The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

4.18 The Prestidigitation Approximation (Mar. 10)

quote='sphericalchickens' pid='10809' dateline='1298494081']

mmmm comfort a Sheldon or sex with Penny? I know which I would choose.

You have Penny; I'll have Sheldon.

Hmm. I'd probably throttle Sheldon in his sleep after time. I know: I will auction Sheldon off to the highest bidder. I've always wanted to sell a man (real or imaginary)...

Hmm. I'd probably throttle Sheldon in his sleep after time. I know: I will auction Sheldon off to the highest bidder. I've always wanted to sell a man (real or imaginary)...

So when does the bidding start? I'm game. I suspect you're going to make a lot of profit though. :)

BIG RANT: I don't know why some people don't get that sabotaging someone credibility in the academic world is like a death sentence. Seriously. It can get you thrown out. And that is an insanely cruel thing to do to a fellow academic and supposed best friend. Leonard could have easily left the project, but he didn't. Instead, Leonard chose to sabotage Sheldon's findings, thereby potentially destroying his career. When Sheldon was genuinely hurt by his best friend's betrayal, Leonard could have been more sympathetic about it. Instead, Howard, Raj, and Penny had to make him go find Sheldon, and even then he didn't want to be there. As much as Sheldon makes fun of Leonard's work, he has never gone out of his way to sabotage it. Sure, it works great for a comedy, but it makes him the worst kind of friend.

Leonard wasn't the only guilty one here. Neither Howard nor Raj really wanted to do anything either and they were part of the scam as well.

Yes it sucked for Sheldon but a real scientist makes sure his data is reviewed thoroughly by his peers before he publishes the results or even makes bold statements like he did, so by that standard Sheldon is equally responsible for his damaged credibility.

Leonard wasn't the only guilty one here. Neither Howard nor Raj really wanted to do anything either and they were part of the scam as well.

Yes it sucked for Sheldon but a real scientist makes sure his data is reviewed thoroughly by his peers before he publishes the results or even makes bold statements like he did, so by that standard Sheldon is equally responsible for his damaged credibility.

I will say that all three boys are responsible for damaging Sheldon's credibility. What ticked me off was that Leonard didn't care. However, the difference between Leonard's actions and Raj's and Howard's are quite different: 1) Raj and Howard confessed and apologised, while Leonard did not; 2) Raj and Howard were worried and went after Sheldon willingly, while Leonard had to be told to go by Penny.

As for Sheldon boasting (boasting, he never published) about his findings, that does not make destroying his credibility justifiable. It's like the common fallacy that a woman deserves to be raped for dressing provocatively or flirting (extreme example, obviously). Sheldon deserved to have his credibility ruined because he's annoying and arrogant? Right. Sure, hubris is a bugger and often a great downfall, but his friends enabled him. ;)

Having said the above, this is not even about friendship or loyal ties or even about knowing what's wrong to do to a friend and colleague but about flippantly and purposely sabotaging one's credibility. And, if someone finds that to be a perfectly acceptable thing to do to someone's best friend/colleague/roommate and not only not feel bad about it but believe that s/he had it coming, then... Well, I have no nice words for that. ;)

And now I propose we end this discussion (of both the show and academia) with I have my beliefs on the subject and everyone else has his or hers. No one here is going to change his or her opinion, nay? Let's just all be content that we're all brilliant.

I agree with Incognito on this again (obviously), but as she says, better to agree to disagree and wind this up. Anyway this was 2 years back!

Priya is probably just a plot device to make Penny gradually 'realize' what she lost, through jealousy and all that jazz. I hardly expect much humor in that part of the story.

The magic trick bit, though sounding trivial, can be funny if done well.

Yeah it's really quite obvious imo that Priya is just fodder for Penny and Leonard. What a drag eh...

I will say that all three boys are responsible for damaging Sheldon's credibility. What ticked me off was that Leonard didn't care. However, the difference between Leonard's actions and Raj's and Howard's are quite different: 1) Raj and Howard confessed and apologised, while Leonard did not; 2) Raj and Howard were worried and went after Sheldon willingly, while Leonard had to be told to go by Penny

Howard and Raj never apologized, they just told him what they did and had Leonard not went over to Penny's initially he would have been apart of the that conversation as well. Howard and Raj didn't seem that overly worried and while Leonard had to be coherced by Penny to finally go both Howard and Raj had to be instructed by Leonard to help Sheldon. I'm just tired of this whole scenario being placed soley on Leonard. They we're all jerks and none of them really wanted to go after Sheldon. Leonard had to be coherced by Penny and Howard and Raj we're just tagging along.

