The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
keithb103

I seriously hate Amy Farrah Fowler

The thing is, though, you don't have to know anyone in real life like any of the characters.  I know plenty of socially awkward people in various fields--some people I went to school with, some people I know as an adult, and varying shades of all of these characters popping up in people around me.

I don't find anything "unrealistic" about the character of Amy or in how Mayim Bialik portrays her.

All of these characters are exaggerations to some extent because that's the way comedy, especially sitcom comedy, is usually written.  There's little room for reality on TV to begin with, but especially in comedy.  Most of the humor comes in exaggerating the issues to underscore the funny.

As for the examples you mention, I think that all of those characters were also exaggerations and caricatures to varying degrees.  Just because one finds something familiar in them doesn't mean that the characters are realistic.  None of the characters on Seinfeld were realistic.  I loved that show and watched it religiously.  But none of those characters were "realistic."  Again, they were exaggerations of certain kinds of people.

And actually, I know some AFF types.  Again, perhaps not exactly like her, because the character is exaggerated for the humor, but, believe me, I know people like her.

I think her character is actually quite brilliant.

AFF is a total drip!

That's a very thoughtful analysis... :icon_rolleyes:

Guest I'm not dead Cheryl

Sursonica, I'm sincere when I say I enjoy reading your postings- they are clearly well thought out, even if I might not always agree.

My thing is that in real life I have known at least a few, if not more, arrgoant, socially maladapted Sheldon types who were highly intelligent, a multitude of sleazy Howard types who seemed oblivious to how they creeped out women, and numerous painfully shy, or at least extremely reticent, foreign Raj types, usually Asian rather than Indian though. And when you think about the ensemble casts of great sit-coms, it seems much more important that a character rings true than have traditionally likable traits. I'm thinking of Larry Linville's Major Burns character on MASH (genius really, both cartoonish yet believable, and consistently without any redeeming qualities), any number of the characters on Cheers, everyone on Seinfeld, and so on. They were all prickly. Sorry these references are a bit dated- it's just what comes to mind now.

I'll continue watching TBBT because it is well written and the characters are well developed, and it's funny, even the weak episodes are funny. But I'm afraid I'll always feel that AFF should have been confined to just a few episodes rather than be a recurring charater. The initial meeting that Howard and Raj set up between her and Sheldon was good, and again, a credit to Jim Parsons for making his anti-social interactions character go from scoffing reluctance to genuine interest in "the date" a believable way. If I was a writer, I think those mood u-turns would be the most difficult things to script in a plausible way.

Thank you, and you should also know that I like reading your posts too even if we don't agree. Respectful counterpoint is always enjoyable even over a disagreement.

I am aware that characters like Amy Farrah Fowler are not something seen on TV that often, and I would venture to say, perhaps because my TV watching is not that extended, that she is a character never before seen, especially not on US Television, and very much especially on such a popular sitcom.

The awkward/nerdy/frumpy/arrogant/extremely-inappropriate character is usually one reserved for the male gender.

Female nerds on TV were always portrayed either as the ugly duck in the background who don't dare speak a word and are terribly shy (usually the type that either: gets rejected by the male lead in favor of a hot one or has to go through the mandatory make over to make the male lead even notice her) or as the male-nerd-dream-pixie-girl who is nothing more than a model-type clad in some glasses and a star wars t-shirt without an agency for themselves.

My sister is a screen-writer and we actually had a conversation about this matter some time ago, talking about female characters.

Amy Farrah Fowler is a very special character to many of us because of that. Because she is a strong character, with many quirks that are usually deemed unacceptable for females and yet, she's still there. She has evolved but her core hasn't changed and yet, the rest of the characters have embraced her as one of their own. And for a character like her, that's huge, and very special for the ones who enjoy it. Amy's little speech on the S6 finale really summed it up on that matter.

Sometimes Amy fans like me have been accused of being overly defensive of her, and maybe that's true (not that i'll stop me), but, and perhaps it is, because I have been in this fandom for so long, I can't help it, because no character has been more viciously attacked in here than Amy.

