The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
keithb103

I seriously hate Amy Farrah Fowler

Does anyone else besides me think that this character ruined most of the fourth season? I have disliked EVERY EPISODE that she's been in so far. She is not funny, not charming, annoying, and shows that the writers are running out of ideas. She sucks. Big time.

If they ran her over with a train for the season finale, I would cheer.

She has RUINED the show!!!! If he sleeps with that cow I will never watch again

Amy has corrected Sheldon multiple times, thats what she is good for

how many other characters can even come close to correcting him without him talk back??

Amy won't ruin Sheldon's character at all

amy has already ruined sheldon character facto of life

She's awful...and she ruined Sheldon. Sheldon did need to be fixed a bit and evolve a bit but not like this!!! he's too random and dare I say disgusting. the things she says women don't say typically!!!!

He's not the same guy anymore. He has someone point out the things he's a pain about. Not that the others never tried bwefore because they did. She also has made him somewhat caring. Never before would he hold a hand or kiss anybody. I want him to evolve to a point but I don't want him to become a social butterfly or anything. His not caring about anybody else was refreshing.

I like Amy Farrah Fowler. I don't think she's farfetched - exaggerated maybe, but AFF's do exist in the world.

I also don't think she's ruined Sheldon - characters on sitcoms that run multiple seasons have to evolve or the story ceases to be interesting. Besides, real people evolve - just ask Darwin.

I don't hate her and I actually really do like her a lot but I prefer s4 Amy over s5 Amy. She's certainly become a little too enthusiastic for my taste. I mean, she is still absolutely hysterical, but part of me finds it a tad irritating.

I agree with some of the posts here. Amy's character has changed a lot from season 4 to season. At first she was the exact opposite of Sheldon, now she is showing a lot of emotions and comes off as annoying, she went overboard with the whole maid of honor thing ever time it was brought up..she needs to go back to being the "creature of pure intellect" ...like Sheldon would say.

He's not the same guy anymore. He has someone point out the things he's a pain about. Not that the others never tried bwefore because they did. She also has made him somewhat caring. Never before would he hold a hand or kiss anybody. I want him to evolve to a point but I don't want him to become a social butterfly or anything. His not caring about anybody else was refreshing.

There is a thread on this forum called 'the human side of Sheldon', which contains many examples of how Sheldon at times behaved in a human/caring/vulnerable way much before Amy came on the scene. Sheldon was never meant to be an emotionless robot. If nothing else, his outburst of ecstasy and awkward hug when Penny gave him the Leonard Nimoy napkin, was enough evidence of this.

I liked her when she was a female version of Sheldon. It was hilarious when they would discuss the other characters as if they were observing lab specimens. This season they've changed her into a love-starved harpy who is very creepy. They're using her to change Sheldon from a refreshingly unique character into just another goofy guy having relationship problems.

listen in nots only AFF its the paradigm shift from TBBT to a relationship sitcom

I liked her when she was a female version of Sheldon. It was hilarious when they would discuss the other characters as if they were observing lab specimens. This season they've changed her into a love-starved harpy who is very creepy. They're using her to change Sheldon from a refreshingly unique character into just another goofy guy having relationship problems.

Well, I agree on this. But part of me likes it because I think it helps move Sheldon and Amy's relationship forward. I think it's definitely the reason the writers has turned her personality into a someone who has a little more dimension.

My reason for disliking Sheldon is because I no longer like the way Jim portrays Sheldon. Sheldon has changed but I don't think Amy is the cause for ruining Sheldon. I still get a kick out of seeing him learn to be normal because whatever he thinks is weird, is normal, and normal... is weird. He's also never been through certain experiences the way most people have, so he approaches things like an alien. And I find it amusing.

I love Sheldonian! I don't mind the Amy character but I preferred it when Sheldon was one on his own. He is unique and doesn't need a foil for his wit or character.

Well, I agree on this. But part of me likes it because I think it helps move Sheldon and Amy's relationship forward. I think it's definitely the reason the writers has turned her personality into a someone who has a little more dimension.

My reason for disliking Sheldon is because I no longer like the way Jim portrays Sheldon. Sheldon has changed but I don't think Amy is the cause for ruining Sheldon.

I agree with the first part. Amy being identical to Sheldon was amusing but it didn't lead to any long-term story arc.

Regarding the changes in Sheldon, I think they are at least partly due to his latent feelings for Amy. Things like his being more lively, sometimes hyper-excited, and trying (more than before) to experiment with greater socialization.

Whatever it is, I believe it is incorrect to say that the change originates in the way Jim is portraying Sheldon. I don't think the actors on the show get a free rein to morph characters against the wishes of the writers/directors. So whatever that is happening has to be a very conscious, planned move on the side of the show. Given that Jim has played Sheldon in a particular way for years, I don't think he would have the slightest difficulty in continuing to play him in exactly the same way, were he told to do so. He's obviously being told to affect modifications. And for a reason.

My reason for disliking Sheldon is because I no longer like the way Jim portrays Sheldon. Sheldon has changed but I don't think Amy is the cause for ruining Sheldon.

I agree with the first part. Amy being identical to Sheldon was amusing but it didn't lead to any long-term story arc.

Regarding the changes in Sheldon, I think they are at least partly due to his latent feelings for Amy. Things like his being more lively, sometimes hyper-excited, and trying (more than before) to experiment with greater socialization.

