I seriously hate Amy Farrah Fowler

the thing is, IMO that Amy doesn't make those comments (or didn't make, there haven't been any more of those since Rothman Disintegration) in a lustful way or because she wants to have sex with Penny. She sexualizes her admiration, because she doesn't know the appropiate way.

This is a post about Isolation Permutation one of the most famous bloggers of the Aspergers Community (to which I belong) made about Amy in that episode

http://thautcast.com/drupal5/content/amy-farrah-fowler-sad-little-tumor-no-one-wants-go-dress-shopping

it's short but I think it explains Amy's character a lot

I am not saying that she made all those comments to have sex with Penny... it's just that I did not like the way it looked on screen because its purpose was to make us laugh not feel uncomfortable(as simple as that)...

And hey how could you miss the most famous lesbian(idolization) comment from Amy towards Penny in Sheldon's hair episode

You do realize that if someone like Amy had been introduced into the highschool median of the cool kids, that she would have had an opportunity to play out fantasies, experiment and do all the things that popular kids take for granted as being their rights of initiation to adulthood... her isolation during school a character like Amy would not have had peers to bounce off the weird and wonderful angst of teen-hood.

I think the writers are spot on with their characterization of Amy as she develops on the show.

Strange how the nerdy guys can buffoon their way around socializing and they actually end up having a cheering section while they do it... nerdy girls are well.. always considered creepy when they tap dance on the landmines of socialization. I crack up over the dialogue of Amy and Penny... I've blurted out so many of the same kind of comments...when I realized what a dork I must have sounded like it.. just cracks me up. Mayim's delivery is hilarious and can easily be identified with if you were ever one of those geeky/nerdy girls.

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have locked the thread as, after three years, it appears to have run its course. The situation was obviously different back in 2011 when Amy had only been on the show for one season, but now it does

It's funny people still push Shenny, even in fanfiction the stories have all become just immature Ken and Barbie stories since the characters are so out of character. Amy was written to be for Sheldo

I think that people have to remember that no one exists in a vacuum, not even Sheldon.   Sheldon's line from The Jerusalem Duality (an ANCIENT episode) was quoted regarding his ongoing bafflement in

Posted Images

You do realize that if someone like Amy had been introduced into the highschool median of the cool kids, that she would have had an opportunity to play out fantasies, experiment and do all the things that popular kids take for granted as being their rights of initiation to adulthood... her isolation during school a character like Amy would not have had peers to bounce off the weird and wonderful angst of teen-hood.

I think the writers are spot on with their characterization of Amy as she develops on the show.

Strange how the nerdy guys can buffoon their way around socializing and they actually end up having a cheering section while they do it... nerdy girls are well.. always considered creepy when they tap dance on the landmines of socialization. I crack up over the dialogue of Amy and Penny... I've blurted out so many of the same kind of comments...when I realized what a dork I must have sounded like it.. just cracks me up. Mayim's delivery is hilarious and can easily be identified with if you were ever one of those geeky/nerdy girls.

Guys Guys.... I found her sexually blunt comments to sheldon and leonard(shoe heels scene) hilarious... but did not find her comments towards penny funny.... so what's the big deal....they are just my opinions... easy peasy.. :icon_cheesygrin:

Guest I'm not dead Cheryl

Absolutely agreed. I have noticed for some time that the Amy fanbase is largely composed of us nerdy-geeky/awkward girls while is usually males or non-nerd girls the ones who are either ambivalent/indifferent/hate her character. I might be very off in my observation, but it is what I've noticed.

Amy's character was what made me go from casual fan of the show to obsessed to the point of getting into forums and tumblr and stuff. She's on #1 of my top 3 female characters of all time. She's just my favorite. as evidenced on this thread I made some time ago http://forum.the-big-bang-theory.com/thread-2675.html

@vasu: I totally understand, we all have different tastes and perceptions, we are not trying to attack you or convince you otherwise, what me, and other posters are doing is just explaining why we don't see it that way, that's all

Guys Guys.... I found her sexually blunt comments to sheldon and leonard(shoe heels scene) hilarious... but did not find her comments towards penny funny.... so what's the big deal....they are just my opinions... easy peasy.. :icon_cheesygrin:

I guess it's just that you characterized Amy's comments to/about Penny as "lesbian", which isn't at all what they're about.

Her comments to Leonard about not looking at her tush, etc., and that one scene after they go to the wedding together where she thinks she's made him fall in love with her, are also about mis-reading cues and misunderstanding comments, again because of her lack of social skills. She's suddenly feeling more womanly and she naively thinks that everyone else around her is seeing her the same way, or whatever.

