The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
keithb103

I seriously hate Amy Farrah Fowler

Eh, Amy leaving the show wouldn't cause a significant change in viewers. I think any of the characters, with the exception of Sheldon, could probably leave without there being major repercussions.

I don't think Amy is as popular with the average viewer as the fandom would lead one to believe; there happen to be a lot of vocal Shamy fans and a handful who, for reasons unbeknownst to me, have adapted a fierce urge to protect Amy.

Personally, I don't mind the character, but I wouldn't lose sleep over her leaving the show either. I despise Shamy. People keep saying how unique it is, but I disagree. A man who claims he doesn't need love falling for someone in spite of his best efforts not to? Unique, indeed! What is actually unique is Sheldon, and his relationship with Amy is slowly sapping him of that.

Guest I'm not dead Cheryl

"Amy themed series"? she had two storylines last season, and she wasn't even in all episodes! -exaggerating much?

I totally agree with BazinaGirl! Could not have said it better.

isnt it soft kitty then warm kitty?

I love Amy she is so funny! and I think she has made the show even funnier

Amy has her moments, but overall her character is too predictable. Sheldon is someone who changes very, very slowly over time if at all. When you look at him in season 1 and fast forward to now, not much has changed except for him being a little more tolerant and considerate of his friends (but only because they have been giving to him, which drives him to be nicer in return because deep down he hates to be in debt). But for him to shift his mindset and start thinking of a romantic relationship with someone like AFF? No way. Not within the amount of time this series will have, anyway. Would AFF wait for it? No. Despite her frigidity and social awkwardness, she wants to be in a physical relationship. And if she's not going to bond with Sheldon beyond basic friendship, I don't see why she needs to have much time on the show other than the occasional guest appearance to assist with an episode story line.

Amy has her moments, but overall her character is too predictable. Sheldon is someone who changes very, very slowly over time if at all. When you look at him in season 1 and fast forward to now, not much has changed except for him being a little more tolerant and considerate of his friends (but only because they have been giving to him, which drives him to be nicer in return because deep down he hates to be in debt). But for him to shift his mindset and start thinking of a romantic relationship with someone like AFF? No way. Not within the amount of time this series will have, anyway. Would AFF wait for it? No. Despite her frigidity and social awkwardness, she wants to be in a physical relationship. And if she's not going to bond with Sheldon beyond basic friendship, I don't see why she needs to have much time on the show other than the occasional guest appearance to assist with an episode story line.

Uhmmm they are way more than just a "basic friendship"... they are actually dating, and Sheldon has recognized to Leonard that he has feelings for her/held her hand on the finale. That is way more than just a "basic friendship" for both of them.

I think it won't necessarily take that much time if he actually naturally begins to like it. All he really needed was the right person and the right way to sweep him off his feet, and that person is Amy. And if he didn't like it as much, it's gonna require more time. But there is a natural progression for Sheldon, even though we know he won't like these things at first I think forcing a situation to happen won't work. Not that I expect Amy to put pressure on him or anything, if she was going on to turn on her charm again, I hope it's as delicate as what she did in TLA.

Eh, Amy leaving the show wouldn't cause a significant change in viewers. I think any of the characters, with the exception of Sheldon, could probably leave without there being major repercussions.

I don't think Amy is as popular with the average viewer as the fandom would lead one to believe; there happen to be a lot of vocal Shamy fans and a handful who, for reasons unbeknownst to me, have adapted a fierce urge to protect Amy.

Personally, I don't mind the character, but I wouldn't lose sleep over her leaving the show either. I despise Shamy. People keep saying how unique it is, but I disagree. A man who claims he doesn't need love falling for someone in spite of his best efforts not to? Unique, indeed! What is actually unique is Sheldon, and his relationship with Amy is slowly sapping him of that.

I completely agree! Cross the Shamy fans at your own risk. I think they want to see the ugly duckling "blossom" into a beautiful swan. Way too much estrogen in that story line for me. And it IS destroying Sheldon's uniqueness.

well, everyone can have their own opinion. And I surely don't agree that she is "destroying" anything, especially not Sheldon, but to each their own, not gonna convince anyone anyway-.

