4.24 The Roommate Transmogrification (May 19)

Tripper

I personally really liked this episode. I can see Penny and Raj becoming an item. Honestly, what is wrong with Raj? He likes chick flicks, follows Martha Stewart, and is super funny. Plus Leonard dated his sister even though he told him to stay away from her. I feel like that's much more of a betrayal than dating your friend's ex. You can change your friends but you can't change your family.

Guys: Leonard and Penny WILL get back together! That's a given! They'll get married and have children that are both smart and beautiful (and not at all imaginary! ^_^ ). Let them get there, and just enjoy the journey!

Now let's get back to Raj and Penny. First thing, Leonard is no longer completely crazy over Penny! That was given a while ago, he moved on with Priya. As much as you don't like Priya, the fact is he moved on. With Raj's sister. Secondly, Penny and Leonard broke up A YEAR AGO! Thirdly, they hinted a lot lately that Raj feels pretty lonely. That was shown back when Leonard dated Penny and Howard started dating Bernadette, and things can't get better now that Sheldon has (sorta) Amy and the only true single people in the whole group are Penny and him! Lastly, they were both very drunk!

My point being, all those stuff above, it doesn't make them ''bad''. Leonard moved on a while ago, so can Penny. They were broken up for over a year as well! I do understand that you might not be a particular fan of the potential couple there, 'cause you might think Leonard and Penny are meant to be together but, like I said, they will be anyway, but before reaching that end they must go throught the journey. If that journey involves Penny having a relationship with a guy who can't even speak with her unless he's drunk and who's one of her ex's friend, let it be and let's laught about it!

Oh, yeah, that's a last point here: This show is a sitcom, not a drama! Why take this whole Penny/Leonard/Raj triangle so seriously, instead of laughting at the new, unexpected and hilarious situation that this is?

Yeah to the two guys (or even one guy posing as two guys perhaps? :p) accusing everyone of racism here, you should take the chips off of your shoulders. Looking over the thread again, no one mentioned or said anything regarding Raj being Indian, only that he betrayed a friend. I don't see it that way but that's not the point. No racism at all - and if people really are thinking it, they are certainly not saying it.

The only thing more annoying than racism is when people see racism where there is clearly none.

It's not one guy.

I'm not accusing everyone of racism. nor did I single anyone out. In fact didn't I say some people defended it?

You don't have to say, "I hate penny and raj hooking up because raj is indian!" to be racist.

Ignorance can be as annoying as blatant racism.

What I will say is I suspect if Raj was not Indian I think the hookup may not be perceived as negatively.

It can be argued that Raj's whole character is quite racist... as well as Howard I guess.. and others...

White people get pretty self defensive if they think people think they are racist. lol is it racist of me to say that? have you ever heard on of em say, "I'm not racist, I have a black friend!" I actually have, haha.

Sorry for trolling... I"m done now.

The only thing more annoying than racism is when people see racism where there is clearly none.

Well put. I could easily cry "offensive" at the whole show because I hold a science degree, but I don't, because I love the whole geek aspect. I studied some of that stuff at university.

I haven't seen the whole episode yet, but have seen snippets on youtube and I have seen the scene in question. I don't think it was a good idea on the writers' part, because of the whole friendship and betrayal thing.

The Leonard/Penny paradigm is very Ross/Rachel, and when Joey wanted to date Rachel, he thought it through a lot (especially for Joey! :icon_wink:) and there was a lot of discussion before pursuing anything. Of course, alcohol wasn't part of the equation then.

I just hope they can come up with a good explanation that doesn't screw anything up.

Oh please that's original the same ole line about calling a racist is racist..ha ha...of course no one ever mentions it, but all we are saying is it is there. And no, we are not the same person. I just thank goodness there are lotsa open minded people in Cali. I get me some all the time and my girlfriend is the whitest Kansan I know..ha ha.

Exactly, the whole stereotyping is racist, I said that if there is no evidence to back up the claim, a person calling someone racist is a tool. To justify it by saying that is our culture...bla bla bla and making excuses is rubbish. I say it one more time...if Raj's character is a blonde haired, blue eyed guy...people would say it is a great episode.

