The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
keithb103

I seriously hate Amy Farrah Fowler

Does anyone else besides me think that this character ruined most of the fourth season? I have disliked EVERY EPISODE that she's been in so far. She is not funny, not charming, annoying, and shows that the writers are running out of ideas. She sucks. Big time.

If they ran her over with a train for the season finale, I would cheer.

• Like 4

I started off disliking her. I thought she was extremely wooden (and not in a humourous way either). It was like she was trying to be a female version of Sheldon (although Jim Parsons portrays Sheldon with absolute comic brilliance and the character is far from mundane and wooden). But as the series progressed, I warmed to her as she loosened up when she hung out with the girls.

Not my favourite character by any means, but way, way better than Priya. For me, I would be ecstatic if she got run over by a large train asap!!!

I disagree. I like her, especially in the second half of the season. I like the scenes with Amy, Penny and Bernadette together.

I do agree with BazingaGirl about Priya, but I suspect that the writers really wanted us to dislike Priya, so it's an epic WIN on their side. :D

I don't particularly dislike her as such. I cringe a little at some of the stuff that comes out of her mouth though.

The comment about her electric toothbrush comes to mind.

Not that I'm a prude or anything, I just don't think this level of humour fits in with the overall feel of the show.

I don't particularly dislike her as such. I cringe a little at some of the stuff that comes out of her mouth though.

The comment about her electric toothbrush comes to mind.

Not that I'm a prude or anything, I just don't think this level of humour fits in with the overall feel of the show.

That comment made me cringe, too! Just like any instance of toilet humour.

But I don't see it as related to the character, I think it's more a combination of uninspired writing and mainstream jokes.

Well, I've already written a couple of times in different topics that I really like Amy Farrah Fowler, but this thread sounds to me like an invitation to write once more ;)

Actually, Amy is my favourite character in the show, and the only one I can identify, first and foremost because she is so authentic as a female geek (she shares this trait with Leslie Winkle, who, sadly, disappeared from the show). Yes, she is stiff - because this is her way of maintaining psychical homeostasis. I agree that there has been recently too much toilet humour in the show, but I don't think it's because of the introduction of Amy.

Just like the guys, she has intellectual interests which are often mentioned and which influence her attitude to life, which is a good practical definition of geekiness. And, just like the guys, she is also interested in sex, exchange of opinions, and having friends - but, again like them, she sees all these things through the lens of her scientific profession, which has tragicomical effect. Because of all this she is much more developed as a character than e.g. Bernadette. If she was removed from the show, I'd be disappointed.

And I agree with Melyanna that the creators did not want us to like Priya - and in my case they also succeeded :)

She is so annoying, I liked when she was brought in as a spoof, the fact that a female version of Sheldon existet. But she is nothing else but a watered down Sheldon. Leslie Winkle at least had her own character. I dont want to see Sheldon and Amy actually have a relationship. I just cant see what she could be used for. And there are just so many other characters I would rather see progress. Bring back Winkle.

• Like 2

Yeah, I hope they bring back Leslie in Season 5. Her character worked well.

I like Amy, I think her character works so well with Sheldon and Penny too. I like that with her becoming "besties" with Penny she has loosened up a little. But where she and Sheldon go from here is anyone's guess.

@Convict: Amy is the one who helped Sheldon discover that "My hands are magic!" after all.

Its nothing personal against the actress, she does her best with what she got. But Amy is just a watered down Sheldon. And a real realationship between them would imho ruin the Sheldon character. He simply has no need for her, every fiber in his body is asexual. The sheer thought of exchangeing bodily fluids in any shape or form disgust him. He would have no need for anybody else if it wasnt for him to assert himself as a genius. He is supposed to be cold an unlikeble, but you cant help to like him becourse he dosent know better. I just cant see it happening without takeng away what is most essential for the Sheldon character. The only scenario I see it plausable, is if it where for science and that has been done.

Well, I've already written a couple of times in different topics that I really like Amy Farrah Fowler, but this thread sounds to me like an invitation to write once more ;)

Actually, Amy is my favourite character in the show, and the only one I can identify, first and foremost because she is so authentic as a female geek (she shares this trait with Leslie Winkle, who, sadly, disappeared from the show). Yes, she is stiff - because this is her way of maintaining psychical homeostasis. I agree that there has been recently too much toilet humour in the show, but I don't think it's because of the introduction of Amy.