The truth is, no character and no actor on this show has had it harder than Amy/Mayim. A character that was included on the show on the last episode of S3 and was immediately paired with one of the leads. Season 3-4 hiatus and Season 4 the "insult Amy/Mayim" turned in something almost like a sport, even to the extreme of rude messages to Mayim that made her stop reading comments on her FB page (something that her fans like me really resent, because she used to answer a lot in there, I myself had chats with Mayim that because of it never happened again). Is not your case though, so, sorry for the little rant :)

Anyhow, I do understand (again, even if I don't agree) that some people might not like Amy and that's fine. Like I said and I really believe, she is not a character that is usually seen on TV, at least, not on female form, and besides, that might not be everybody's cup of tea. What I do think it's unfair is blaming it on the actor's interpretation of the role, especially in a character like this, where the actress who plays her has put so much into her characterization. I honestly don't think any other actress could play Amy. Someone else could of course, make  a great job, but it wouldn't be Amy anymore.

Also, I've seen Mayim on other roles, totally different from Amy, and that does tell me she is a great actress. I've seen her play Woody Allen's daughter opposite Michael J Fox on Don't drink the Water, I've seen Blossom, I've seen The Chicago 8 where she plays Nancy Kurshan, and of course, I've seen Beaches and I recently discovered she was the voice of Maria on Hey!Arnold that I never would have guessed it was her, as well as her doing some comedy sketches at ACME. She has a great range, so I wouldn't dream to say she's not doing the role "right".

• Like 2

Sometimes Amy fans like me have been accused of being overly defensive of her, and maybe that's true (not that i'll stop me), but, and perhaps it is, because I have been in this fandom for so long, I can't help it, because no character has been more viciously attacked in here than Amy.

The truth is, no character and no actor on this show has had it harder than Amy/Mayim. A character that was included on the show on the last episode of S3 and was immediately paired with one of the leads. Season 3-4 hiatus and Season 4 the "insult Amy/Mayim" turned in something almost like a sport, even to the extreme of rude messages to Mayim that made her stop reading comments on her FB page (something that her fans like me really resent, because she used to answer a lot in there, I myself had chats with Mayim that because of it never happened again). Is not your case though, so, sorry for the little rant :)

OMG really ?? I would have loved chatting with her !! What a shame !

Anyway, I can understand that some people just can get the character and/or actor. I don't hate any character in the show but there is definitly one or two that I truely don't care. I haven't any affinity with them and sometimes I hate their behaviour because they represent what kind of people I don't like. It's definitly a personal matter. I love Amy because I can identify myself with her in some points and It's the same with Mayim Bialik. And her personality quirks which others find abhorrent or rave inducing I find cute as a button . It's ok not liking a character or even hating it. It's a very subjective topic. But RAGING is definitly a childish and unrespectul behaviour that we must avoid in order to stay civilized. If you don't like Amy then very well but there is litteraly no point in making a thread just to spit on her.

Edited by Redrose

OMG really ?? I would have loved chatting with her !! What a shame !

Anyway, I can understand that some people just can get the character and/or actor. I don't hate any character in the show but there is definitly one or two that I truely don't care. I haven't any affinity with them and sometimes I hate their behaviour because they represent what kind of people I don't like. It's definitly a personal matter. I love Amy because I can identify myself with her in some points and It's the same with Mayim Bialik. And her personality quirks which others find abhorrent or rave inducing I find cute as a button . It's ok not liking a character or even hating it. It's a very subjective topic. But RAGING is definitly a childish and unrespectul behaviour that we must avoid in order to stay civilized. If you don't like Amy then very well but there is litteraly no point in making a thread just to spit on her.

We did! and now that I think about it, it should have been about some other thing that rhubarb pies! LOL. She had posted that she was trying to make a rhubarb pie and I posted that I once tried and it turned out horrible and then she asked about what I had used and what she used, etc. So yeah, we had a chat about pies :p. It was right around when S4 was starting but then things started to get bad on her FB page and the rude and nasty people started to show up.

And of course, I completely agree. I don't LOVE all the characters on the show. I wouldn't go as far as saying "I hate" a character but there is certainly a character I don't care for at all.  That doesn't mean that I need to create threads to say all the negative things that made me not care for it, or post again and again and again the same mean comments.  I focus on the positive and do not rain on that character's fans parade, after all, everybody has the right to like a character without anyone bullying them or trying to make them see all the time how wrong they are, because no one is wrong for liking a character that I may not like.

