The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
keithb103

I seriously hate Amy Farrah Fowler

Well, I don't know. Whenever a show begins to lose the quality it once had, I tend to see a natural shift. If the writing goes downhill, it affects the actors who play their character therefore the characters change as well. In this case, I think parts of s5 has really been going downhill as well. And this includes Sheldon and I'm not saying every character is falling into that because I still think they're likeable (but not as funny) and their performance hasn't changed (except for Amy). At the same time, I don't necessarily know if it's completely the writing, but I guess it could be because of what he was told to do it and he wasn't given the option. But Sheldon appears meaner to me. He's consistently been arrogant in the past but Jim manages to turn his arrogance in a way that I always found lovable til' this year. So, I think it wasn't the best move on the writers who made a decision to changing the way Jim is acting.

I could have believed that Jim might be losing interest in the job, after 5 years of doing it, and not performing with his heart (hence the characterization going down), if he hadn't gone on record to say exactly the opposite.

From his interviews, it seems clear that Jim is an avid lover of the Sheldon/Amy relationship, and he says again and again that he finds it fascinating to play his scenes with Mayim and the transformations in Sheldon that this relationship brings. To quote, for example:

Actually, Parsons notes, in the past two seasons Sheldon has begun having a few unsure moments, often catalyzed by his new “girlfriend.†With the addition of Mayim Bialik’s Amy Farrah Fowler as his intellectual—and, to a lesser extent, romantic—foil, Parsons says he feels privileged that lately, “every once in a while, we’re doing a scene and it feels as if the work is allowed to be a little deeper and richer than it was in the past.â€

So he doesn't see it as a decline, he sees it as a subtle change that prevents him from losing interest, if anything. Also, with the ratings and accolades at their peak at this time, I don't think any of the cast can be realistically feeling that things are going downhill.

Another thing - I don't think Sheldon has behaved in a meaner way lately, at all. I'm surprised why you feel that way. He has certainly behaved in a goofy and generally out-of-character way at times recently, but this has involved trying to be friendlier and more human, if anything. I think his egoism and arrogance were much more apparent in the 'old Sheldon', especially in the earlier seasons. Sheldon in season 1 would never consider apologizing sincerely to anyone, for example.

Funny. I see Sheldon as getting a lot meaner now. He regularly insults people with intent whereas he used to say things that were only inadvertently insulting.

I kind of see him turning into his mother.

Well, I don't know. Whenever a show begins to lose the quality it once had, I tend to see a natural shift. If the writing goes downhill, it affects the actors who play their character therefore the characters change as well. In this case, I think parts of s5 has really been going downhill as well. And this includes Sheldon and I'm not saying every character is falling into that because I still think they're likeable (but not as funny) and their performance hasn't changed (except for Amy). At the same time, I don't necessarily know if it's completely the writing, but I guess it could be because of what he was told to do it and he wasn't given the option. But Sheldon appears meaner to me. He's consistently been arrogant in the past but Jim manages to turn his arrogance in a way that I always found lovable til' this year. So, I think it wasn't the best move on the writers who made a decision to changing the way Jim is acting.

I could have believed that Jim might be losing interest in the job, after 5 years of doing it, and not performing with his heart (hence the characterization going down), if he hadn't gone on record to say exactly the opposite.

From his interviews, it seems clear that Jim is an avid lover of the Sheldon/Amy relationship, and he says again and again that he finds it fascinating to play his scenes with Mayim and the transformations in Sheldon that this relationship brings. To quote, for example:

Actually, Parsons notes, in the past two seasons Sheldon has begun having a few unsure moments, often catalyzed by his new “girlfriend.†With the addition of Mayim Bialik’s Amy Farrah Fowler as his intellectual—and, to a lesser extent, romantic—foil, Parsons says he feels privileged that lately, “every once in a while, we’re doing a scene and it feels as if the work is allowed to be a little deeper and richer than it was in the past.â€

So he doesn't see it as a decline, he sees it as a subtle change that prevents him from losing interest, if anything. Also, with the ratings and accolades at their peak at this time, I don't think any of the cast can be realistically feeling that things are going downhill.

Another thing - I don't think Sheldon has behaved in a meaner way lately, at all. I'm surprised why you feel that way. He has certainly behaved in a goofy and generally out-of-character way at times recently, but this has involved trying to be friendlier and more human, if anything. I think his egoism and arrogance were much more apparent in the 'old Sheldon', especially in the earlier seasons. Sheldon in season 1 would never consider apologizing sincerely to anyone, for example.