Just like the guys, she has intellectual interests which are often mentioned and which influence her attitude to life, which is a good practical definition of geekiness. And, just like the guys, she is also interested in sex, exchange of opinions, and having friends - but, again like them, she sees all these things through the lens of her scientific profession, which has tragicomical effect. Because of all this she is much more developed as a character than e.g. Bernadette. If she was removed from the show, I'd be disappointed.

And I agree with Melyanna that the creators did not want us to like Priya - and in my case they also succeeded :)

^ This. Completely agreed. She really is my favorite character after Sheldon, now, purely in terms of hilarious geeky zaniness. And she is QUITE different from Sheldon, in her present form (though initially she started as 'female Sheldon'). She's so much more socially enthusiastic, though almost equally awkward, and she can even influence Sheldon in some ways because they're on the same 'wavelength' intellectually. Her interactions with both Sheldon and Penny are pure comedy gold.

In short, I love her. And I would be seriously heartbroken if she leaves the show (though I still wouldn't stop watching it, obviously).

When I come to think about it, I like Amy also because she is... well, not entirely 'funny'. She is a successful neuroscientist but she really lacks sth in life and she becomes more and more conscious of that. The difference between Leslie and Amy is that Leslie gets what she wants and returns to her research when she got it, while Amy hasn't yet figured out how to do it. The results of her trying to find that out are hilarious in an ironic sort of way - so that, like in some black comedies, grotesqueness is a way of explaining how the world works. I'm wondering if anyone also sees it in this way.

Amy has corrected Sheldon multiple times, thats what she is good for

how many other characters can even come close to correcting him without him talk back??

Amy won't ruin Sheldon's character at all

When I come to think about it, I like Amy also because she is... well, not entirely 'funny'. She is a successful neuroscientist but she really lacks sth in life and she becomes more and more conscious of that. The difference between Leslie and Amy is that Leslie gets what she wants and returns to her research when she got it, while Amy hasn't yet figured out how to do it. The results of her trying to find that out are hilarious in an ironic sort of way - so that, like in some black comedies, grotesqueness is a way of explaining how the world works. I'm wondering if anyone also sees it in this way.

That's an interesting way to look at it. Actually the characters of both Sheldon and Amy have an underlying pathos because of their social cluelessness coupled with the intellectual brilliance - clearly both of them were bullied and ostracized as youngsters, because of this peculiar combination. It's just that Amy is more interested in trying, socially, while Sheldon has consciously opted out in many ways. But their awkwardness sometimes makes them seem vulnerable as well as funny.

Amy has corrected Sheldon multiple times, thats what she is good for

how many other characters can even come close to correcting him without him talk back??

Amy won't ruin Sheldon's character at all

Exactly. Amy is able to convince Sheldon to do things, without having to force him, because she knows the logic to use - she 'speaks his language'.

• Like 1

"And she is QUITE different from Sheldon, in her present form (though initially she started as 'female Sheldon'). She's so much more socially enthusiastic, though almost equally awkward, and she can even influence Sheldon in some ways because they're on the same 'wavelength' intellectually."

I agree!

I don't think Sheldon speaks "Sheldonese". I think he speaks "Sheldonian." :D

That's right. And I suspect many of us have started using Sheldonian sometimes, too, in our everyday conversations. :)

So we have our Sheldonian calendar and now our Sheldonian language. All hail Sheldonia.

It is true though, that if anyone can correct Sheldon it's Amy (with the exception of his mother)

And a real realationship between them would imho ruin the Sheldon character. He simply has no need for her, every fiber in his body is asexual. The sheer thought of exchangeing bodily fluids in any shape or form disgust him.

First of all, who said a real relationship has to be sexual? What Sheldon has with Amy is romantic relationship, at least from her point of view. He values her as a companion, not a sexual partner. He also didn't stop Amy from kissing him, basically conceding to his role as one half of a couple.

Secondly, that's like saying Sheldon has no need for Leonard, Howard and Raj. Amy is someone worthy of respect to him, and they share the same level of thinking. That makes their relationship unique. She's the only one who can really understand him, and doesn't question his sanity like the others do.