I seriously hate Amy Farrah Fowler

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have locked the thread as, after three years, it appears to have run its course. The situation was obviously different back in 2011 when Amy had only been on the show for one season, but now it does

It's funny people still push Shenny, even in fanfiction the stories have all become just immature Ken and Barbie stories since the characters are so out of character. Amy was written to be for Sheldo

I think that people have to remember that no one exists in a vacuum, not even Sheldon.   Sheldon's line from The Jerusalem Duality (an ANCIENT episode) was quoted regarding his ongoing bafflement in

Posted Images

Personally, I don't hate Amy. I think in itself, she's a pretty good character. That being said, I do hate what the introduction of the character & the path it's taken has done to the other characters & to the show in general. I feel the same way about Bernadette, except for the fact that I don't really care for that character at all. This is a sit-com. The characters don't need to grow beyond the bounds of how they were originally presented. Sure, the writers & actors have a bit of a breaking-in period, where they are feeling the characters out & fitting into their roles, but beyond that, this is not drama. When you look back at the great sit-coms, the characters didn't change in any drastic ways. And if/when they did, it was either at the end of a show's run or it would later be looked at as the beginning of the end. Fonzie was always Fonzie, Ralph Kramden was always Ralph Kramden and Lucy was always Lucy. The writers of Big Bang have taken a successful premise & damn near completely rewritten it around two new characters. Sure, it's brought in some new fans (mainly teen-aged girls). But in doing so, they've taken a great show that could have been long-lasting in the same way the original Star Trek or M*A*S*H* has, and turned it into a very typical, relationship based sit-com for a fickle, throw-away audience.

Edited by Anomaly
  • Like 1

Personally, I don't hate Amy. I think in itself, she's a pretty good character. That being said, I do hate what the introduction of the character & the path it's taken has done to the other characters & to the show in general. I feel the same way about Bernadette, except for the fact that I don't really care for that character at all. This is a sit-com. The characters don't need to grow beyond the bounds of how they were originally presented. Sure, the writers & actors have a bit of a breaking-in period, where they are feeling the characters out & fitting into their roles, but beyond that, this is not drama. When you look back at the great sit-coms, the characters didn't change in any drastic ways. And if/when they did, it was either at the end of a show's run or it would later be looked at as the beginning of the end. Fonzie was always Fonzie, Ralph Kramden was always Ralph Kramden and Lucy was always Lucy. The writers of Big Bang have taken a successful premise & damn near completely rewritten it around two new characters. Sure, it's brought in some new fans (mainly teen-aged girls). But in doing so, they've taken a great show that could have been long-lasting in the same way the original Star Trek or M*A*S*H* has, and turned it into a very typical, relationship based sit-com for a fickle, throw-away audience.

How the heck do you know who the "new fans" are? I'm relatively new, love the additions of Bernadette and Amy, and I'm in my early 50s, with a master's degree.

And Lucy Ricardo did change--with the birth of her baby--they added the baby/child into the show and she changed somewhat in her focus, but the show didn't die because of that change. And the show did all kinds of changes--the 4 characters went on a road trip and then the show was set in Hollywood for a while because Ricky was working in LA.

And I don't know that you can compare TBBT with these much older shows very deeply because those were the early days of TV and the audience mindset was different, TV was different, writing was different, etc.

As for the original Star Trek--it lasted only 3 seasons. It has lasted as a cult hit, but the show barely survived its three seasons.

And MASH was kind of ridiculously long-lasting, like Happy Days, in that it lasted longer than the setting it portrayed. The Korean Conflict lasted only a few years while MASH went on much longer. And those characters changed as well--they replaced 3 main characters: Trapper John, Henry Blake and Frank Burns and brought in three new characters to replace them.

All of this talk about how the show shouldn't change because this show or that show didn't change is neither here nor there.

The main winning element in TV writing is characters that the audience cares about. If the audience loves the characters, they'll show up to see whatever the writers have them do. If at some point the audience decides it no longer likes what the characters are doing, or they no longer love the characters, or some other random reason, the viewership will eventually drop off.

Well, apparently there are still more viewers who love the characters--in whatever combination and to whatever degree--that the audience is not only showing up, but continuing to grow in this the 6th season. Most shows would have peaked and begun to drop off by the 6th season, so TPTB at TBBT must be doing something right.

I don't think they're pandering or trying to woo a specific demographic by what stories they're trying to tell. WHile not everyone may like the relationship aspects of the show, I think that the writers have been striking a good balance between the science elements, the geekiness, and the relationship growth and individual growth of all of the characters.