Ya know what, I'm starting to think I see Sheldon be meaner because I don't like it when Sheldon and Amy argue (like they did in TVS) or anytime they're mad at each other. So, I visualize it a lot worse than it actually was. Those scenes often make me cringe.

But I think there wasn't that many episodes where both Sheldon and Amy argue. That might've been the only time they both spoke up to one another in that way about something.

Guest I'm not dead Cheryl

Actually I was talking to my sister about it yesterday on the phone, (she teaches screenwriting and uses Tbbt for her classes sometimes) and she said that a lot of her students thought that about Sheldon specially this season. But as they studied the scripts and made a recollection of moments, they came to the conclusion that Sheldon gives the impression of being meaner this last couple of seasons even if he still acts the same to his friends, and that happens because of contrast with his behaviour with Amy

Meaning that he seems meaner to the rest of the characters because now we see him acting equal to equal with Amy, something that didn't happen before. He worries about Amy, he cares about her, and he is constantly seeking her company. And he is actually "nice" to her most of the time. But he still acts the same to the other characters. Therefore, the same behaviour now, looks worst since there is another line of behaviour that is much nicer than his usual self (with Amy)... acting as contrast...I actually thought it was really interesting and it does make a lot of sense.

did my explanation make any sense? LOL I'm having problems explaining it, but I think you get the gist-.

Ya know what, I'm starting to think I see Sheldon be meaner because I don't like it when Sheldon and Amy argue (like they did in TVS) or anytime they're mad at each other. So, I visualize it a lot worse than it actually was. Those scenes often make me cringe.

But I think there wasn't that many episodes where both Sheldon and Amy argue. That might've been the only time they both spoke up to one another in that way about something.

I remember sheldon saying he was sorry in season 1. I don't remember when, but I remember taking note of it. It wasn't done in a big deal way like in season 5, but he said he was sorry to someone about something. I remember taking note of it, because so many things in season 1 are inconsistent.

Funny. I see Sheldon as getting a lot meaner now. He regularly insults people with intent whereas he used to say things that were only inadvertently insulting.

I kind of see him turning into his mother.

I saw that as Sheldon just understanding social interactions/sarcasm a bit better now. So while he's still being Sheldon in his comments, they may not seem quite so unconscious. Many times they still are - like his whole condescending 'support' of Leonard against his bully in Speckerman - but sometimes it resembles more the ribbing between the other characters.

He did seem clueless (and rather vulnerable) when he asked Penny if she also thought he was a condescending jerk, in Hawking Excitation. So basically he still believes he's 'pulling people up' rather than putting them down, and the twinkle is involuntary!

Actually I was talking to my sister about it yesterday on the phone, (she teaches screenwriting and uses Tbbt for her classes sometimes) and she said that a lot of her students thought that about Sheldon specially this season. But as they studied the scripts and made a recollection of moments, they came to the conclusion that Sheldon gives the impression of being meaner this last couple of seasons even if he still acts the same to his friends, and that happens because of contrast with his behaviour with Amy

Meaning that he seems meaner to the rest of the characters because now we see him acting equal to equal with Amy, something that didn't happen before. He worries about Amy, he cares about her, and he is constantly seeking her company. And he is actually "nice" to her most of the time. But he still acts the same to the other characters. Therefore, the same behaviour now, looks worst since there is another line of behaviour that is much nicer than his usual self (with Amy)... acting as contrast...I actually thought it was really interesting and it does make a lot of sense.

did my explanation make any sense? LOL I'm having problems explaining it, but I think you get the gist-.

That's an interesting analysis. Also, as snowflower says, those who like his relationship with Amy sometimes get put off by the few times he has behaved roughly with her, like ignoring her achievement in Shiny Trinket and arguing with her arrogantly in Vacation Solution. Of course, the times (and ways) in which he's nice to her and values her outnumber the instances of bad behavior - and in all those cases he had to recant - but in some ways it's a natural reaction. Even to shippers, we have to keep reminding that this is Sheldon, he's not going to become Mr. Perfect Boyfriend overnight (or probably ever).

I remember sheldon saying he was sorry in season 1. I don't remember when, but I remember taking note of it. It wasn't done in a big deal way like in season 5, but he said he was sorry to someone about something. I remember taking note of it, because so many things in season 1 are inconsistent.

You will have to remind me of the scene. But on the whole, season 1 Sheldon did give the impression of being unapologetically arrogant, and didn't even step back and think after major cases of misbehavior like in Bat Jar Conjecture or Cooper-Hofstadter Polarization.

