend Priya and his friendship with Penny. Meanwhile, Howard drives Sheldon crazy with a magic trick, on THE BIG BANG THEORY, Thursday, March 10 (8:00-8:31 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.

Episode Guide | Wiki

Any resemblance to the relation of Ross and Rachel on "Friends"is pure coincidence. I like it.

The question is. Why is obliged Leonard to choose? Who or what makes him so?

My answer is: Priya goodbye. Leonard probably still does not return with Penny but I think the reasons that may require to make that decision is to leave a positive message: The value of true friendship.

Remember, the series began with Leornard, Sheldon and Penny and so should continue.

An interesting detail. Prior to the issuance of this chapter, will air the episode 4.09, where it participates Penny's father. Will there be some connection between the two episodes?

I think the decision that Leonard has taken from her relationship with Priya and friendship with Penny has some influence with what happened to Penny's father although I do not get back together again.

I think that season 5 will again see the same dynamics of the first seasons with situations where all members participate together in the group and not separately as we see now.

Leonard has to return and therefore will not continue his relationship with Priya. Howard and Raj will return to be inseparable but learning to overcome their weaknesses when it comes to relationships with women.

Sheldon probably learn to be a little more sociable. Probably read the book.

Penny will be less slut and she will have an important role, helping the boys in their social relations. Leonard and Penny will keep their feelings for each other but not together again. Maybe friends with benefits.

I think Leonard breaks the relationship with Priya but not to return with Penny. Relationship between Leonard and Priya caused the separation of the group and the first thing to try is to reunite the gang.

Penny and Leonard reaffirm their friendship knowing what they feel for each other but get back together as a couple to stay for future seasons. If you recall, when Penny and Leonard began to be partners in the third season, was initiated by Penny let out his feelings for Leonard. So Leonard did not think it was going out with Penny. For a new union between them, Leonard will have to take the initiative and for this he needs to grow. Before it will strengthen the friendship between them and the group.

Any resemblance to the relation of Ross and Rachel on "Friends"is pure coincidence. I like it

Keep telling yourself that.

I think Penny has realised that Leonard isn't going to wait around for her until she's ready. Hopefully - hopefully - Leonard will keep this relationship with Priya, and Penny will focus on herself. No more men, no more dating - not for a while. If we're lucky, the show will finally focus on an actual career for Penny (nothing wrong with waitressing, but she wants to be an actress). And though I am not a supporter of Lenny (Penny/Leonard), if the show actually wants a lasting and believable relationship, those two need some time apart to work on themselves. Come back to the relationship when they're both ready and have grown up a bit.

I agree with Incognito. I really want them to take up Penny's acting interest as a plot line at some point, as something more than Sheldon taking her classes or riling her about it.

Who knows where they are going go but technically Leonard and Penny will have been apart for a year at this point.

Who knows where they are going go but technically Leonard and Penny will have been apart for a year at this point.

Technically they haven't spent much time apart; they see each other all the time. ;) Although they have officially been a non-couple for almost a year, they have slipped up a few times doing the friends-with-benefits thing, which almost never bodes well. They need to actually be apart and doing their own things.

Ah, I can't believe I'm saying this as a non Lenny shipper, but ... once both of them are ready for a real relationship and both are comfortable with who they are and who the other person is, then they can be together.

While some may maintain that it is Penny who needs to be ready, Leonard has a lot to learn, too. He has to learn to be more confident and not so insecure and jealous - and he needs to trust Penny. He also needs to accept her for who she is: a college drop-out, a waitress-slash-aspiring actress, and a superstitious woman who believes in such things that he considers hokum. Mainly, they both just need to be comfortable with who they are before any real relationship can be developed and maintained.

He also needs to accept her for who she is: a college drop-out, a waitress-slash-aspiring actress, and a superstitious woman who believes in such things that he considers hokum.

"Penny's qualities, both good and bad, are what make her who she is"

Leonard, 3x03

Ah, I can't believe I'm saying this as a non Lenny shipper, but ... once both of them are ready for a real relationship and both are comfortable with who they are and who the other person is, then they can be together.

I understand the change of opinion toward the relationship Lenny, being a fan of the relationship Shenny. Like any TV show, its popularity depends on the rating, and Lenny's relationship has been widely accepted by the viewer. I guess the producers have seen the polls and for that reason have maintained high expectations for this relationship.

I think that ultimately the relationship Lenny will be final, and I agree with you that during the course of the series, both to grow and overcome their weaknesses as a person and as a couple.

Meanwhile, I hope the producers take advantage of the development of this relationship to leave positive messages about friendship and love.

He also needs to accept her for who she is: a college drop-out, a waitress-slash-aspiring actress, and a superstitious woman who believes in such things that he considers hokum.