But a lot of people have talked about Amy's comments toward Penny as being some kind of sexual hitting on Penny or lesbian, etc.

Whether or not one finds them funny is a separate issue from whether or not they are intended to be seen as Amy desiring sexual interaction with Penny.

While there have been some specific comments from Amy about lesbianism--again, largely stemming from Amy's misreading of social cues, like when Penny complimented her and Amy asked if Penny was a lesbian--most of what she says is just overly-enthusiastic idolization.

I guess it's just that you characterized Amy's comments to/about Penny as "lesbian", which isn't at all what they're about.

Oh regarding that , I am from India and english is'nt my native language so I could'nt figure out the appropriate wording :shy:

see I also characterized Raj's comments to Howard as gay :icon_biggrin:

I agree with a lot of this, but i think for a while the writers were purposely throwing some lesbian stuff in there by amy. I even read an article once that basically said that the amy character was liked by the lesbian community, or something like that.

I was a very nerdy girl in junior high, got some better in high school, and there were some mean girls I had to deal with. I relate to amy that way, but a lot of the outright weird things she says, is not nerdy so much as aspergers. i think they are trying to make her like sheldon in that way. But for whatever reason, when it's a girl it is not as likeable.

Okay, I explained this on another thread, but being the forum's resident real life lesbian who went to an all girls high school I'll explain again.

Adolescent girls get girl crushes, they idolize the 'top' head girl in their school and basically want to do everything with her. They can have romantic feelings too. It's not lesbian at all; eventually they discover boys and that's the end of the girl crush. Amy is going through that phase; she has a massive girl crush on Penny, because she's the cool girl who is including the geeky excluded girl.

All the awkward bicurious comments, especially the kissing scene in the club are very heterosexual; straight girls do this all the time when drunk in bars to excite their boyfriends, as they know it's a favorite male fantasy.

Lesbians in high school keep their straight girl crushes to themselves, they would never say what Amy does, as they know their feelings aren't returned. They suffer in silence, listen to sappy songs & eventually go to university where they find other lesbians and happily date them. They never kiss each other in straight bars to excite men; that's revolting.

The writers know all this; as the one time they depict a lesbian character Lakshmi, she wants a fake marriage with Raj whom she thinks is gay. This satisfies parents and society while allowing them to live their gay lives. And this is absolutely real.

Amy is no lesbian; just an adolescent girl going through a normal phase.

EddieTellerstory - increasing respect for your comments, especially the one in which you dismantled the troll. Very well said. :)

I agree with phantagrae and annieogly's interpretation of Amy's so-called 'lesbianism'. Anyway the show has cut down on that particular source of jokes, in the last few episodes.

As some of you said, it's sad that the character of an awkward science nerd girl on screen gets so much more negativity than very similar male characters, who are just found to be funny. Mayim once commented in an interview that society has less tolerance for 'difference from the norm' among females, because they are culturally more expected to conform to whatever the local norms are; and I think this is a reflection of that bias. However, it's heartening to see that the character of Amy is gradually gaining more widespread acceptance and popularity, thanks to some good writing and Mayim's excellent performance.

vasu - nice to meet another fan from India!

They seemed to have crammed all the nerdy girl stuff on to the one character. Bernadette is square, but I wouldn't call her a nerd. Aside from the hint of germ warfare super villain she's just a smart normal and quite conservative girl. Amy has been overloaded. She's got Sheldon's arrogance and social ineptitude, Howard's inappropriate sexual responses and Raj's desperate clinginess. It's a bit of a tall order.

As some of you said, it's sad that the character of an awkward science nerd girl on screen gets so much more negativity than very similar male characters, who are just found to be funny. Mayim once commented in an interview that society has less tolerance for 'difference from the norm' among females, because they are culturally more expected to conform to whatever the local norms are; and I think this is a reflection of that bias.

agree with this

They seemed to have crammed all the nerdy girl stuff on to the one character. Bernadette is square, but I wouldn't call her a nerd. Aside from the hint of germ warfare super villain she's just a smart normal and quite conservative girl. Amy has been overloaded. She's got Sheldon's arrogance and social ineptitude, Howard's inappropriate sexual responses and Raj's desperate clinginess. It's a bit of a tall order.

also agree with this

In response to annieogly post above, I guess I was lucky enough to have low self esteem and nerdiness but never have any of those traits of worshiping the popular girls like you describe above. I hated them, and did not want to be like them at all. I seeked out other nerdy girls like me to hang out with instead.