Edit: he did say sorry to Dr. Gablehouser after his mother forced him into it (Luminous Fish), but even that was pretty backhanded ('I said you're an idiot, I'm sorry for pointing it out', something like that). :D

I agree, Sheldon treats Amy and everybody else like they're two different beings (well, I'm kinda exaggerating) because he's in love with her. He's able to be devoted to her and change himself in order to please her. He's willing to put more time and effort into making her happier than with anybody else. In TFSA, Sheldon consoles Amy even though he didn't like it and doesn't tell her this, but instead, tells Leonard and Howard and blames them for it. Sheldon respects Amy in a way he doesn't with everybody else (unless you include his mother).

EDITED:

Well, Sheldon has changed for the better though his attitude doesn't necessarily affect his actions. And it's not easy for some people to see through that because he IS quite insulting at times now. He does in fact prove to be caring but he speaks with a loud mouth which can overshadow his kindness.

Honestly, the girlfriends have ruined the show for me. I stopped watching season 5 halfway through. I'll be honest here... I'm really tough to please when it comes to good comedies. It's just that I feel like there's so much generic crap on TV as far as sitcoms go, it was a breath of fresh air when I started watching the big bang theory. Finally, a show that is unafraid to do its own thing, to stay clear of the romance and sex centered plotlines and jokes that dominate most of the other sitcoms. Unlike the sea of crap that populates the TV networks, I finally found a sitcom that was funny. Not just funny, hilarious.

Then the writers saw the success of Sheldon's character, and thought they could raise viewership by adding a second Sheldon. We got Amy: an unfunny, unoriginal, poorly acted character that has the superpower of being able to suck the funny out of absolutely any scene she's in. As if that was bad enough, annoying Disney chipmunk Burnadette becomes a regular, and Raj pretty much gets demoted to a guest star to make room for the two unwelcome characters.

At least I still have Curb and Sunny, but damn, I'm going to miss this show. And yeah, I know I'm gonna get flamed for this, told to GTFO and stop posting if I hate the show, etc. The reason I'm here is because I saw a facebook update of BBT and I drifted here, saw this thread, and had to post. I care because I'm a Big Bang Theory fan who doesn't like what this show is turning into. This is exactly how it started with The Office... And now that show has reached a point where longtime fans were practically begging NBC to cancel it when they announced it was getting a 9th season.

I like Amy Farrah Fowler. I don't think she's farfetched - exaggerated maybe, but AFF's do exist in the world.

I also don't think she's ruined Sheldon - characters on sitcoms that run multiple seasons have to evolve or the story ceases to be interesting. Besides, real people evolve - just ask Darwin.

I see this said a lot around here, but I don't know where people are getting it from. The must successful sitcom of all time had almost zero change in the characters throughout its 9 season run. I'm talking about Seinfeld. Kramer was always the goofball neighbor, George was always the neurotic moron, Jerry was always the "normal guy", etc. Since when is there this rule that characters *have* to change, or the show gets unfunny?

The Big Bang Theory isn't Seinfeld. Seinfeld was a one of a kind show, and it is totally dumb to compare it with any other show.

Having said that, everybody is entitled to their own opinion. I love Amy, she's my favorite character. If you don't like her, fine, again, your opinion, but whateaver. She's not going anywhere.

The Big Bang Theory isn't Seinfeld. Seinfeld was a one of a kind show, and it is totally dumb to compare it with any other show.

Having said that, everybody is entitled to their own opinion. I love Amy, she's my favorite character. If you don't like her, fine, again, your opinion, but whateaver. She's not going anywhere.

What exactly is dumb about the comparison? Did you not comprehend it? I think it worked quite well. People on here say that if you don't change the characters over the course of a show, the show is destined to fail. I gave an example of a show that did not change the characters over the course of its run, and the show did not fail. What about this did you not understand?

That's nice that you like Amy, I'm happy for you. But you have to understand that the original fanbase of this show is not happy at all. We liked this show because it was different. But it's losing what made it funny. It's just not funny anymore. To us, anyways. I know it's not just me, because amongst everyone I know, not one of us watches anymore for the same reasons. There is one person I know who likes it though: my mom. :icon_confused:

What exactly is dumb about the comparison? Did you not comprehend it? I think it worked quite well. People on here say that if you don't change the characters over the course of a show, the show is destined to fail. I gave an example of a show that did not change the characters over the course of its run, and the show did not fail. What about this did you not understand?