You're wrong in one thing though, most of the fans of Amy/Shamy I know DO NOT want a "makeover" episode, or turn Amy into a model or something. We like her as she is.

btw.. what is wrong with estrogen anyway? is just a hormone.

I completely agree! Cross the Shamy fans at your own risk. I think they want to see the ugly duckling "blossom" into a beautiful swan. Way too much estrogen in that story line for me. And it IS destroying Sheldon's uniqueness.

well, everyone can have their own opinion. And I surely don't agree that she is "destroying" anything, especially not Sheldon, but to each their own, not gonna convince anyone anyway-.

You're wrong in one thing though, most of the fans of Amy/Shamy I know DO NOT want a "makeover" episode, or turn Amy into a model or something. We like her as she is.

btw.. what is wrong with estrogen anyway? is just a hormone.

Absolutely, I'm a big Shamy fan & it would ruin everything if they turned Amy from a brilliant socially awkward nerd into an average cute female. That's Shenny. Jim Parsons is smart enough to understand that without Mayim his character will be stagnant, the eternal 'robot', so he relishes the Shamy. Look what's happened to Raj: his character has dried up.

yeah what's wrong with estrogen? You do know that men have it too:icon_cool:

Amy is a powerhouse, they certainly didn't pick a wallflower to play Sheldon's other half. Love her or loath her, she's impossible to ignore. I can see why Chuck and Bill were so impressed by Mayim, she packs quite a punch onscreen. My only problem with her is, she's such a powerful character she can literally take over a scene. She works best with Sheldon because he is so charismatic, he tones her down nicely. Some of the more subtle characters get a bit swamped and she needs to be used with care. It's interesting to note how different the dynamic is, when it's Amy and Sheldon. She doesn't seem so overwhelming and the balance is better. She also works well with Penny because Penny has the charisma to match her. Some of the recent Penny/Amy scenes are been really good IMO.

Amy's scenes with Penny and Bernie are making me cringe more often than not.

I liked the scene when Amy gets a text from Stuart and later when the girls play twister. But I know what you mean, Amy and Penny scenes are good now they have stopped Amy's ambiguous comments but throw Bernadette in the mix and it can get a tad dull at times. It may be because Bernadette and Penny's friendship is not that interesting or funny on it's own.

IMO the AFF character represents what's been so wrong with comedic portrayals these days. Where and when will the borderline-extremism, which the writers think is funny, stop being funny? I believe I have an open mind when it comes to comedy, but lately it seems the writers are going places that will eventually lead to a certain kind of mindset. I don't know what that might be but, I thought it was bad enough that Corporate and Political leaders lie to the public and the comedians are making us laugh by telling the truth! What new clowns will amuse us ten years from now?

i like amy, i love that even though shes a nerd shes always horny lol

She was not horny when she introduced her mother to Sheldon :icon_confused:

I really like Amy.

I think that a major factor in the premise of the show is how Penny has entered the lives of these geeky nerds and has started to kind of humanize them to varying degrees.

Her relationship with Leonard helped him be more grown up, in some ways, though he is still essentially insecure with women. Still, as they've started to rekindle their relationship, I think he's coming across as a little more "normal", but, fortunately, with his wide geek stripe still pretty much intact.

Bernadette also humanized Howard, but since she's also a science geek and understands their world, she still fits in with the gang. Howard isn't as much of a woman-chasing dog, but he's found an outlet for his brand of "sexy!"

For Sheldon, Amy brings a major humanizing factor into play--but she herself is humanized by the influence of Penny and Bernadette.

I don't think it's a matter of changing Sheldon all that much, except to maybe expose that part of him that actually craves a relationship, even if he isn't really interested in sex like the others are (at least, not yet!) I think that up until now, there hasn't been any woman who really is on the same wavelength as him. He had that female scientist "friend" who came to visit (and who slept with Leonard, etc.), but as much as he may have admired her scientific acheivements, she turned out to be a completely different kind of person.

Amy, on the other hand, is very much like him in many ways, except that she has found that she wants to be a "real girl" and in the accepting nature of Penny and Bernadette, she's been able to explore that--having female friends to hang with, having her first slumber party, going shopping and going out for drinks, and even being a maid of honor.