I never said that calling someone racist is racist. Go and read my post properly. SOME people are annoyed at Raj (the fictional one) because they see him as betraying his friend, others (like me for example) don't see a problem with it. Going ahead and assuming that they have a problem with it because Raj is Indian, is beyond retarded. If all you see when someone has a problem with another who happens to be Indian, is racism, then you are deluded.

A good example of this is that I think you sound like a complete moron, but it has nothing to do with the fact that you are Indian, I assure you ;)

As with you saying that if Raj was white, everyone would think it's great, that is complete Bull$#@! Have you even seen the episode? You seem completely ignorant as why people have a problem, even when it's been pointed out to you already. A clear sign of someone who believes what he wants to believe. Go rewatch the entire 4th season of TBBT and then you might understand why people are REALLY against Dr. Koothrappali.

I would like to point out that I'm not making any excuses for the writers - they are feeding stereotypes, that's true, but that's only because Chuck Lorre is a completely unfunny imbacile (IMHO). At best I personally just turn a blind eye to jokes certered on stereotypes. Coming on the forum and accusing people of racism is where the line is drawn, however. If anyone was being racist, they would have had a horde of people slamming them down, believe me.

Also I have to agree with BazingaGirl here - lets not forget where the main fun making comes in. They make fun of geek/nerd stereotypes, i.e collecting comics, playing video games, being socially akward, having physical ailments etc. I'm as healthy as can be and my social skills are fine, but I'm still very nerdy. Do they really see us all like this? It is of course, an extreme view on how us "geeks" are. The trick is to recognise it as a TV show which is making light hearted fun of it's target audience. It's a tried and tested formula which has been used with alot of shows.

You know what? I can't see why everyone is so concerned with the whole Penny/Raj story. It's certainly not the first time when someone or other of the main characters ended up in bed with someone else just because they were drunk. (It's not very realistic, but again, it's a sitcom.) The amount of Penny's sexual partners had once been estimated accordingly by Amy & Sheldon, and Raj's behaviour can really change after alcohol, so what's so strange? And I cannot see at all what all this has to do with racism. If this was the case, people would react even more angrily to Leonard's relationship with Priya, wouldn't they?

I think the real problem is that Raj's character gradually becomes less and less likeable: he often behaves like a girl (Tyra Banks's make-up advices, indeed!), is childish and annoying. This goes already too far.

For me, Sheldon's 'massage' was much more funny, and the whole story about Bernadette's doctorate was the most interesting motive in the episode - and the most annoying at the same time.

I think that Howard's reaction to Bernadette's announcement was really great. He wouldn't perceive the whole money & position problematic at all if his friends didn't laugh at him. The way it ended (Rolex...) conveyed a message: if a woman earns more than a man, a man is in trouble. OK, I realize it's just a TV show, but I think I expected some kind of a turn of events in the end so that the group would appear more funny (with their neverending pursuit of random women) than Howard (with the fiancee with PhD).

Unfortunately, our cinema and TV only portrays all Indian guys like they are all geeks who can't even talk to girls. What a BS and racist rubbish stereotype of Indian men. The creators of this show are prejudice fools...sadly, I am not sure even they realize it. What the racists don't understand is that there aren't nearly any Rajs around.

Look at the typical portrayal:

1. Kumar - super genious nerd who doesn't get laid so he smokes pot

2. Van Wilder's Badalandabad, who needed some dumb failure whitey's help to get laid

3. Raj from this racist show who can't even say "blow me" to a girl without alcohol

Apu from The Simpsons runs a very successful business, has a nice car and marries a pretty hot looking lady and has 6 kids.

Yeah to the two guys (or even one guy posing as two guys perhaps? :p) accusing everyone of racism here, you should take the chips off of your shoulders. Looking over the thread again, no one mentioned or said anything regarding Raj being Indian, only that he betrayed a friend. I don't see it that way but that's not the point. No racism at all - and if people really are thinking it, they are certainly not saying it.

amen to this !!!!