That's nice that you like Amy, I'm happy for you. But you have to understand that the original fanbase of this show is not happy at all. We liked this show because it was different. But it's losing what made it funny. It's just not funny anymore. To us, anyways. I know it's not just me, because amongst everyone I know, not one of us watches anymore for the same reasons. There is one person I know who likes it though: my mom. :icon_confused:

I did comprehend thank you very much. What I meant is that Seinfeld is a show that was on a league of it's own. It was the first and only sitcom with that premise. So it is not apropiate to compare it with any other show. The Big Bang Theory has a well-defined plot as it is a traditional sit-com. Seinfeld is not, it was a show about "nothing" and it is regarded as a one of a kind show. So no, you can't compare them. Larry David's motto was "No hugging, no learning" and you can clearly see that motto has not place in The Big Bang Theory universe. TBBT's premise is exactly the opposite.

And second. I AM part of the original fanbase. I have been watching the show since 2007 since it premiered, and I know a lot of people who have been watching since the very beginning and still love the show, so don't speak for "everyone" because you are not.-

Honestly, the girlfriends have ruined the show for me. I stopped watching season 5 halfway through. I'll be honest here... I'm really tough to please when it comes to good comedies. It's just that I feel like there's so much generic crap on TV as far as sitcoms go, it was a breath of fresh air when I started watching the big bang theory. Finally, a show that is unafraid to do its own thing, to stay clear of the romance and sex centered plotlines and jokes that dominate most of the other sitcoms. Unlike the sea of crap that populates the TV networks, I finally found a sitcom that was funny. Not just funny, hilarious.

Then the writers saw the success of Sheldon's character, and thought they could raise viewership by adding a second Sheldon. We got Amy: an unfunny, unoriginal, poorly acted character that has the superpower of being able to suck the funny out of absolutely any scene she's in. As if that was bad enough, annoying Disney chipmunk Burnadette becomes a regular, and Raj pretty much gets demoted to a guest star to make room for the two unwelcome characters.

At least I still have Curb and Sunny, but damn, I'm going to miss this show. And yeah, I know I'm gonna get flamed for this, told to GTFO and stop posting if I hate the show, etc. The reason I'm here is because I saw a facebook update of BBT and I drifted here, saw this thread, and had to post. I care because I'm a Big Bang Theory fan who doesn't like what this show is turning into. This is exactly how it started with The Office... And now that show has reached a point where longtime fans were practically begging NBC to cancel it when they announced it was getting a 9th season.

I like Amy Farrah Fowler. I don't think she's farfetched - exaggerated maybe, but AFF's do exist in the world.

I also don't think she's ruined Sheldon - characters on sitcoms that run multiple seasons have to evolve or the story ceases to be interesting. Besides, real people evolve - just ask Darwin.

I see this said a lot around here, but I don't know where people are getting it from. The must successful sitcom of all time had almost zero change in the characters throughout its 9 season run. I'm talking about Seinfeld. Kramer was always the goofball neighbor, George was always the neurotic moron, Jerry was always the "normal guy", etc. Since when is there this rule that characters *have* to change, or the show gets unfunny?

I like Sunny as well but I wouldn't say it's off the romantic aspect. Of course none of them can find/stay in a relationship but they are always trying to hook up with girls.

The only reason Seinfeld worked was because of the era. The things they did in Seinfeld you couldn't do in today's society, technology would muck it up. Seinfeld came along before we were a tech savvy bunch. In all honesty the show went down hill when David left.

amd they did try to change the characters, they just somehow saved a permanant change....

You're right. Honestly, I think the biggest issue for me is the change in caste. To me, Amy and Burnadette have completely ruined the chemistry of the main characters as well as the chemistry of the show itself... I can't begin to express how excited I would be if the characters were written off after this season, because honestly, the first 3 seasons were some of the funniest seasons of any show I've ever watched. I miss that. I've missed out on like half of season 5, and I have a long flight tomorrow, so I'm planning on catching up on my laptop. Maybe the show's gotten better again since I stopped watching, I don't know. There's been some standout episodes that I really enjoyed from seasons 4 and 5, but I tend to dislike any episode in which Amy or Burnadette dominate the screen because I don't find either of them funny, and they're a constant reminder to me that they are the reason the show has gone so downhill (for me and others at least, don't know how you guys like these characters, but to each his own).