One of my favorite moments was when Penny made Sheldon buy Amy an apology gift and Amy got all excited when he gave her the tiara.

What I like is that the writers are slowly bringing her out of her shell and Sheldon is finding that he wants a relationship with her, even though he's still somewhat stymied about what that entails, and maybe even a little afraid of it.

I think they're really hitting the marks well with how the guys and gals are paired up.

Now if only Raj could have a girlfriend. :icon_wink:

I really like Amy.

I think that a major factor in the premise of the show is how Penny has entered the lives of these geeky nerds and has started to kind of humanize them to varying degrees.

Her relationship with Leonard helped him be more grown up, in some ways, though he is still essentially insecure with women. Still, as they've started to rekindle their relationship, I think he's coming across as a little more "normal", but, fortunately, with his wide geek stripe still pretty much intact.

Bernadette also humanized Howard, but since she's also a science geek and understands their world, she still fits in with the gang. Howard isn't as much of a woman-chasing dog, but he's found an outlet for his brand of "sexy!"

For Sheldon, Amy brings a major humanizing factor into play--but she herself is humanized by the influence of Penny and Bernadette.

I don't think it's a matter of changing Sheldon all that much, except to maybe expose that part of him that actually craves a relationship, even if he isn't really interested in sex like the others are (at least, not yet!) I think that up until now, there hasn't been any woman who really is on the same wavelength as him. He had that female scientist "friend" who came to visit (and who slept with Leonard, etc.), but as much as he may have admired her scientific acheivements, she turned out to be a completely different kind of person.

Amy, on the other hand, is very much like him in many ways, except that she has found that she wants to be a "real girl" and in the accepting nature of Penny and Bernadette, she's been able to explore that--having female friends to hang with, having her first slumber party, going shopping and going out for drinks, and even being a maid of honor.

One of my favorite moments was when Penny made Sheldon buy Amy an apology gift and Amy got all excited when he gave her the tiara.

What I like is that the writers are slowly bringing her out of her shell and Sheldon is finding that he wants a relationship with her, even though he's still somewhat stymied about what that entails, and maybe even a little afraid of it.

I think they're really hitting the marks well with how the guys and gals are paired up.

Now if only Raj could have a girlfriend. :icon_wink:

if I wasn't already engaged I would ask your post to marry me :) absolutely agree!

They should just run the show on Lifetime Network already and get it over with...the comedy and geek chic writing has been buried under sentimental cooing and forced pairings.

No likey.

I don't think it's a matter of changing Sheldon all that much, except to maybe expose that part of him that actually craves a relationship, even if he isn't really interested in sex like the others are (at least, not yet!)

I know people don't really like to point this out, but Sheldon is a fully grown man, and won't do any more physical maturing. The changes we've seen in him over the course of the series has been emotional. There's no reason to believe that he will wake up one day and suddenly have a sex drive. He's 30, he's not 13.

I know a lot of fans who would kill me for saying so, but even if Amy can endear herself to Sheldon to the point that he feels he can't live without her emotionally, and he proposes marriage (still, a long way off), if Amy's comments on sexuality are genuine, and not just expressed in an attempt to 'fit in', and 'be cool', then I predict that she and Sheldon will have a real problem in the future.

It's not uncommon, for people who display a lot of very similar symptoms to Sheldon's, to have little or no sex drive. So here's hoping Amy is just blowing smoke, and if they do become more intimate, they will find a way that works for them both, and doesn't involve placing unreasonable expectations on Sheldon when there's not much he can do about the way he is.

That said, I don't doubt that Amy has desire... for something. But I think she's still figuring it out herself. I believe her sudden and desperate sexual appetite may stem from her intimate feelings for Sheldon, and that's why she suddenly felt herself attracted to Zac, and pining after Sheldon, especially when she's drunk. But she turned down her perceived chance with Zac, so that tells us her desire isn't completely sex-based. Again, I hope she and Sheldon can find even ground somewhere.

