The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
netmouse

Product name changes

adness.... complete adness !!! lolz

It will be interesting to see JK's new website once it's fully up and active. Sounds like a really awesome virtual chatroom... for muggles :)

Well, the Harry Potter thing was the last one for me. I think I've pretty much exhausted the product list of the first 4 seasons.

Roll on season 5. Let the product placement continue !!

Don't know how I missed this.

I noticed a can of Coke Zero hiding behind a Chinese food container during the Dead Hooker ep (the sneaky little dickens !!)

Couldn't quite make out the branding, but it was the "Coca-Cola Zero" badging, but they had edited part of the "Coca-Cola" label.. I think it said "Coca-Co"

Need to freeze and zoom in on it from my pc.

Also, noticed that the Xbox games in the background of the living room during the Pants Alternative ep are still sealed in their plastic.

You can see the white Xbox seal running along the inside spine of several games on the back shelf.

Not quite a name-change, but it's kept my OCD at bay for yet another few days >< lolz

Not a product name change, but just an observation in continuity on the writers part...

Liking how the super heavy duty door lock on the boys apartment has remained since the break in episode during season 3.

The guy who did the "Super Size Me" doco is here in Australia this weekend promoting his new movie about product placement within movies and tv.

Very excited about this !!!

Found another variation on the Monster energy drink cans. Only a small edit, but they shorten the length of the "M" logo on the can.

Was surprised to see a copy of Norton Anti Virus in the boy's bookshelf near the front door. Didn't think Sheldon would be a Norton's man.

I'm an AVG free user myself. Norton killed my last pc.

Norton is an ass of a program. >_> I used to use AVG Free, then I switched to COMODO, another free antivirus/internet program whatchamacallit thingamajig.

[something I agree on actually. Norton cannot be uninstalled in a conventional manner. Instead one is forced to download a removal kit in order to get rid of the damned thing!]

He said something sensible... *faints*

Yeah... Norton imbeds itself in each of your installed programs, files, pics.. bloody everything !!! I found this out the hard way, Seph.

I cannot believe people pay $70 a year to keep this thing active when there are much better free anti virus programs out there... AND ones you can uninstall without reformatting your harddrive !! >< grrrrr Nortons.

Raj drinking a can of SURkist in the season 5 opener.

Still searching.... still adding to the list.

Penny's wine bottle is also obscured with a small sticker.

Waldo would be so proud :D

Unsure if Apple have relaxed a little on their copyright, but in the first two episodes of season 5, the Apple logo on Amy's desktop computer is left non-obscured.

In earlier seasons, the logo has always been covered in some way.

If I was a multi-billion dollar company producing nerdware, I would be more than happy to have it shown off on TBBT.

speaking of mountain dew, the revenge part

sheldon was demonstrating the foam revenge

raj asked what is this, sheldon was like "mountain dew, ahh refreshing"

This was an effective advertising ploy on me. I tried Mountain Dew because of the scene and have enjoyed it ever since.

:icon_mrgreen:

@16th: lolz... the power of television !! :D

I drove an hour to a USA food outlet we have here at home to buy some Yoo-Hoo just to see what it was like.

It's not bad. I can see why it's difficult for Sheldon to say no to it :p

I was also lucky enough to pick up a crate of the 'proper' Dr Pepper... the one that still contains palm sugar. Awesome sugar buzz !!!

There hasn't been a lot of product name changing this season so far.

With the exception of the continual soft drink name changes, I haven't really seen anything of interest yet.

Will have to keep the eyes peeled over the next few episodes.

Spotted another one last night during Leonard's attempts to learn about football.

They were drinking "Orona" beer in Penny's apartment. (Corona with the 'c' whited out)

Season 5 was a bit of a no-show for product name changes. See how season 6 pans out.

Leonard and Sheldon shop at Ralph's Grocery Store, which has 300+ West Coast locations. I've been in some and work for their parent company. On occasion, I'll spot a Ralph's logo on a food product, most recently a 1/2 gallon of orange juice.

ralphs-logo1.jpg-w128h46.jpg

speaking of mountain dew, the revenge part

sheldon was demonstrating the foam revenge

raj asked what is this, sheldon was like "mountain dew, ahh refreshing"

This was an effective advertising ploy on me. I tried Mountain Dew because of the scene and have enjoyed it ever since.

:icon_mrgreen:

Mountain Dew is too sweet for me, and again lots of caffeine, so why again doesn't Sheldon drink coffee?

The only one I've ever noticed is the Diet Cola, because Leanord always has it for Lunch.

They don't seem to be as bothered with technology though, it's pretty obvious that Sheldon has an Alienware laptop and he had a Dell before it was stolen lol (or it's the other way around).

Leonard also has a drink some lunch times called "mist"

Was reading the newspaper at work yesterday (don't tell my boss !!) and saw that Dell are stocking Alienware computers.

I'm guessing this answers my question about why TBBT moved from Dell to A/Ware after the boys have their apartment robbed.

Guess it's the natural progression.

Not that I'm the biggest fan of Dell. Love their computers, just think you pay a little too much for them. However, A/Ware is an awesome breed.

I was looking at a Dell A/Ware laptop similar to Sheldon's new one... it was only $3000.... ahhhh to have that kind of money to burn on a computer.

Howard has an A/Ware stick pin too btw.

It's the green alien head logo that you can also see in the background of the boys apartment... there is an A/Ware computer tower near the model Master Chief helmet from Halo. Sometimes the tower is on the table, sometimes it is on the floor.

I REALLY need to get outside more :icon_rolleyes:

ps... it actually takes just as much time to type "Alienware" as it does to type "A/Ware"

dell makes alienware laptops. the dell xps' they had were just dell's old top of the range gaming laptop.

I raised this question in a newer thread (had to dig deep to find this one that someone mentioned to me) about how the Apple logos are all partially covered or altered, as if no one could tell it was an Apple logo.

I was wondering about the reasons. Usually companies want the product placement because it's easy advertizing. I'm sure they have to pay the network or studio some amount to have their products used on the show, but I'm sure it wouldn't be as much as the cost of an actual prime-time ad during a hit show like TBBT. And if they've got a deal for the show to use their products on air, then why would they want or allow their logos to be modified.

I mentioned in my new thread that on other shows there's obviously some kind of deal where the product names and packaging are prominently shown. In one episode of The Closer, the characters were passing around a bag of Twizzlers, for instance, with the label turned toward the camera.

Usually if a show doesn't want to give free or cheap advertisment to a particular product, they'll just use some completely generic label, like "Cola" or the famous "Morley" cigarette brand, that's used on a lot of TV shows.

Why use a Sobe bottle, or a Fiji water bottle, when they're so easily recognizable, when the characters could just as easily be drinking out of some random-looking plastic bottle with no distinctive colors or shape to it?

Even the laptops could easily be completely disguised. There's no reason for them to use any particular brand, so why not use something with a small logo and then just completely cover it up? Even if they had Apple products, why not just cover the entire logo?

I'd love for someone to pose the question to someone in the know on the show. :icon_wink:

Mountain Dew is too sweet for me, and again lots of caffeine, so why again doesn't Sheldon drink coffee?

Coffee tastes veeeerrrry different from Mountain Dew... :icon_razz:

I think it's just one of those throw-away things that's done for a laugh--the Mountain Dew line, I mean.

The producers have changed the branding just enough to save them the hassle of having to pay the royalties on having them in the show.

I think it's an awesome idea personally.