I think the real problem is that Raj's character gradually becomes less and less likeable: he often behaves like a girl (Tyra Banks's make-up advices, indeed!), is childish and annoying. This goes already too far.

Totally agree, but I think all of the characters, not just Raj and save Penny and Sheldon, are changing for the worse. (because those two don't really change, which is good)

There is nothing racist about the ending.

The people who calls Penny a slut, well they are right on the spot for a simple reason:

SHE dumped Leonard cause, and I remember well that scene, she told Leonard that she said "I love you" so much times that I got burned.

Now she met the perfect guy, and she admit that, and she doesn't have the balls to make a step backward and play her cards right.

Now I'm one of the guys that didn't like how Raj behaved on Bernadette too: if you are a real good friends no matter what you don't act like that.

Alchool could be an excuse, but not the ultimate reset button.

There is no way that you can face a person after something like the season ending.

Some says that maybe Nothing did happens ... sooo?

It's like saying that you shoot somebody but you missed ... okey you missed but you shoot in the first place right?

About Pryia ... well another manipulative slut that doesn't have the guts to tell her parents that she is dating a "white chocolate" guy ... she didn't even told Leo that she was going back to India, nobody got the part where she is just having fun with Leonard and then dump him again?

Guest Raj Blagojevich

Well put. I could easily cry "offensive" at the whole show because I hold a science degree, but I don't, because I love the whole geek aspect. I studied some of that stuff at university.

I haven't seen the whole episode yet, but have seen snippets on youtube and I have seen the scene in question. I don't think it was a good idea on the writers' part, because of the whole friendship and betrayal thing.

The Leonard/Penny paradigm is very Ross/Rachel, and when Joey wanted to date Rachel, he thought it through a lot (especially for Joey! :icon_wink:) and there was a lot of discussion before pursuing anything. Of course, alcohol wasn't part of the equation then.

I just hope they can come up with a good explanation that doesn't screw anything up.

Science is not a race genius lol. It is very different...you choose to do what you do, but you are what you are.

You know what? I can't see why everyone is so concerned with the whole Penny/Raj story. It's certainly not the first time when someone or other of the main characters ended up in bed with someone else just because they were drunk. (It's not very realistic, but again, it's a sitcom.) The amount of Penny's sexual partners had once been estimated accordingly by Amy & Sheldon, and Raj's behaviour can really change after alcohol, so what's so strange? And I cannot see at all what all this has to do with racism. If this was the case, people would react even more angrily to Leonard's relationship with Priya, wouldn't they?

For me, Sheldon's 'massage' was much more funny, and the whole story about Bernadette's doctorate was the most interesting motive in the episode - and the most annoying at the same time.

I think that Howard's reaction to Bernadette's announcement was really great. He wouldn't perceive the whole money & position problematic at all if his friends didn't laugh at him. The way it ended (Rolex...) conveyed a message: if a woman earns more than a man, a man is in trouble. OK, I realize it's just a TV show, but I think I expected some kind of a turn of events in the end so that the group would appear more funny (with their neverending pursuit of random women) than Howard (with the fiancee with PhD).

You know why they are concerned? Because Raj is an Indian guy and all the white nerds watching this show think that if Penny does Leonard, it is like she's doing all of them to....ha ha ha, but if she does Raj...WOW, she is a an el slutatilo

Unfortunately, our cinema and TV only portrays all Indian guys like they are all geeks who can't even talk to girls. What a BS and racist rubbish stereotype of Indian men. The creators of this show are prejudice fools...sadly, I am not sure even they realize it. What the racists don't understand is that there aren't nearly any Rajs around.

Look at the typical portrayal:

1. Kumar - super genious nerd who doesn't get laid so he smokes pot

2. Van Wilder's Badalandabad, who needed some dumb failure whitey's help to get laid

3. Raj from this racist show who can't even say "blow me" to a girl without alcohol

Apu from The Simpsons runs a very successful business, has a nice car and marries a pretty hot looking lady and has 6 kids.

amen to this !!!!

That's a great analogy sunshine. Apu is a cartoon and his character is one of the most made fun of characters on the Simpsons.

