I seriously hate Amy Farrah Fowler

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have locked the thread as, after three years, it appears to have run its course. The situation was obviously different back in 2011 when Amy had only been on the show for one season, but now it does

It's funny people still push Shenny, even in fanfiction the stories have all become just immature Ken and Barbie stories since the characters are so out of character. Amy was written to be for Sheldo

I think that people have to remember that no one exists in a vacuum, not even Sheldon.   Sheldon's line from The Jerusalem Duality (an ANCIENT episode) was quoted regarding his ongoing bafflement in

Posted Images

Because I don't take this as personally as some I see here. It's a comparative thing. ;)

Being a fan isn't about taking things personally.

I may have opinions that I feel free to express, but I don't take anything personally.

I think that if you weren't a "fan" you wouldn't feel compelled to even bother to come to a message board and talk about the show. ;)

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

I totally agree with you; in fact, i find myself changing the channel when an episode is centered on her. I realize the idea is to have a female sheldon, however what works for sheldon really doesn't work for amy; she comes out looking like an annoying irritation.  Please please please, lets have less amy!

"

I totally agree with you; in fact, i find myself changing the channel when an episode is centered on her. I realize the idea is to have a female sheldon, however what works for sheldon really doesn't work for amy; she comes out looking like an annoying irritation.  Please please please, lets have less amy! "

@ Astrid very welcome. :)

I'm sorry to disagree with you here. Can I persuade you otherwise? Amy is one of my favourite characters. I long to see her from time to time in TBBT it would not be the same for me without her taking part. She is so cute and yet so clever and I don't mean from her scientific side person and I know it all.. Well I must admit that at first I had to get used to her awkwardness. I wasn't really captivated by her. But after a while she was so funny and lovable. I agree that by all standards the two of them (Shamy) don't always match their interests likewise. I know what you mean, I've been feeling the same way in that respect. But now... I don't see it that way anymore. The two characters are growing together somehow. And it is interesting to watch how this is happening. For example... it just come to mind the cartoons of Charlie Brown and Lucy... weren't they adorable? I can see some of it in them...don't you?

How can anyone resists such unusual and uncanny relationship, i wonder.

post-8585-0-83130600-1364676200_thumb.pn

Edited by wannamaker
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

I'm late chiming in on this topic, but have been watching the show for a while and Googled "Amy Farrah Fowler Not Funny" and wound up here. The show is great- the characters are over the top to a point, but they are also generally believable and likable (except Amy). Even Sheldon is brilliantly brought to life by Jim Parsons as someone who has odd almost autistic/Asperger Syndrome tendencies and doesn't relate well to others, yet is a genius with enough of, mmm, an internal sense of right and wrong that he tries to live up to, that he winds up being likable. The cast of characters is just great. Except Amy. And the reason I don't like her is that in contrast to the others, she always seems like she's acting, and her lines come across as an actress who just isn't making the character work. The others really seem to actually be the characters they are playing, and they don't seem like actors. Maybe the dialog the Amy character is given isn't the greatest, but Sara Gilbert was awesome as Leslie Winkle, so an emotionless pure scientist type female can be a believable character in a way that rings true. But not by this actress. I never watched Blossom and don't have a point of reference, but I feel she was the wrong choice for the part, and doesn't have the chops to inhabit the role believably. Whenever I see Amy in a scene, it's just distracting- talking in a flat monotone voice, being emotionless and injecting the proper jargon (the actress does hold a PhD related to neuroscience from UCLA after all) doesn't make her seem like a real person, just a  very weak link in an otherwise strong character driven series. She is the wrong actress for the part.

• Like 2

I have never liked the personality that the writers  gave to AFF---just too stiff, wooden and then her fixation with P got creepy. However, saying that, MB does the perfect job in playing the role----everything about her presentation screams "perfect" for the character...even though I can't stand the character. I think that was the problem with AFF----how she was written.

