The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
keithb103

I seriously hate Amy Farrah Fowler

I enjoy Amy's scenes a lot more than I do those with Bernadette. Though Bernadette is a lot nicer to look at. Both are okay and have been positive additions to the cast. But I think the addition of Bernadette made a bigger impact due to the changes it has worked in Howard's character.

no, it wouldn't have been cancelled but been a bit more stalled? definitely. There is just so many times that you can cycle Penny on all the girl storylines, and so many times that you can bring 1 episode female guest stars until the show starts to feel like TAAHM

Seinfeld, Friends and a tone of other shows did fine without introducing more characters.

Guest I'm not dead Cheryl

Seinfeld was a totally different kind of show/humor so, I wouldn't use it as comparison.. and Friends, and while I also think is a different kind of show (I hated Friends, I love TBBT), there were 3 women in the cast.. not just one

I'm surprised at all the "I hate Amy" posts on this board. she's one of the reasons I ENJOY the show. if everyone loves Sheldon so much, why would you dislike his female counter part?

• Like 2

I'm surprised at all the "I hate Amy" posts on this board. she's one of the reasons I ENJOY the show. if everyone loves Sheldon so much, why would you dislike his female counter part?

Because to me, Amy doesn't have the same "adorkable" mixture of bluster, cuteness, humor, geekiness and insecurity as Sheldon. Sheldon is awkwardly cute and has a certain flair; Amy (the character, not the actress) is stereotypically plain and ungraceful. I would want to hang out with Sheldon (albeit perhaps in limited amounts :D), but I would rather have a root canal than spend any amount of personal time with Amy.

• Like 1

Seinfeld, Friends and a tone of other shows did fine without introducing more characters.

Serinfeld had a ton of extra characters. Maybe not permanent cast members, but hardly any of their shows were just the 4 main characters.

As for Amy, she started out as a Sheldon clone, but I get the impression their personalities come from vastly different places. Sheldon avoids human contact and relationships because he does not want them and never has. Amy's avoidance of relationships is more out of accepted rejection. She's made several comments indicating that she does, and did, desire relationships, but just never was able to get one. "A guest in my trundle bed and a boy at my door? I wish I could tell 13-year-old me, it does get better!" Quotes like that are what makes me think this. And now that she is finally gaining the social life she has always wanted, she's over-zealous, trying too hard, and moving too fast.

I love Amy. She's awkward and over-zealous, but she means well and she's trying! She's hysterically funny.

But I must admit, I've recently started watching season 4, and I liked that earlier Amy better than season 5.

As for Amy, she started out as a Sheldon clone, but I get the impression their personalities come from vastly different places. Sheldon avoids human contact and relationships because he does not want them and never has. Amy's avoidance of relationships is more out of accepted rejection.

See, I don't know as we can say that. We know Sheldon *says* he doesn't want or value human relationships, but his actions don't back that up. Remember his behavior this season when Leonard revoked the Roommate Agreement? He missed his friend. Remember how hurt he was that it was his *best friend* Leonard who betrayed him in Alaska? He would have been angry and embarrassed if it had been just Howard and Raj, but the fact that it was Leonard hurt. Rememer how he sought out Penny's company after her breakup with Leonard and was afraid he'd loose her friendship?

I think Sheldon just reacted differently to the rejection of others as a child -- perhaps due to his particular family or local community circumstances, perhaps due to inherent personality traits. Unlike Amy, Sheldon accepted the rejection and turned it outwards -- "I'll reject others before they can reject me." Amy, on the other hand, seems to be more self-aware and takes a more mature approach in that she is willing to keep trying. Does that make any sense??

As for Amy, she started out as a Sheldon clone, but I get the impression their personalities come from vastly different places. Sheldon avoids human contact and relationships because he does not want them and never has. Amy's avoidance of relationships is more out of accepted rejection.

See, I don't know as we can say that. We know Sheldon *says* he doesn't want or value human relationships, but his actions don't back that up. Remember his behavior this season when Leonard revoked the Roommate Agreement? He missed his friend. Remember how hurt he was that it was his *best friend* Leonard who betrayed him in Alaska? He would have been angry and embarrassed if it had been just Howard and Raj, but the fact that it was Leonard hurt. Rememer how he sought out Penny's company after her breakup with Leonard and was afraid he'd loose her friendship?

I think Sheldon and Amy are alike in their desperate desire for friends and relationships as children, but Sheldon just reacted differently to the rejection of others as a child -- perhaps due to his particular family or local community circumstances, perhaps due to inherent personality traits. But unlike Amy, Sheldon accepted the rejection and turned it outwards -- I'll reject others before they can reject me. Amy, on the other hand, seems to be more self-aware and takes a more mature approach in that she is willing to keep trying. Does that make any sense??

