I seriously hate Amy Farrah Fowler

I like her and she has changed a lot since the beginning where she was a bit robotic

I lked her when she was robotic because it was FUNNY. The new horny, sex-starved Amy is just creepy.

I agree...

I hate the way she is about Penny... I don't understand that relationship ...

And the question is: Love makes you horny?

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have locked the thread as, after three years, it appears to have run its course. The situation was obviously different back in 2011 when Amy had only been on the show for one season, but now it does

It's funny people still push Shenny, even in fanfiction the stories have all become just immature Ken and Barbie stories since the characters are so out of character. Amy was written to be for Sheldo

I think that people have to remember that no one exists in a vacuum, not even Sheldon.   Sheldon's line from The Jerusalem Duality (an ANCIENT episode) was quoted regarding his ongoing bafflement in

Posted Images

Dont forget Amy never had any proper friends and because of that she does not really know the boundaries of what should or should not be said

Yes but it was not popular with the fan base. I liked robotic Amy as well, she had a couldn't care less attitude to romance and it was cool.

I (kind of) agree with you inasmuch as Amy's lack of weight as far as her being an integral part of the show, yet... I wouldn't take it as far as saying I hate her. I feel for her, but, yes, she was not needed in the show. Neither was Bernadette, but she's really earned her stripes. Amy's an object of (and I do hate to say this) pitty, and I believe that's where those Amy-defenders stand, which sucks, because pitty shouldn't be used to elicit humor. She does have her moments, but not enough to merit her stance in the show. Mind you, with worthwhile evolutional writing, I believe that something could be done to keep her in there without interfering with either the fabric or integrity of BBT and still come out ahead, since, whether you agree or disagree, she has drawn a fan base which is rooted enough within the show to actually hurt it should she be erradicared from it. I really think they should have used the smart girl in the original pilot of the series sans the sexual urges Amy all too frequently gets. Regardless, no matter what we say, Sheldon's eventually gonna have to have sex, and I'd much rather it wouldn't happen with Amy because the show will definitely lose its whole momentum then. I could expand on it, but I'm not too fond of endless dribble in one shot.

I started disliking her from the get go, but, for Leonard's sake, I tolerated her. Even more so than Amy. Then she started to change Leonard... but once she turned her nose on Penny (humanly understandable, of course... Come on... what girl wouldn't respond that way towars Penny as an X hanging out at her guy's apt), she lost all consideration from me. I couldn't wait to see her off the set. I'm sure she'll be back, though. I'd like to see Leslie Winkle put her in her place on that episode.

I (kind of) agree with you inasmuch as Amy's lack of weight as far as her being an integral part of the show, yet... I wouldn't take it as far as saying I hate her. I feel for her, but, yes, she was not needed in the show. Neither was Bernadette, but she's really earned her stripes. Amy's an object of (and I do hate to say this) pitty, and I believe that's where those Amy-defenders stand, which sucks, because pitty shouldn't be used to elicit humor. She does have her moments, but not enough to merit her stance in the show. Mind you, with worthwhile evolutional writing, I believe that something could be done to keep her in there without interfering with either the fabric or integrity of BBT and still come out ahead, since, whether you agree or disagree, she has drawn a fan base which is rooted enough within the show to actually hurt it should she be erradicared from it. I really think they should have used the smart girl in the original pilot of the series sans the sexual urges Amy all too frequently gets. Regardless, no matter what we say, Sheldon's eventually gonna have to have sex, and I'd much rather it wouldn't happen with Amy because the show will definitely lose its whole momentum then. I could expand on it, but I'm not too fond of endless dribble in one shot.

I don't think that Amy is an object of pity. I think that Penny and Bernadette have had pity on her, but that's not to say she is a pitiable creature or that anyone is having fun at her expense.

I think she is no more an object of pity than any of the characters are. All of their geeky qualities have at some point in their lives, if not currently, made them the object of derision or rejection (getting beat up in school, can't get women, etc.) and one could argue that it takes maybe having pity on them, or maybe being merciful or patient, to look past their flaws or weaknesses.