Edited by queuetee

I'm late chiming in on this topic, but have been watching the show for a while and Googled "Amy Farrah Fowler Not Funny" and wound up here. The show is great- the characters are over the top to a point, but they are also generally believable and likable (except Amy). Even Sheldon is brilliantly brought to life by Jim Parsons as someone who has odd almost autistic/Asperger Syndrome tendencies and doesn't relate well to others, yet is a genius with enough of, mmm, an internal sense of right and wrong that he tries to live up to, that he winds up being likable. The cast of characters is just great. Except Amy. And the reason I don't like her is that in contrast to the others, she always seems like she's acting, and her lines come across as an actress who just isn't making the character work. The others really seem to actually be the characters they are playing, and they don't seem like actors. Maybe the dialog the Amy character is given isn't the greatest, but Sara Gilbert was awesome as Leslie Winkle, so an emotionless pure scientist type female can be a believable character in a way that rings true. But not by this actress. I never watched Blossom and don't have a point of reference, but I feel she was the wrong choice for the part, and doesn't have the chops to inhabit the role believably. Whenever I see Amy in a scene, it's just distracting- talking in a flat monotone voice, being emotionless and injecting the proper jargon (the actress does hold a PhD related to neuroscience from UCLA after all) doesn't make her seem like a real person, just a  very weak link in an otherwise strong character driven series. She is the wrong actress for the part.

Sadly, I come to the same conclusion about MB, after initially liking and supporting the character in S4. When the writers started changed her every other episode, it became obvious they couldn't get it to work. The actress has an abrasive feel in the role, compared to the others who are a lot more natural. I said the same thing a few months ago. Wrong actress. You'll be surprised to hear she got an Emmy nod for this years awards. I agree the character, doesn't seem real. There are times I like her, but other times she seems wrong.

Edited by Moonbase
  • Like 1

Sheldon would never end up with Penny.  He is too smart for that.  What the writers have done with Penny's character have made her pretty unappealing.  She was once a vibrant actress hopeful and now she is a 27ish year old waitress who has been totally absorbed into Leonard's world.  She is also a depressed lush.

Where she once helped Leonard become a better boyfriend he has surpassed her and she is the one that is lousy in the relationship.  She is pretty but she has become the kind of girl you date while waiting for something better to come along.

I really hope they turn her around because she is one break-up away from being no better than Stuart, perhaps worse since at least he owns a business.  The actress thing makes no sense now.  They need to bring back the Penny Blossom so she is not such a total loser.

They sent a married Howard into space but they have allowed Penny to rot on the vine.

I'm sorry do you even watch the show, Leonard is waiting around for someone better? Based on what? BBT is in its seventh season and Leonard has every reason just like Penny does to date someone else, why don't they? Because they love each other, and from the pilot it has been clear they well end up together. And turn her around? And she is better then she was in the first two, Penny back then was shallow and superficial at times, and could be hypocritical. The Penny now, her self acutulization has changed massively. And Sheldon being to smart for Penny is not a reason why they wont end up together, they wont end up together because they are friends and their has never been anything romantic between them ever, and I have never from the first episode to now see any suggestion Penny would ever see Sheldon in a romantic light, their friendship is no different to her one with Howard or Raj. Your entitled to voice your opinion but their are so many inaccuricies in them it is not funny, Penny is not a 20 year old aspiring actress anymore, she has become more realistic and started to realize the people around her are just as important like Leonard and her friends e.t.c. And that she may not be succesfull in her acting but that doesen't mean they need to bring her back lol, from what? She is still the same person she has always been. Leonard has not surpassed Penny at all, the VD prooved that Penny is more virbant but also has matured alot since Season 3, Penny is compromising alot more in her relationship now and their is nothing wrong with that! That does mean she is depressed, just means she is not in her early 20's anymore, her priorities have changed and has different things going on now. She has focused on her relationship with Leonard, as she is starting to put others first. As opposed to Season 3 I love Penny even more now, because of how honest and how much trust their is between Leonard and Penny now. No one is surpassing each other, and for the record Penny never helped Leonard become a better BF, if anyone Leonard helped Penny, and it was actually arguably Pria and Alex who woke up Penny to what a great guy Leonard is, so he priorities have changed around her relationships. So what she is a looser because her acting career is going no where? I am loving the mature Penny in S6, and do you seriousley expect people to beleive the only reason Sheldon and Penny wont be together is because Sheldon is too smart to get with that looser Penny lol, yeah dont flatter your self Sheldon. For the record Sheldon and Penny is a maternal brother-sister relationship. You seem to be in the minority but guess your entitled to your opinon.