Yes it makes a lot of sense. Sheldon's introversion is more extreme than Amy's though, probably because of his non-orthodox path in life, college at 11, grad school at 14, etc... We've been shown many times when Sheldon is all alone making comments about hating relationships and social interactions. Amy at least seems to understand social interactions, whereas we've seen Sheldon many times being utterly clueless, not just putting up a wall. When Sheldon and Raj hook up with Abby and Martha, Sheldon is absolutely in the dark when Martha asks to hang out in his room. He seemed to have zero idea she wanted to hook up. He's in a much deeper social hole than Amy.

He's in a much deeper social hole than Amy.

I agree -- which is why I find him more sympathetic as a character. He desperately *wants* to connect (anyone who goes to the trouble of keeping a log of daily social interactions is certainly trying), but he has absolutely no clue how and probably realizes that he never will. I find that incredibly sad.

I think Sheldon just reacted differently to the rejection of others as a child -- perhaps due to his particular family or local community circumstances, perhaps due to inherent personality traits. Unlike Amy, Sheldon accepted the rejection and turned it outwards -- "I'll reject others before they can reject me."

I totally agree.

I have to agree, she does seem like an attempt at a female Sheldon. Personally, I've never felt that all the different characters in so many shows needed to be in a relationship with someone. It's almost like the writers think they are going to lose something if a character is alone, and that isn't true. Some people are just fine alone, and I feel Sheldon is one of them. He doesn't lose anything. He's still funny, still smart, and still an interesting character. I don't really see how Amy has improved his character.

I think Sheldon just reacted differently to the rejection of others as a child -- perhaps due to his particular family or local community circumstances, perhaps due to inherent personality traits. Unlike Amy, Sheldon accepted the rejection and turned it outwards -- "I'll reject others before they can reject me." Amy, on the other hand, seems to be more self-aware and takes a more mature approach in that she is willing to keep trying. Does that make any sense??

I agree with this, it's an interesting analysis. Somewhere inside, Sheldon does care, but that is much further inside than it has ever been for Amy, so to speak. So Amy, while also being socially awkward (due to her lack of opportunities), is at least a bit more socially acceptable than Sheldon in her behavior because she's more consciously interested in going that way.

I agree with this, it's an interesting analysis. Somewhere inside, Sheldon does care, but that is much further inside than it has ever been for Amy, so to speak. So Amy, while also being socially awkward (due to her lack of opportunities), is at least a bit more socially acceptable than Sheldon in her behavior because she's more consciously interested in going that way.

We have seen Sheldon get hurt on many occasions. He does care. He has feelings. Otherwise, nothing would bother him, but in reality that is not the case.

Some people are just fine alone, and I feel Sheldon is one of them. He doesn't lose anything. He's still funny, still smart, and still an interesting character. I don't really see how Amy has improved his character.

That's what he used to think, too. Now ask him whether he's willing to do without having Amy in his life in some form. :)

Of course he's still funny, smart and interesting without her, but he's clearly happier with her, because she understands him in ways that no-one else does. As they say, we don't need relationships to complete us, we need them as the icing on the cake.

I can tell you that my husband has been the icing on the cake for me in so many ways. I went through two horrible relationships to find him. Lucky for me, third time was a charm. :)

However, my high school principal was a wonderful woman who was not married or in any type of a romantic relationship. She achieved the honor of being the first female principal where I am from. She was smart, caring, and just an all around inspiration for me. When she died my senior year it broke my heart. My class was her last graduating class. At her funeral, it was standing room only. Her friends and family loved her. So she didn't have the icing, but her glaze was there. ;)

We've all been in relationships where we thought that was the right person and they would be with us forever. Then sometimes we realize they won't be. So if Sheldon and Amy split up for good, what do you think he would do? I feel underneath it all that he does have feelings and can be hurt. However, I can't get into the Amy/Sheldon relationship. I don't care much for her character. Just my opinion.

My husband was laughing so much last night while we were watching season 4, and he says, Amy is such a great character! So glad they added her! And I told him about how some people on this forum don't like her, and he couldn't believe it.

I think she is really funny in season 4. I like her in season 5 too, except the weird stuff towards penny, but after the last episode, I'm thinking they may stop doing it. Hope so. But yes, I think she is a good addition to the show.

At first for me, Mayim seemed very fake acting. Muy sobreactuado diria. LOL

Now she is one of my favorites like Penny. :icon_wink:

I think she is really funny in season 4. I like her in season 5 too, except the weird stuff towards penny, but after the last episode, I'm thinking they may stop doing it. Hope so. But yes, I think she is a good addition to the show.

Yes, Mayim brings a lot to the role. Her delivery of dialogues like 'I'm a princess' and 'Armand - dammit' is priceless.

I really liked Amy in season 4. I like her less in season 5.

Partly because of her infatuation with Penny. IMO, if she's gay, it's time for the character to realize it, enough playing around the issue, and if she's not, then it's time to can those innuendoes.

But also it's Amy's general demeanor in season 5, it reminds me of Leonard's evolution from a nice guy to kind of a jerk, as the seasons progressed. These two characters became less vulnerable, and as a result less sweet. The next step is obnoxious.