I don't think it's the way Mayim plays AFF that I see as the problem. It's the way the writers have been all over the map with her. She started out as a copy of Sheldon, which I thought was hilarious, but that only lasted for a few episodes.  Then she went thru her my-loins-are-on-fire stage. Then it was the creepy infatuation-with-Penny stage. Then it was the demanding-and-crabby stage and now it seems to be a pathetic why-doesn't-Sheldon-love-me stage. Just pick one and stick with it! Personally I prefer the original version because it was funny and I don't see any humor whatsoever in the other versions. But I know they're never going to back to the original because too many people have become emotionally attached to needy-Amy for that to ever happen.

Does it occcur to you that they're not going back to the "original Amy" because her character has grown?

None of the characters are what they were like in the first season as they've all grown in various ways.

I don't think her character has been "all over the map" as much as she's been through a pretty normal, organic growth arc.

None of the characters has remained static and none of them are going to remain static.

• Like 3

Does it occcur to you that they're not going back to the "original Amy" because her character has grown?

None of the characters are what they were like in the first season as they've all grown in various ways.

I don't think her character has been "all over the map" as much as she's been through a pretty normal, organic growth arc.

None of the characters has remained static and none of them are going to remain static.

And that "growth" has come at the expense of being funny. Just my opinion of course, if that is allowed.

• Like 1

And that "growth" has come at the expense of being funny. Just my opinion of course, if that is allowed.

For you, I guess it is.

Although I do not think that the "female Sheldon" lasted as long to be taken as "the" reference for Amy. That lasted up to 21 Second Excitation. I don't think that was sample enough to establish that her character was just that. No character can be established in such short amount of time, especially not a supporting one that wasn't even on all episodes.

I guess that it is because I always had that mindset, I never took the evolution of Amy as "change" but as more of a "digging deeper" into who that character was.

• Like 3

Yeah but the original Amy is not sustainable over time, Amy had to grow and evolve to get more storylines or the writers would of hit a wall with her. All great sitcoms evolve over time as do the characters, I mean change is the only constant. Which is what I love about the past three seasons, how much the characters are now evolving and maturing through their experiences and relationships. Besides Amy is a fictional character to say you hate her is a very strong word, dislike sure but hate is going to far IMO. I get where people come from though, I do hear people say Amy and Bernadette ruined the show, and at times I can see their point, and personally I used to diddn't like them because I liked the original cast, and the origins of TBBT. But I have warmed up to them, and honestly the increase in ratings is probably because of Amy and Bernadette. Since S4 TBBT has become alot more serialized in its format, and that was a neccessary change to keep it going, and now maybe we can see in S7 alot more fun in the show. I think Amy is the best girlfriend for Sheldon she is no longer the Female Sheldon, she has evolved a bit to expose her insecurities of always wanting be kinda like Penny just a girl, as she has made references to how she never had that kind of thing growing up. I don't think they well break up why would they do that after three years? They well progress even more this season I expect.

Edited by 3ku11

Yeah, i agree. using the word hate for a fictional character is a bit harsh. I think a lot of the growth in Amy happened because of her being exposed to stuff she hadn't as she was growing up. She never had the girlfriends to have girly chats with and she never had the boyfriend to gush over and fight with. Shes experiencing all that now and thats why she's changing. Sort of like a teenager growing up. I've never seen it as a problem though, i think the way the writers grew her character was very subtle, a little like what they done with Howard. I never noticed how much she had changed until i went back and watched series four a while back, and thats how its supposed to be. I love Amy, i think Mayim plays her wonderfully and honestly cant imagine the show anymore without her or Bernadette in it.

• Like 2

Yeah, i agree. using the word hate for a fictional character is a bit harsh. I think a lot of the growth in Amy happened because of her being exposed to stuff she hadn't as she was growing up. She never had the girlfriends to have girly chats with and she never had the boyfriend to gush over and fight with. Shes experiencing all that now and thats why she's changing. Sort of like a teenager growing up. I've never seen it as a problem though, i think the way the writers grew her character was very subtle, a little like what they done with Howard. I never noticed how much she had changed until i went back and watched series four a while back, and thats how its supposed to be. I love Amy, i think Mayim plays her wonderfully and honestly cant imagine the show anymore without her or Bernadette in it.

I agree. I think it's silly. But I also think it's silly to use the word love for a fictional character. :icon_rolleyes:

I agree. I think it's silly. But I also think it's silly to use the word love for a fictional character. :icon_rolleyes:

If you love a fictional character, it makes sense to continue putting your self into situations where you will be able to bask in that character. I love a lot of fictional characters. 