I think that's how Penny has become able to say that Howard is her friend--at first she used to find him offensive with all his crude stupid pick-up lines.

In the episode where she really ends up hurting him with her cutting comments, this idea of pity or mercy is underscored.

When Howard is telling Penny his history of harsh encounters we see Penny beginning to have some understanding and even pity on him. That doesn't mean that he's a hopeless creature, just that she can see that he does have this vulnerability and that she can overlook his bad habits--as friends do.

Of course, she has to punch him in the nose first... :icon_wink:

I actually see Amy as kind of a combination of Sheldon and Howard.

Sheldon is somewhat oblivious to his own imperiousness and egotism and sort of demands that things be very specific and "Correct", according to what he thinks is correct. He's rigid (the Sheldonian Calendar) and domineering.

Howard has a sort of book-knowledge about what might turn a woman on, what's appropriate or inappropriate for trying to pick up women, what one should say or do on a date to impress the ladies, etc. This is why he thinks he needs to talk about "goth" things to pick up "goth" girls, or why he tries to throw a little French into his patter, to impress a woman. Maybe he read that in a men's magazine or saw it in a movie or looked it up on some internet dating site.

Amy has some of these similar qualities in that she's kind of rigid like Sheldon and convinced of her own intellectual superiority, but she's also full of ideas about sex and relationships derived mostly from books or movies or the internet, and not from any real-world experience.

Her inappropriate comments are done in a kind of oblivion--she doesn't recognize them as inappropriate because she's never really interacted with a group as she is now. Her claiming of Penny as her "bestie" is because she's eager to have a best friend. Penny is kind to her and she responds eagerly.

She wants to do all the "girl" things she's never been able to do--girl's night, shopping, being a maid of honor--and her lack of socialization is what causes her to make funny assumptions, like when Penny compliments her on that first date with Sheldon and Amy asks Penny if she's a lesbian, or when she assumes that Leonard looking at her in her new shoes means that he's lusting after her. She's read that these things happen and she's maybe a little eager to see such things in real life?

Anyway, I think she's a great addition to the mix of the cast because she's a catalyst for change to one of the most rigid and seemingly unchangeable characters--Sheldon.

I think that Leonard, Howard, and now Sheldon have each found the person best suited for them, though Howard is the only one so far to have taken it all the way to the altar.

I think that Leonard and Penny really are best suited for each other--they just have to figure it out and Penny needs to get over whatever hangup she seems to have.

Sheldon and Amy, though, are on perhaps a slightly more difficult journey. Although Amy is eager--again, I think she's a few steps ahead of Sheldon because she's been reading about relationships or whatever and is eager to see this one develop more, now that she's gotten more of a taste of being a "real girl" than she had had before.

And I think that she is simply truly drawn to Sheldon as he is to her, in spite of himself.

Sheldon has had to acknowledge to himself, and then to Amy, that he likes her more than simply as a pal, and now he's seeing that a relationship of the mind might not be enough for Amy--and maybe eventually not for him, either.

He has to get past his self-centeredness, which he's never really had to do before. His friends have learned to tolerate his demands, but as we've seen over the past few years, there have been some inroads in that area. He's been pushed to learn to apologize, etc., and now he's learning what it means to be someone's boyfriend.

I think that character growth is good, especially with these likeable people, and I've been enjoying the way Amy is pushing Sheldon's boundaries outward.

I really like the shamy. But I would like to see more character development with amy, so we can see why sheldon likes her so much. Amy was too much like Leonard in season 5 (low self esteem). I liked her better in season 4, and there also seemed to be more chemistry between sheldon and amy in season 4 (in my opinion).

We will see what happens in season 6.

I really like the shamy. But I would like to see more character development with amy, so we can see why sheldon likes her so much. Amy was too much like Leonard in season 5 (low self esteem). I liked her better in season 4, and there also seemed to be more chemistry between sheldon and amy in season 4 (in my opinion).

We will see what happens in season 6.

