The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
keithb103

I seriously hate Amy Farrah Fowler

She is a quick clone of Leonard's mother, even down to her occupation and as such follows the same arch with Sheldon as Bev did. Beverly met Sheldon in the second season, fell in love with his mind, quite literally, (she did brain scans) and they were involved with a more intimate social interaction (karaoke) that was quite out of character for both of them.

They became close confidants over digital media for months to the point Sheldon was far closer to her than her own son. By their third season meeting, a drunken Beverly was so sexually turned on she gave him his first romantic kiss, something that they and Penny promised to not tell Leonard. The writers have followed this scenario for Amy except that they have replaced Bev's condescending tolerance for Penny with Amy's hero worship.

I look forward to the meeting of Dr. Beverly and Dr. Amy. They have a lot in common. :icon_biggrin:

Agree with this, even though later in season 5 she seemed less like Beverly. I have started watching season 5 disc this week, and while watching the episode where amy goes to the wedding with leonard, when she overstays her welcome at the apt and is sitting on the couch "thinking" -- the convo with leornard here reminded me a lot of dr. beverly.

She has alot of the characters in her, as mentioned before in this thread.

I LOVE Amy. She's such a unique character, just as Sheldon is. Yes, she's a lot like Sheldon but she's also very different. I love that she and Sheldon are together as a couple....they're cute together. Sheldon will always be Sheldon but so long as he is with her, he will make some changes here and there and that's a good thing. That's what people do in real life....we don't stay the same forever. We change and grow as time goes on. I can't wait to see where their relationship goes.

Monique

• Like 1

Guest I'm not dead Cheryl

I LOVE Amy. She's such a unique character, just as Sheldon is. Yes, she's a lot like Sheldon but she's also very different. I love that she and Sheldon are together as a couple....they're cute together. Sheldon will always be Sheldon but so long as he is with her, he will make some changes here and there and that's a good thing. That's what people do in real life....we don't stay the same forever. We change and grow as time goes on. I can't wait to see where their relationship goes.

Monique

absolutely agree!! :D

I started off disliking her. I thought she was extremely wooden (and not in a humourous way either). It was like she was trying to be a female version of Sheldon (although Jim Parsons portrays Sheldon with absolute comic brilliance and the character is far from mundane and wooden). But as the series progressed, I warmed to her as she loosened up when she hung out with the girls.

Not my favourite character by any means, but way, way better than Priya. For me, I would be ecstatic if she got run over by a large train asap!!!

I couldn't agree more. I must say that I'm not thrilled by the whole concept of Sheldon having a girlfriend. Beyond that, it often seems as the show is more about the three girls, rather than Leonard, Sheldon, Howard & Raj. Anyway, I too absolutely hated Priya. There are characters that are meant to be annoying, but I really wanted Priya to die a horrible death. I hated her to the point where I started transfering my hate towards her onto her Brother, as she made me look at him differently. After Priya, I started noticing Raj's spoiled, rich brat side a lot more.

I couldn't agree more. I must say that I'm not thrilled by the whole concept of Sheldon having a girlfriend. Beyond that, it often seems as the show is more about the three girls, rather than Leonard, Sheldon, Howard & Raj. Anyway, I too absolutely hated Priya. There are characters that are meant to be annoying, but I really wanted Priya to die a horrible death. I hated her to the point where I started transfering my hate towards her onto her Brother, as she made me look at him differently. After Priya, I started noticing Raj's spoiled, rich brat side a lot more.

Wow. I guess I've never really hated any character on TV, because they're characters on TV, not real people.

I didn't find Priya all that interesting and I wondered how long she was going to stick around before they got Leonard and Penny back together, or working toward being together. Priya was never really going to fit in with the gang the way Penny does.

Even Bernadette and Amy fit in with the geeky guys more than Priya.

But hate? I didn't care about her enough to hate her.

Wow. I guess I've never really hated any character on TV, because they're characters on TV, not real people.

I didn't find Priya all that interesting and I wondered how long she was going to stick around before they got Leonard and Penny back together, or working toward being together. Priya was never really going to fit in with the gang the way Penny does.

Even Bernadette and Amy fit in with the geeky guys more than Priya.

But hate? I didn't care about her enough to hate her.

Okay, hate may be a strong word for someone who's not a real person. But characters are supposed to provoke an emotional response. I definitely loathed the character. I couldn't stand watching her, nor did I like her addition to the show. The episode where she tried to nullify the room-mate agreement, I really wanted to see her suffer. Then when she backed down because Sheldon was going to tell her Mommy & Daddy about her relationship with Leonard, I couldn't stand her even more. Even Sheldon makes his hatred toward Priya known as Leonard is about to have an internet dinfast with her.

Edited by Anomaly

Okay, hate may be a strong word for someone who's not a real person. But characters are supposed to provoke an emotional response. I definitely loathed the character...

Well I can say I hate Dolores Unbridge, from Harry Potter, and I will always do, no matter if it is rare or not.

Dolores_umbridge.jpg

It is the same when we like, or love a character. In general we identify with it, and even it reminds us of someone who was once in our lives, and remains in our unconscious memory. (sounds like jibber-jabber, but writers know what they do when they write about human being) .

Edited by Ely

I agree. They should kill her off.

Don't kill her. Change her back to Season 4 Amy when she was funny.

Zoomerxvii has five posts. He suggests killing someone in three of them. I am sensing a trend here.... :icon_twisted:

• Like 1

I think that characters like Dolores Umbridge are characters that you're supposed to "love to hate". I actually liked her as a literary creation--a wonderfully drawn (and acted) loathesome person, with an affinity for kittens... Of course she's not the kind of person you root for to win, but she was a great character to see onscreen (or in the books.)