The only thing more annoying then people saying the most annoying thing is when people say racism where there is none is when someone that has no clue what racism is and doesn't understand that is doesn't need to be a frontal verbal attack on ethnicity makes comments about knowing where the racism is.

There is nothing racist about the ending.

The people who calls Penny a slut, well they are right on the spot for a simple reason:

SHE dumped Leonard cause, and I remember well that scene, she told Leonard that she said "I love you" so much times that I got burned.

Now she met the perfect guy, and she admit that, and she doesn't have the balls to make a step backward and play her cards right.

Now I'm one of the guys that didn't like how Raj behaved on Bernadette too: if you are a real good friends no matter what you don't act like that.

Alchool could be an excuse, but not the ultimate reset button.

There is no way that you can face a person after something like the season ending.

Some says that maybe Nothing did happens ... sooo?

It's like saying that you shoot somebody but you missed ... okey you missed but you shoot in the first place right?

About Priya... well another manipulative slut that doesn't have the guts to tell her parents that she is dating a "white chocolate" guy ... she didn't even told Leo that she was going back to India, nobody got the part where she is just having fun with Leonard and then dump him again?

So dumping someone makes them a slut? man, come on be honest...you never dumped anyone? when the connection is not there you just gotta let em go....they move on, you move on. And just because you are a little bit sad about breaking up shortly after the breakup doesn't make it a mistake, or even a bad thing, nor does it mean you were actually meant to be together.

I've had a few break ups and been broken up with too, one or two of them did indeed turn out to be sluts...ha ha ha, but not because they broke up with my dumb, drunk, dark ass.

Raj either you are deliberately misunderstanding everyone here, are you a complete idiot, which is it? I was refering to stereotypes, racial or not, and that they make fun of alot of things which could offend for alot of reasons.

I also love the way you regurgitated something I said back to me but in different words and managed to turn it into complete gibberish in the process. Congratulations on sounding like an even bigger tool than you already did. It's like talking to parrot that has been hit by a car and got brain damage.

You already admited that you are a troll, so why are you still here? I have doubts to whether you even watch this show if I'm honest...

I'm not talking here about "vodka mix" I'm talking about jiggers and good company. Poles can party all night drinking vodka, I don't really know how this works. But, as I've said I'm not a fan, beer, wine and cocktails on the other hand, that's a different story ;).

@Destyre, where do you live now?

This is truly fantastic...you are all justifying ridiculous stereo types. floyd_girl....I mean really, that is disappointing. Part of our culture, and you see nothing wrong with that??? I knew of another guy in Nazi Germany that used to stereo type too. It was wrong then, it is wrong now. And I seriously doubt a character like Raj exists in reality. If we are stereo typing then maybe I should say it too, it is probably the gas station attendant the creator met at Shell....I mean he was Indian, his name was Raj, so he must've been socially awkward, and a genious.

I haven't had time to look at this thread earlier, but did you compare me to Hitler? It's just wrong. There's one thing that you clearly have some kind of complex, but that is just below comprehension. Maybe my mind isn't as open as I thought it is, but sorry for saying that - you need help. How can you accuse us of racism? Because some of us don't like the ending of the season 4? It's only fiction! You need to get a life. I would be the same, for example if I said "well, I Jewish, I don't like how portrayal Jewish people in this sitcom, they have to me a bunch of racist" or "I'm a scientist, and I'm not socially awkward, and they try to mock people like me". It's just ridiculous. There's no racist in here, I can assure you. No one said anything about the fact that Raj is Indian, the person who started it was you!

So dumping someone makes them a slut? man, come on be honest...you never dumped anyone? when the connection is not there you just gotta let em go....they move on, you move on. And just because you are a little bit sad about breaking up shortly after the breakup doesn't make it a mistake, or even a bad thing, nor does it mean you were actually meant to be together.

I've had a few break ups and been broken up with too, one or two of them did indeed turn out to be sluts...ha ha ha, but not because they broke up with my dumb, drunk, dark ass.

Nonono.