And I never had any desire to kiss another girl, and especially do it to impress a guy that would like something like that. I guess I had higher self esteem than I thought I did.

annieogly, that is exactly how I interpret Amy's character too. Honestly, I'm 19 and I think I'm also going through that phase that's she's currently going through. I'm a college student and I can't help but feel fascinated about the other females there (they're EVERYWHERE I TELL YOU), especially those who are good-looking, have broad hips or even have good breast-to-hips proportion. I sometimes find myself ogling them (nobody in real life knows me here so I guess I'm safe) and that I'm in what they call "identity crisis" phase That is why besides the social inadepness/social disability, I could highly relate to her because of having girl crushes. But at the end of the day, like Amy (oh come on, that "sexy praying mantis" comment?!), I find myself still highly attracted to men.

Amy being a tall order- I don't know. People around me first cringed at my use of puns and sexual innuendos and later on, they got used to it. I'm also clingy (I'm a hugger and I easily feel left out) that I almost became a complete stalker.

First let me start by saying I like Amy.

My opinion of Amy is probably the most volatile of all the characters on the show.

Part of this is that the character has changed a lot in two years some for the good some for the bad.

The character is funny most of the time.

Amy does some really creepy stuff like some of her comments to Penny.

First season Howard was more refined and he was a little creepy at times.

Her evolution from new bridesmaid to maid of honor to potential bridezilla is another example of this.

Part of this could just be Mayim does not do innocent as well as Jim.

I would love to see her interact more with other characters.

She has had lots of screen time almost all of it with Penny and Sheldon.

Priya in a few months had more interaction with more characters then Amy has in 2 years.

@BazingFan in my school, bullying and cliques weren't tolerated. The popular head girls were expected to befriend the new girls, especially the socially awkward ones. Though I'm socially adept I have tons of nerdy interests; all my friends are/were nerds; I like people who are smart & different. Regarding PDA's : you do have high self-esteem & frankly I was brought up to show reserve in public. Hand-holding is my limit.

@jeanalice it's a perfectly normal stage, no worries!

As for Amy, I think they made her the uber nerd at the risk of not developing her character enough. By that I mean her motivation -where she is really coming from. I love the character and want her to be more fully realized.

Come to think of it, she's got Leonard's desire to be normal and social, too.. hmm!

First let me start by saying I like Amy.

My opinion of Amy is probably the most volatile of all the characters on the show.

Part of this is that the character has changed a lot in two years some for the good some for the bad.

The character is funny most of the time.

Amy does some really creepy stuff like some of her comments to Penny.

First season Howard was more refined and he was a little creepy at times.

Her evolution from new bridesmaid to maid of honor to potential bridezilla is another example of this.

Part of this could just be Mayim does not do innocent as well as Jim.

I would love to see her interact more with other characters.

She has had lots of screen time almost all of it with Penny and Sheldon.

Priya in a few months had more interaction with more characters then Amy has in 2 years.

You're right I don't think Mayim does innocent so well as her comments just sound creepy-salacious. She should interact with the other characters, I think Raj might be a good mix with her, as he's such a sweet character. Amy doesn't do any activities as Sheldon's girlfriend with the group; play videogames, go to the movies, play paintball etc...I don' t think that's a wise move for the Shamy.

@Pomita, yes I noticed that both Amy and Leonard want to 'fit in' with what they regard as the norm.

I don't think BBT is show which tries to explore all the possible combinations with the characters...

When they find one good one.. they tend to stick with it...they tend to play safe :(

see how many s\p scenes we got in season 1-3 .... same situation with Amy also...

which is kind of a sad thing because all these characters combinations have the potential to be hilarious..

now they have 7 main characters..which means there are 127 different combinations :p .. and look how many they have explored...

oh heck they did not even explore all combinations from the main 5-- how many leonard/raj scenes have we got in 5 seasons.... :(

@Pomita : which part of India are you exactly from?

I don't think BBT is show which tries to explore all the possible combinations with the characters...

When they find one good one.. they tend to stick with it...they tend to play safe :(

see how many s\p scenes we got in season 1-3 .... same situation with Amy also...

which is kind of a sad thing because all these characters combinations have the potential to be hilarious..

now they have 7 main characters..which means there are 127 different combinations :p .. and look how many they have explored...

oh heck they did not even explore all combinations from the main 5-- how many leonard/raj scenes have we got in 5 seasons.... :(

Nice math. Strictly, shouldn't it be 120, because the 7 cases of each of the 7 characters by themselves can't be included in character combinations? :p

It's hard to tell which part of India I'm from. I'm Bengali, but grew up in the north (U.P), and am just now in Gujarat for work. What about you?