Anyway, I like the way that Amy has developed. I don't really believe in keeping characters in a Johnny-one-note kind of place, where the character is only accepted doing one thing, or behaving on one way. That's a way to turn an interesting character into a caricature, that's how you end up with a character saying the one stupid catch-phrase or line at some point in every episode ("Dyn-o-mite!" "What you talkin' about, WIllis?" "Aaayyyyye!")

I like the way Amy is growing and changing--from a tightly controlled bland socially awkward robot girl to a socially awkward girl who has been freed up by encountering good people who accept her for what she is. She's still awkward and odd, but she's also smart and knows what she wants and has her own way of going about getting it. And I think that in that way she's very well paired with Sheldon, who has decided what he likes and doesn't like, wants and doesn't want and likes to always get his way. They make a perfect couple. :icon_wink:

• Like 2

I love the Amy Farrah Fowler character!! When she got the tiara I almost wet my pants from laughing so hard! However, I do have to say that I dislike her lesbian overtones towards Penny. A once or twice mention would have been enough, I get it, she idolizes Penny; but it's increasing and I just plain don't like it. I am not anti-homosexual at all, it's just getting uncomfortable to watch Penny so obviously uncomfortable! I relate to Amy in some ways, an outcast for being exactly who she is and I do love that about her. But no more hitting on Penny please!

I love both Amy's the only thing that should die is her wardrobe

IMO, it's no worse than Leonard's hoodies, Howard's "hootchie pants" and turtlenecks/dickies and poor, poor Raj's t-shirt/dress-shirt/vest/jacket combinations. :icon_wink:

Guest I'm not dead Cheryl

I love both Amy's the only thing that should die is her wardrobe

specially her yellow cardigan :icon_evil:

I enjoy Amy so much more than Priya. Amy brings a lot of positive things to the table. I despised Priya and how she tried to change Leonard's appearance. Then she cheats on him! Yet, her only purpose was to make Penny realize her feelings for Leonard; still I'm glad she's gone....good riddance!

Zoomerxvii has five posts. He suggests killing someone in three of them. I am sensing a trend here.... :icon_twisted:

I am still obsessed with Lost

I love the Amy Farrah Fowler character!! When she got the tiara I almost wet my pants from laughing so hard! However, I do have to say that I dislike her lesbian overtones towards Penny. A once or twice mention would have been enough, I get it, she idolizes Penny; but it's increasing and I just plain don't like it. I am not anti-homosexual at all, it's just getting uncomfortable to watch Penny so obviously uncomfortable! I relate to Amy in some ways, an outcast for being exactly who she is and I do love that about her. But no more hitting on Penny please!

HPP; I understand what you're saying and am reposting what I said in this thread earlier about Amy's girl crush:

Okay, I explained this on another thread, but being the forum's resident real life lesbian who went to an all girls high school I'll explain again.

Adolescent girls get girl crushes, they idolize the 'top' head girl in their school and basically want to do everything with her. They can have romantic feelings too. It's not lesbian at all; eventually they discover boys and that's the end of the girl crush. Amy is going through that phase; she has a massive girl crush on Penny, because she's the cool girl who is including the geeky excluded girl.

All the awkward bicurious comments, especially the kissing scene in the club are very heterosexual; straight girls do this all the time when drunk in bars to excite their boyfriends, as they know it's a favorite male fantasy.

Lesbians in high school keep their straight girl crushes to themselves, they would never say what Amy does, as they know their feelings aren't returned. They suffer in silence, listen to sappy songs & eventually go to university where they find other lesbians and happily date them. They never kiss each other in straight bars to excite men; that's revolting.

The writers know all this; as the one time they depict a lesbian character Lakshmi, she wants a fake marriage with Raj whom she thinks is gay. This satisfies parents and society while allowing them to live their gay lives. And this is absolutely real.

Amy is no lesbian; just an adolescent girl going through a normal phase.

It's true, girls kiss each other for fun all the time. I don't see why not, and Penny/Amy were drunk which makes it even less of a big deal, the "give me some sugar" line is ultimate proof it was just for fun (Although I loved it) . If that makes sense. I have no problem with people kissing each other for fun. When Amy kissed Sheldon it was more serious.

• Like 1

I have strongly mixed feelings about her. Amy.S4 was pretty much a wallflower, come across flat and not at all funny. Amy.S5 was the complete opposite, much more outspoken, aggressive and her out of nowhere bluntness was funny in a crude and obnoxious sort of way. At first I liked Amy.S5 more than Amy.S4, but the writers gave her so much airtime (second to Sheldon) that she became irritating. The whole lesbian / hitting on Penny thing as ok at first, just got progressively creepier and weirder. Same for the later S5 bridesmaid episodes…way too in you face for me.

Moving forward, I hope the writers would strike a better balance between her over the top & subdued moments. Her moments playing the harp and in The Launch Acceleration episode were great. Plus, I’d like her airtime (number of scenes or number of lines per scene) reduced and reallocated toward the original five characters…namely Penny.

I agree I like amy, but she needs to come in smaller doses, and they need to keep most airtime on the main five.

i have mentioned this in another thread but Amys over fondness of Penny is probably due to the fact that Penny is her 1st proper friend she has had and her feelings are a bit messed up because of that and she does not yet know how to deal with it properly or appropriately

I like Amy though, she is good foil for Sheldon and how he is trying to adapt to his feelings for her

Edited by rachygd