Just to clarify, I have been a fan since the show first aired and am one of those who is happy with the addition of Bernadette and Amy. Comparisons to Seinfeld is meaningless to me because I didn't like the show since I found the characters on the show a bunch of shallow narcissists. Obviously it was a very popular show and many liked it, I just wasn't one of them. I am one of those individuals who like to see the characters on a show grow and mature as their lives progress. I find characters who do not ever change or mature boring and stagnant. I like the idea that 4 successful nerds grow emotionally and in their personal lives as time goes by. Frankly I would find it sad that if all of them spent the rest of their lives never finding love, other interests, or starting families. The trick is to have them do that while still maintaining their ties with each other.

You're right. Honestly, I think the biggest issue for me is the change in caste. To me, Amy and Burnadette have completely ruined the chemistry of the main characters as well as the chemistry of the show itself... I can't begin to express how excited I would be if the characters were written off after this season, because honestly, the first 3 seasons were some of the funniest seasons of any show I've ever watched. I miss that. I've missed out on like half of season 5, and I have a long flight tomorrow, so I'm planning on catching up on my laptop. Maybe the show's gotten better again since I stopped watching, I don't know. There's been some standout episodes that I really enjoyed from seasons 4 and 5, but I tend to dislike any episode in which Amy or Burnadette dominate the screen because I don't find either of them funny, and they're a constant reminder to me that they are the reason the show has gone so downhill (for me and others at least, don't know how you guys like these characters, but to each his own).

Good luck. I hope you find some parts to enjoy in season 5. You might want to try Transporter Malfunction and Hawking Excitation.

Just to clarify, I have been a fan since the show first aired and am one of those who is happy with the addition of Bernadette and Amy. Comparisons to Seinfeld is meaningless to me because I didn't like the show since I found the characters on the show a bunch of shallow narcissists. Obviously it was a very popular show and many liked it, I just wasn't one of them. I am one of those individuals who like to see the characters on a show grow and mature as their lives progress. I find characters who do not ever change or mature boring and stagnant. I like the idea that 4 successful nerds grow emotionally and in their personal lives as time goes by. Frankly I would find it sad that if all of them spent the rest of their lives never finding love, other interests, or starting families. The trick is to have them do that while still maintaining their ties with each other.

Exactly. And so far, I think the show has maintained that balance pretty well. Howard's wedding was a great example of combining relationship progress with friendship chemistry (all the friends getting together to marry them) and nerdiness (making sure it featured on Google Earth, and Howard flying off to space immediately afterwards).

they took a beuatifal cake and added salt.

I dont believe they can or will get ri of them tho just close your eyes and pretend thier not there

You got be joking me...

I love how Amy pushes Sheldon's comfort zone(also Penny's lol).

Every episode me, my gf and my friends hopes that Sheldon will experience sex.

Lately Amy are getting closer.

On another topic, people boycotting the show based on minor dislikes, I despise you!

Weakminded fools, get's mentally thrown off...by a show, as Sheldon says; I weep for humanity.

For those who boycott the show because they have Bernadette and Amy on the show, have fun with whatever else you are going to watch instead because these two are going to be on the show for a long time. It is obviously your right not to watch the show if you no longer find it entertaining. I know that if it were me and I didn't find it entertaining I wouldn't watch it either, but on the other hand if I no longer watched the show I wouldn't bother to go into a fan forum and whine about how terrible the show is and how I am no longer going to watch it, again and again and again, for months.

It is obviously your right not to watch the show if you no longer find it entertaining. I know that if it were me and I didn't find it entertaining I wouldn't watch it either, but on the other hand if I no longer watched the show I wouldn't bother to go into a fan forum and whine about how terrible the show is and how I am no longer going to watch it, again and again and again, for months.

You know, I've made this comment so many times over here that my comment itself probably got boring!

the biggest issue for me is the change in caste.

Did Raj go from Kshatriya to Vaishya or something? :icon_lol:

LOL. :D I can see you're Indian (like me).

You got be joking me...

And you call others weakminded?

How's that weakminded?

You got be joking me...

And you call others weakminded?

How's that weakminded?

I think he might be referring to Sheldon's comment when Dennis Kim got with the girl. 'Screw him, he was weak'. :D

Actually hate a fictional character? You're kidding right? Dislike I can understand, but hate? I like Amy as long as she isn't hitting on Penny.

Actually hate a fictional character? You're kidding right? Dislike I can understand, but hate? I like Amy as long as she isn't hitting on Penny.

It does seem odd to hate a fictional character... then I remember Jar Jar Binks.