Nice math. Strictly, shouldn't it be 120, because the 7 cases of each of the 7 characters by themselves can't be included in character combinations? :p

It's hard to tell which part of India I'm from. I'm Bengali, but grew up in the north (U.P), and am just now in Gujarat for work. What about you?

Oh regarding that ... we have seen few scenes where sheldon, amy (harp scene), raj & leonard(dream scenes) are alone...where they are talking to themselves or thinking or doing what ever it is they are doing :p

so I included those 7 in the combinations :p (even if we go by mathematical definition single characters come under the set of all possible combinations :p)

I am from Hyderabad(born and raised) :)

I don't really see this as a weakness. In real life in a group of friend's you're probably going to have natural sort of pairings or whatever. In the Beatles, John and Paul were friends before they got together with George and later Ringo, and George and Ringo ended up being closer to each other than to the other two.

Among my college clique, our group dynamics kind of fell along fault lines, if you will. My two friends got an apt together, but at times I was closer to one friend and my sister was closer to the other, etc.

So I see it as pretty natural that Sheldon and Leonard as roommates would do stuff together while Howard and Raj would do stuff together and not necessarily pair off in other ways with the other guys, and so forth.

I don't think it's realistic that they'd have to mix up the combinations, especially given how they all came together.

I don't really see this as a weakness. In real life in a group of friend's you're probably going to have natural sort of pairings or whatever. In the Beatles, John and Paul were friends before they got together with George and later Ringo, and George and Ringo ended up being closer to each other than to the other two.

Among my college clique, our group dynamics kind of fell along fault lines, if you will. My two friends got an apt together, but at times I was closer to one friend and my sister was closer to the other, etc.

So I see it as pretty natural that Sheldon and Leonard as roommates would do stuff together while Howard and Raj would do stuff together and not necessarily pair off in other ways with the other guys, and so forth.

I don't think it's realistic that they'd have to mix up the combinations, especially given how they all came together.

I am not saying that its a weakness.I am just saying that they did not explore all the dynamics....

Basically I think the main issue behind this is the extreme focus on Sheldon's character...the writers always seems to butt in Sheldon when ever possible...At one point in the show I started to think the writers would discuss things like "What can we do with Sheldon this week" or "What should we feed Sheldon this week"

See in the Irish pub episode

Its Raj's sister who comes to town, ends up having sex with leonard...who by having sex with priya is breaking a pinky swear with howard..... and guess who the story is focused on - SHELDON

I thought the stage was set for a Leonard-Raj showdown but no....all the writers seem to be focused on is..Sheldon..Sheldon...Sheldon

Sheldon is the reason the show is successful but Sheldon is also the reason many of the other characters are so underdeveloped

See after 5 seasons of "CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT" where Raj and Penny stand :(

Come to think of it, she's got Leonard's desire to be normal and social, too.. hmm!

You are right! Amy does have Leonard's need to please as well. So that's all of them! They have made Amy a total composite of all the male characters. She's overloaded and quite complex. This seems to be confusing some viewers while others are identifying with her. It sounds to me like Mayim has nailed it! :icon_cheesygrin:

@jeanalice

Mayim interpretation of Amy seems to be quite realistic at this stage of life. Sorry, I did not mean that girls don't go through this, I meant that Amy has all the characteristics of all the male characters, rolled in to one female character and this is a lot to carry for the actress

I am not saying that its a weakness.I am just saying that they did not explore all the dynamics....

Basically I think the main issue behind this is the extreme focus on Sheldon's character...the writers always seems to butt in Sheldon when ever possible...At one point in the show I started to think the writers would discuss things like "What can we do with Sheldon this week" or "What should we feed Sheldon this week"

See in the Irish pub episode

Its Raj's sister who comes to town, ends up having sex with leonard...who by having sex with priya is breaking a pinky swear with howard..... and guess who the story is focused on - SHELDON

I thought the stage was set for a Leonard-Raj showdown but no....all the writers seem to be focused on is..Sheldon..Sheldon...Sheldon

Sheldon is the reason the show is successful but Sheldon is also the reason many of the other characters are so underdeveloped

See after 5 seasons of "CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT" where Raj and Penny stand :(

I completely agree with this! Doug and annieogly are focusing on Amy but criticism over character underdevelopment has been brought up before. Raj and Penny are prime candidates for this.