It's not the dumping that makes them a slut, not at all.

That kind of things happens and that's ok, but it's how she behave (Penny) that makes me really angry.

Penny went from being a girl dreaming to be an actress to a girl who only comes around for free food. Remember when she asked Raj and Howard if they wanted to buy her underwear?

Not only did Penny and Raj have sex, but they did it in Leonard's bed.

• Like 1

Penny went from being a girl dreaming to be an actress to a girl who only comes around for free food. Remember when she asked Raj and Howard if they wanted to buy her underwear?

And Leonard had sex with Raj's sister in Raj's bed.

I'm pretty sure that Raj knew Priya was going to sleep with Leonard in his bed sooner or later when he gave her his bedroom. He should have told her to get her own apartment if he was really bothered by it. What did he do? He just walked away whining.

I'm pretty sure that Raj knew Priya was going to sleep with Leonard in his bed sooner or later when he gave her his bedroom. He should have told her to get her own apartment if he was really bothered by it. What did he do? He just walked away whining.

Well it's all down to their parents, remember? They would check on them and insist that Raj put her up..

well, according the "modified roommate agreement for a temporary house guest" that is the temporary raj's bed

how would says the skinny weirdo all the rest is irrilevant

All I can say to anyone who is supporting Raj and Penny is I'm glad you aren't my mate. I know people who have had relationships with friends sisters and as long as they show the sister respect it's accepted but I've never met anyone who accepted a friend sleeping with an ex especially one they were in love with.

Seriously screwed the series for me.

Plus it really isn't very likely even if you put all that aside. Penny has said many times Leonard isn't her type normally and it took years for him to sleep with her even drunk she wouldn't choose Raj. Let's just go the whole hog and have the four guys gang bang her next season it seems the next step on the sleazy slope they've created for her.

Really can't believe no one in the writing team or production didn't look at this and think "this is really going to screw the series up maybe we should rethink this."

All I can say to anyone who is supporting Raj and Penny is I'm glad you aren't my mate.

That's a bit harsh :p I do think it's a stupid thing to do from the writer's point of view, Raj has been made to look a total ass this season. Leonard can't really say much as he has a girlfriend (though I don't think for much longer) so there is not much say he has in it, since Raj and Penny are both single.

I know why they did this of course. To create drama in the next season and to draw out Leonard and Penny's love interest as long as possible. That's all.

I'm a harsh man but only on the outside lol:icon_cheesygrin:

But seriously they may both be single adults and so on but there are lines close friends don't cross.

I get why they did it but it's out of character for both Raj and Penny(for the last three seasons anyway) and even for a sitcom it's something that you can't come back from. I just don't buy Penny and Leonard getting back together after this unless Raj is gone and I certainly don't see Leonard being mates with Raj if anything even a meek Leonard would take a swing at him.

I'm surprised how much this has bothered me, it really has ruined the series for me.

I don't think I'm the only one as the cast and Bill Prady normally tweet about episodes and general stuff but they have been very quiet since the finale which is very unusual even on cliff hangers they normally tease fans about what could happen. I think there may have been a backlash.

• Like 1

But seriously they may both be single adults and so on but there are lines close friends don't cross.

I get why they did it but it's out of character for both Raj and Penny(for the last three seasons anyway) and even for a sitcom it's something that you can't come back from. I just don't buy Penny and Leonard getting back together after this unless Raj is gone and I certainly don't see Leonard being mates with Raj if anything even a meek Leonard would take a swing at him.

I'm surprised how much this has bothered me, it really has ruined the series for me.

I don't think I'm the only one as the cast and Bill Prady normally tweet about episodes and general stuff but they have been very quiet since the finale which is very unusual even on cliff hangers they normally tease fans about what could happen. I think there may have been a backlash.

I'd like to disagree with some points but really I thought it was pointless, while I see nothing really wrong with it. (especially since Leonard completely ignored Raj's wishes for him to leave his sister alone) Ultimately though, this season has been the worst by far, and by the looks of it it's going to get even worse in the next season. I wouldn't be surprised if the ratings started dropping, and I'm inclined to shrug the sitcom off altogether myself. It's just not what I started watching it for. They have resorted to cheap gags, sitcom cliches and stale scenarios. We might as well be watching Two and a half men.

