No more romance, PLEASE

This show was so much funnier when they didn't add romance into the mix. They broke up Leonard and Penny (Thank God) and now they have started with Priya, and for some reason Penny is showing signs of jealousy. Oh please don't go down this road again. It failed the first time. Get rid of Priya and Howard's girl friend (who isn't funny in the least) This show works when the guys are at their geeky best. Stop ruining it.

I completely agree! I love the show for the geekiness, the Star Trek and Star Wars references, the Comic Book references, gaming, etc., etc. I want the show to focus on the core guys - Penny hanging out with them is cool and provides lots of funny moments (see season 1 and 2), but let's stick to the real heart of the show - the nerds!

Sorry but this would be very boring.

Poor guys. Why can`t a geek have a girlfriend? I don`t get that.

And Bernadette is lovely and belongs to Howard. She doesn`t destroy him.

BTW: There will be references to every geeky stuff for ever they will never change that.

But what´s so wrong about putting a little romance in it.

And: They just seperated Penny and Leonard ´cause it will be more interesting to see how long it takes for a possible reunion of this two.

Just my two cents.

I find the Leonard/Penny part not very interesting, to be honest. But I'm absolutely delighted by the addition of Amy and Bernadette, and the new ingredient of the 'girl group dynamics'. It adds so much to the show, both in terms of humor and making it more well-rounded. The interesting thing is that Amy is geeky, and Bernadette is semi-geeky too, so even those scenes - which could have been just girl talk, elsewhere - have this hilarious 'social awkwardness' flavor to them which goes so well with the soul of the show.

I don't mind if the geeks have girlfriends, but the problem is that the writers tend to focus on the relationship stuff after that, rather than sticking with the what should be the main point of the show - the four core nerds and their struggles to understand the greater world, without succumbing to it.

No true geek will give up his or her loves of comic books, sci-fi, and technology just for a chance at romance.

I don't mind if the geeks have girlfriends, but the problem is that the writers tend to focus on the relationship stuff after that, rather than sticking with the what should be the main point of the show - the four core nerds and their struggles to understand the greater world, without succumbing to it.

No true geek will give up his or her loves of comic books, sci-fi, and technology just for a chance at romance.

1) But isn't struggling with normal human relationships a part of struggling to understand the greater world?

2) After episodes like Zarnecki Incursion, does it seem like the geeks are giving up their geeky passions for the sake of relationships?

On the contrary, Priya's trying to make Leonard give them up is being portrayed in a negative light - as it should be.

Actually, romance can be very funny. However the thing is that romance is not very well presented in TBBT.

In the very start of the third season, Penny and Leonard began to go out with no sense what so ever. (Well, they did some foreplay in the last episode of the second season but that was not enough, was it?) Then they suddenly break up. Same thing happens with Howard and Bernadette. There is no logic applied to romance appearing in TBBT. No wonder it's never funny or interesting.

1) But isn't struggling with normal human relationships a part of struggling to understand the greater world?

2) After episodes like Zarnecki Incursion, does it seem like the geeks are giving up their geeky passions for the sake of relationships?

On the contrary, Priya's trying to make Leonard give them up is being portrayed in a negative light - as it should be.

Considering Priya is a plot device to make Penny miss Leonard and Leonard to choose between being changed and being true to himself, then it's not suprising nobody likes her. That's the whole point.

Penny said to Leonard way way back in the season one time machine episode, that it was "the things that you love that make you who you are". She has been around the boys long enough to accept the geeky behaviour and not see it as childish as Priya does.

As for the romance I would say that it is a bit of a generalisation to say that it is only the girls who aren't bothered by the romance and only the guys who are. This nerd isn't bothered by it at, all it reminds me of when I was dating.

I do find it suprising that so many people hate the relationship aspect of the show when it was established from the very first episodes that that is what all the guys but sheldon wanted.

There is a difference between wanting romance and getting it ! Just the fact that these boys were trying to get girls (except Sheldon) was half the fun. It was like Niles longing after Daphne on the old Frazier show. That plot line was hilarious, but once they were together one of the funniest aspects of the show was over. Same here, let the boys do all the chasing they want. There poor attempts, and lame lines are half the fun of trying to impress the girls. But stop putting these nerds in unlikely romantic relationship that just seem to take away from the shows whole premise. Keep the girls fine, just don't let the guys win them over. The chase can be much funnier than the catch.

I think the romance on the show is very funny! Like Amy gossiping she had sex with Sheldon,

then Raj asking the others if they realized they really did it!!! That, to me, is BBT romance!

Yes! The Amy/Sheldon 'pseudo-romance' is, to me, real BBT. Attending a Brian Greene lecture and then doing a zany socio-scientific experiment together, clinking cups. That's why I love that 'girl/friend/boy/friend' couple so much. :)

There is a difference between wanting romance and getting it ! Just the fact that these boys were trying to get girls (except Sheldon) was half the fun. It was like Niles longing after Daphne on the old Frazier show. That plot line was hilarious, but once they were together one of the funniest aspects of the show was over. Same here, let the boys do all the chasing they want. There poor attempts, and lame lines are half the fun of trying to impress the girls. But stop putting these nerds in unlikely romantic relationship that just seem to take away from the shows whole premise. Keep the girls fine, just don't let the guys win them over. The chase can be much funnier than the catch.

Yes I agree that story line in fasier was funny but as someone who watched the whole series recently, by season 7 the pining had become a bit tedious.

The Penny / Leonard relationship has been central to the show and as the great Michael J Straczynski once said. "there has to be a pay off for an audience or you will eventually lose them "

The only unlikely romantic scenerio that I see is the Penny Sheldon one that so many talk about. If that happens I will be out:icon_wink:

Same here, let the boys do all the chasing they want. There poor attempts, and lame lines are half the fun of trying to impress the girls. But stop putting these nerds in unlikely romantic relationship that just seem to take away from the shows whole premise. Keep the girls fine, just don't let the guys win them over. The chase can be much funnier than the catch.

This is actually true. As Raj said, 'he was more fun when he had no hope'. But unfortunately (or fortunately?) I find that after spending so much time with these guys, and loving this show so much, I can no longer just think of them as objects to be laughed at. I've started caring about them as persons. Maybe that's why I'm liking to see them shakily and hesitantly move into relationships, rather than perennially be 'with no hope' all their lives.

Secondly, as often pointed out, it's more realistic this way. Barring a few especially off-base exceptions, nerds and brainiacs do get into romance, too, and they do get married; they don't all just keep running unsuccessfully after girls all their lives. The BBT guys doing that for years would make them cardboard characters.

The only unlikely romantic scenerio that I see is the Penny Sheldon one that so many talk about. If that happens I will be out:icon_wink:

Same here. I think. It would be oh-so-weird. Oh well, I guess I wouldn't be out whatever they do. Don't know if that sounded pathetic.. I just seem to find so much joy in watching it!

• 2 weeks later...

I like the Penny and Leonard relationship, and I'm sure this will kick off again come season 5.

Priya annoys me as does Amy. Bernadette was tolerable at the beginning, but it's all getting a little stale atm.

I guess the writers have to cover all facets of storyline, especially with another 3 seasons (at least) to go.

nick

^ I find Bernadette adorable. As as long as Amy isn't acting like Sheldon 2.0, she's pretty funny.

Amy is hilarious! Her interactions with both Penny and Sheldon are priceless. At this point, the show would lose something if Mayim were to leave.