I agree with BazingaFan season 5 Amy was kind of sad, a bit desperate to fit in; whereas she was so funny & upfront in season 4. She just claimed Penny as her 'bestie,' etc. I hope season 6 has strong Amy again. I love her character:icon_biggrin:

The character of Amy reminds me of me in my younger days. It is nice to finally see on TV a character that isn't all about the waist size, the big hair, the perfect teeth or the gaggles of boyfriends that hang off every cheerleader.

When I was in school, I had the pinned back, straight hair, frumpy skirts and sensible shoes. Never got invited to parties or was ever picked first for a team (even though I was athletic and a long distance runner), never had a sleep over or was invited to one and I didn't have a boyfriend until I finished school. I can certainly identify with the character of Amy.

I guess, if you had never been one of those girls that Amy characterizes that you wouldn't be able to see the funny side of the character nor would you be able to empathise with the character.

You see, girls like me back in high school and university were ignored by even the nerdy males and certainly by all the cool kids. I find people who can't identify with the character of Amy are sometimes the same people that tended to ignore the girls like me except when they needed a tutor or someone to laugh at or pull a practical joke on.

I would hazard a further guess that the dislike of the character isn't about the actual character but the archetype that she represents - that girl back in school that every one ignored...maybe seeing one of these girls again makes you feel uncomfortable because of the way you may have treated them.

For women like me who lived the life that Amy's character portrays, love her and love the writers for including her in the cast.

Wow. This is sort of out of place in a thread like this... but Amy is awesome. Funny without trying to be. Sort of a Sheldon who cares what people think of her. I find her annoying too sometimes, but you either love her or hate her. And she has grown on me. GO AMY!

The character of Amy reminds me of me in my younger days. It is nice to finally see on TV a character that isn't all about the waist size, the big hair, the perfect teeth or the gaggles of boyfriends that hang off every cheerleader.

When I was in school, I had the pinned back, straight hair, frumpy skirts and sensible shoes. Never got invited to parties or was ever picked first for a team (even though I was athletic and a long distance runner), never had a sleep over or was invited to one and I didn't have a boyfriend until I finished school. I can certainly identify with the character of Amy.

I guess, if you had never been one of those girls that Amy characterizes that you wouldn't be able to see the funny side of the character nor would you be able to empathise with the character.

You see, girls like me back in high school and university were ignored by even the nerdy males and certainly by all the cool kids. I find people who can't identify with the character of Amy are sometimes the same people that tended to ignore the girls like me except when they needed a tutor or someone to laugh at or pull a practical joke on.

I would hazard a further guess that the dislike of the character isn't about the actual character but the archetype that she represents - that girl back in school that every one ignored...maybe seeing one of these girls again makes you feel uncomfortable because of the way you may have treated them.

For women like me who lived the life that Amy's character portrays, love her and love the writers for including her in the cast.

Have said it before, but.. seriously, this is so me-too. High-five!

Just look at my user name,then you'll know

And we all thought high school was over for most of us... but here it is again... Highschool v2.1 redux.

What your user name implies is that you're a forgotten bundle of neanderthal DNA, knuckle dragging bully that is is attempting to relive your glory days of grade 9.

You're not clever, smart or even remotely funny. You're just a boring, internet troll and dullard.

Life must be pretty sad for you if you can use energy to create a user name, that in my opinion rates about -10 for effort, originality and humour, that fails so miserably at getting your point across.

Here's a question for you mr-wannabe-smarty-pants... how does one go about fvcking a fictional TV character? Do you dry hump your flat screen?

Sheesh, some people should really learn to check the nanny locks on their kid's computer.

• Like 1

And we all thought high school was over for most of us... but here it is again... Highschool v2.1 redux.

What your user name implies is that you're a forgotten bundle of neanderthal DNA, knuckle dragging bully that is is attempting to relive your glory days of grade 9.

You're not clever, smart or even remotely funny. You're just a boring, internet troll and dullard.

Life must be pretty sad for you if you can use energy to create a user name, that in my opinion rates about -10 for effort, originality and humour, that fails so miserably at getting your point across.

Here's a question for you mr-wannabe-smarty-pants... how does one go about fvcking a fictional TV character? Do you dry hump your flat screen?

Sheesh, some people should really learn to check the nanny locks on their kid's computer.

