The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
RoomSwap

Last episode was the worst EVER, should we be worried?!

Does Priya add anything to the show?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Does Priya add anything to the show?

Of course this is just an opinion but Priya does NOTHING for the show, in fact the last episode was by far the worst episode EVER. Does anyone else agree?

• Like 2

From the way things are going, Priya will be gone soon, I guess. No worries. :)

Loved the episode though. Sheldon's 'last battlefield' outsmarting was pure win.

I see Priya as a story arc, basically. She serves a purpose for the ongoing story.

Here's my take: Priya's function is to stir things up. She upsets the equilibrium between Sheldon and Leonard. She brings Penny's insecurities and jealously to the forefront. Along the way, she helps the other three women to honestly bond, which frankly I couldn't imagine happening back when Amy was first introduced.

All of these disturbances create the possibilities for great plots for episodes and new twists to the established relationships. We all know that one of the underlying themes of the show has always been the Penny-Leonard relationship (that was clear from the very first episode), and now we have the lovely situation where Penny is chasing Leonard instead of the other way around. Granted, this is still very low key, but it's there ... Penny is now interested in Leonard while he is NOT interested in her (or is he?).

Priya will be gone soon enough, I don't doubt, once she's served her purpose in the overall storyline. The seeds of her leaving are already planted in her pressuring Leonard to change his circle of friends, in her disdain for his geekiness, and especially in her refusal to acknowledge him to her parents.

In the meantime, I'm enjoying seeing the characters grow, change, revert, flounder, fail, and generally act like, well, characters in a sitcom that has plenty of story yet to tell. A lot of all that bumbling and bullying and carrying-on wouldn't be happening if Priya wasn't around.

I mean, seriously, while I loved the first season and especially the second, I wouldn't want the characters to stagnate in that mode forever. I want to see Sheldon and Penny building their strange friendship ("Adhesive Duck" comes to mind). I want to see Howard change while not really changing at all. I love it all, even as I criticize some episodes for being just a lot of "crazy Sheldon" or being too crude in their humor. I'm a huge fan and that won't change as the storylines evolve and as characters come and go to keep things moving ... and interesting.

Steve

The Wiki

• Like 1

I see Priya as a story arc, basically. She serves a purpose for the ongoing story.

Here's my take: Priya's function is to stir things up. She upsets the equilibrium between Sheldon and Leonard. She brings Penny's insecurities and jealously to the forefront. Along the way, she helps the other three women to honestly bond, which frankly I couldn't imagine happening back when Amy was first introduced.

All of these disturbances create the possibilities for great plots for episodes and new twists to the established relationships. We all know that one of the underlying themes of the show has always been the Penny-Leonard relationship (that was clear from the very first episode), and now we have the lovely situation where Penny is chasing Leonard instead of the other way around. Granted, this is still very low key, but it's there ... Penny is now interested in Leonard while he is NOT interested in her (or is he?).

Priya will be gone soon enough, I don't doubt, once she's served her purpose in the overall storyline. The seeds of her leaving are already planted in her pressuring Leonard to change his circle of friends, in her disdain for his geekiness, and especially in her refusal to acknowledge him to her parents.

In the meantime, I'm enjoying seeing the characters grow, change, revert, flounder, fail, and generally act like, well, characters in a sitcom that has plenty of story yet to tell. A lot of all that bumbling and bullying and carrying-on wouldn't be happening if Priya wasn't around.

I mean, seriously, while I loved the first season and especially the second, I wouldn't want the characters to stagnate in that mode forever. I want to see Sheldon and Penny building their strange friendship ("Adhesive Duck" comes to mind). I want to see Howard change while not really changing at all. I love it all, even as I criticize some episodes for being just a lot of "crazy Sheldon" or being too crude in their humor. I'm a huge fan and that won't change as the storylines evolve and as characters come and go to keep things moving ... and interesting.

Steve

The Wiki

Yeah Priya is obviously a something to hurl the plot along. I think her main point is to bring Penny and Leonard together again. Amy gave that away when she and Penny spoke about Leonard being a "great guy".