I actually do understand the dilemma of loving a show and hating a character. I love the show Grimm. I wish the character Juliette was long dead. So I mute whenever she speaks. Drives my husband nuts, but that's how I watch Grimm. It is better than when I used to chant "shut up!" over her dialogue. I've never really felt this way about an actor before.

But BBT is all good. I love Amy and all the other characters. Mayim is doing an amazing job.

Edited by Chaliceinnana
  • Like 1

I think Amy was one of the best things that could happen to the show. Something I've been reading often is how Amy and Bernie ruined the show and the original cast is the only worthy thing. But I really don't get it!! There were 3 very nice season swith just the original cast. I honestly don't know how the show could go on with just them. The characters would either evolve or die. Bernie and Amy not only did that for the characters (especially fow Howard and Sheldon) but managed to become complete and interesting characters.

So,as Amy seems to be the topic here I'll just say my opinio of her. Firstly, I should say that I can understand if someone loves or hates a fictional character. It happens to me all the time especially involving characters from books. When it comes to tv for some reason I have a tedency to dislike most of the characters. And I think that happens because it is easier to critisize a person that doesn't exist and expect of them to be perfect. In TBBT thankfully I like everybody and in specific Amy. She is clever and a really nice person. It most certainly helps that a really talented actress got the role.So, all I have to say is I love her and I expect for her to keep defending herself when needed as she already did in the 7.02 episode.

• Like 3

Amy post Season 4 is pretty much the same, but she had an adolescent growth spurt in S4, S5 and S6, for various reason's, now in S7 their's more of a balance to her character, I think S5 and S6 were pivotal to where the show is now and why the show's rating's are so high now.

Oh really First 3 Seasons shucks your not transparent at all are you lol. Your acts getting old tho, for the record adding Amy and Bernadette added depth to the show, critics alike have said they are a big reason for the shows continued success. Funny thing is i never saw this show as nerds playing video games. If anyone did, youve clearly missed the whole point of the show, its a show about ppl on the backdrop of geek culture, but also a show about geeks becoming socially aware. For the record saying first three seasons are better aint an a fact, but an opinion. I love first three seasons, but tbh in terms of the characterization i prob like S4-7 just as much if not better, Tbbt imo has never been better, S7 was closer to S3 then 4,5,6. So seeing yours and others sensitivity to 1-3, S7 shouldent be an issue. Beleive it or not not all geeks love 1-3 or hate 4-7, Ive talked or seen comments from "geeks" that said the characterizations,, jokes etc. From 1-3 would get stale, and they still love the show as its more centred and grounded now. I have loved Amy in the show, hate for a fictional character anyway is a bit much.

I love Amy. I identify a lot with her. Never being one of the 'pretty girls' growing up and to this day I've never dated anyone or kissed anyone. It makes me sad too, and I latch onto any special moment I have with others since I don't really have friends. A lot of what she says and does touches me since I know where she's coming from. Especially hard for me is I'm neither pretty nor smart, at least Amy has the latter going for her.

There were only 3 seasons with the original characters, 4 seasons with Amy and Bernadette. I think this speaks for the fandom as a whole that they love the way the show has turned to give Howard and Sheldon a woman in their lives. It just works. :)

I used to resent Amy and Bernadettes inclusion in the show, i guess as a rule change is never easy. I had got used to the original cast, a show about four eggheads and their hottie neighbour, the premise i thought made it the greatest sitcom since Seinfeild and Friends. But looking back now its best to apply the concept change is the only constant, Amy and Bernadette added depth to show. They are and Lenny the reason why the show expanded beyond its inital premise, and the reason for its continued success. Most sitcoms who add new characters its usually done to spike ratings, this was done to add to the show, big risk they took but it payed off. When you think about it Leonard and Penny would not be together if Amy and Bernadette never existed. Looking back my first impression back in 2010 (when NZ got S4) i found her like the guys and Penny did to be obnoxious, and her passing comments at Penny to be really creepy. But the eps that made Amy win me over was the Tiara ep in S5, that was just utter comedic brilliance from Mayim, and Herb Garden. I could see the reason she made comments like that towards Penny because she was projecting her own insecurities and wishes onto Penny, she sees Penny as the peak of beauty. And either always wanted to look like Penny, or have a friend like her, and be part of the cool crowd. Ironically Penny was a bully in HS, and thanks to A and B she rang all her former classmates to apologize which i thought was a great moment. The girls have really rubbed off on Penny, and she has rubbed off them, it was Bernadette who told Penny to work more on her relationship with Leonard. And arguably thanks to Penny Amy stopped being the female Sheldon, and found her own identity as a women. So while i understand the resentment towards Amy even Bernadette, because i once did, they have also added so much to the already great ensemble.

