The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
keithb103

I seriously hate Amy Farrah Fowler

Can't say I've ever hated anyone on a television show or movie. There have been many I strongly disliked. The last was the lead character in Eat, Pray, Love.

Guest I'm not dead Cheryl

Actually hate a fictional character? You're kidding right? Dislike I can understand, but hate? I like Amy as long as she isn't hitting on Penny.

It's no different than people who say they love a fictional character. There are plenty of Amy lovers out here.

is not the same. To express love for something a person loves is a way of enjoying it. Hating something and bitching about it all the time, it's just pathetic.

Actually hate a fictional character? You're kidding right? Dislike I can understand, but hate? I like Amy as long as she isn't hitting on Penny.

It's no different than people who say they love a fictional character. There are plenty of Amy lovers out here.

is not the same. To express love for something a person loves is a way of enjoying it. Hating something and bitching about it all the time, it's just pathetic.

So hating a fictional character is pathetic but loving a fictional character isn't?

OK

Loving anything is never pathetic. Obsessing over a fictional character in any way is probably not constructive. Hating anything is negative and destructive. Hating is negative and harmful to the person that does it. Fills a person with harmful and destructive emotions. That someone could hate a character on a tv show is scary, though it is probably not an accurate description of their feelings. Does anyone really hate Amy Farrah Fowler? I hope not.

Loving anything is never pathetic.

What if I love to hurt people?

Obsessing over a fictional character in any way is probably not constructive. Hating anything is negative and destructive. Hating is negative and harmful to the person that does it. Fills a person with harmful and distructive emotions. That someone could hate a character on a tv show is scary, though it is probably not an accurate description of their feelings. Does anyone really hate Amy Farrah Fowler? I hope not.

I agree, hating a fictional character is odd and creepy. But I think loving a fictional character is just as odd and creepy. And I mean love love, not just like a whole lot. We can't love everything, otherwise it becomes so deluded that it doesn't mean anything to love something.

Then you should consider a career as a Dom in one of those clubs that I hear exist. Meet some people that love to be hurt... :icon_twisted:

Obsessing over a fictional character in any way is probably not constructive. Hating anything is negative and destructive. Hating is negative and harmful to the person that does it. Fills a person with harmful and distructive emotions. That someone could hate a character on a tv show is scary, though it is probably not an accurate description of their feelings. Does anyone really hate Amy Farrah Fowler? I hope not.

I agree, hating a fictional character is odd and creepy. But I think loving a fictional character is just as odd and creepy. And I mean love love, not just like a whole lot. We can't love everything, otherwise it becomes so deluded that it doesn't mean anything to love something.

Agreed. Both words are over used and their meanings diluted.

I agree, both sentiments in their extreme form are odd and creepy. But given a choice, I'd rather love something strongly than hate something strongly, whether it's a character or a show or something even more imaginary, like an invisible rabbit.

Sometimes just having the feeling gives a positive glow, even if the object is not real.

As for mildly loving or hating something on-screen - that's pretty normal. I still think it's better, of course, to just not watch or think about something on-screen that I'm mildly hating (or even just not liking). I'm sure there's so much more out there that I could like and have good feelings for. There are already enough problems and reasons for dissatisfacton in real life, why add to it by hating something fictional and then spending my days fixating about it?

I love the shamy, i just wish sheldon would hurry up and have sex already because he needs to blend lol.

But amy, for me is funny.

Does anyone else besides me think that this character ruined most of the fourth season? I have disliked EVERY EPISODE that she's been in so far. She is not funny, not charming, annoying, and shows that the writers are running out of ideas. She sucks. Big time.

If they ran her over with a train for the season finale, I would cheer.

She may have possible ruined the whole series She is AWFUL and the not the woman for my Sheldon

I like Amy's character, but I don't like how the actress portrays her. Her performance is too wooden, not at all nuanced.

People compair Amy to Sheldon, and I agree that their characters are similar - but the caliber of actors could not be more different! Sheldon needs a better foil than Amy.