"Penny's qualities, both good and bad, are what make her who she is"

Leonard, 3x03

That's just a statement of fact, not a declaration of supporting her in all her endeavours [see Penny's singing - not that you can blame him]. I'm not saying that Leonard berates Penny - that's a job left to Sheldon. No, he is generally very supportive; however, for most of the series, he has regarded Penny as a lofty ideal, as a woman he has placed on a pedestal, which is rather unfair (for Penny and himself). He conveniently dismisses her less than desirable and far from compatible qualities in hopes for sex. Yes, I think it was as crass as that. Penny was a trophy. Do I believe he cared for her? Yes. Do I believe that Leonard has the ability to not treat Penny as a conquest? Yes, absolutely. Leonard needs to work on his fears and insecurities, first. And don't think that I don't believe Penny to be just as culpable, if not more.

My point, really, is that if you put them in a relationship now, it will fail. Epically. They're just not ready. In season three, Leonard was douche. My opinion, no one else's. When in a relationship with Penny, he was jealous and insecure and he treated the other boys badly. Was he like this while mooning over Penny in seasons 1-2? No. I actually liked the scenes with he and Penny - even the kisses. Once in a relationship, he changed. I guess you could say that I'm still soured over the fact that he kept saying "can't a guy get a break?" every time his sex time with Penny was interrupted because Sheldon felt betrayed and was rightfully upset by it.

/rant

Needless to say, I never said that their relationship was impossible or improbable. They both just need time apart to work on themselves. And this is coming from a Shenny fan (mainly friendship fan), so can't a girl get a break? ;)

Once in a relationship, he changed. I guess you could say that I'm still soured over the fact that he kept saying "can't a guy get a break?" every time his sex time with Penny was interrupted because Sheldon felt betrayed and was rightfully upset by it.

/rant

Needless to say, I never said that their relationship was impossible or improbable. They both just need time apart to work on themselves. And this is coming from a Shenny fan (mainly friendship fan), so can't a girl get a break? ;)

I completely agree with both the above statements. That aspect of the Can-opener Fluctuation had disappointed me very much, too. It was a serious breach of any kind of friendship bond - however irritating Sheldon may have been. Not the deception itself - that was bad enough - but Leonard's unconcerned attitude throughout. He did not even go to comfort Sheldon, only Penny did.

And I'm a devoted 'Shenny friendship' fan too. Not 'romance' fan, though.. that would be too out of character, I feel, and take away the lovely 'undercurrent of chemistry' charm of their scenes together.

I completely agree with both the above statements. That aspect of the Can-opener Fluctuation had disappointed me very much, too. It was a serious breach of any kind of friendship bond - however irritating Sheldon may have been. Not the deception itself - that was bad enough - but Leonard's unconcerned attitude throughout. He did not even go to comfort Sheldon, only Penny did.

Leonard didn't disappoint me because I took it that after 3 months he was soooooo sick of Sheldon and had been missing Penny that how he acted was normal.

Sure Sheldon is his friend. That's why they didn't throw his Kindle outside and lock the door. lol

Leonard didn't disappoint me because I took it that after 3 months he was soooooo sick of Sheldon and had been missing Penny that how he acted was normal.

Sure Sheldon is his friend. That's why they didn't throw his Kindle outside and lock the door. lol

I'm not going to argue this on the merit of the show (i.e. it's a sitcom), but if you were to look at it as a real life situation, you would totally empathise with Sheldon. The guys could have easily left instead of sabotaging Sheldon's work. They could have arranged it so that they left early without him. If for some reason they couldn't, ruining someone's credibility in the academic world is not really a second option. It's a dick thing to do. Plus, doing it to someone who bases his whole life on academia is like murder.

However, this is my outlook on the situation had it occurred in real life. For the show, it was just a humour device. Regardless, it made Leonard look like a douche because he didn't seem to care at all. And before anyone starts accusing me of always talking Sheldon's side, I agree that he can be difficult and can be a selfish git. However, you can't deny that Leonard was in the wrong in this case.

@Incognito

I agree with you, with one exception:

"he was jealous and insecure and he treated the other boys badly"

Leonard has never mistreated the guys. He simply reacted when it was provoked, especially about his relationship with Penny (Howard-Raj). And about Sheldon (North Pole), what can I say? Penny vs Sheldon, or better, 3 months at the North Pole (with Sheldon!) vs "the girl of your dreams"...

And apart from that, how many times Sheldon has been unbearable and egoist in the past? ; )

@Incognito

I agree with you, with one exception:

"he was jealous and insecure and he treated the other boys badly"

Since you quoted everything there, how has he not acted jealous and insecure?

As for the treated the other boys badly, granted he doesn't go out of his way to do mean things. Sheldon is, by far, is the 'meaniest' character. However, when in a romantic relationship Penny, Leonard becomes a snarky douche, which is so out of his character (for me), and if you'd like a list of examples, I'll be pedantic enough to give them to you. However, the fact that a television trope uses Leonard as an example of snark might be enough. Lol.

BIG RANT: I don't know why some people don't get that sabotaging someone credibility in the academic world is like a death sentence. Seriously. It can get you thrown out. And that is an insanely cruel thing to do to a fellow academic and supposed best friend. Leonard could have easily left the project, but he didn't. Instead, Leonard chose to sabotage Sheldon's findings, thereby potentially destroying his career. When Sheldon was genuinely hurt by his best friend's betrayal, Leonard could have been more sympathetic about it. Instead, Howard, Raj, and Penny had to make him go find Sheldon, and even then he didn't want to be there. As much as Sheldon makes fun of Leonard's work, he has never gone out of his way to sabotage it. Sure, it works great for a comedy, but it makes him the worst kind of friend.

