The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CharmedOne

A-Z: Household Items

Abacus, a wooden rack thingy with rows of colorful beads. I only wish I knew how the heck the ruddy thing worked; had one as a youngster, never gog the hang of it. 

How to use an abacus. (I think)

Each row of beads represents hundreds, tens and units, there are ten beads per row, starting at the left of the frame, and when adding you would push the required number of beads to the right.

e.g. for 55, you would push 5 beads from the 10's row, and 5 from the units. To add 27 to 55, you would first push the remaining beads in the units to the left, but there won't be enough, so push all ten units back to the right, push one from the tens then push the remaining two units, finally you push the two tens beads across. Then count all the beads on the right of the frame in their respective multiples. 

Hope this makes sense.

Bottles of pop.

• Penny Thumbs Up 1

On 6/16/2019 at 12:45 PM, KT1972 said:

How to use an abacus. (I think)

Each row of beads represents hundreds, tens and units, there are ten beads per row, starting at the left of the frame, and when adding you would push the required number of beads to the right.

e.g. for 55, you would push 5 beads from the 10's row, and 5 from the units. To add 27 to 55, you would first push the remaining beads in the units to the left, but there won't be enough, so push all ten units back to the right, push one from the tens then push the remaining two units, finally you push the two tens beads across. Then count all the beads on the right of the frame in their respective multiples. 

Hope this makes sense.

Bottles of pop.

Actually, that does make sense. Thanks.   :)

Cork