Perfect! :icon_mrgreen:

Guest I'm not dead Cheryl

Perfect! :icon_mrgreen:

standing ovation to your post EddieTellerstory!!

I like Amy..But I liked her character more in season 4 than in season 5...especially when priya was there Amy was the Rockstar.. not even sheldon could compete with her..in sitcom terms...sheldon had to be straight man to Amy..

My favorite Sheldon-Amy interaction

Sheldon- I must say Amy , pretending to have intercourse with you has given me great deal of satisfaction

Amy - Slow down Sheldon , I am not quite there yet...

I still like her in season 5 but now she is rather a sympathetic character(on most of the occasions)... and her lesbian comments to penny creep the hell out me( I don't know why because I always found the gay comments between Raj and Howard to be hilarious)

I like Amy..But I liked her character more in season 4 than in season 5...especially when priya was there Amy was the Rockstar.. not even sheldon could compete with her..in sitcom terms...sheldon had to be straight man to Amy..

Sheldon- I must say Amy , pretending to have intercourse with you has given me great deal of satisfaction

I still like her in season 5 but now she is rather a sympathetic character(on most of the occasions)... and her lesbian comments to penny creep the hell out me( I don't know why because I always found the gay comments between Raj and Howard to be hilarious)

Agreed. She was funnier in season 4 and had more self esteem -- more likeable than she is now.

Let me try and explain the fascination with Penny by Amy . I'm one of those women that was made fun of in school because of my looks - tall, skinny and incredible awkward with a horrible pair of eyeglasses perched on my nose. Add in that I was always getting academic rewards, science fair wins and generally made fun of because of my nerd and geek factor... to me a girl like Penny would never be my friend, hang out with me or if they did, it would be to do something to make more fun of me.

So when a girl like Penny who by the very nature of her looks and popularity epitomizes and idealizes the perfect patriarchal, ideological American/Canadian female student/woman shows up in your life - even if it is at first by mere association... you kind of want to emulate them just to stop being picked upon.

Now take Amy, not only in the last two seasons has she met a man who looks past her physical attributes but also admires her for her brains... for a geeky/nerd woman that's a dream come true.. now add in that Amy has also becomes friends with what would have been the popular girl in highschool and college and you have a person that is like a kid in a candy shop trying out all the different sweets that were always on the top shelf and kept away from her.

Nothing creepy about it...just latent adolescent behaviour that has finally been afforded to Amy to experience. If anything it's sad that this character draws so much ire - kind of like when we were in school. Some things never change I guess... geeky kids will always be the brunt of the "cool kids" meanness.

Let me try and explain the fascination with Penny by Amy . I'm one of those women that was made fun of in school because of my looks - tall, skinny and incredible awkward with a horrible pair of eyeglasses perched on my nose. Add in that I was always getting academic rewards, science fair wins and generally made fun of because of my nerd and geek factor... to me a girl like Penny would never be my friend, hang out with me or if they did, it would be to do something to make more fun of me.

So when a girl like Penny who by the very nature of her looks and popularity epitomizes and idealizes the perfect patriarchal, ideological American/Canadian female student/woman shows up in your life - even if it is at first by mere association... you kind of want to emulate them just to stop being picked upon.

Now take Amy, not only in the last two seasons has she met a man who looks past her physical attributes but also admires her for her brains... for a geeky/nerd woman that's a dream come true.. now add in that Amy has also becomes friends with what would have been the popular girl in highschool and college and you have a person that is like a kid in a candy shop trying out all the different sweets that were always on the top shelf and kept away from her.

Nothing creepy about it...just latent adolescent behaviour that has finally been afforded to Amy to experience. If anything it's sad that this character draws so much ire - kind of like when we were in school. Some things never change I guess... geeky kids will always be the brunt of the "cool kids" meanness.

Somewhere around here there's a link to an interview with Mayim Bialik where she talks a bit about the fascination that Amy has with Penny and all the things that Amy is going through.

She mentions something about Amy's "blossoming womanhood", which I think is key to a lot of what she's going through with Sheldon.

While she had, up until she met him, been happy to go on the occasional date to satisfy her mother and she was content to participate in experiments to satisfy certain physical urges, if you will, now her situation is very different.