BIG RANT: I don't know why some people don't get that sabotaging someone credibility in the academic world is like a death sentence. Seriously. It can get you thrown out. And that is an insanely cruel thing to do to a fellow academic and supposed best friend. Leonard could have easily left the project., but he didn't. Instead, Leonard chose to sabotage Sheldon's findings, thereby potentially destroying his career. When Sheldon was genuinely hurt by his best friend's betrayal, Leonard could have been more sympathetic about it. Instead, Howard, Raj, and Penny had to make him go find Sheldon, and even then he didn't want to be there. As much as Sheldon makes fun of Leonard's work, he has never gone out of his way to sabotage it. Sure, it works great for a comedy, but it makes him the worst kind of friend.

EXACTLY. I've been trying from ages to get people to see that. Perhaps being in the academic field myself makes it easier to realize just how damning this is. And even granted that this is a comedy, nothing is supposed to be real or literal, and all that jazz.. you do get attached to a set of characters after loving a show from ages. Leonard's behaviour was not only damaging, it was also completely out of character with the Leonard we saw over the first two seasons.

I don't mind anything else Leonard or anyone has ever done on the show; I thoroughly enjoy it as a light-hearted comedy, and usually I would never give any strong opinion about their actions at all - but it still is a comedy about physicists. And for Sheldon, physics - his profession, and his prestige as a scientist - is his life.

And to add that Sheldon may be a nutcase and annoying and devilishly condescending about his friends' capabilities - but all he does is verbal ribbing. The one time he had (unintentionally) harmed Howard's career, he was genuinely sorry about it, and the situation really disturbed him.

• Like 1

The only truly funny relationships were Sheldon/Nowitski, Leonard/Leslie and Zac/Penny (just 'cause Zac's around and honestly funny in his own right).... and ok, Howard and Bernadette have had some great moments. Other than that any relationship the writers try to create is dull comedy that we've seen rehashed through the years on countless family comedy shows.

What made me love this show is that it was a departure from that and at times had a hilarious zaniness that I haven't seen since the great sitcoms of the 70's or earlier.

I know that it's difficult for the writers to keep up a consistent level of quality after four seasons, but for my taste they are taking the wrong direction.

I really would love to see leslie again...and Nowitski....and Sheldon's sister (but not if she too is gonna' fall for Leonard...geeez). Would that really be funnier than the way the guys struck out with her. Are any of the scenes where Leonard has a relationship (other than the doctor in season two) funny?

I don't like repeating what I mentioned in another topic but reading through some of the previous posts it does seem like were talking about a soap opera and not a comedy.

Why is that? Maybe because by focusing so heavily on Leonard's relationships the show has lost what really mattered in the first place. Laughs.

I'm quite curious as to what Leonard relationship scenes people thought were funny. Other than with leslie I can't recall any.

I think the 'rub' here is that, on the surface, nothing wrong with any of these characters having romantic relationship - except Sheldon. It's just that some of us are disappointed when a character changes and acts OOC. Some of us feel that Leonard became a douche while dating Penny; others don't. Some love how Howard is with Bernadette; others miss the creepy sleeze who constantly hit on Penny.

Randomness: The characters on Seinfeld had romantic interests and relationships all the time, but they never changed who they were. I'm not saying that BBT has to be like Seinfeld or that any of the characters dating on BBT have radically changed, but never did I once feel that the characters on Seinfeld changed due to a relationship. I feel that with BBT. Does it mean I'm going to stop watching the show? No. I'm just going to whinge. ;)

I think the 'rub' here is that, on the surface, nothing wrong with any of these characters having romantic relationship - except Sheldon. It's just that some of us are disappointed when a character changes and acts OOC. Some of us feel that Leonard became a douche while dating Penny; others don't. Some love how Howard is with Bernadette; others miss the creepy sleeze who constantly hit on Penny.

Randomness: The characters on Seinfeld had romantic interests and relationships all the time, but they never changed who they were. I'm not saying that BBT has to be like Seinfeld or that any of the characters dating on BBT have radically changed, but never did I once feel that the characters on Seinfeld changed due to a relationship. I feel that with BBT. Does it mean I'm going to stop watching the show? No. I'm just going to whinge. ;)

Well Sheldon's arrogance was his undoing in that instance because he sent a message ahead to the university, without notifying the rest of his colleagues, saying he had confirmed string theory before he had collated the data, reveiwed it with his team and published his findings. Got what he deserved.

mmmm comfort a Sheldon or sex with Penny? I know which I would choose.

:icon_biggrin:

Maybe some degree of change was necessary, in BBT, given that the basic premise of the show started with this group of friends who were too geeky or quirky to have normal romantic relationships. In Howard's case it certainly was, at least - he couldn't be in a steady relationship and continue to be a creepy sleaze!

mmmm comfort a Sheldon or sex with Penny? I know which I would choose.

Sex with Sheldon? *smirks*

Spot on. :)