Whatever it is, I believe it is incorrect to say that the change originates in the way Jim is portraying Sheldon. I don't think the actors on the show get a free rein to morph characters against the wishes of the writers/directors. So whatever that is happening has to be a very conscious, planned move on the side of the show. Given that Jim has played Sheldon in a particular way for years, I don't think he would have the slightest difficulty in continuing to play him in exactly the same way, were he told to do so. He's obviously being told to affect modifications. And for a reason.

100% agree with you in regards to Jim's portrayal of Sheldon, he has always maintained that he plays the character from how it is written and he is directed. I like Amy, and am happy for her to stay, I find her very funny, just I don't like "Amy" specific episodes. For me "specific" episodes should only be for the original 5, and I would like to see more "Penny" specific ones.

Jim does the Sheldon character pretty much as he is directed and as the script is written although his talent brings the character to life. Any changes in Sheldon's personality is not because of Jim but because of how the director and writers want him to change.

As for Amy, I like her as long as she isn't hitting on Penny. I like the idea that there is someone out there for almost everyone, including Sheldon.

Yeah me too, he's a difficult sod to put it mildly and I agree it must be direction from the writers, I don't think Jim would just change him. For me Sheldon seems most off character when he's with the guys. This silliness coming through in him. He's more on character in scenes with Amy, in my opinion. I think it's impressive have managed to give him a girlfriend at all, and not change him totally.

Yeah me too, he's a difficult sod to put it mildly and I agree it must be direction from the writers, I don't think Jim would just change him. For me Sheldon seems most off character when he's with the guys. This silliness coming through in him. He's more on character in scenes with Amy, in my opinion. I think it's impressive have managed to give him a girlfriend at all, and not change him totally.

You mean the times he starts giggling, or his drinking at the stag party etc? I've wondered about this, too. As you say, he's actually more sedate - more 'himself' - when he's with Amy. So what would they mean by getting him hyper-excited when he's with his friends?

Maybe it's implied that Sheldon is experimenting with socializing a bit more in a 'normal' way (which, of course, he's bad at and therefore comes across as extremely awkward). I can't say for sure that this is related to Amy - it could be, in two ways. One, that he's seeing Amy suddenly into friendship and socializing in a big way, and he's curious about trying it out himself sometimes, because whatever Amy says or does is of interest to him. And two, it may just be the light-headedness of secretly being in love. His odd way of expressing that.

He does seem to be trying to fit in with the guys, someone needs to tell him to stop. :icon_lol:

He does seem to be trying to fit in with the guys, someone needs to tell him to stop. :icon_lol:

What makes it even more ironic is that he's trying to 'fit in' with the nerd guys. I mean, Leonard, Raj and Howard aren't exactly the smoothest socialites out there themselves. :p

Well, I don't know. Whenever a show begins to lose the quality it once had, I tend to see a natural shift. If the writing goes downhill, it affects the actors who play their character therefore the characters change as well. In this case, I think parts of s5 has really been going downhill as well. And this includes Sheldon and I'm not saying every character is falling into that because I still think they're likeable and their performance hasn't changed as much (except for Amy). At the same time, I don't necessarily know if it's completely the writing, but I guess it could be because of what he was told to do it and he wasn't given the option. But Sheldon appears meaner to me. He's consistently been arrogant in the past but Jim manages to turn his arrogance in a way that I always found lovable til' this year. So, I think it wasn't the best move on the writers who made a decision to change the way Jim is acting.

Well, I don't know. Whenever a show begins to lose the quality it once had, I tend to see a natural shift. If the writing goes downhill, it affects the actors who play their character therefore the characters change as well. In this case, I think parts of s5 has really been going downhill as well. And this includes Sheldon and I'm not saying every character is falling into that because I still think they're likeable (but not as funny) and their performance hasn't changed (except for Amy). At the same time, I don't necessarily know if it's completely the writing, but I guess it could be because of what he was told to do it and he wasn't given the option. But Sheldon appears meaner to me. He's consistently been arrogant in the past but Jim manages to turn his arrogance in a way that I always found lovable til' this year. So, I think it wasn't the best move on the writers who made a decision to changing the way Jim is acting.

I could have believed that Jim might be losing interest in the job, after 5 years of doing it, and not performing with his heart (hence the characterization going down), if he hadn't gone on record to say exactly the opposite.

From his interviews, it seems clear that Jim is an avid lover of the Sheldon/Amy relationship, and he says again and again that he finds it fascinating to play his scenes with Mayim and the transformations in Sheldon that this relationship brings. To quote, for example:

Actually, Parsons notes, in the past two seasons Sheldon has begun having a few unsure moments, often catalyzed by his new “girlfriend.†With the addition of Mayim Bialik’s Amy Farrah Fowler as his intellectual—and, to a lesser extent, romantic—foil, Parsons says he feels privileged that lately, “every once in a while, we’re doing a scene and it feels as if the work is allowed to be a little deeper and richer than it was in the past.â€

So he doesn't see it as a decline, he sees it as a subtle change that prevents him from losing interest, if anything. Also, with the ratings and accolades at their peak at this time, I don't think any of the cast can be realistically feeling that things are going downhill.

Another thing - I don't think Sheldon has behaved in a meaner way lately, at all. I'm surprised why you feel that way. He has certainly behaved in a goofy and generally out-of-character way at times recently, but this has involved trying to be friendlier and more human, if anything. I think his egoism and arrogance were much more apparent in the 'old Sheldon', especially in the earlier seasons. Sheldon in season 1 would never consider apologizing sincerely to anyone, for example.