I've read more postings since my initial one, especially on favorite characters. It is interesting that AFF doesn't rank consistantly low, although she does seem to bring out extreme feelings in people. As someone pointed out, females seem to like her a lot more than males. I'm going to theorize that some of those males have been involved in relationships, and their partners tried to "change" them to make them better. In my experience, this rarely works, as we males are stubborn creatures. But women might see Sheldon as a project who needs a lot of improvement that a person like Amy can direct him towards, whereas men may see Sheldon's personalitiy as a complex machine of sorts, which if tinkered with will irreparably break. Just a theory, and a theory in progress at that.

I'll restate that I think Mayim is the wrong actress for the part. We go to see plays a few times a year, and I love theatrical productions, but having one person in the play who is obviously acting, rather than in character, can throw the whole production off. In real life, I have known variations of all the characters on the show, even Sheldon, they just aren't as consistently funny or likable as the ones on TV. My girlfriend is in academia and the eccentrics really run the spectrum when we have parties. The exception is AFF, someone I can't say I have ever seen a variation of in real life. It seems Mayim is trying to channel a combination of the Lilith character from Cheers/Frasier and the animated Daria character (MTV?). There was a realness to those characters though, they were somehow sympathetic. AFF, to me, is just an actress trying but not succeeding. Maybe part of it is that like charges repel, and so when she and Sheldon are in a scene, there's not much of sparking that happens when opposites are together. Had I been a writer, I would suggest writing in a female that Sheldon had to share an office with who had a very different view of life, strong willed, highly intelligent but hopelessly optimistic, maybe with strong feminist or other principles, who has an awkward side in an area where Sheldon was confident so they unwittingly compliment each other. It would not matter whether the woman had an attractive appearance or not. The real Sheldon character, if he's not going to be sacrificed and thrown into a relationship for the sake of the show's higher ratings, is never, ever going to be interested in romance, but the right actress could provide a lot of laughs as Sheldon struggles to deal with the conflicts and feelings within himself that a platonic relationship with a member of the opposite sex, that he grudgingly learns to respect, would entail.

And just one more add on: While AFF wasn't consistently ranked as low as I would have expected in threads of favorite to least favorite characters, it was surprising to see Bernadette near the bottom of many lists. It wasn't that people actively disliked her (or so I infer), just people didn't feel an affinity for the character. Curious stuff.

• Like 1

I've read more postings since my initial one, especially on favorite characters. It is interesting that AFF doesn't rank consistantly low, although she does seem to bring out extreme feelings in people. As someone pointed out, females seem to like her a lot more than males. I'm going to theorize that some of those males have been involved in relationships, and their partners tried to "change" them to make them better. In my experience, this rarely works, as we males are stubborn creatures. But women might see Sheldon as a project who needs a lot of improvement that a person like Amy can direct him towards, whereas men may see Sheldon's personalitiy as a complex machine of sorts, which if tinkered with will irreparably break. Just a theory, and a theory in progress at that.