Frankly, I think most people would benefit from finding even ground long before they introduce sex into the relationship. Leonard, for example, would probably not have had his heart ripped out of his chest so often if he and Penny could actually talk about their feelings before they took it to the bedroom.

I don't think it's a matter of changing Sheldon all that much, except to maybe expose that part of him that actually craves a relationship, even if he isn't really interested in sex like the others are (at least, not yet!)

I know people don't really like to point this out, but Sheldon is a fully grown man, and won't do any more physical maturing. The changes we've seen in him over the course of the series has been emotional. There's no reason to believe that he will wake up one day and suddenly have a sex drive. He's 30, he's not 13.

I know a lot of fans who would kill me for saying so, but even if Amy can endear herself to Sheldon to the point that he feels he can't live without her emotionally, and he proposes marriage (still, a long way off), if Amy's comments on sexuality are genuine, and not just expressed in an attempt to 'fit in', and 'be cool', then I predict that she and Sheldon will have a real problem in the future.

It's not uncommon, for people who display a lot of very similar symptoms to Sheldon's, to have little or no sex drive. So here's hoping Amy is just blowing smoke, and if they do become more intimate, they will find a way that works for them both, and doesn't involve placing unreasonable expectations on Sheldon when there's not much he can do about the way he is.

That said, I don't doubt that Amy has desire... for something. But I think she's still figuring it out herself. I believe her sudden and desperate sexual appetite may stem from her intimate feelings for Sheldon, and that's why she suddenly felt herself attracted to Zac, and pining after Sheldon, especially when she's drunk. But she turned down her perceived chance with Zac, so that tells us her desire isn't completely sex-based. Again, I hope she and Sheldon can find even ground somewhere.

Frankly, I think most people would benefit from finding even ground long before they introduce sex into the relationship. Leonard, for example, would probably not have had his heart ripped out of his chest so often if he and Penny could actually talk about their feelings before they took it to the bedroom.

I don't think that they'll go so far as to have the Shamy get sexually involved, but I doubt they'll take the issue as seriously as you seem to be laying it out.

I think that they'll continue to play their awkwardness and uneven approaches for laughs, not as a matter of Amy's dashed hopes or Sheldon's inability to ever have a sex drive.

While I certainly don't advocate sex before relationship, I also don't expect this show to take it all that seriously. :icon_wink:

I don't think that they'll go so far as to have the Shamy get sexually involved, but I doubt they'll take the issue as seriously as you seem to be laying it out.

I think that they'll continue to play their awkwardness and uneven approaches for laughs, not as a matter of Amy's dashed hopes or Sheldon's inability to ever have a sex drive.

While I certainly don't advocate sex before relationship, I also don't expect this show to take it all that seriously. :icon_wink:

I dunno, I think off-screen the writers often take it very seriously, even if when they write it, they try to keep things more light-hearted and funny. When I see interviews, it seems like everyone says things like "oh I had so much trouble getting through that scene without crying!" Like when Sheldon hugged Penny, or when he held Amy's hand. I love the show, obviously, but I have yet to tear up watching it.

phantagrae - perfectly put. :)

Regarding whether they're going to portray Sheldon and Amy's apparent difference in physical desire seriously or not.. I think they have been walking a very fine line with it, so far, and the season 6 spoilers indicate that they're going to continue on that path. For the most part, everything on TBBT is played for laughs - every fleeting moment of tenderness or angst is followed by a comedic throwaway line - and I like that about the show, it prevents them from getting too soapy and dramatic. But I think it's also obvious that they take the Sheldon/Amy relationship seriously, in terms of giving a lot of thought and care in progressing it at a near-perfect pace - more thought, I'd say, than they're giving to Leonard/Penny.

So I predict that there will certainly be continuing touches of sweetness or intensity there, like their first kiss and Sheldon's sorry in Vacation Solution and the hand-holding. There will also be baby steps forward towards greater comfort with intimacy, on Sheldon's part; and Amy feeling deprived at times; but being TBBT, they're never going to get into a serious analysis of the angst associated with unmatched sex drives.

Mightylin you are a goddess. I find it difficult to imagine a sex drive from this character, there is no evident. He has affection for Amy which is developing but I'm not sure I want to see