I think that TBBT strikes a funny balance between somewhat ridiculous humor and some touching and warm moments and between the genius and knowledge of the characters (even Penny's worldly-wise knowledge) and all of the characters' propensity for absolute stupidity or goofiness, which has always been the case.

Edited by phantagrae
  • Like 3

Oh God, I have not read it.

Well, is unclear you is a Shenny shipper. However I hate Shenny, I ship Howraj, and naturally not like Bernadette. But I dont disrespect the fans of Melissa saying that I hate Bernadette and I want her to die. This is ridiculous! Each has the claim of ship the couple who want, but disrespect? No.

• Like 1

It's interesting that you should cite M*A*S*H as an example of a great show that TBBT has in your opinion failed to emulate, when it is the best possible sitcom I can think to refute your two major points. MASH had not only at least three regular characters grow over several years, but it successfully integrated two new central and much loved characters (BJ and Col Potter). For characters that had successful growth over a number of seasons, I'll cite radar, klinger and Hawkeye but I think a case could also be made for Charles and Margaret. (Notice I said Margaret as she was later known, not HotLips). Radar went to war, lost an idol in Hawkeye and then went home a man. Klinger was hired for a one-note joke character in a single episode and then went on to much later lose the dresses (mostly) and become Col. Potter's right-hand man. The characterization of Hawkeye had the biggest single change across 11 seasons. It changed the whole tone of the show from being a thin satire of the Vietnam war to a dramedy that veered towards maudlin at times. Hawkeye changed from being an incurable skirt-chaser to a harmless flirt with a clear respect for women. Really, the only long term character in MASH that didn't change was Burns. And what happened? The actor got bored, the writers got bored and the character left the show.

The other issue you cite is that Amy and Bernadette are changing the other characters and not for the better. Sticking with my MASH example, BJ and Potter didn't directly change Hawkeye, but their example of two family men arguably had an effect. The rest, Hawkeye did by himself. I can understand if you prefer that sitcoms stick with the original premise. Perfectly valid opinion. But the argument that great sitcoms and great sitcom characters don't grow is fallacious. While not essential, I would argue that some change is to be expected in all long running sitcoms. Seinfeld is really the only recent long running sitcom where it didn't happen. I hope you still can enjoy the show, the change is only beginning.

Edited by bostrich

IT appears, unsurprisingly, that keithb103 who posted this topic, is one of a very limited number who think Amy does not deserve to be on the show. I liked her from the very beginning and actually, rather than warming to her, I have found that I don't like her as much as I did when she first appeared. Back then she was not wooden at all, she played the part perfectly, whereas now I find that her toilet humour (and believe me I am very far from being a prude) has spoilt the character somewhat for me; I think the writers have really screwed up here as Amy's character would never speak like this, and would not pester Sheldon for sex at every opportunity. It just wouldn't happen. But I think she should stay on the show. 

I agree with some of the other posts about Priya also. Totally objectionable. Mind you, even though I couldn't stand her, I still couldn't see how a person with her looks and intelligence would ever fall for such a revolting character as Leonard. Just as I don't agree that Penny ever would have. With his total lack of personality and awful looks combined with that dreadful fidgeting of hands and looking up at everybody (although being that short he doesn't really have any option other than to look up at everybody else) with that stupid squinty sneer on his face, I really don't see how he (along with Howard) could ever get any woman.

I've veered off topic a bit - sorry. But anyone who has a problem with Amy must surely have a much bigger one with Leonard.

IT appears, unsurprisingly, that keithb103 who posted this topic, is one of a very limited number who think Amy does not deserve to be on the show. I liked her from the very beginning and actually, rather than warming to her, I have found that I don't like her as much as I did when she first appeared. Back then she was not wooden at all, she played the part perfectly, whereas now I find that her toilet humour (and believe me I am very far from being a prude) has spoilt the character somewhat for me; I think the writers have really screwed up here as Amy's character would never speak like this, and would not pester Sheldon for sex at every opportunity. It just wouldn't happen. But I think she should stay on the show. 

I agree with some of the other posts about Priya also. Totally objectionable. Mind you, even though I couldn't stand her, I still couldn't see how a person with her looks and intelligence would ever fall for such a revolting character as Leonard. Just as I don't agree that Penny ever would have. With his total lack of personality and awful looks combined with that dreadful fidgeting of hands and looking up at everybody (although being that short he doesn't really have any option other than to look up at everybody else) with that stupid squinty sneer on his face, I really don't see how he (along with Howard) could ever get any woman.

I've veered off topic a bit - sorry. But anyone who has a problem with Amy must surely have a much bigger one with Leonard.

Or some of us love all the characters...