I'll restate that I think Mayim is the wrong actress for the part. We go to see plays a few times a year, and I love theatrical productions, but having one person in the play who is obviously acting, rather than in character, can throw the whole production off. In real life, I have known variations of all the characters on the show, even Sheldon, they just aren't as consistently funny or likable as the ones on TV. My girlfriend is in academia and the eccentrics really run the spectrum when we have parties. The exception is AFF, someone I can't say I have ever seen a variation of in real life. It seems Mayim is trying to channel a combination of the Lilith character from Cheers/Frasier and the animated Daria character (MTV?). There was a realness to those characters though, they were somehow sympathetic. AFF, to me, is just an actress trying but not succeeding. Maybe part of it is that like charges repel, and so when she and Sheldon are in a scene, there's not much of sparking that happens when opposites are together. Had I been a writer, I would suggest writing in a female that Sheldon had to share an office with who had a very different view of life, strong willed, highly intelligent but hopelessly optimistic, maybe with strong feminist or other principles, who has an awkward side in an area where Sheldon was confident so they unwittingly compliment each other. It would not matter whether the woman had an attractive appearance or not. The real Sheldon character, if he's not going to be sacrificed and thrown into a relationship for the sake of the show's higher ratings, is never, ever going to be interested in romance, but the right actress could provide a lot of laughs as Sheldon struggles to deal with the conflicts and feelings within himself that a platonic relationship with a member of the opposite sex, that he grudgingly learns to respect, would entail.

And just one more add on: While AFF wasn't consistently ranked as low as I would have expected in threads of favorite to least favorite characters, it was surprising to see Bernadette near the bottom of many lists. It wasn't that people actively disliked her (or so I infer), just people didn't feel an affinity for the character. Curious stuff.

I also think there's a very strong desire among many to see the Ugly Duckling find love and happiness. It's natural for people to root for the underdog.

The original Sheldon has already been sacrificed and thrown into a relationship for the sake of the show's higher ratings. And it's working.

I just saw the rerun of Season 1's "The Jerusalem Duality" - Original Sheldon: "While Mr Kim, by virtue of his youth and naivety, has fallen prey to the inexplicable need for human contact, let me step in and assure you that my research will go on uninterrupted, and that social relationships will continue to baffle and repulse me.

All good things must come to an end. :(

Edited by djvang

You post is perfection. I would have given up being a shenny years ago if I thought they had made the right choice with Amy. It's such a shame. I always wanted Sheldon to have a relationship but I am staggered beyond belief at the choice they made, both in actress and characterization. I think it's sad for the show.

Guest I'm not dead Cheryl

You post is perfection. I would have given up being a shenny years ago if I thought they had made the right choice with Amy. It's such a shame. I always wanted Sheldon to have a relationship but I am staggered beyond belief at the choice they made, both in actress and characterization. I think it's sad for the show.

Sad for the show? an actress in a role that has gotten the show two Emmy nominations for it already? How is that sad?

I absolutely disagree that Mayim is wrong for the part, of course. Mayim has put a lot into the caracterization of Amy that rounds up the character and make it who it is. ç

The fact that @mickk doesn't find her "realistic" because he doesn't knwo someone like her is not a fact but rather an opinion, that I absolutely disagree with. A lot of us here find her relatable, even more than any other character on the show. Is true that that won't be the case for everyone, and, given her characteristics, people who relate to her will be in the minority but there is a lot of people like her.

I am part of the Aspergers Community online. One of the most popular pages is The Authcast... Amy is the beloved character on that community http://thautcast.com/drupal5/search/node/amy%20farrah%20fowler and if you read the articles and comments you will see that indeed there are A LOT of people out there who do find her realistic, who do identify with her and who do think that Mayim is the right one for the part.

Also, to say that Mayim is wrong for the character because you cannot see Sheldon as good with Amy is a fallacy. You say that you always wanted Sheldon in a relationship, fine, but you also ship Shenny which makes me think that the type of relationship you want Sheldon in is definitely not one like the Shamy, since Shenny is almost the total opposite on respects of how a relationship would be like. To then blame your non-canon ship to the actress that plays the part and the character that is on the canon relationship on the show is also unfair, especially since you shipped Shenny even before Amy showed up for what I gather.

I don't ship the Lenny or anyone with Penny, for example, and yet I know that Kaley is the right one for the part, even if her character does not get to me in the slightest or sympathize or identify with her at all.