The bit at the end of the OP cracks me up "not the woman for my Sheldon"

How possessive we become as fans! :icon_eek: Over a fictional character who belongs to his creators and not us.

I'm massively protective of him and guilty of this myself. I think I need a lie down. :icon_cheesygrin:

At this point it was becoming a necessity for me to proudly carry a ShAmy/AFF appreciation badge, hence the avatar and signature :icon_wink:

I like Amy's character, but I don't like how the actress portrays her. Her performance is too wooden, not at all nuanced.

I'm sorry, I'm a bit confused here. In another thread you told me that to separate a character from the actor who portrays him/her was so very difficult, almost impossible!

But I see you are making a clear distinction here. You say you like the character of Amy but you don't like how Mayim plays her? How is it? Following the logic you expressed before, if you actually like the character, it must be because Mayim is doing something right, wouldn't it?

Also, I find it interesting when people say Mayim plays Amy "wooden" or "too robotic", as a bad thing, mainly because, that's how the character is supposed to be! Just as Sheldon, she has many idiosyncrasies that the other "normal" characters doesn't have (like the way she speaks and laughs and the small pause she often does when she finishes a sentence), also, physically, Amy has a disctintive bad posture that Mayim has to replicate all the time (wich causes those "slightly hunched shoulders" that Sheldon seems to like so much :icon_mrgreen:)

If you watch any video of Mayim as herself, you'll see she is NOTHING like Amy, and that is a good indication that she is working to create a character.

To each its own, I agree.

I discovered Mayim as AFF, I'd like to see her in more and diverse roles to make a better judgement of her talent as an actress, but so far I can say that I adore her in TBBT. In my opinion, she is a wonderful foil for Sheldon (Jim had said she is his favorite addition to the show and that he wishes she only had scenes with him, so, I guess he sorta agrees with me :icon_wink:) and for her girlfriends too.

And since she is being considered among the hopefuls to receive an Emmy nod (I haven't checked, is she the only one of the secondary characters of the show?), I'd say she must be doing something well.

Guest I'm not dead Cheryl

I've been a fan of Mayim since Blossom, which was a totally different character than AFF. She was on Beaches where she played a very young CC (Bette Midler), I have seen her in Don't Drink the Water, a movie she starred with none others than Woody Allen (who also wrote it and directed it) and Michael J.Fox, I have also seen her in Curb your Enthusiasm... ALL of those roles were VERY different between them and she totally nailed ALL of them. Mayim is a great actress. You might like her or not, but there is NO way anyone could say she doesn't know how to act.

@sarah - I love your appreciation badge. (And agree with the previous two posts, of course). :)

I don't think Amy is a woman for Sheldon either. They're too similar.

I think they're perfect for eachother their characters compliment eachother.

I'm sorry, I'm a bit confused here. In another thread you told me that to separate a character from the actor who portrays him/her was so very difficult, almost impossible!

But I see you are making a clear distinction here. You say you like the character of Amy but you don't like how Mayim plays her? How is it?

Let me help you with your confusion. It's very simple you if think about it.

I like the idea of Amy's character, and I like some funny scenes with Amy, but I don't love Amy the way I love Sheldon and Howard. Why? Because the actress is crap.

If Amy leaves the show tomorrow, I won't be sorry to see her gone. If she stays, it's okay too. I like Amy well enough, I don't hate her, but Mayim failed to make me love her character. She's just not a good enough actress to bring her character to life.

A great actor brings his character to life. Captain Jack Sparrow as played by Johnny Depp, or Sheldon as played by Jim Parson - they are "alive" and one. It's impossible to separate them, they won't be "Captain Jack Sparrow" or "Sheldon" if someone else plays them. They'd be completely different creatures from a different alternate universe... Savvy? :icon_lol:

In my eyes the actresss is NOT doing something right. If she did, I'd be routing for Amy loudly, since the idea of her character is quite engaging (as created by the writers - lets give the credit where credit is due!) As it stands though, due to Mayim's wooden performance, I couldn't care less if Amy lives or dies.

Sheldon by the way is also supposed to come across "wooden" in many situations, and yet Sheldon is ALWAYS engaging. Jim's performance is such that Sheldon comes alive, like a real living person I could care about.