As Penny, the type of beautiful, easily sociable girl that Amy might have wanted to be as she was growing up, has befriended Amy, Amy has found that she's not the social reject she'd been before. And now that she has Penny and Bernadette to hang out with, she's trying to emulate their female behaviors and social experiences, finally having a way to find that in herself, rather than being a sort of asexual academic.

Now, since her way into the group has been through her interaction with Sheldon, it had begun as an academic/intellectual relationship. But as she's discovering her own femininity and becoming more confident about it, she's happily embracing her desire for a more well-rounded relationship with Sheldon.

But Penny represents her idealized epitome of being female--pretty, well-socialized, experienced with men, etc.

That's one reason why she felt so left out when Penny and Bernadette went shopping without her. As she said, she felt that she'd been fooling herself about their friendship--that they weren't really her friends, that they had only been sort of tolerating her, etc., just as she had experienced in school.

I've never seen her comments to and about Penny as being really "lesbian", but more overly enthusiastic as she idolizes Penny, and of course, too socially uninhibited for a grown woman. In that regard Amy is a lot like Sheldon in that she's not skilled at the subtleties of social interaction and she more or less says whatever she's thinking.

I guess you are right..and I did not mean to offend any character by my post

But this is how I look into this issue(regarding the show)

Raj's gay comments towards Howard were portrayed in an innocent way because of which I always found them endearing

Where as Amy's lesbian comments towards Penny were portrayed in a lustful way (especially the painting episode) as a result of which I always found them creepy

Guest I'm not dead Cheryl

I guess you are right..and I did not mean to offend any character by my post

This is how I look into this issue(regarding the show)

Raj's gay comments towards Howard were portrayed in an innocent way because of which I always found them endearing

Where as Amy's lesbian comments towards Penny were portrayed in a lustful way (especially the painting episode) as a result of which I always found them creepy

the thing is, IMO that Amy doesn't make those comments (or didn't make, there haven't been any more of those since Rothman Disintegration) in a lustful way or because she wants to have sex with Penny. She sexualizes her admiration, because she doesn't know the appropiate way.

This is a post about Isolation Permutation one of the most famous bloggers of the Aspergers Community (to which I belong) made about Amy in that episode

http://thautcast.com/drupal5/content/amy-farrah-fowler-sad-little-tumor-no-one-wants-go-dress-shopping

it's short but I think it explains Amy's character a lot

I understand Amy's comments can make people unconfortable, whereas Raj/Howard's jokes don't. Howard and Raj have a filter that Amy doesn't have. She is more blunt about it, but it is because of how her character expresses herself, it doesn't mean that her intents are "lustful". She is as innocent as the guys, she's just bad at expressing it.

the thing is, IMO that Amy doesn't make those comments (or didn't make, there haven't been any more of those since Rothman Disintegration) in a lustful way or because she wants to have sex with Penny. She sexualizes her admiration, because she doesn't know the appropiate way.

This is a post about Isolation Permutation one of the most famous bloggers of the Aspergers Community (to which I belong) made about Amy in that episode

http://thautcast.com/drupal5/content/amy-farrah-fowler-sad-little-tumor-no-one-wants-go-dress-shopping

I am not saying that she made all those comments to have sex with Penny... it's just that I did not like the way it looked on screen because its purpose was to make us laugh not feel uncomfortable(as simple as that)...

And hey how could you miss the most famous lesbian(idolization) comment from Amy towards Penny in Sheldon's hair episode

I am not saying that she made all those comments to have sex with Penny... it's just that I did not like the way it looked on screen because its purpose was to make us laugh not feel uncomfortable(as simple as that)...

And hey how could you miss the most famous lesbian(idolization) comment from Amy towards Penny in Sheldon's hair episode

You mean where she said, "There isn't a hair on my body I wouldn't let that woman cut"??

Again, I don't think she was thinking of Penny in a sexual way.

I think that it was partly a statement of total trust in Penny, with a sort of exaggeration, and partly Amy's lack of understanding of what's appropriate or inappropriate in terms of analogy and imagery.