• Like 8

Does anyone else besides me think that this character ruined most of the fourth season? I have disliked EVERY EPISODE that she's been in so far. She is not funny, not charming, annoying, and shows that the writers are running out of ideas. She sucks. Big time.

If they ran her over with a train for the season finale, I would cheer.

i think u should respect her or leave watchin' the show cuz u dont deserve it .............each and every character of the show fits to perfection . :p bazinga 

Sad for the show? an actress in a role that has gotten the show two Emmy nominations for it already? How is that sad?

I absolutely disagree that Mayim is wrong for the part, of course. Mayim has put a lot into the caracterization of Amy that rounds up the character and make it who it is. ç

The fact that @mickk doesn't find her "realistic" because he doesn't knwo someone like her is not a fact but rather an opinion, that I absolutely disagree with. A lot of us here find her relatable, even more than any other character on the show. Is true that that won't be the case for everyone, and, given her characteristics, people who relate to her will be in the minority but there is a lot of people like her.

I am part of the Aspergers Community online. One of the most popular pages is The Authcast... Amy is the beloved character on that community http://thautcast.com/drupal5/search/node/amy%20farrah%20fowler and if you read the articles and comments you will see that indeed there are A LOT of people out there who do find her realistic, who do identify with her and who do think that Mayim is the right one for the part.

Also, to say that Mayim is wrong for the character because you cannot see Sheldon as good with Amy is a fallacy. You say that you always wanted Sheldon in a relationship, fine, but you also ship Shenny which makes me think that the type of relationship you want Sheldon in is definitely not one like the Shamy, since Shenny is almost the total opposite on respects of how a relationship would be like. To then blame your non-canon ship to the actress that plays the part and the character that is on the canon relationship on the show is also unfair, especially since you shipped Shenny even before Amy showed up for what I gather.

I don't ship the Lenny or anyone with Penny, for example, and yet I know that Kaley is the right one for the part, even if her character does not get to me in the slightest or sympathize or identify with her at all.

I agree with you both and disagree with both. I myself don't ship Shamy because I don't see anyone with Sheldon. The Shenny is way too unrealistic for me. But the Shamy IMO doesn't work either because they have changed Amy's character too much. They have made her too "normal" . I actually like Mayim as an actress but just getting emmy nominations doesn't mean she a great actress.(look at Modern family for example.) Obviously if you read this site people do like  AFF , the Shenny. and the Shamy. I just don't understand the love of the Shenny and the Shamy

Yeah but in changing Amy first allows Sheldon to change.  Sometimes when you see it can be a positive experience in someone you care about, it gives you the freedom to do likewise.

I think Mayim's acting is a lot better when she's being more normal but when she tries to 'do a Sheldon' she's totally wooden. If this is supposed to be portrayal of aspergers it's the worse cartoon version possible.  I have a dear friend who has it and she doesn't identify with Amy in the slightest.

Yeah but in changing Amy first allows Sheldon to change.  Sometimes when you see it can be a positive experience in someone you care about, it gives you the freedom to do likewise.

This sounds nice and I agree. Of course Penny is not possible but Amy is too much of a stretch.

Edited by Spaced_up

I think Mayim's acting is a lot better when she's being more normal but when she tries to 'do a Sheldon' she's totally wooden. If this is supposed to be portrayal of aspergers it's the worse cartoon version possible.  I have a dear friend who has it and she doesn't identify with Amy in the slightest.

You do realize that not all Aspergers people are the same?

I have it and I do identity with her, as well as many others I know, as well as Aspies who don't. There are many colors within the Spectrum, and I do think that Mayim's representation of Amy is very good for the character.

Not liking the character is a different issue, that, of course, you are allowed to, not everybody has to like her character, but to blame it on the actress for playing it how it is supposed to be played is not the same.

Kate Micucci (who later played Lucy) was the other runner up to play Amy back in the day. Would she have been great at it? I don't really know, but it would have certainly have been another character altogether. And that has nothing to do with being a good/bad actress, it has to do with how the actors make the characters their own and imprint their own interpretation on them.