I'm a massive Sheldon fan but even I thought at times they overused him. He's was the focus for everything at one point. But this is how these writers work. As you stated earlier, they find a great combo and they stick to it. There were soooo many S/P stories in Season 3, that I felt Leonard was being wasted. Then next season they make Bernie and Amy more permanent. I think they gave Amy a lot of scenes with Penny because they just work.

I know this means more sheldon, but I want more shamy scenes. I feel there hasn't been enough development of their relationship especially since sheldon is the whole reason she is there. I still don't get why he likes her so much. I is a big leap for sheldon to have feelings for someone and I don't see the chemistry there to make it believable. Don't get me wrong, i love the shamy scenes that they have had, but feel the development has been lacking. Like someone said in a post earlier, she doesn't share any of his interests -- they have a relationship of the "mind" but you never hear them talk about anything related to their jobs or intellect. When he first met her, he was drawn to her because she showed no interest in "coitus" but now that has changed. I just need to see them together more interacting (like leonard-penny, howard-bernadette) so I can understand it.

Okay, I explained this on another thread, but being the forum's resident real life lesbian who went to an all girls high school I'll explain again.

Adolescent girls get girl crushes, they idolize the 'top' head girl in their school and basically want to do everything with her. They can have romantic feelings too. It's not lesbian at all; eventually they discover boys and that's the end of the girl crush. Amy is going through that phase; she has a massive girl crush on Penny, because she's the cool girl who is including the geeky excluded girl.

All the awkward bicurious comments, especially the kissing scene in the club are very heterosexual; straight girls do this all the time when drunk in bars to excite their boyfriends, as they know it's a favorite male fantasy.

Lesbians in high school keep their straight girl crushes to themselves, they would never say what Amy does, as they know their feelings aren't returned. They suffer in silence, listen to sappy songs & eventually go to university where they find other lesbians and happily date them. They never kiss each other in straight bars to excite men; that's revolting.

The writers know all this; as the one time they depict a lesbian character Lakshmi, she wants a fake marriage with Raj whom she thinks is gay. This satisfies parents and society while allowing them to live their gay lives. And this is absolutely real.

Amy is no lesbian; just an adolescent girl going through a normal phase.

Thanks. That is an illuminating observation that explains so much about Amy.

As for Amy, I think they made her the uber nerd at the risk of not developing her character enough. By that I mean her motivation -where she is really coming from. I love the character and want her to be more fully realized.

Amy was designed by the writers with too much singular motivation, to have Sheldon.

She is a quick clone of Leonard's mother, even down to her occupation and as such follows the same arch with Sheldon as Bev did. Beverly met Sheldon in the second season, fell in love with his mind, quite literally, (she did brain scans) and they were involved with a more intimate social interaction (karaoke) that was quite out of character for both of them.

They became close confidants over digital media for months to the point Sheldon was far closer to her than her own son. By their third season meeting, a drunken Beverly was so sexually turned on she gave him his first romantic kiss, something that they and Penny promised to not tell Leonard. The writers have followed this scenario for Amy except that they have replaced Bev's condescending tolerance for Penny with Amy's hero worship.

I look forward to the meeting of Dr. Beverly and Dr. Amy. They have a lot in common. :icon_biggrin:

Vasu - ok, ok, I'll give you those 7. :D

You are right! Amy does have Leonard's need to please as well. So that's all of them! They have made Amy a total composite of all the male characters. She's overloaded and quite complex. This seems to be confusing some viewers while others are identifying with her. It sounds to me like Mayim has nailed it! :icon_cheesygrin:

You bet!

I'm a massive Sheldon fan but even I thought at times they overused him. He's was the focus for everything at one point. But this is how these writers work. As you stated earlier, they find a great combo and they stick to it. There were soooo many S/P stories in Season 3, that I felt Leonard was being wasted. Then next season they make Bernie and Amy more permanent. I think they gave Amy a lot of scenes with Penny because they just work.

I agree. This is one reason I liked the expansion of the cast. I felt that season 3 had become too Sheldon-heavy, and with Amy and Bernadette and the new storylines, they were able to remove some of the focus on just Sheldon being crazy and eccentric.

I would also like to see more occasional scenes with cross-combinations of characters, though as phantagrae says, in general it is true that in a group of friends there are sub-pairings/groupings who are naturally closer to each other or spend more time together. But some of the unexpected scene pairings have worked so well, like Leonard/Amy in Pulled Groin or even Sheldon/Bernadette in Ornithophobia.

TBBT does indeed have a talented ensemble cast, and I hope they make full use of it!