The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
netmouse

Have you ever been flamed?

Along the lines of Sherminator's "how many internet forums do you post on" thread...

How many of us have been flamed on a forum site for simply asking a question?

Feel free to name and shame the forum site too if you feel the need :)

My all time, horror forum site is gamefaqs.com

It is a forum spawned off the gamespot.com site (which is an awesome site for anything video games)

I visit GFaqs regularly to check on walkthroughs, faqs and the forum boards. I have no idea why I continue to post on this site, but some higher being compells me to do it on a semi-regular basis.

I got flamed yesterday for simply posting a possible glitch fix on a game. Had 3 of the forum chiefs shoot me down as a "newb poster" based simply on the fact that my user level is particularly low due to my infrequent visits to the site.

Great site to visit for info... just don't log in and ask anything stoopid (stoopid apparently means "anything" on GFaqs)

Long time back, about 4 years ago on a section of the Ubisoft forums. Some spammer was flaming me for 'always being online', but thankfully a few other people stuck up for me!

Long time back, about 4 years ago on a section of the Ubisoft forums. Some spammer was flaming me for 'always being online', but thankfully a few other people stuck up for me!

Wow, that's a very silly reason for a flame. I mean, flames are generally stupid, but this really goes beyond my imagination. :icon_cheesygrin:

I've been flamed once in Livejournal for stating that I don't like "slash" fanfiction when the original characters wouldn't be involved in "slash" relationship. I was accused of being homophobic, while the reason is that I just like fanfictions more when they are more similar to the original sources.

Urban Dictionary: omophobic adjective. ( Omo fobic ) the fear of the sound Aum used in sanskrit mantras and hippie circles.

www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=omophobic - Cached - Similar

This is what came up when I googled "omophobic"... is it this word, Melyanna or have you dropped the "H" ?

Urban Dictionary: omophobic adjective. ( Omo fobic ) the fear of the sound Aum used in sanskrit mantras and hippie circles.

www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=omophobic - Cached - Similar

This is what came up when I googled "omophobic"... is it this word, Melyanna or have you dropped the "H" ?

Obviously dropped the H, due to typing too quickly.

Thank you for pointing that out. I have edited the post.

Wow, that's a very silly reason for a flame. I mean, flames are generally stupid, but this really goes beyond my imagination. :icon_cheesygrin:

Tell me about it! But the dumb@$$ who did it got banned. >=D

@melyanna... I wasn't pointing out an error, I actually thought it was quite funny as to the fact that there is an actual word "omophobic" in existence and it's meaning.

Back on topic, there are a lot of trolls out there in forum land. They show up in the most unexpected places too... for instance, we had our own little troll visit this forum the other night during the SE04-24 discussion thread.

Thankfully, he is no longer with us. God bless moderation.

@melyanna... I wasn't pointing out an error, I actually thought it was quite funny as to the fact that there is an actual word "omophobic" in existence and it's meaning.

Oh, OK then!

I had a look here: http://phobialist.com and there's quite a few that are as strange:

Euphobia- Fear of hearing good news. :icon_eek:

Have not been flamed yet. "All in good time".

Unfortunately, I can't resist a link and went to phobialist.com.....

Barophobia - The Fear of Gravity

Great now every time I get on the scale I will be thinking about that!

There was no phobia of phobia.com listed but I think I just came up with an new one for it.

phobialistphobia!

Fear of gravity is pretty funny. It would probably lead to a phobia of falling down as a result !

Like the old joke about the guy who falls over in the street. A man comes up to him and asks "Have a fall?" and the guy answers "No thanks, just had one"

Their mods are hopeless, Seph. It's a really nasty site. The Playstation2 board is nice. No trolls on it. They all tend to hang out on the xbox board.

Gaming forums are the worst sites EVER for flaming. Unless you're part of the elitist circle jerk, anything you type is going to get shot down in the most insulting, Special Olympics way possible - especially if you're a girl who disagrees with the misogynistic, elitist OP. Actually, that's not completely true - the OP is usually a n00b and the real volley of bags-of-flaming-shit are flung by a bunch of elitist ass-pirates who swoop in and hijack the thread to further their own agendas.

Just check out this thread for an example: http://www.mgtowforums.com/forums/mens-general-discussion/6516-wtf-empowered-women-video-games-now.html (If you can't access that, check out this write-up with direct quotes on the now infamous thread: http://www.destructoid.com/-wtf-is-with-empowered-women-in-video-games-now--219511.phtml).*

What makes the flaming even flame-ier is the mods join in and delete all posts that argue against the OP. :thumbs up: Hateful ignorance at its finest.

*Note: MGTOW isn't a gaming forum, but it does have a gaming section.

@Alien: I hope you're being delibarately provocative?? lolz

Heya /wave nice to see you... you've been hiding :D

I didn't even know what flaming meant, never been on those sites. It's interesting how the internet has become the new tool for people to vent their aggression. Hiding behind avatars and writing stuff they'd never have the balls to say to your face. I guess it's a lot safer :icon_cheesygrin: still it's not much of an evolution, more like a regression

Some time ago I got involved in an online gaming site (an MMORPG), due to one thing and another I was recruited as a game & forum moderator... I have been flamed & spit roasted, I'm now immune LOL

It does help to be able to ban those who light the fires, but I have to say it is not always the right thing to do, no matter how satisfying.

Obviously there are cases where you have no option, but they are fewer than you might think. Moderation can be an odd path to follow, but it is quite satisfying. :)

I frequent (and am a moderator) a Janet Jackson forum - I've been there since 2006 and a lot of the other members are bitchy and catty, really nasty. I've got into some really heated arguments with them. I wanted to leave but it's been so many years now and there are some perks to being a mod ;)

Go to any Star Wars forum, make an account, and ask *any* question. You will get flamed 10 ways to Sunday. "We already discussed that 3 years ago newb!!!!! I hate people who make an account on a forum then make posts!! Stop trolling!"

And then the obvious, any forum on religion or creationism/evolution.