Mayim makes the characterization of Amy be Amy. Wishing another actress to play the same part is basically, wishing to have a different character, because another actress would definitely make it a different one. The truth is, you don't like Amy. Period. And that's fine. But that's not the actresses fault, that is a matter of personal taste and opinion.

Edited by Sursonica
  • Like 4

With all due respect, isn't Amy just Amy like Sheldon is just Sheldon and so on.  Why is it that we must "label" people.  I don't have Asperger's but I do have other things and I can tell you that there are no two people with the same illness that are the exact same way.

And without getting on a soapbox, it is that kind of lumping together that is the basis for a lot of stigma that goes into certain illnesses....

Just sayin'

You do realize that not all Aspergers people are the same?

I have it and I do identity with her, as well as many others I know, as well as Aspies who don't. There are many colors within the Spectrum, and I do think that Mayim's representation of Amy is very good for the character.

Not liking the character is a different issue, that, of course, you are allowed to, not everybody has to like her character, but to blame it on the actress for playing it how it is supposed to be played is not the same.

Kate Micucci (who later played Lucy) was the other runner up to play Amy back in the day. Would she have been great at it? I don't really know, but it would have certainly have been another character altogether. And that has nothing to do with being a good/bad actress, it has to do with how the actors make the characters their own and imprint their own interpretation on them.

Mayim makes the characterization of Amy be Amy. Wishing another actress to play the same part is basically, wishing to have a different character, because another actress would definitely make it a different one. The truth is, you don't like Amy. Period. And that's fine. But that's not the actresses fault, that is a matter of personal taste and opinion.

Of course I know they are not all the same. But it's not even established that Amy has aspergers anyway.  

I just think her representation of Amy (when she's trying to be Sheldon-like) is a little artificial. She does a better job of the normal scenes.

I think that people have to remember that no one exists in a vacuum, not even Sheldon.

Sheldon's line from The Jerusalem Duality (an ANCIENT episode) was quoted regarding his ongoing bafflement in regard to human relationships.  In a way, that hasn't changed all that much--he still stumbles over the nuances of relationships, with all of the people in his social circle.  But he has also been evolving from the beginning, learning from the guys, and oftentimes from Penny, what it means to be a friend--to sacrifice, to share confidences, to be supportive even when you don't want to (or at least, pretend to be supportive.)

He has varying levels of success at these things, but he's been learning to navigate these relationships and it's not as if he's a total hermit.

At any rate, before Amy came along, he had not found anyone who was like him in temperament or outlook or personality.  Even though the character was at first simply concieved as a "female Sheldon"--presumably because that's the kind of person the dating site would have matched him with and because it made more sense, I think, than to have some other kind of woman come along--the genius of their relationship is that, again, their interactions with the group have helped them both to grow.

But Amy is not a carbon copy of Sheldon (and never would have worked for long if that was all she was meant to be.)  Whatever the original thumbnail sketch they had for her character, they obviously liked Mayim and the potential of the character enough to move forward with her.  And as Amy began to want to fit in with the rest of the group beyond just Sheldon ("I'm a girl."), she began to come into her own.

TPTB have said that although she was also socially isolated/stunted like the others, unlike Sheldon, she wants to find that part of herself that she wasn't able to develop while she was growing up.  From what we've heard her say, she wanted to fit in--go to prom, have girlfriends, etc.--but because of her "nerdiness" she was ostracized, etc., as were the guys, in their own ways.

So now that she's found acceptance, especially with Penny and Bernie, she's finally able to explore her "girly" side, if you will.  That she was overly enamored of Penny at first is also kind of typical--a sort of adolescent girl-crush/idol-worship.  If part of her wants to be like Penny--socially active, boyfriends, physically attractive, etc.--she's now found a place where she can safely explore some of that, and then gets a little carried away with it.

She began to experience the things that most girls go through in junior/senior high--sleepovers, make-up, boys, etc.--and wanted to experience it all.

