Fun with numbers

4ofN

So, I plotted the viewership numbers per episode. You can see them here.

There are a few correlations.

1. Highest numbers are when Penny and Leonard are together

2. The show following their breakup had the lowest number of that season

3. The numbers have fallen off over season 4 when they concentrated more on relationship issues that with science / geek stuff.

It seems obvious to me what the viewers like. It also seems that you actually can have a popular show with two of the main characters in a happy relationship (yeah, yeah, I know - not always happy - blah, blah, blah).

Now riddle me this. Would you lose more viewers if it turns out that Raj and Penny did have sex or if they did not have sex?

There have been a lot of people who don't mind that they slept together. Would those people be upset to the point of no longer watching if it turns out that they didn't have sex? Probably not.

There are also a lot of people who seem very upset that Raj and Penny slept together. Would those people be upset to the point of no longer watching if it turns out they did have sex? There are certainly some who would stop watching – myself included.

If I was in charge of the show, I'd be careful about this one.

Interesting stats.

It didn't really bother me that Penny and Raj slept together. Certainly not going to stop me watching Season 5.

The final episode thread is still getting replies. It obviously got a lot of people talking about the direction of the show.

As I've said in previous posts, Season 4 wasn't the strongest season, but it still has it's share of great episodes.

I might tune in to season 5 but maybe not.

I'm one of those people who really hated the Raj / Penny hookup. I don't see any way they can get out of it without totally destroying the show, for me.

I might tune in to see what a train wreck it's become. More likely I'm just going to skip it. That being said, why am I posting here?

Well, I really enjoyed the first 2 seasons and liked the first half of season 3 quite a lot.

Season 4 was mostly lame and I have not bothered recording reruns.

I just wish season 4 had ended better. I miss TBBT.

I'm one of those people who really hated the Raj / Penny hookup. I don't see any way they can get out of it without totally destroying the show, for me.

I'll be watching the season 5 opener, but if they don't fix this, I'll never watch it again. It will be interesting to see the viewership numbers after the second show of season 5 to see how they change depending on how they handle this giant screw up.

I'll be watching the season 5 opener, but if they don't fix this, I'll never watch it again. It will be interesting to see the viewership numbers after the second show of season 5 to see how they change depending on how they handle this giant screw up.

thats what i will be doing...but then again...i don't have much to watch besides this and a few shows..so i will watch for the sake of watching but i think i wil only looking forward to sheldon, amy, howard, his mom, bernadette

Sheldon is one of those "love to hate" characters lol

right now im not loving to hate Raj, Penny & Leonard

Same here. I'll watch the first episode to see what they do with this whole Raj/Penny thing but if it isn't sorted out straight away I'll not watch any more episodes and my DVDs will be in the bin.

I predict a high rating for the first episode followed by a large fall off after and a huge fall off if they go ahead with the Raj sleep with Penny thing.

I think people will watch regardless of what they think of the last episode of Season 4.

I remember everyone getting all uptight when Rachel and Ross broke up (for like the millionth time!) on Friends, but the ratings held true and it is still one of the most popular shows to come out of the 90s.

There were certain seasons of Roseanne that I really didn't watch/enjoy, but I still have every season on dvd and watch them now and then.

Don't know if my dislike of a particular storyline in a show would prompt me to throw out my dvd collection though ?? Still, if the dvds go in the bin, I guess a couple of homeless guys get a chance to enjoy the show too. (assuming someone throws out a television set as well)

I think people will watch regardless of what they think of the last episode of Season 4.

I remember everyone getting all uptight when Rachel and Ross broke up (for like the millionth time!) on Friends, but the ratings held true and it is still one of the most popular shows to come out of the 90s.

There were certain seasons of Roseanne that I really didn't watch/enjoy, but I still have every season on dvd and watch them now and then.

Don't know if my dislike of a particular storyline in a show would prompt me to throw out my dvd collection though ?? Still, if the dvds go in the bin, I guess a couple of homeless guys get a chance to enjoy the show too. (assuming someone throws out a television set as well)

It's not just a one off story line though. If they go ahead with it they destroy the entire series. Penny and Leonard wouldn't even be friends let alone get back together, Raj and Leonard would not even be in the same room with each other it destroys the whole thing. I can't go back and enjoy earlier episodes knowing how it turns out.

Friends never had Ross or Racheal sleep with another core member of the group. They played with the whole Joey thing but they were sensible enough to take it slow and never to have them sleep together. Then once it was obvious it wasn't popular they ended it.

Time will tell, I guess. Season 5 will begin, it will run, people will watch it, people won't.

I agree with the Friends bit. True... they didn't pursue the storyline past Joey. I yield, sir :)

For me, there is absolutely no correlation between the viewership numbers and my enjoyment of the show. Taking the product moment correlation coefficient would be meaningless as its value would be close to zero.

But of course, that's just my two cents.

And... isn't binning your DVD collection just a little bit of an overreaction? After all, you paid for them...

For me, there is absolutely no correlation between the viewership numbers and my enjoyment of the show. Taking the product moment correlation coefficient would be meaningless as its value would be close to zero.

And... isn't binning your DVD collection just a little bit of an overreaction? After all, you paid for them...

Actually I agree with him. I can't watch the reruns even now because that finale upset me so much. It was trashy writing. No need to keep the disks if the show stays as they left it. I will never watch them again.

Actually I agree with him. I can't watch the reruns even now because that finale upset me so much. It was trashy writing. No need to keep the disks if the show stays as they left it. I will never watch them again.

If that's how you feel, then fine. But I still say it's a big overreaction to one episode. >_>

If that's how you feel, then fine. But I still say it's a big overreaction to one episode. >_>

Its not just the one episode. It has now put a taint on the relationships that will be in every future episode. This isn't just a sketch show.

It doesn't matter as much when Sheldon loves hospitals in some episodes and then hates them in another, that isn't central to the show's premise. It does matter though when they take the relationship that has been central throughout every season and add conflict that would be deeply disturbing emotionally in the real world.

Its not just the one episode. It has now put a taint on the relationships that will be in every future episode. This isn't just a sketch show.

It doesn't matter as much when Sheldon loves hospitals in some episodes and then hates them in another, that isn't central to the show's premise. It does matter though when they take the relationship that has been central throughout every season and add conflict that would be deeply disturbing emotionally in the real world.

Eh, I can see where you're coming from, but I guess the only real way to find out is to watch the first few episodes of the next season. Then, and only then, can we see if those taints have come to light.