I'd like to disagree with some points but really I thought it was pointless, while I see nothing really wrong with it. (especially since Leonard completely ignored Raj's wishes for him to leave his sister alone) Ultimately though, this season has been the worst by far, and by the looks of it it's going to get even worse in the next season. I wouldn't be surprised if the ratings started dropping, and I'm inclined to shrug the sitcom off altogether myself. It's just not what I started watching it for. They have resorted to cheap gags, sitcom cliches and stale scenarios. We might as well be watching Two and a half men.

I actually love Two and a half men equally with the Big Bang Theory. I liked this season and I really like the direction the characters are going. They are evolving and their relationships are complicated, just like real life while still being funny.

I'm not talking here about "vodka mix" I'm talking about jiggers and good company. Poles can party all night drinking vodka, I don't really know how this works. But, as I've said I'm not a fan, beer, wine and cocktails on the other hand, that's a different story ;).

@Destyre, where do you live now?

This is truly fantastic...you are all justifying ridiculous stereo types. floyd_girl....I mean really, that is disappointing. Part of our culture, and you see nothing wrong with that??? I knew of another guy in Nazi Germany that used to stereo type too. It was wrong then, it is wrong now. And I seriously doubt a character like Raj exists in reality. If we are stereo typing then maybe I should say it too, it is probably the gas station attendant the creator met at Shell....I mean he was Indian, his name was Raj, so he must've been socially awkward, and a genious.

I haven't had time to look at this thread earlier, but did you compare me to Hitler? It's just wrong. There's one thing that you clearly have some kind of complex, but that is just below comprehension. Maybe my mind isn't as open as I thought it is, but sorry for saying that - you need help. How can you accuse us of racism? Because some of us don't like the ending of the season 4? It's only fiction! You need to get a life. I would be the same, for example if I said "well, I Jewish, I don't like how portrayal Jewish people in this sitcom, they have to me a bunch of racist" or "I'm a scientist, and I'm not socially awkward, and they try to mock people like me". It's just ridiculous. There's no racist in here, I can assure you. No one said anything about the fact that Raj is Indian, the person who started it was you!

Yes basically, I am sorry if you are offended, but Hitler's whole regime was based on stereotyping the Jewish man, poor, rich, half, full, black hair, light hair, they were all Jews he said. I mean, I am not saying you approve of Hitler like stuff, but if the shoe fits then um...

If all the people watching this racist show got a life then it would go off the air ha ha...chill out, I know you ain't trying to justify Adolf, but again, you did say sterotypes were our culture and were trying to justify it. Look at ur own post girl.

good for Penny.

Now you crossed a line, do you know the line between being pain in the ass and being a real ass-hole? Well, you crossed it. What I said was - the stereotypes are part of our culture, if you like it or not, we can't change it. I didn't say that I agree or that it's a good way to look at things. I also wrote that I don't look at people as a stereotype. Actually, I'm very tolerable, for example I was able to tolerate your bullshit up to this moment, now it's over. And FYI - most of us have a life: family, work, study, that's why we don't have a problem with ourselves and see difference between television and real life! You read only parts of our posts that suits you, or maybe you read them as a whole but don't understand, I don't know which one and honestly I don't care. One way or another - people like you make me sad.

Why hasn't Raj Blagojevich been banned yet, admin? It's quite obvious that he's only here to aggravate people. What with him accusing members of being like Hitler because they don't agree with his deluded views, don't you think it's time to shut him down?

Seems like you are projecting your inadequacies onto people you don't know on the internet. Does it make you feel big and tough telling a perfectly fine person who you don't know from Adam, that they are like Hitler? You are a pathetic, cowardly little man and if you act like this in real life, it's no wonder you can't get a girl like Penny. I'd examine yourself carefully if I were you. And the colour of your skin and origins is the least of your worries.

Now kindly crawl back into that hole where you slithered out from and stop embarassing yourself.