That's very different from Sheldon, who didn't experience the typical adolescent social/sexual processes, but had, as a child, decided that that stuff was a waste of time (the way most pre-adolescent kids think that sex/love is mushy and "gross".)  He hadn't been seeking the experiences they way Leonard, Howard and Raj have been.

BUT, with the advent of Amy, he found himself drawn to her, because of all they have in common.  At first she was also in the "who needs all that pesky romance/sex stuff?" mindset, until she started fitting in with the girls.  And at first he was content to consider a girl/friend who was not his girlfriend.

I think that it was the most natural progression in the world to see him go from finding her interesting in regard to their similar outlook, to finding himself a bit possessive and jealous in regard to others being interested in her.  While he was intellectually saying one thing, his inner caveman was beginning to assert itself.

Though the progression may have been delayed for him, it's, in many ways, perfectly natural.  It's simply been delayed by the other aspects of how he grew up and what he thought he needed to do.

But even now, their relationship is very different from all the others.  They're not interested in jumping in the sack just for the sake of the physical gratification, and their relationship is still primarily about their intellectual compatibility.

Amy, though she has evolved in her femininity, if you will, is still more like Sheldon than anyone else.  She not only understands him, but she finds his personality quirks "cute as a button" and understands the way his mind works in a way that no one else in his social circle does.

As far as Mayim Bialik being the best actress for the role, I think, as Sursonica said above, you can't really say that some other actress would have been better.  What she brought to the portrayal was obviously what TPTB were looking for or she wouldn't have been cast.  And it's not as if she's unknown or inexperienced.

From what Jim and Mayim have talked about in discussing their roles, it seems to me that each of them is making specific choices as they act, and making them for specific reasons.

Whether or not one likes this or that actor/actress, or even likes a particular character, usually has nothing to do with the skill of the actor.  If Mayim were not doing a good job, she wouldn't have gotten an Emmy nomination.  While there are many factors that might go into a nomination, people have to vote for you to be nominated (other members) and it means that to at least some degree she is being evaluated or considered by her acting peers and others in the industry.

Beyond all of this, I think that viewers have to remember that the episodes are being written by the people who are telling the story they want to tell, not the story that this or that individual viewer wants to tell.  If you have some idea in your head of who YOU think the characters are, and then it doesn't work out the way you want it to, you have to remember that you're not the one telling the story and you're not the one creating or developing the characters.

You can fantasize all you want about what you want the characters to be or say or do, but in the end, your fantasy or preference doesn't dictate what the story actually should be.  The story should be what the actual writers want it to be, and that's the way it's going to play out.

So some people are bound to be disappointed if they have the show or the characters in some kind of box in their heads regarding what should or shouldn't happen or who they should or should not hook up with, or even how they should react in any given situation.

Edited by phantagrae
  • Like 9

Regardless of shipping the fact remains unless the writers change things the most important relationship IMO from the Pilot has been Lenny, so it doesen't really matter if you ship Lenny or Penny and Howard or Sheldon and Howard haha, cannon relationships exist based on the function of the show. Like for instance I cannot imagine anyone better for Penny then Leonard, regardless of all the factors in the world that proove they shoulden't be together, they seem to compliment each other, and in S6 have almost become equals which is what i have loved about how the writers have developed their relationship. Penny is treating Leonard not like she settled but he is actually a catch, and Leonard is treating Penny like an actual relationship not the hot chick the nerd scored, he was very submissive in his behaviour now he's challenging Penny alot more now and Penny is compromising alot more now, you saw that change in the VD ep. Regardless of peoples opinions on the relationships in the show, I do beleive Amy is the best GF for Sheldon, cannot imagine Sheldon falling having a relationship with anyone but Amy she is really the perfect type of girl for Sheldon. While personally I will always be confused as to why ppl ship Shenny, I just don't understand where even the idea comes from. I have always loved their love/hate brother-sister maternal relationship and their banter, but thinking the writers would ever develop that into a romantic dynamic is pushing things IMO. Even in a AU they just woulden't work, their characterization is not suddenly going to change if they hyopthetically started dating, just like Lenny hasen't changed individually just because they are dating. Writing a car scene if Shenny were dating, Penny would kill him lol, can you imagine it, it woulden't be pretty Penny would prob kick Sheldon out while driving haha. They are just wayyy to different, and would never work from two completely different worlds, people always go on about Lenny's differences and they have nothing in common, it's even worser with Sheldon and Penny. Even Kaley and Jim said it would be gross like Siblings getting together. That said though everyone has the right to ship who they want too. but Shenny has always been a platonic ship, anyone who thinks Penny well ever see Sheldon in a romantic light are living on another planet TBH lol.