Amy, as portrayed by Mayim, does not come alive, instead we have a schematic sketch of "what might have been".

I don't know what is "AFF". I've seen Mayim in the clip when she was a teenager playing Blossom, and while it was a very short clip, maybe ten minutes, my impression was the same - wooden, unnuanced performance that failed to engage me. She wasn't a real girl, she was "performing" (rather poorly). JMHO

I don't know if I like her or not, though I must admit, some personal things she comes up with I find hilarious :)

I like the idea of Amy's character, and I like some funny scenes with Amy, but I don't love Amy the way I love Sheldon and Howard. Why? Because the actress is crap.

Whoa! Calling the Netiquette police!, Calling the Netiquette police! Someone is directly insulting one of the members of the cast!

Wait.... but it's the always fair, gentle and humorous Netiquette police herself!

Then it's all right.....I guess.

I'd like to believe she would understand better the subtle difference between saying "I don't like the way she acts" to stat in such a definitive way: "She is crap", but, what do I know?

She's just not a good enough actress to bring her character to life.

And the credentials that qualify you to grade her so harshly are? Remember that judging a performance is merely subjective, is not like builiding up a wall, if the wall has holes on it, the job is done wrong, in the other hand, there is not such exact way to measure acting. It's not as easy as: "I don't like her, then she's awful".

In my eyes the actresss is NOT doing something right. If she did, I'd be routing for Amy loudly

Come on! this is were you are losing me completely.

You, such an ardent and self-declared shipper would be "rooting loudly" for the character that sorta comes in the way of the realization of your romantic tv dream?

Please!

You "like the idea" of a character just posts above you stated you don't like for Sheldon because "she is too similar to him", how is Mayim's "horrible performance" guilty of that too? then you say you give the highest credit the writers deserve for creating a character you have said before you don't like at its very core?

Now come and tell me you don't have any personal reason to dislike the character and all the blame is on the actress that "fails to engage you".

See, if besides of not liking the character, you don't like the way Mayim acts, fine! nobody will force you to like her (and it would be impossible), it's your opinion (always remember that, it's subjective, I know you wrote "JMHO" at the end, but it would be nicer if you weren't so prone to give out your personal opinions and views as if they were absolute truths all along the rest of the message) and I respect it even if I couldn't disagree more, but don't try to say it's all because of her "lack of talent" and nothing else.

You are all the time asking for respect, yet you are so blatantly disrespecting her and the people who like her by denying any talent she could have, while at the same time claiming an objectivity in your judgement that I doubt you are showing here.

None of the times we have argued before I was angry, but now I am. This goes beyond teen-like shipper-wars in my opinion.

You vehemently came after me for suggesting the physical aspect of an actor may cloud some viewers' perception of the character he plays, then you come and as, just as if, claim that the work one of the actors of the show does is worth nothing.

How would you feel if someone (one that probably is angry with you because your dog barks all night and doesn't let him sleep) showed up at your workplace/school and claimed you are "crap" in the work/study you put so much effort in doing?

The fact that the actors/actresses seem so far away from us, are on TV, and supposedly win big, and that we are protected by the anonymity of the internet, doesn't give us the right to be that hurtful to them.

I don't even know why I'm wasting my time with this rant, you will probably come with another rant telling me how worse me and my actions are, but I don't care, I had to say this.

Bottom line is, you don't like her acting? fine, for each one like you, there are at least another one that adores her. Your personal reasons (whatever those are) for not liking her don't make her "crap". Okay?

I seriously hate Penny! I think Kaley Cuoco has no talent for acting whatsoever. She has 1 facial expression, 1 way she always delivers the lines, and a complete and utter lack of a funny bone. She's boring, stupid and annoying. I like Amy and the other girls alot better.

I actually like every one of the characters (although I have my faves, Amy and Sheldon are in an almost-tie in the first place), I have a soft spot for every one of them, and I think we have a rare case here where all the actors and each one of them are doing very, very good in their roles.