As for Sheldon boasting (boasting, he never published) about his findings, that does not make destroying his credibility justifiable. It's like the common fallacy that a woman deserves to be raped for dressing provocatively or flirting (extreme example, obviously). Sheldon deserved to have his credibility ruined because he's annoying and arrogant? Right. Sure, hubris is a bugger and often a great downfall, but his friends enabled him.

Having said the above, this is not even about friendship or loyal ties or even about knowing what's wrong to do to a friend and colleague but about flippantly and purposely sabotaging one's credibility. And, if someone finds that to be a perfectly acceptable thing to do to someone's best friend/colleague/roommate and not only not feel bad about it but believe that s/he had it coming, then... Well, I have no nice words for that.

I'm not justifying what they did to Sheldon. What they did to Sheldon was horrible but you only ever seem to hold them to real life standards and don't do the same for Sheldon. You also seem to gloss over the fact that Sheldon was acting like a dictator towards them. When you ask you're friends to help you out with project you don't turn around and start acting like a prick towards them.

All I'm saying is that while what happed to Sheldon was bad, he had a big role in what ultimately happened to him.

I agree with Incognito on this again (obviously), but as she says, better to agree to disagree and wind this up. Anyway this was 2 years back!

Women forgive; they never forget. ^_~

Check. :icon_wink:

2 week gap, I think I'm going to get the shakes!

Seems like you've gotten used to sweeps month. :)

I became a TBBT fan in October last year, when a friend provided me with seasons 1 and 2. Ever since then, I've got my fix of new episodes at least every 2-3 weeks. I'm not sure what I'll feel like after the season ends in May! Survival tips, anyone? :p

2 week gap, I think I'm going to get the shakes!

Seems like you've gotten used to sweeps month. :)

I became a TBBT fan in October last year, when a friend provided me with seasons 1 and 2. Ever since then, I've got my fix of new episodes at least every 2-3 weeks. I'm not sure what I'll feel like after the season ends in May! Survival tips, anyone? :p

Heh, I started watching when my ex introduced me to it, just about the time season 3 started. I watched the whole first two seasons in under a week, then caught up with season 3. Tips... I dunno I play games, that seems to work. Or other TV shows... though none are as good, aside from House imo :p

Heh, I started watching when my ex introduced me to it, just about the time season 3 started. I watched the whole first two seasons in under a week, then caught up with season 3. Tips... I dunno I play games, that seems to work. Or other TV shows... though none are as good, aside from House imo :p

Ditto on the first-two-seasons-in-a-week thing. I got so caught up in it at that time, I was hardly sleeping.

I'm not really big on gaming, but find myself getting addicted to (of all things) Solitaire nowadays. And of course there are dozens of favorite movies to watch, but that doesn't quite replace the pleasure of an ongoing favorite TV show.

Speaking of other shows, I hear many people praise Community a lot.. I tried watching parts on youtube, but it didn't seem to catch me in the same way. Maybe it would if I got into it first season first episode, I don't know.

Ditto on the first-two-seasons-in-a-week thing. I got so caught up in it at that time, I was hardly sleeping.

I'm not really big on gaming, but find myself getting addicted to (of all things) Solitaire nowadays. And of course there are dozens of favorite movies to watch, but that doesn't quite replace the pleasure of an ongoing favorite TV show.

Speaking of other shows, I hear many people praise Community a lot.. I tried watching parts on youtube, but it didn't seem to catch me in the same way. Maybe it would if I got into it first season first episode, I don't know.

Movies are good. Not heard of community I might have to check it out. Being geeky I guess there are many ways to keep oneself occupied :p

You will also never win a discussion / argument

And a discussion / argument is only over after she has had the final word:fi_lone_ranger:

You will also never win a discussion / argument

And a discussion / argument is only over after she has had the final word:fi_lone_ranger:

It's getting easy to guess people's genders here. :p

I think my winky faces and Power Puff Sheldon and Penny signature help, too... ^_~

I think my winky faces and Power Puff Sheldon and Penny signature help, too... ^_~

Oh yes. I'm guessing most (if not all?) Shenny shippers are girls. :)

Oh yes. I'm guessing most (if not all?) Shenny shippers are girls. :)

All :p

Still trying to figure out what the attraction is there tbh, it baffles me. Someone it explain it to me please!

Here is the promotrailer :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9V61p7IQos

Thanks. This part seems nice! Interestingly, they don't show the Leonard/Priya/Penny angle at all, in the promo. So I hope it's subsidiary.

All :p

Still trying to figure out what the attraction is there tbh, it baffles me. Someone it explain it to me please!

I love them, too, as a HUMOROUS pairing. They have wonderful comic timing together, and Jim and Kaley play off each other very well. I simply cannot imagine a romantic connection, though. As Jim says in interviews, I would be jaw-dropped if that ever happened.