In the end, we all have opinions and different tastes, so there is no sense in arguing them as none are correct and none are wrong. For me, TBBT has become very typical & homogenized when compared with what it was. My comparing it to Star Trek & M*A*S*H* was not a direct comparison in styles or  character development. I picked those two shows because they both have achieved a particular status among their fans & in general television history. TBBT was a show with the potential to garner that same type of status. IMHO, it no longer has that potential, as it has gone from special & unique to cookie-cutter typical. 20-years from now, TBBT could have been as popular as Star Trek is still today. Now it will probably be remembered as that show that was trying to be the next Friends.

• Like 1

Oh God, I have not read it.

Well, is unclear you is a Shenny shipper. However I hate Shenny, I ship Howraj, and naturally not like Bernadette. But I dont disrespect the fans of Melissa saying that I hate Bernadette and I want her to die. This is ridiculous! Each has the claim of ship the couple who want, but disrespect? No.

Thank you for saying that. That bothers me as well. I'm okay with everyone shipping who they want. It bothers me when I see people go to extremes in the things they say in hopes that it proves that THEIR ship is better than someone else's. 

Monique

• Like 2

Wow,  :icon_eek:

REALLY do you think if a person is "ugly" (definition of "ugly person" please!!!) then he/she doesn´t deserve to get a partner?????????????????????????????????????????

Edited by Lissie
  • Like 1

^^ Agreed, I personally think Leonard's adorable and Johnny...don't get me started on Johnny ;).

I absolutley love Sheldon, Howard and Raj, but realistically, if I was gonna date one of the characters I would probably be happiest with Leonard :D.

Edited by Razberrypie

Thank you for saying that. That bothers me as well. I'm okay with everyone shipping who they want. It bothers me when I see people go to extremes in the things they say in hopes that it proves that THEIR ship is better than someone else's. 

Monique

Exactly! I can't stand it when people express to much negative. I guess, those are not really caring for anyone, but only notice bad things.

• Like 1

Gaggle of Harpies?? Oh my God....

This program goes inside people hearts really. Because you know, if it produce such type of feelings (anger, disrespect,  etc between us) means they are going really deep inside all us. Looking this for the good side means this program is not loosing its quality as some people assume and it IS NOT BECOMING another FRIENDS. Because, you know, the people saying this...what they are doing here spending time in discussing about this program if it is like Friends??

Please tell me nobody was fighting for that silly program called Friends!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Lissie
  • Like 1

People can say I am a "Shemy lover" but I must confess that if, imagine Sheldon don´t get Amy but another girl similar to Penny, or Penny herself, (I mean physically and intellectually similar to Penny) as his girlfriend...then this program for me will be over. I will feel with lot of sadness that Sheldon spoiled for ever. I am relieved that the writers decided not to follow the American programs/films costume of making the blond beautiful/hollywood girl to get the principal/most handsome man in the program!

Personaly I think that SHAMY is so special because of the characteristics of Amy.

But sometimes I suspect that some people hate Amy and they don´t accept her as Sheldon´s girlfriend because she is not the typical sexy girl....can someone accept that if Amy is a tall, slim girl wearing mini short, mini skirts all time then MAYBE you will accept her interacting with Sheldon?? and you will not say she is spoiling him? even you will enjoy watching how this beautiful woman is trying to atract him sexualy?

Wow. I may like the show but apparently I am not a fan. 

I think Amy is hot, just as hot as the other 2 leads but in a different way. 

When Amy was first introed I thought she way too cardboard, too much like Sheldon. As the character progressed she came out of her shell, opened up, and got weird; too clingy with Penny. I like the character but they do need to take it down a notch. I'm sure everyone remembers the show where Amy realized she was a sexual being. Now I think they are playing it up a bit too much.

• Like 1

People can say I am a "Shemy lover" but I must confess that if, imagine Sheldon don´t get Amy but another girl similar to Penny, or Penny herself,

Sheldon would never end up with Penny.  He is too smart for that.  What the writers have done with Penny's character have made her pretty unappealing.  She was once a vibrant actress hopeful and now she is a 27ish year old waitress who has been totally absorbed into Leonard's world.  She is also a depressed lush.

Where she once helped Leonard become a better boyfriend he has surpassed her and she is the one that is lousy in the relationship.  She is pretty but she has become the kind of girl you date while waiting for something better to come along.

I really hope they turn her around because she is one break-up away from being no better than Stuart, perhaps worse since at least he owns a business.  The actress thing makes no sense now.  They need to bring back the Penny Blossom so she is not such a total loser.

They sent a married Howard into space but they have allowed Penny to rot on the vine.