Regarding Kaley/Penny, she is not my favorite, @capm, I respect your opinion, but I don't share the hating.

I haven't seen Kaley in any other role yet, and even when I found her a bit unnatural in the first episodes, I'd say she has gotten a lot better, she has natural charm and she can be very funny (a great thing, since she is playing in a comedy :icon_cheesygrin:)

She, as Johnny/Leonard, is playing the type of character that doesn't shine per definition, she is not the 'wacky one', she is the 'straight man', the 'normal one' and also the 'hot girl', but she always manages to play off well with her castmates and bring out the laughs, and something I like and admire of her is that she is not afraid of playing fool, or to lose a bit of that hotness in spite of the comedy or a joke.

Even when I know it's not a popular opinion in this forum, I love the girls-team, I think all of them (and the show as a whole) benefit of their interaction, Penny has expanded her world having Amy and Bernardette as a regular group of peers, and I think that helps her character a lot.

I've gone a bit OT, but since I seriously disagree and loathe the topic in question, I regret nothing :icon_mrgreen:

Have a look at this:

http://cartermatt.com/18805/2012-emmy-preview-modern-family-community-in-supporting-actress-field/

Especially the poll.

And I agree with @sarah, saying 'the actor is crap' is not done. Even if it were true, which in this case critical and public opinion says it's not.

Thank you so much for that link Pomita!

If you allow me, I'm gonna quote what the critic has to say:

"Mayim Bialik, “The Big Bang Theory†(CBS) – If there is anyone from “Big Bang†as deserving as Jim Parsons, it’s Mayim Bialik. Amy Farrah Fowler may actually be the most roll-on-the-floor funny character on the entire show, and her chemistry with Kaley Cuoco and Melissa Rauch has brought a new dimension to a show that was getting a little one-note beforehand."

Needless to say I heartfeltly agree!

And also thank you for supporting my post. I know none of us have the right to censor anyone else's opinion (and it has never been my intention), and everyone have the right to like/dislike anything they want, but there are things that cross the line and are just rude and unnecessary.

I'm happy to see Mayim is getting recognition, I think she really deserves it. I liked this review compares her with Jim, because that's exactly how I feel it. Mayim has the very difficult task of perform a character that is supposed to be most like/and be paired with perhaps the most popular and loved character of the show, and I think she is living up to the expectations in a wonderful way, making the character shine and attract attention by herself. I've been gushing about Jim in other posts, but that doesn't mean I think all the others are worthless, in fact, I've said before that I consider him the best one out of a cast full of good actors.

Now, we should post that link of yours in a thread with a more positive spirit, don't you think? :icon_wink:

Yes. Mayim has been given a difficult (and controversial) role, and IMO she's doing a pretty good job of it.

Now, we should post that link of yours in a thread with a more positive spirit, don't you think?

Yes, we should. :)

I thought I was the only one! haha :p Yeah AFF is one of TV's worst characters. I also think the whole show has started to go 'downhill' since the end of the 3rd season. I still maintain my opinion that the show's best season was the 1st, just one man's opinion..... :p

To relate to the comments on 2 and 3, I speak Sheldonian sometimes with my parents and boy do they get mad.

On the topic note, I am not a fan of Amy whatsoever. The only time I really 'liked' Amy was during her tiara moment. "Put it on me put it on me!" That was the best moment of hers in my opinion. But I don't like the way that there are practically 2 Sheldons in the show. I know she's a bit more physical than Sheldon and of course has a more open mind to open relationships than he does, I don't exactly love her dry humor. But she has become such a popular fan to the Amy fans that eliminating her off the show entirely would possibly bring down ratings? I don't know if she's that big of a character to the fans so I can't predict all too well. Plus, we have all seen how Sheldon reacted when Amy dated Stuart so eliminating her or killing off the relationship between Sheldon and Amy could possibly destroy Sheldon's character. The possibilities are endless with the destruction of Amy so as much as the Amy haters hate her, we can't get what we want without running the show into ruin or just cheesy getting over Amy themed series and I don't know about you guys but i would grow a permanent migrane if that happened.