@The German Scientist: I don't think it's her being too normal per se that annoys people, but that she tries to change Leonard. She's also very judgemental against Penny, in my opinion. She seems to be very catty. Obviously she doesn't fit in with the personalities of the other guys too. She just tolerates how they are but thinks that their lifestyles are immature... whereas Penny joined in a bit more, even if it's not what she's used to.

In the meantime, I'm enjoying seeing the characters grow, change, revert, flounder, fail, and generally act like, well, characters in a sitcom that has plenty of story yet to tell.

This. Loved this line. :)

I also don't like Priya very much (i.e. I'm not sympathetic towards a character, though I think she's very well played). I guess it's because she's so terribly adult. If you come to think about it, all the other characters (maybe with the exception of Missy) are children inside, every one in his/her own way, while Priya is mature, determined, polite, reserved and well-behaved - an ideal woman, but an awful girl. I have the poster 'I want to believe' (yes, the one from X-Files) in my room and I collect blue d20 dices, and I guess it was to be expected that I don't sympathize with her.

BTW, did you know that 'Priya' means in Sanskrit 'the beloved one'?

I think Steve sums it all up nicely.

@Martian Girl glad to see I'm not the only one who has a collection of D&D dice.

definitely NOT the worst episode ever...the only episode im not really fond of is when they were going to see the shooting stars

as for priya, im not a fan of hers

penny begins to fall for leonard and also she actually understands the video games they playing because when once got addicted to it.

she even watched the "new" star wars movie when the gang went to north pole

eventually i see leonard not liking priya because

raj and her parents won't approve and she doesn't want them to know about her

the gang doesn't really like her too much

only this episode there were fine because she went against sheldon

remember when they went to retrieve sheldon's fake imaginary crap LOL

penny was the one who helped out and howard was like why couldn't you work out with this one, shes funny

This was not the worst episode. For me I found the episode where they gang was making the penny blossoms the worst. I just found it to be boring. That is probably the only episode out of all 4 seasons that I will skip watching on the DVD.

Since I really find smoking so repulsive I had a hard time with those scenes but other than that I liked the rest of the episode.

I am not a big fan or Priya either!

This was not the worst episode. For me I found the episode where they gang was making the penny blossoms the worst. I just found it to be boring.

i thought it was funny...i love the part sheldon turns into flash..

"where's the coffee?"

i'll be back before this banana hits the ground...zoom zoom zoom

lmao

Work Song Nanocluster, boring? Seriously? Wow, tastes do differ.

This was not the worst episode. For me I found the episode where they gang was making the penny blossoms the worst. I just found it to be boring.

i thought it was funny...i love the part sheldon turns into flash..

"where's the coffee?"

i'll be back before this banana hits the ground...zoom zoom zoom

lmao

I think every episode has funny moments but the subject or focus of the Work Song Nanocluster is boring to me.

well they have to have funny moments, but you can't expect every second of it to be funny...then it would be just straight up laughs

[it's funny that you are talking about character development... I'm from Australia so we aren't as quick to air with the new episodes besides I just got into TBBT and so just hired the 4th season to watch(the 5th comes out next mon on tv I believe..) anyway I can't believe I'm going to say this but after watching 4 seasons as hilarious as the show is.. I'm getting a little bored there is not as much character development as I would've liked... Sheldon's narsacisstic comments are getting a bit tiresome too..sometimes it's balanced out when he shows his vulnerabilities but that's few and far between...

I would say I don't know maybe Howard's the only one who's made any real change (eg deciding to get married)

If the series keeps this up I don't know I'm just going to watch it like .. How I would watch Seinfield.. Watch it once in a while because you don't miss much even if you skip a season..

Sorry I do love the show hence why I watched all 4 seasons within the last week but am just a bit disappointed that's all..

(I'll have to wait til the new how I met your mother comes out!)

Thoughts?

It was not the worst episode ever. It was a funny episode.

Loved the smoking monkey :D

Oh and Sheldon gets kissed :)

Don't feel bad about being disappointed in season 4, many people were. IMO it get's better in season 5 even though this last episode left allot to be desired, once again, IMO.