I'm really enjoying reading all of these posts. For the record, it's not that I don't "know" someone like AFF, it's that I've never (ever) even "met" someone like AFF, so as a character she strikes me as inauthentic, and I find Mayim's acting of that character distracting. The closest smart women who speak with a flat emotionless affect and who respond differently to social cues would be some of our more masculine female friends, and I want to be clear I'm not making any sort of moral judgement here, merely that is as close as I can come to relating AFF to a real live human being- and even then, it's still not really even close.

Having spent a decade teaching at a university overseas, I was surrounded by many instructors who had advanced degrees, and it's probably no secret that socially awkward academics seem to outnumber those that are socially adept. Additionally, some of our brightest (and also not so bright) students could be quite quirky too. There were very unique personalities that spanned from amusing to downright creepy. It was very interesting, the best place I have ever worked as far as being intellectually stimulating, and some of the actions of my co-workers were at least as interesting as any TV show writers could imagine. Although I don't teach anymore, my girlfriend does, and we still know quite a few eccentrics who live life with their bodies in ivory towers and their heads in the clouds.

That's why I'm amazed that the other actors on the show do such a good job bringing to life humourous, relatable, flawed characters who in the hands of the wrong actor could be annoying at best, at worst, tragic or villianous.  Jim Parsons was born to play Sheldon. It's hard to imagine anyone else making a character that seems to be half Spock, half prickly spinster aunt, into such an audience favorite.

• Like 1

That's why I'm amazed that the other actors on the show do such a good job bringing to life humourous, relatable, flawed characters who in the hands of the wrong actor could be annoying at best, at worst, tragic or villianous.  Jim Parsons was born to play Sheldon. It's hard to imagine anyone else making a character that seems to be half Spock, half prickly spinster aunt, into such an audience favorite.

And yet, there are people who do find Sheldon annoying and a jerk, who find Howard a creep, who do find Leonard despicable and whiny and who do find Raj extremely pathetic.

So again, it all comes down to the individual perception of the characters by the person watching, not on how "believable" the interpretations of the characters might be.

Edited by Sursonica
  • Like 2

Sursonica, I'm sincere when I say I enjoy reading your postings- they are clearly well thought out, even if I might not always agree.

My thing is that in real life I have known at least a few, if not more, arrgoant, socially maladapted Sheldon types who were highly intelligent, a multitude of sleazy Howard types who seemed oblivious to how they creeped out women, and numerous painfully shy, or at least extremely reticent, foreign Raj types, usually Asian rather than Indian though. And when you think about the ensemble casts of great sit-coms, it seems much more important that a character rings true than have traditionally likable traits. I'm thinking of Larry Linville's Major Burns character on MASH (genius really, both cartoonish yet believable, and consistently without any redeeming qualities), any number of the characters on Cheers, everyone on Seinfeld, and so on. They were all prickly. Sorry these references are a bit dated- it's just what comes to mind now.

I'll continue watching TBBT because it is well written and the characters are well developed, and it's funny, even the weak episodes are funny. But I'm afraid I'll always feel that AFF should have been confined to just a few episodes rather than be a recurring charater. The initial meeting that Howard and Raj set up between her and Sheldon was good, and again, a credit to Jim Parsons for making his anti-social interactions character go from scoffing reluctance to genuine interest in "the date" a believable way. If I was a writer, I think those mood u-turns would be the most difficult things to script in a plausible way.

• Like 1