Edited by 3ku11
  • Like 2

Sheldon + Penny forever. Much better couple than Penny and short little Leonard, no one could possibly believe she'd go out with that little hobbit.

• Like 1

Sheldon + Penny forever. Much better couple than Penny and short little Leonard, no one could possibly believe she'd go out with that little hobbit.

Lol yes!!! You did it, now does that feel better! For the record Sheldon and Penny would be a very unhealthy relationship :) #Lennyforever. Oh and Penny read this (or Kaley seeing she is a massive Lenny fan), then she would prob throw up and I Wouldent blame her, now go hobbit!! And buy those Season 1-3 dvd's I keep telling you to buy.

Edited by 3ku11

More like Sheldon + Penny never. But, if you believe otherwise, that's your prerogative. There just isn't any supporting evidence for a Sheldon-Penny romantic pairing within the show itself.

• Like 2

Considering this is a thread about Amy, I would have thought linking the delusional ( I've been in trouble for using that word before but I stand by its non judgemental definition of believing something despite mounting evidence to support the opposite) notion of Sheldon + Penny forever to being a better relationship than Sheldon and Amy would have made more sense. But meh, go where your interests take you which is apparently randomly appearing in unrelated threads to bash Leonard.

• Like 1

Considering this is a thread about Amy, I would have thought linking the delusional ( I've been in trouble for using that word before but I stand by its non judgemental definition of believing something despite mounting evidence to support the opposite) notion of Sheldon + Penny forever to being a better relationship than Sheldon and Amy would have made more sense. But meh, go where your interests take you which is apparently randomly appearing in unrelated threads to bash Leonard.

That and a "better" couple is techniquley incorrect, seeing Sheldon and Penny have never been a couple, and their never has been any suggestion of any romantic undertone between them, talk about Creepy Yuck. So how anyone takes anything way from the show that even remotely suggest's that is beyond me, mentle deficiency? lol. I know you can get in trouble for accusing someone of being delusional, but the very definition of being delusional is standing by something despite know no physical evidence to support it, in fact quite the contrary. Considering most of the scenes between them have always been them played as friends/antagonists, and like I Said not even the slightest suggestion of a romantic undertone, I mean let's be honest Penny would run out of town, after vomiting that is lol, that and Kaley ;). I remember Howard said re Sheldon and Penny "It's like a weird comic book crossover". Exactly that only in a comic book, not in reality. But as some have said it would be more appropriate to compare Sheldon and Penny to Sheldon and Amy, seeing this is a thread for Amy, but seeing you used this as an opportunity to bash the character of Leonard, even though all the characters even Sheldon and Penny have said Leonard is a mackdaddy, and out of the guys the perfect guy for Penny, despite his height (Immature much?). Theirs a time and place that is all I am saying.

Edited by 3ku11

Go to Shenny hq if you want to talk about them as a couple, you will be in good company for all of your collective dreams

• Like 1

I will admit it even though I have watched The Lord of the Rings trilogy and I found it ok I was never a big fun of that genre. But what is the matter with hobbits?? I think they're very cool!!

Joke aside I suppose Penny loves Leonard cause he cares about her, he supports her, he helped her appreciate herself more and overcome her fear of commitment. He may not be the tallest man she has ever dated -probably the shortest- but it is obvious that Leonard has the kindest character of them all, he is funny, sweet, smart, kind and so on. He has his disadvantages I am certain but I am positive that whatever he lacks in height he has it in heart. Penny is hot but her main characteristic (at least for me) is her big heart. So they are quite a good match.

Anyway I could be wrong cause I don't really care about celebrities' personal lives but I think Kaley used to date John. I mean John is not Leonard but clothes aside they look exactly the same. And Kaley looks exactly the same as Penny so believe it or not looks sometimes is not as important. Though that's subjective. I think Johny looks fine ;)

Anyway why are you guys surpised?? Usually when Amy is hated Leonard is hated too...

eta: aww I mentioned kind twice!! But he is Sheldon's best friend he worked on that skill I suppose :p And may I add patient :p

Edited by Cecilia
  • Like 3